http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tivo Mania!  (Read 1994 times)
dangerballs
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 07:02:49 AM »

So, I joined the Tivo club yesterday.  I picked up a Toshiba DVD player/80gb Tivo with component outputs for $80 at Bestbuy (after rebates).  I spent most of last night trying finding a place with a telephone outlet that I could use just to set the thing up.  I have it hooked up to my network now and that is working nicely.  I spent this evening flipping through channels hitting the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons trying to get better suggestions. (I wish that they had a onscreen tally of all the users that rate a particular show.)  

So far, I like it especially the pause function.  My player came with free lifetime Tivo Basic, but I'm using a 45-day free trial of Tivo Plus.  I'll probably end up paying for the service at the end of the trial.  I like the whole season pass/wish list thing.  Does anybody know how to record all the movies that appear on a certain channel?  I'd like to record all the movies that come on TNT and Comedy Central, but I don't want to pick them out one by one.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:07:50 PM »

I LOVE my TiVo. Don't think I could survive without it.

One thing that's been really getting on my nerves lately. My TiVo is bone-stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

I'll come home from work and see that it hasn't recorded anything all day, despite having plenty of room. Yet there's a Farscape marathon on Sci-fi and I've given Farscape three Thumbs-up.

OR, I'll find it recording some old movie off Turner Classic Movies that I have NO interest in, while there's a show playing on another channel that I've rated highly.

I actually had to take Animal Planet OUT of my list of available channels so it would stop taping frickin animal shows all the damn time.

Gah! Still love the thing, but it's retarded behaviour gets on my nerves.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:11:47 PM »

I turned the auto record stuff off about 2 weeks after getting it.  It was recording 1 show I wanted and 9 others I didn't just about every day.  So I just set up 15 or so season passes, another 15 or so on my other Tivo upstairs and now don't worry about it.

There is a new feature...HMO or the Home Media Option.  It's supposed to let you share the TiVo recordings from multiple units (if you have 2-3 in your house) over the network so you can watch any recorded show from any of them.  

Now if I could get a TiVo with a built in DVDR that wasn't the price of a small car it would be perfect.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 12:27:11 PM »

I love my TiVo. I haven't had to tell it not to record anything on its own, I just pressed thumbs up/down on some of the things it picked up, and over time it rarely records something that isn't at least POTENTIALLY interesting. smile Though with all the season passes we have set up here, there is rarely room left over for stuff IT thinks is worth taping.

You guys just gotta slap the TiVo around some so it listens to your likes and dislikes!

As for recording all the movies on a particular channel, I don't think there's a way to do that unless they're called "the big movie" or unless it comes on at the same time every night. You could always record from like 8-10 on TNT and get a movie most of the time I would think, but it wouldn't be a sure thing.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 12:45:49 PM »

I've gone the alternate route and have a Digital DVR box through Adelphia cable.

2 weeks ago I added a 2nd box, one that is capable of receiving High-Definition broadcasts.

What was amazing, and shocking at the same time is that my 36" RCA tv
is HD capable. My wife and I bought this TV back in 1998. After I got the new DVR box connected, I was amazed that I was receiving HD broadcasts.

Now I get CBS, FOX, HBO, Showtime, ESPN, and there's some specialty channels that are dedicated to HD programming. There's a channel called INHD, and they show programming that was filmed for IMAX theaters, and the quality of the image is outstanding.

It's amazing that the quality level of HD is like watching a DVD.

I don't mind the fact that I rent the DVR boxes from my cable company, because if there's ever any problem with the boxes I just exchange them out for another unit.

I love watching HD broadcasts, the screen quality and sharpness is THE BEST.
Quipp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 06:35:27 PM »

Just got a Tivo myself a couple of days ago. I love it already. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to get one. It certainly couldn't be from the lack of pimping the thing got on GoneGold. :wink:
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 06:39:39 PM »

I've been a happy tivo-er for about 2 years now.  Love it and wouldn't go back to regular television/vcr combo.  question though?  what's the "lifetime basic tivo" service you mentioned?  I thought there was only one tivo service for subscribers?  (granted, i haven't looked tivo's pricing plans since I got it)

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »

If some crazy guy came in to my apartment with two guns and pointed one at my Tivo and one at my baby girl and forced me to choose, I'd tell him to shoot the Tivo but I'd miss it a lot and as soon as the crazy guy with guns left I'd take a cab to Best Buy to replace it.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 06:56:53 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
I've been a happy tivo-er for about 2 years now.  Love it and wouldn't go back to regular television/vcr combo.  question though?  what's the "lifetime basic tivo" service you mentioned?  I thought there was only one tivo service for subscribers?  (granted, i haven't looked tivo's pricing plans since I got it)

The "basic Tivo" thing comes with DVD/Tivo combo devices - it's not available for standalone Tivo units, and honestly, it's pretty useless.  Only three days of program info, no season passes, no smart recording options, etc.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 07:00:36 PM »

jeez, you're right!  that IS useless  :shock:

you think they'd give you 30 days to actually get used to it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 07:16:20 PM »

I will not fall to the CG Forum Effect (TM)...

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 08:14:27 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Quote from: "hepcat"

The "basic Tivo" thing comes with DVD/Tivo combo devices - it's not available for standalone Tivo units, and honestly, it's pretty useless.  Only three days of program info, no season passes, no smart recording options, etc.

Yeah.  All the Tivo basic package is I have found out is a digital vcr.  You tell it exactly when to record and it does.  It does do stuff like pause and rewind Live TV.  You can hit record during a show and it will record the next 30 minute segment.  It would be decent for a secondary Tivo device, especially if you use the sharing option from the Home Media stuff.

You do get Plus free for 45 days minus the Home Media stuff, so I've been using that.  Its already caught some things for me that I didn't even realize where on.  This morning it recorded an I Love Lucy show and I thought it was crazy.  But it ended up that it got it from my Marx brothers wishlist and Harpo Marx was a special guest on the show.  Nice.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 08:14:47 PM »

We've had one for over three years now, and took advantage of the offer to upgrade to a series 2 machine without paying a new subscription fee.

The wife and I love our Tivo.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 09:09:36 PM »

Re: TIVO, is there no way to hook it to a router to update?  I have no land line.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 09:43:38 PM »

If it's a series 2, you can use a broadband connection for schedule updates.  Though it will need to make a call via land line when you first set it up (IIRC)
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 09:45:23 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Re: TIVO, is there no way to hook it to a router to update?  I have no land line.

Offically the initial setup must be done over the phone.  Then after the initial setup, you can use the network to update if you have a USB network adapter.  But there is a way on some newer machines to force it, to do the initial update over the network.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: