http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:53:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tivo going Peer to Peer.  (Read 1108 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2006-11/tivo-to-add-all-sorts-of-video-sharing/

Peer-to-Peer Video Sharing

Working in partnership with One True Media, TiVo is offering a breakthrough new service feature which will provide friends and families scattered across the country with an easy way to share their home videos, by sending them directly to the television set. Rather than burning and mailing DVDs, friends and family will now be able to set-up their own private channel to send home videos directly to a TiVo subscriber’s TV set. (Available first quarter of 2007 @ $4/month for uploaders.)

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 06:15:53 AM »

Hmm...I have this with my ReplayTV (still have it, as the old model still works with it)...but I thought this was one of the reason why Replay got sued?  They lost that lawsuit too.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 01:03:01 AM »

TiVo ROCKS... They need to lower the price of the HD tivo get with the damn program.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:16:44 AM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on November 17, 2006, 01:03:01 AM

TiVo ROCKS... They need to lower the price of the HD tivo get with the damn program.

True that.  I hate my Cox PretendTiVo more every day and would really like to switch!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 06:57:32 PM »

Not to give away anything that could get me fired, but I think by next spring/summer you will be pleasantly surprised.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 07:11:22 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 17, 2006, 06:57:32 PM

Not to give away anything that could get me fired, but I think by next spring/summer you will be pleasantly surprised.

Not to respond to anything that you didn't say, but maybe I should start planting the seeds with the Mrs for a Tivo upgrade now.....

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »

Quote from: Zero on November 15, 2006, 06:15:53 AM

Hmm...I have this with my ReplayTV (still have it, as the old model still works with it)...but I thought this was one of the reason why Replay got sued?  They lost that lawsuit too.

Well, it says "home videos", so it seems to imply that the only thing you'll be able to transfer is stuff you have recorded on your camcorder.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 02:21:31 AM »

Speaking of Tivo..

Since getting Tivo, we have been spending more time watching stuff that got Tivo'd than Blockbuster Online.  For example we used to go through 3-4 movies a week from BB through their service, now we are LUCKY to see 1-2 movies a week. The reason primarily, is Tivo has been grabbing movies we really like to see.  This weekend it had "Elf", "Iron Giant", "Garfield" and a couple of others ready to go for us to watch.  Which pushed the movies we got in the mail from BB off to the side.

For the first time, I am thinking I really don't need a Netflix/BB type of service, and largely Tivo is to blame for this. Heh.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 04:14:08 AM »

I love my TIVO so much.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 03:10:37 PM »

I like Tivo, but have been very unhappy since they removed the lifetime service option. Both of my Tivo's have begun to flake out and rather than getting new ones and paying amonthly fee, I have opted to build a Media Center PC. It currently has 3 tuners in it witha a 4th (HD) tuner coming. I also like the fact that I can just keep adding tuners and never have to worry about missing a show due to multiple shows being on at the same time.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:53:53 PM »

The problem is, every DVR I have seen since getting Tivo doesn't compare in features, and the guide.  Also the biggest thing we use in this house is the sharing between Tivos on each floor.  That feature alone I simply could not deal with not having, it is used multiple times per day.

Needless to say, it was tough to swallow the monthly fee, but damn, it was worth it. I downgraded to a more than adequate 4MB Internet connection to offset the monthly Tivo fee though, so the hit was minimal.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 08:35:07 PM »

Jesus 4mb connection? Mine is like barely 1.5mb, it never works that fast, and its not that cheap. Grrr.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:39:47 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2006, 08:35:07 PM

Jesus 4mb connection? Mine is like barely 1.5mb, it never works that fast, and its not that cheap. Grrr.

Well honestly, I WOULD like a 1.5-2MB, but they drop to something like 500K from 4MB, with NOTHING in between.  I had a 10mb, then I got feeling cheap, dropped it to 6MB, then I purchased a traffic optimizer/boost module, which allowed me to drop to 4MB, but no way I could drop to 500K.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 08:49:15 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 27, 2006, 08:39:47 PM

Well honestly, I WOULD like a 1.5-2MB, but they drop to something like 500K from 4MB, with NOTHING in between.  I had a 10mb, then I got feeling cheap, dropped it to 6MB, then I purchased a traffic optimizer/boost module, which allowed me to drop to 4MB, but no way I could drop to 500K.

Well, is 29.99 a good price for 1.5mb that never ever ever works that fast? Because lately I have been considernig calling and complaining. My neighbor who is on the cheaper package gets the same speeds I do!
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 08:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2006, 08:49:15 PM

Well, is 29.99 a good price for 1.5mb that never ever ever works that fast? Because lately I have been considernig calling and complaining. My neighbor who is on the cheaper package gets the same speeds I do!

Comcast?  See if you can get WideOpenWest..  I would seriously call and complain about that.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 11:18:04 PM »

I just downgraded from an Optimum Online connection of 30MB to a FIOS connection of 10MB. I am paying $30/month for FIOS. As soon as FIOS TV comes around, I will probably jump to that as well.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 02:21:00 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 27, 2006, 08:59:53 PM

Comcast?  See if you can get WideOpenWest..  I would seriously call and complain about that.
My god man, I WISH it was Comcast. We are stuck with this absolutely pure shit company called MDU communications. Comcast refuses to give me a straight answer on whether or not they can service my building, and I have called...10 times? I get different answers each time. I am not sure what to do at this point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: