http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:08:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tired of reading same books over and over...need suggestions  (Read 1308 times)
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:52 AM »

I just now finished rereading Runes of the Earth and Fatal Revenant and I'm looking for some new fantasy series to get into. Otherwise I think I'll just end up rereading the entire Thomas Covenant series for the fifth or sixth time (after having reread The Dark Tower series, and Lord of the rings prior to this) So whats your favorite series of fantasy books and why? I really do need help with this, after doing some research nothing has really caught my eye. (Wheel of time didn't like it, Black Company read them all, Loved the Dark Tower series, and read all the Odd Thomas, didn't like Eddings, hated Terry Goodkind Wizard first rule, enjoyed George R Martin Song of Fire and Ice series, enjoyed the Shannara series, enjoyed dragonlance series for the most part)

Just to give you guys an idea of what I'm familiar with and not, thanks and looking forward to everyones suggestions.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »

have you tried Raymond Feist and the Riftwar series?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »

Yes, enjoyed them. That might be a contender, as the last Riftwar book I read was years, and years ago.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:16 AM »

The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin is possibly my favourite fantasy.

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »

You could try the Fencer trilogy by K. J. Parker. It seems to be a lesser known series (she's got more fantasy books out than just these, so there's more to go on), but it's very enjoyable and dark like hell. Like A Song of Ice and Fire, there's no black and white, only shades of grey. You'll particularly enjoy these books if you're even moderately interested in the crafting of medieval weaponry and armor.

The first book is called Colours in the Steel. The second is Belly of the Bow, and the third (and final) is The Proof House.

Edit: Just to be clear about the genre, these books are very low-fantasy. There aren't any elves or dwarves, there are no monsters, and magic is so limited and unpredictable that its power mostly comes from the myths built up around those who practice it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:15:00 AM by TiLT » Logged
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. It starts with Gardens of the Moon.

Best fantasy series ever smile But it is not light going. The plots are very intricate - I have picked up something new every time I've reread a book from the series.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »

Maybe some Steven Brust?  Start with The Book of Jhereg.  I enjoyed it when I was in a fantasy slump several years back.
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »

Have you tried J.V. Jones? I have not really read fantasy for a long time but I really liked her books when I did. Bakers boy is the first one if I recall correctly. She had some awesome characters in her books.

Edit*
What about Tad Williams? I read and liked The war of flowers not too many years ago.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:10:05 PM by Jocke » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »

Second the Malazan recommendation.

You might want to try Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora which is a great heist/caper story in a very cool fantasy setting.  The sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies is good as well, though not as good as the first one, but it does get bonus points for including pirates. 

Many think that Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy (first book is The Blade Itself) are the best thing since sliced bread.  I'm not quite that enthusiastic about the series but it is really good and well worth reading. 

Finally, I'll mention my two favorite fantasy debuts of recent years- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett.  Both are very traditional in some respects but are immensely entertaining.  Rothfuss is pretty much the hottest fantasy writer to hit the scene in a long, long time. 

Also, I'll throw a recommendation to Jim Butcher's Urban Fantasy series, The Dresden Files.  Starts out merely okay but eventually turns to awesome and it's my favorite running series right now. 
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »

Tad Williams Dragonbone Chair

Tigana Guy Gavriel Kay

If you want Sci Fi the Donaldson Sci-fi series is very good but very very adult

Star of the Guardians series is an oldie but  goodie by Wies and Hickman, mix of scifi and fantasy

Moonheart by Charles DeLint

oh and how about the China Mieville sp? series
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 26, 2009, 12:58:58 PM

Finally, I'll mention my two favorite fantasy debuts of recent years- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett.  Both are very traditional in some respects but are immensely entertaining.  Rothfuss is pretty much the hottest fantasy writer to hit the scene in a long, long time. 

I picked up Name of the Wind earlier this year and was blown away.  Absolutely loved it, and almost started rereading it as soon as I finished.  In fact, I think I'm going to start rereading it now in anticipation of a plane trip I have coming up.

If you're looking for something different, I'd recommend taking a look at the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake, often sold as a single book.  It's a much denser, slower paced read, but it's has incredible writing, and very detailed, unique (and grotesque) assortment of characters.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 04:50:23 PM »

Quote from: Tals on May 26, 2009, 07:53:16 AM

The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin is possibly my favourite fantasy.
I have to second this. She's my favorite author, and the Earthsea Cycle is just amazing.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:59 PM »

Quote from: Crux on May 26, 2009, 10:10:33 AM

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. It starts with Gardens of the Moon.

Best fantasy series ever smile But it is not light going. The plots are very intricate - I have picked up something new every time I've reread a book from the series.

Oh I read Gardens of the Moon on recommendation from the forums, great book. Got lost towards the end but was enjoying it.

Quote from: wonderpug on May 26, 2009, 01:14:50 PM

I picked up Name of the Wind earlier this year and was blown away.  Absolutely loved it, and almost started rereading it as soon as I finished.  In fact, I think I'm going to start rereading it now in anticipation of a plane trip I have coming up.

If you're looking for something different, I'd recommend taking a look at the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake, often sold as a single book.  It's a much denser, slower paced read, but it's has incredible writing, and very detailed, unique (and grotesque) assortment of characters.

I read Name of the Wind once again on recommendation of the forum, great book if I remember correctly I read in one sitting couldn't put it down. Thanks a bunch guys I have some very good leads now, and maybe we can direct everyone to this topic who's in the same predicament as myself, as there are some very good suggestions.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on May 26, 2009, 01:06:06 PM

Tigana Guy Gavriel Kay

Oh crap I forgot about this.  It's one of my favorite books.  And it has the bonus of being one volume.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »

Quote from: Ascendent on May 26, 2009, 05:31:59 PM

Quote from: Crux on May 26, 2009, 10:10:33 AM

Oh I read Gardens of the Moon on recommendation from the forums, great book. Got lost towards the end but was enjoying it.

Quote from: wonderpug on May 26, 2009, 01:14:50 PM

I read Name of the Wind once again on recommendation of the forum, great book if I remember correctly I read in one sitting couldn't put it down. Thanks a bunch guys I have some very good leads now, and maybe we can direct everyone to this topic who's in the same predicament as myself, as there are some very good suggestions.
IF you enjoyed it, try reading the next one, and then go back to the first one and reread it, it will suddenly make sense to you. Best series ever! The last book is....wow , just wow... I had some moments reading there, I was just blown away, and reread it for my GF later on since I just HAD to share certain passages

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:38 PM »

I'll second the Dragonbone Chair.  It starts slowly, but once it gets going, it's a heck of a ride.

I recently finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb and enjoyed it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:21 AM »

Just to let you know, I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of books. There aren't many that are heavy in the fantasy, but maybe you'll see something that you like.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 12:15:20 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 26, 2009, 09:36:38 PM

I'll second the Dragonbone Chair.  It starts slowly, but once it gets going, it's a heck of a ride.

I couldn't get into these at all.  "Starts slowly" is the understatement of the year.  However, his War of the Flowers is one of my all-time favorite fantasy novels.

I recently finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb and enjoyed it.

I'll second this one and also recommend her Liveship Traders series.  It's a fantastic mix of Tolkein-ish high fantasy and Pirates of the Caribbean.  Of her three "Fitz" series, I enjoyed Liveship the best.

I'd also suggest Greg Keyes Kingdom of Thorn & Bone series.  A gritty world similar to Martin's, minus the overly graphic sex and violence, and characters that are a bit more black and white.  And the series is done so you won't be left hanging for the new installment.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 12:39:33 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 27, 2009, 12:15:20 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 26, 2009, 09:36:38 PM

I couldn't get into these at all.  "Starts slowly" is the understatement of the year.  However, his War of the Flowers is one of my all-time favorite fantasy novels.

Slowly equals about 300 pages, I'll grant you.  I tried reading one of the VR books he wrote and couldn't get into it. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 02:18:30 AM »

I don't think Dragonbone Chair started any more slowly than the firs GRRM book...took me 3 tries to get past the first 100 or so pages for some reason.

No one has mentioned Mists of Avalon which is one of my all time favorite fantasy books.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 05:47:36 AM »

Dig up the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny - It's ok to skip the second Chronicles but the five book first series is good stuff.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »

Rise from the grave! So after a lot of good suggestions I decided to get back into Steven Erikson "Malazan Series" and I've enjoyed it for the most part, I'm up to Midnight Tides. The series hit a high note for me in Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. Especially Memories of Ice, I absolutely loved Itkovian easily one of my favorite characters of all time. Loved how the story ended for him, but as a character wish there were more stories of him. Such an interesting character and wham he's out of the picture for good, disappointed that I won't be seeing him again in the series (maybe?). But Midnight Tides is dragging a bit and House of Chains was a bore to get through. I'm just wondering if the series is going to pick up again?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 02:02:13 AM »

Quote from: Ascendent on August 07, 2009, 01:07:14 AM

Rise from the grave! So after a lot of good suggestions I decided to get back into Steven Erikson "Malazan Series" and I've enjoyed it for the most part, I'm up to Midnight Tides. The series hit a high note for me in Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. Especially Memories of Ice, I absolutely loved Itkovian easily one of my favorite characters of all time. Loved how the story ended for him, but as a character wish there were more stories of him. Such an interesting character and wham he's out of the picture for good, disappointed that I won't be seeing him again in the series (maybe?). But Midnight Tides is dragging a bit and House of Chains was a bore to get through. I'm just wondering if the series is going to pick up again?

Opinions vary.  Personally, I think Bonehunters is one  of the best in the series.  In particular because Erikson breaks from his normal 700 pages of setup, 200-300 pages of convergence pattern and actually puts in an epic sequence in the first 300 pages. But a lot of people also think Bonehunters is one of the weakest in the series. 

Reaper's Gale is quite slow in the first half IMO (probably the slowest of any of the books), especially if you aren't a big fan of Midnight Tides,  but the last half is pretty awesome.

Haven't read Toll the Hounds yet but opinions on that one are even more polarizing. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 02:12:12 AM »

For fantasy all I read is RA Salvatore. I started with The Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Icewind Dale Trilogy

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:14:26 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 02:50:20 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 07, 2009, 02:12:12 AM

For fantasy all I read is RA Salvatore. I started with The Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Icewind Dale Trilogy

Yup good series read it a while back
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 04:04:50 AM »

I'm almost done with Name of the Wind, and really enjoying it.

The same person who recommended it to me recommended The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (I think that's right); it's the same guy who they picked to finish Wheel of Time.  I may check that out unless someone says it's not worth it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 04:34:10 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 07, 2009, 04:04:50 AM

The same person who recommended it to me recommended The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (I think that's right); it's the same guy who they picked to finish Wheel of Time.  I may check that out unless someone says it's not worth it.

Mistborn trilogy is quite good.  First two books are excellent.  I was slightly disappointed with the final volume but I'm in the vast minority on that opinion.  The magic system in it is awesome and is just crying out to be incorporated into a video game.  His plotting skills are fantastic too, with some of the best twists and turns I've read recently in fantasy. 

Sanderson's most recent novel, Warbreaker is excellent as well.  It's also freely available for download from his website in addition to being recently published in hardcover.  I think he's a great pick to finish off WOT.

The guy is a total workhorse too.  He also has the first volume in a new series coming out next year, Way of Kings sandwiched between WoT installments.  On top of all of that, he publishes chapter by chapter commentary for each of his books on his website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: