http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 05:35:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to buy a new bed  (Read 2494 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »

So, without all the boring details, it has been recommended by my doctor, the sleep center I go to for my Sleep Apnea testing, and my Chiropractor that I invest in a new bed. 

My doctor only recommended that I go with a memory foam style mattress, but did not make any brand recommendations.  Both the sleep center and my Chiropractor have recommended http://chiroslumber.com/.

Does anyone have any experience with the different brands?  Obviously there is Tempurpedic, I see that Serta has a system called iComfort, and yet I found a company out of Michigan called the Foam Factory which has ridiculously low prices.  I mean, foam is foam right?  Is there any reason to spend $2000 for a Tempurpedic when I can get a bed from Chiroslumber for $1400, or even lower a bed from Foam Factory for around $600.

All I know is that I am sick of tossing and turning, and being exhausted every day from lack of good sleep, despite a properly calibrated CPAP machine.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »

Don't have any advice about the foam thing.  I wound up getting (I think) a Serta that I like.

What I will say is that I was shocked to find out how much negotiation on price you can do with mattresses. It was basically like buying a used car with mine, right down to "Hmm...I'm gonna have to check with my manager."  It's really weird, but there it is.  I got mine down from a sticker price of $999 plus delivery to $650 delivered with a free cover.  I think there's less wiggle room for Tempurpedic just because it's the big name, but it's worth a try.

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 06, 2012, 02:27:18 PM

Don't have any advice about the foam thing.  I wound up getting (I think) a Serta that I like.

What I will say is that I was shocked to find out how much negotiation on price you can do with mattresses. It was basically like buying a used car with mine, right down to "Hmm...I'm gonna have to check with my manager."  It's really weird, but there it is.  I got mine down from a sticker price of $999 plus delivery to $650 delivered with a free cover.  I think there's less wiggle room for Tempurpedic just because it's the big name, but it's worth a try.

If you live in an area with an Original Matress Factory, I'd go there. The price you see is the price you pay. No negotiating, period. It's much cheaper than a Serta on sale and way higher quality too.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »

I generally ask for mismatch. Often matresses come in with fabric flaws - they get discounted by 50% or more.

I got a Stearns and Foster Spacefoam mattress in 2006 which was ~3200 for ~1600 (king size).

Love it. Love it. Love it.

also, not all foam is created equal. It's just like a car - BIS changes from Butt In Seat --------to-------- Back In Sleep.

Pick a pillow from their collection, pick the mattress. Haggle over price, then ask if they'll let you sleep on it. Literally.

We have a company up here in Kanuckistan called "Sleep Country". They have no problems with you trying before you buy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »

The one nice thing with the Chiroslumber is that it comes with a 120 day in home trial period.  If you don't care for the mattress they will pay to have the mattress picked up and returned, with a full refund of the purchase.  It looks like Tempurpedic offers a 90 day trial, but you are responsible for shipping charges.

I do know that my Chiropractor has one of the Chiroslumber beds for his own use, and he is of a similar build to me and fully supports the product.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »

When we got our new house, my wife talked me into getting a memory foam mattress. I wanted to save some money by getting the standard, but my wife pushed for the extra $300 for the "pillow top" type one. It's 18 inches of foam altogether. We got it in the "plush" variation (instead of firm) and it is silly comfortable. Sometimes I just lie back and think about how comfortable it is smile

Ours is a "Bob-O-Pedic", which is the brand sold by local chain Bob's, which you're not going to have unless you are in New England. However, this is only in New England (maybe they ship, but the things are really heavy). I'm guessing the same product is resold in other parts of the country under different brands. It's a lot cheaper than actual Tempurpedic, and I can't imagine that it's much different from actual Tempurpedic.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »

Im in the market for a new mattress as well and have done a little research on foam.  The most telling factor is density.  Quality-wise it seems a density of 5 is the sweet spot.  Anything under is either older or cheaper.  If your density gets over 5 then its very firm feeling to lay on.  You can find great deals everywhere if look, Sears has a line of well received foam mattresses that are inexpensive and you can often find them through Sears Outlet for a substantial discount.  If you have a Costco membership, check them as well.  Theres also a well reviewed line on Amazon that runs under a grand.   Tempurpedic is awesome but in the end, youre paying 3 times as much for the name and the quality not much higher than a comparable lower cost mattress. 
 Theres also trend in the major mattress companies like Serta, Sterns and Foster, Simmons to go with a combination of innerspring and memory foam that have proven to be extremely comfortable.  Of the 3 big boys, Stearns and Foster has the best quality and rep and are of course the more pricey.  Simmons is close behind and has better pricing ( I checked out a very nice Simmons set under 2k that was like sleeping on a cloud )  My personal opinion of Serta is very low,  Their quality has gone to hell and I wouldnt touch one with a ten foot pole now.   One last piece of advice, check the warantees and make sure you get a good one.  If its a foam mattress get at least a 10 year, non-prorated warantee,  many of the top brands even have a 25 yr/ non prorated.  If a mattress company has a prorated warranty ( like Serta does ) they are not really backing their product and if it starts to sag or the cover tears after 5 years youre not going to recover much. 

One quick observation, buying a mattress is like buying a used car.  As mentioned before, theres wiggle room on price.  Its almost impossible to price match or compare between the various furniture sellers because all the major mattress makers give each place an exclusive line name.  Do your homework when you shop and youll get a better deal.  Knowing things like foam density and coil counts will help when you bargain with the snakeoil mattress salesman.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »

That is 1600CAD, where it would have been ~1400 USD back then. That included the dual twin boxsprings, the fully supported metal frame, and a protective cover for the mattress. It does have coils in it as well - there's around 4 or 5 layers of different density foam on a coil base.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »

I can't speak to memory foam mattresses, but I switched to a fairly pricey ($59) memory foam pillow last week and it's been a revelation. I had OK pillows but I seem to have to constantly toss and turn, esp. during summer heat.

Unfortunately, it has -- perhaps due to an anti-stain treatment of some sort -- this "new product" odor that fades but never quite seems to go away. But it's very comfortable, and stays cool (this has some patented series of "ventilation holes" in the cushion to dissipate heat while sleeping), and I think has really made a difference in my sleep of late.

I'll share an URL later when I can check the pillow box at home. It was an impulse buy at Bed, Bath & Beyond since I had one of those 20% off coupons they deluge everyone with.

I've seen some modest price memory foam "overlays" that you put on top of a regular bed. That might be something to try if you can get it somewhere where a return is relatively easy, just in case. Brookstone for example carries one, seems relatively positively reviewed online:
http://www.brookstone.com/memory-foam-better-than-down-biosense-mattress-topper-1?bkiid=SearchResults|CategoryProductList|649335p [*I did notice this particular item is considered "personal care" and NOT returnable, fwiw]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:48:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »

The more I research this, it is crazy how many different manufacturers there are of memory foam beds.

I am also finding that as rshetts2 pointed out, density does seem to be a fairly telling factor.  I do have a Costco membership, but I wasn't all that impressed with the selection they had.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »

I would just recommend not skimping on price.  I purchased a pretty cheap memory foam mattress about a two years ago and it was great for about the first year but now I seem to have worn it out and most nights I end up sleeping 6 inches deep in the center of it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »

Sterns and Foster have a 1 inch warranty (10 year) ... or at least, that is what I have with mine.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »

Looking at warranties, Tempurpedic has a 10 year warranty at .75 inches, while this ChiroSlumber bed has a 10 year full then years 11-20 prorated at 1.25 inches it looks like.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »

Thank you, NASA!

Memory foam was developed in 1966 under a contract by NASA's Ames Research Center to improve the safety of aircraft cushions. Ames scientist Chiharu Kubokawa and Charles A. Yost of the Stencel Aero Engineering Corporation were major contributors to this project.
Memory foam was subsequently used in medical settings. For example, it was commonly utilized in cases where the patient was required to lie immobile in their bed on a firm mattress for an unhealthy period of time. The pressure over some of their body regions decreased or stopped the blood flow to the region causing pressure sores or gangrene. Memory foam mattresses significantly decreased such events.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »

Well, I went with the ChiroSlumber system.  Should have it by middle of next week.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »

Buying a new mattress is second only to buying a new car in the way the stores price and sell their products. Frustrating and confusing and they try to get you to buy up.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 08, 2012, 03:11:27 PM

Well, I went with the ChiroSlumber system.  Should have it by middle of next week.

I decided to check out the site and theres virtually no real information there regarding the mattress construction and composition.  Is there a better source of information regarding them?  Id like to check them out but not without some real facts.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 08, 2012, 04:45:02 PM

I decided to check out the site and theres virtually no real information there regarding the mattress construction and composition.  Is there a better source of information regarding them?  Id like to check them out but not without some real facts.

Agreed, the website is pretty bad.  I got most of the information from print materials at my chiropractors office, as well I called the toll free number and was able to get a good bit of information.  In the end, I mostly went off of the trust I have for both my doctor and chiropractor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 02:03:01 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 08, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

Agreed, the website is pretty bad.  I got most of the information from print materials at my chiropractors office, as well I called the toll free number and was able to get a good bit of information.  In the end, I mostly went off of the trust I have for both my doctor and chiropractor.

The warranty is pretty good, so I expect the quality is right up there.  The prices are fair but I have no idea of the mattress dimensions, which is kind of important.  Since you bought one could let me know the mattress height?  Im guessing its 10" since theres a $99 upcharge for 11' but Im not sure.  From what i could gather these are pretty much Tempurpedic quality at a better price point.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 02:08:29 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 09, 2012, 02:03:01 AM

Quote from: Arkon on June 08, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

The warranty is pretty good, so I expect the quality is right up there.  The prices are fair but I have no idea of the mattress dimensions, which is kind of important.  Since you bought one could let me know the mattress height?  Im guessing its 10" since theres a $99 upcharge for 11' but Im not sure.  From what i could gather these are pretty much Tempurpedic quality at a better price point.

The default height is 9", given my weight I went with the $99 upcharge for 11".  Their warranty does seem to be one of the better warranties I was able to find.  I will have my mattress by middle of next week hopefully and can post more info.  For what I got, it would have been roughly $1,000 more from Tempurpedic (I bought a queen size, $99 upcharge for 11" thickness, and I bought a solid poplar foundation from them as well), except the Tempurpedic would have been 8" thick instead.  Their direct comparison for density and "firmness" was the Tempurpedic Cloud series.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »

Awesome, thanks for the info.   If I get one, Ill definitely go for the upgrade to 11" 

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 12:10:31 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 06, 2012, 07:03:58 PM

I would just recommend not skimping on price.  I purchased a pretty cheap memory foam mattress about a two years ago and it was great for about the first year but now I seem to have worn it out and most nights I end up sleeping 6 inches deep in the center of it.

I have a philosophy of not skimping on anything that is used almost daily.  I don't buy cheap shoes, mattresses, eye glasses, etc.  S

morlac00 on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »

Am I the only one disappointed after reading the thread title and then reading the thread? tear
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »

Quote from: morlac on June 09, 2012, 12:10:31 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on June 06, 2012, 07:03:58 PM

I have a philosophy of not skimping on anything that is used almost daily.  I don't buy cheap shoes, mattresses, eye glasses, etc.  S

Ditto - you get what you pay for is true most of the time.

We were due for a new bed a couple of years ago and ended up buying a tempurpedic. Absolutely love it. Wife complains anytime that she has to sleep anywhere else now.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »

there is a difference between a fair price and over paying.  With Tempurpedic, you get a $1000 upcharge just for the name.  There are several brands out there with great reviews and great warantees, that cost far less.  The Chiro slumber is a good example of this.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »

New bed has arrived and has been set up.  I bought a foundation from Chiroslumber in addition to the bed.  The foundation is made out of poplar and is ridiculously sturdy.  Took me about 25 minutes to put it together.  Can't wait to get my first night sleep on the new mattress tonight.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 12, 2012, 05:00:23 PM

New bed has arrived and has been set up.  I bought a foundation from Chiroslumber in addition to the bed.  The foundation is made out of poplar and is ridiculously sturdy.  Took me about 25 minutes to put it together.  Can't wait to get my first night sleep on the new mattress tonight.

So how is it? I'm thinking of surprising my wife with one since she's been wanting one for ages.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 12:47:38 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 25, 2012, 12:18:19 AM

So how is it? I'm thinking of surprising my wife with one since she's been wanting one for ages.

So far both my wife and I are really liking the bed.  I can actually get out of bed without waking my wife for a change, and my back has been feeling pretty good since getting the bed.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 25, 2012, 12:47:38 AM

So far both my wife and I are really liking the bed.  I can actually get out of bed without waking my wife for a change, and my back has been feeling pretty good since getting the bed.

See, it's that kind of talk there that is disappointing Harpua3.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 25, 2012, 12:47:38 AM

Good to know, thanks for the response. I'm going to start looking into it once I get this whole heart situation squared away.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 25, 2012, 07:47:45 PM

Sorry I meant to say, sex on it is a bit weird, you don't get much bounce...but for when my wife is on top, my back felt awesome!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »

I've had sleeping issues for years requiring sleep studies and recently a nagging back.

Our new condo has a memory foam mattress and it has done wonders not only for my back but my sleep.

Wish I had thought about it years ago.

Sent from me phone

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 25, 2012, 11:44:59 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 25, 2012, 07:47:45 PM

Sorry I meant to say, sex on it is a bit weird, you don't get much bounce...but for when my wife is on top, my back felt awesome!

Should also be quieter (less springs) but louder with kinetic force transferring to the headboard.

I found space foam also lets you get better traction.

Wait, was that too much info?

paranoid  icon_biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 26, 2012, 01:53:07 PM

Should also be quieter (less springs) but louder with kinetic force transferring to the headboard.

I found space foam also lets you get better traction.

Wait, was that too much info?

paranoid  icon_biggrin

It is a bit quieter for sure, and no headboard to worry about.  Our foundation actually does make a bit of noise, but I think alot of that is due to my weight on the poplar slats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: