http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:01:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time Flies  (Read 691 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »

I just got an email from my daughter's daycare:

Hello Parents,

The time has come once again, our children are growing up and getting ready for Kindergarten.  If your child is going to be 5 years old by September 1st, than your child will be going to Kindergarten. 

We will be having our Pre-K group graduation picture tomorrow, Friday April 15, 2011.  You do not have to worry about the cap and gown, Kids R Kids provides them. 

Our Pre-K graduation ceremony will be May 7th at Mary Marek Elementary:  1947 Kirby, Pearland, TX  77584. 

The time will be 10:00 am 12:00pm

PLEASE HAVE YOUR CHILD THERE AT 9:30 AM FOR DRESS REHEARSAL

GRADUATION STARTS 10:00 AM

Grandparents are welcome to join us for this wonderful occasion.

If you have any questions, please email me back.

I immediate had two thoughts about this:

• Jesus F@cking Christ, my daughter is growing up fast. It seems like just yesterday she was going to daycare for the first day.
  • They really have graduation ceremonies for Pre-K??? WTF? Are they going to give them all a 1st place ribbon next? I don't know how to feel about this, I mean, moving from Pre-K to kindergarten isn't an accomplishment...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »

Yeah, time flies fast - I have two daughters... I remember walking around town trying to get them to sleep in their..eh...kidswagon? I have no idea what that name is in english.
Anyway s - now, the eldest is 14 and wants to go to highschool in the us next year!  eek

As for the graduation ceremony, wasn't it Raymond who said "Its sick" when his daugthers had a graduation ceremony for getting out of kindergarten? And I tend to agree :-D

A new one
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 14, 2011, 07:52:36 PM

Yeah, time flies fast - I have two daughters... I remember walking around town trying to get them to sleep in their..eh...kidswagon? I have no idea what that name is in english.
Anyway s - now, the eldest is 14 and wants to go to highschool in the us next year!  eek

As for the graduation ceremony, wasn't it Raymond who said "Its sick" when his daugthers had a graduation ceremony for getting out of kindergarten? And I tend to agree :-D

Yeah, I think we celebrate mediocrity too much...I think it's also the part of me that never wants her to grow up. *sigh...I'm getting old...
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 14, 2011, 07:52:36 PM

Anyway s - now, the eldest is 14 and wants to go to highschool in the us next year!  eek

strongly suggest to her that the best high schools are only found in areas with a population of less than 300.  also, tell her that staying out past 7pm is dangerous due to deadly Night Rays emitted by huge flying Rodan like monsters that come out after dark.  If that doesn't keep her out of large cities, or scare her off entirely, I'll send you a photo of Ceekay, Issie and myself at the Origins con in June and you can use that as a cautionary tool.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »

My daughters (21 & 18) junior high canceled their graduation ceremonies when parents started making to big a deal of it.....limo's, parties, etc. They were afraid that kids might actually think that going from junior high to high school was a big event.

And yes...I can remember reading to my girls bedtime stories and having to worry about which car had the car seats in it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »

man rick, next thing you know she'll be all grown up, off to college and dating Zeke.

* CeeKay ducks

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2011, 08:23:57 PM

man rick, next thing you know she'll be all grown up, off to college and dating Zeke.

* CeeKay ducks

And, CeeKay, I had a fortune teller tell me your future, and you will soon meet a horrible death. Accidental, mind you, but horrible nonetheless.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 14, 2011, 07:49:27 PM

• They really have graduation ceremonies for Pre-K??? WTF? Are they going to give them all a 1st place ribbon next? I don't know how to feel about this, I mean, moving from Pre-K to kindergarten isn't an accomplishment...

It's like she just dinged to level 2 in WoW.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »

Quote from: Larraque on April 14, 2011, 08:56:12 PM

And they're throwing a parade because of it...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 14, 2011, 09:06:02 PM

sounds like someone is jealous they didn't get a parade.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2011, 09:15:40 PM

I wish I would have gotten a parade every day. Hell, that would be fucking awesome nowadays especially.

But if I were to have gotten a parade for every menial thing I did, how would I have known I had truly accomplished something when I did?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:55:21 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 14, 2011, 07:59:06 PM

I'll send you a photo of Ceekay, Issie and myself at the Origins con in June and you can use that as a cautionary tool.

crybaby

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »

They really have graduation ceremonies for Pre-K??? WTF? Are they going to give them all a 1st place ribbon next? I don't know how to feel about this, I mean, moving from Pre-K to kindergarten isn't an accomplishment...

This....but congrats anyways.

Raz - Why on Earth would they want to go to school in the US????

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 14, 2011, 09:17:52 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2011, 09:15:40 PM

I wish I would have gotten a parade every day. Hell, that would be fucking awesome nowadays especially.

But if I were to have gotten a parade for every menial thing I did, how would I have known I had truly accomplished something when I did?
we could throw you one  Tongue

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »

Rick, the important thing to remember is that you *won't* ever do anything worthwhile, so you may as well enjoy it.

Also, my son went through a grad last year (from K to grade 1). It was from his daycare, because he wasn't going to go there anymore. The kids enjoyed it, and the women cried. I guarantee you most of the dads got laid that night. Lets not forget what's important here.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 15, 2011, 06:39:57 PM

Rick, the important thing to remember is that you *won't* ever do anything worthwhile, so you may as well enjoy it.

Also, my son went through a grad last year (from K to grade 1). It was from his daycare, because he wasn't going to go there anymore. The kids enjoyed it, and the women cried. I guarantee you most of the dads got laid that night. Lets not forget what's important here.

Whoo Hooo!  Loose teachers for the win!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 15, 2011, 05:47:12 PM

They really have graduation ceremonies for Pre-K??? WTF? Are they going to give them all a 1st place ribbon next? I don't know how to feel about this, I mean, moving from Pre-K to kindergarten isn't an accomplishment...

Well, its sort of a thing kids do - Take a year of highschool somewhere abroad around the age of 15. Its mainly for the experience, and a chance to get to learn the language perfectly as well of course. In my particular case, while I am of course hesitant of sending a rather pretty 15 year old girl out into the wilds more or less alone, I know it will be an incredible learning experience for her. She's very bright, but not very motivated in taking action on her or doing much on her own, so I know this could be great for her. Get out, having to learn a lot about people, fitting in, and the like.

Of course, the US is a LONG way away if something goes wrong, and its a pretty expensive year as well. Around 12000 dollars for the school and stay, and then there's free money, or whatever its called on top of it.

A new one
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 15, 2011, 08:27:09 PM

Well, its sort of a thing kids do - Take a year of highschool somewhere abroad around the age of 15. Its mainly for the experience, and a chance to get to learn the language perfectly as well of course. In my particular case, while I am of course hesitant of sending a rather pretty 15 year old girl out into the wilds more or less alone, I know it will be an incredible learning experience for her. She's very bright, but not very motivated in taking action on her or doing much on her own, so I know this could be great for her. Get out, having to learn a lot about people, fitting in, and the like.

Of course, the US is a LONG way away if something goes wrong, and its a pretty expensive year as well. Around 12000 dollars for the school and stay, and then there's free money, or whatever its called on top of it.

Allowance. Yeah, that's rather expensive...geez

What are you thinking of doing?
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 15, 2011, 08:27:09 PM

I think what he is alluding to is that the schools in the US suck. Send her to Canada. smile
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 02:27:43 AM »

There are plenty of pre-k programs that warrant a certificate or ceremony.  My daughter's preschool in NC had her writing her name and address, basic reading and starting basic math at age 3.  Compared to the pre-k programs in VA where we moved it was like K and 1st grade combined with art, naps and play/snack time smile  My biggest regret moving up here is not being able to find any real pre-k program that actually taught the kids anything and wasn't a religious organization.  She went from math, writing and reading (at age 4) to learning how to sing songs about Noah's ark and Jesus (at age 5).  And it really hurt her entering Kindergarten.  Sigh.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 02:54:42 AM »

Well, did you feel more rested, creative and full, Ericb? I hope your daughter gets to enjoy them too. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: