http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 07:13:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tim Burton-Alice In Wonderland  (Read 4109 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 04:39:10 AM »

Quote from: happydog on July 26, 2009, 04:04:44 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on July 26, 2009, 03:26:36 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 25, 2009, 06:28:16 PM

with the love of growing up with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(Gene Wilder),i didn't really give Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a chance

The original Willy Wonka movie came along after my childhood, so I don't have the nostalgia that most of you have. Even though we're Gene Wilder fans, my wife and I agreed that the original movie played like a dumb kids' movie -- it was one of about five movies that we've ever rated only one star on Netflix. I don't mean to piss on anyone's memories, but you ought to remember that you saw the first movie with the eyes of a child and the second with a skeptical adult perspective. Without that bias, the remake was slightly better for being more twisted.

Still looking forward to Alice, though.

I think I did see the original as a kid, but I feel the same way as you. The original has its moments, but Burton's is overall much better IMO.

Johnny Depp was delightfully, I guess sociopathic might be a word for it, in Burtons version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 05:09:45 AM »

with the love of growing up with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(Gene Wilder),i didn't really give Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a chance

T Without that bias, the remake was slightly better for being more twisted.
More twisted?  Maybe you should rewatch the original… Click Me!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »

The original Willy Wonka movie came along after my childhood, so I don't have the nostalgia that most of you have.

well,the original was made 5 years before i was born..its just that it was always on TV and the Oompa Loompas became a bit of a hit with talk around the classroom,with some of their songs icon_lol

WHAT doYOU
get
WHENyouGUZZLE DOWNsweets?

eatingASmuchASan
ELEPHANT
eats

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 26, 2009, 05:09:45 AM

T Without that bias, the remake was slightly better for being more twisted.
More twisted?  Maybe you should rewatch the original… Click Me!

That psychedelic scene was indeed the high point of the original movie. I almost mentioned it in my first post.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

the latest trailer.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 16, 2009, 06:15:00 PM

Wow....I am so in.  I don't really get excited for movies anymore, but that trailer so makes me want to see that movie (I have a weird fetish for Alice in Wonderland).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 08:24:10 PM »

I guess I've just never had much appreciation for Tim Burton.  Every film has the same look, the same style, the same dark/quirky/twisted/distorted presentation, ever since Edward Scissorhands.  And while his films are very consistent with his usual visual style and quirky storytelling, I've just never enjoyed it.  9 was his only film that really intrigued me, and probably in part because of the soundtrack in the trailer.  But everything else looks like "Edward Batscissorbeetlewonderland".  It could be an interesting take on Alice in Wonderland, but it has been so Tim Burtonized that I've lost interest.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »

I'm not really liking the visual style from what I've seen and I don't care for Helena Bonham Carter at all.  This won't get me to a theater to see it unless I'm extremely pressured, and that's not likely to happen.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 09:14:17 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 16, 2009, 08:24:10 PM

I guess I've just never had much appreciation for Tim Burton.  Every film has the same look, the same style, the same dark/quirky/twisted/distorted presentation, ever since Edward Scissorhands.  And while his films are very consistent with his usual visual style and quirky storytelling, I've just never enjoyed it.  9 was his only film that really intrigued me, and probably in part because of the soundtrack in the trailer.  But everything else looks like "Edward Batscissorbeetlewonderland".  It could be an interesting take on Alice in Wonderland, but it has been so Tim Burtonized that I've lost interest.

I guess I can understand you not liking Burton's style, but the subject matter at hand is probably best suited for Burton's style than anyone else's.  I, personally, can't get enough of the guy.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 11:25:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2009, 09:14:17 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on December 16, 2009, 08:24:10 PM

I guess I can understand you not liking Burton's style, but the subject matter at hand is probably best suited for Burton's style than anyone else's.  I, personally, can't get enough of the guy.

The subject matter is certainly fitting of his style, but I guess I find his style to be a bit overdone.  It's one thing to have a style and inject it into a story, it's another to inject so much that it bursts from all openings.  If Burton could show a little more restraint then I think I'd be much more accepting of his vision, but he's consistently a little heavy-handed in making a film so obviously "by Tim Burton" that it inevitably turns me off as more of the same and too obviously "by Tim Burton". 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 02:01:26 AM »

Looks great to me. Though I'm disappointed Johnny Depp bowed out and was replaced by Elijah Wood.  icon_wink
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 02:16:35 AM »

Looks neato to me. I think I'll be checking it out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »

looks like there is a furor brewing over how Disney wants to handle the films release.

Because I can,
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2010, 05:44:12 PM »

You one starred Willie Wonka and the Chocolate factory?  I think it's time to rent Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and one star that too . . .

The movie doesn't hold up well for adults, I agree, but it's still a great children's movie and at the time it actually was a great movie for teenagers and young adults as well.  The subversive humor was ahead of it's time.  Now, it just seems quaint.

I can't believe you one starred it . . .

The original Willy Wonka movie came along after my childhood, so I don't have the nostalgia that most of you have. Even though we're Gene Wilder fans, my wife and I agreed that the original movie played like a dumb kids' movie -- it was one of about five movies that we've ever rated only one star on Netflix. I don't mean to piss on anyone's memories, but you ought to remember that you saw the first movie with the eyes of a child and the second with a skeptical adult perspective. Without that bias, the remake was slightly better for being more twisted.

Still looking forward to Alice, though.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2010, 05:24:17 AM »

Has anyone seen this yet? The one review that I read was lukewarm, but the reviewer just sounded disappointed that it wasn't Avatar.

DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 05:44:12 AM »

I took my daughter to see it today.  It was average.  As usual the sets/costumes were typically good as in most of Tim Burton's films.  The story wasnt very good, no real surprises.  I keep looking at my watch the last 30 minutes or so.  I would give it 2 out of 4 stars, just for the visuals.  I did not see the 3-D version, just 2-D.  I dont think is would have made much of a difference.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 07:18:28 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 24, 2009, 07:02:45 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 24, 2009, 06:25:49 PM

those who dont know who Matt Lucas is,who is playing Tweedledee/Tweedledum,he is part of a BBC comedy called Little Britain..i am not keen on it,but it has a big following over here

Could it be?  Have I finally found another Brit who doesn't like Little Britain?  My search is over!

I'm not a Brit, but I watched all of Little Britain on DVD.  Let me ask you guys something.

I've noticed something a few times with sketch shows over there (Man/Woman also comes to mind).  They repeat jokes ad nauseum.  Not just the same situation or characters, but, essentially, the same damn joke.  I found that Matt Lucas' characters were better than the other one's, for the most part, but it was still really surprising to me.

So, here's the question: How often do these shows air?  I know England has this crazy yet brillaint set up of only six eps a series.  Do they run each week?  If so, how are people not annoyed as hell by this trend?

I've watched Catherine Tate as well.  She also brings the same characters back and many of them have similar situations or even the same punchlines, but she has the decency to change certain elements each time, usually.  I know she's insanely popular.  Did she maybe start this trend?  What's the deal?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »

Just got back from seeing this. I think it's a decent enough movie, just don't expect to be blown away by the 3D like in Avatar, it just ain't on the same level.

If I had to rate it I'd call it 7/10.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 07, 2010, 08:46:23 AM

I think it's a decent enough movie, just don't expect to be blown away by the 3D like in Avatar, it just ain't on the same level.

i read something that said Alice was filmed in 2D, then converted to 3D using post-processing.  it wasn't made with the intention of being seen in 3D, so it's no surprise that it doesn't match Avatar.  with that in mind, i won't be bothering with 3D when i make it to the theater.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 07, 2010, 08:46:23 AM

Just got back from seeing this. I think it's a decent enough movie, just don't expect to be blown away by the 3D like in Avatar, it just ain't on the same level.

If I had to rate it I'd call it 7/10.

The review I read complained that Burton uses 3D the way it has always been used -- as a novelty with stuff jumping off the screen to startle and amuse the viewer. The first movie I ever saw like that was Andy Warhol's Frankenstein in 1973. This reviewer believed that Avatar has permanently raised the bar for 3D by using it to immerse the viewer.

I'm reluctant to fork over $15 a ticket if Burton's just doing the same tricks that were fresh in 1973.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2010, 05:14:48 PM »

Ugh, if that's true then I don't see the point of watching it in 3D. Hell, they filmed "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3D back in the day and I've seen that version, so they've been doing that "poke crap in your face 3D" since at least 1954. To me, if I wanted to see that kind I'd watch "Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn" in 3D. Again.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:49:47 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »

Well, I was just paraphrasing a review I'd read, so I'd welcome opinions from people who actually saw the movie.

I just saw another bad review in last week's Newsweek. I'm leaning toward Netflix for this one.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »

with the reports of the 3D being pretty 'meh' I'm kinda annoyed that the nearest IMAX theater bumped Avatar for this, especially since all the other ones in the area still have Avatar.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 07, 2010, 07:18:28 AM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 24, 2009, 07:02:45 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 24, 2009, 06:25:49 PM

those who dont know who Matt Lucas is,who is playing Tweedledee/Tweedledum,he is part of a BBC comedy called Little Britain..i am not keen on it,but it has a big following over here

Could it be?  Have I finally found another Brit who doesn't like Little Britain?  My search is over!

I'm not a Brit, but I watched all of Little Britain on DVD.  Let me ask you guys something.

I've noticed something a few times with sketch shows over there (Man/Woman also comes to mind).  They repeat jokes ad nauseum.  Not just the same situation or characters, but, essentially, the same damn joke.  I found that Matt Lucas' characters were better than the other one's, for the most part, but it was still really surprising to me.

So, here's the question: How often do these shows air?  I know England has this crazy yet brillaint set up of only six eps a series.  Do they run each week?  If so, how are people not annoyed as hell by this trend?

I've watched Catherine Tate as well.  She also brings the same characters back and many of them have similar situations or even the same punchlines, but she has the decency to change certain elements each time, usually.  I know she's insanely popular.  Did she maybe start this trend?  What's the deal?

i have not seen Little Britain scheduled on TV for awhile,hopefully they will not do anymore(Matt Lucas and David Walliams have both been doing other stuff,Lucas -wonderland and Walliams TV game shows),and the series is usually repeated on the cable/satellite channels,according to IMDB there are 3 series(20 episodes)..and then there is Little Britain USA where there are 6 more episodes

TBH,we have a lot of comedians/comedy shows over here that play to the same joke but in a different situation,i have never really seen Catherine Tate except a few sketches but i know exactly what you mean

its kinda like Willis with the 'what you talking 'bout?' phrase,or that Simpsons episode where Bart gets famous for saying 'i Didn't do it'...they'll milk it all,until eventually it isn't funny,in the Little Britain situation,that was the second episode

FWIW the only good comedy shows i liked from the BBC in the last 20 years are The Office,Extras and Bottom,and one or two others...gone are the days when we were churning them out like no tomorrow (Faulty Towers,Blackadder,Only Fools and Horses,Red Dwarf etc etc)......American Comedy shows are always the best anyway,especially as they can keep it going for 24 or so episodes a season

as for Wonderland,Odeon cinemas here in the UK(i think the UKs biggest cinema chain,and ironically had the Leicester Square Premier in London of AIW as well) have banned it from being shown in any of their cinemas..apparently they are not happy with Disney announcing that the film will go to DVD after 12 weeks release,its usually 16 weeks and Odeon cinemas have just invested in a lot of 3D technology,and they aren't happy that they will be missing out on 4 weeks cinema release...not sure the arguement is really worth missing out on 12 weeks of business,if you haven't been to the cinema after 12 weeks release then,you have missed it,simple as

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »

Wondering who thought it was a good idea to shoehorn the plot of The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe into the world of Alice in Wonderland

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »

I pretty much won't go to see in the theater any Tim Burton movie after the middle finger to cinema-goers that was Planet of the Apes.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2010, 09:46:23 PM »

The last interesting Tim Burton movie I saw was Big Fish, and that was an original story. I haven't found any of his movies worth it beyond that. It's kind of irritating how he's doing remakes and sequels now, almost as if he's Hollywood's go-to for weird remakes. I think he's lost his touch.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »

Yeah, Burton hasn't made a decent film since...well, Beetlejuice I reckon.  I think he puts far too much effort into spectacle at the expense of decent story and such.  And his reliance on Depp and Carter are annoying.  Depp was seriously miscast in the latest Chocolate Factory film and from the trailers I imagine his performance in Alice would really irritate me too.  I doubt I'll even bother renting this one, let alone go see it at a cinema.

Bullwinkle, Metallic summed it up quite nicely there.  If you want to see decent British comedy, Red Dwarf and Bottom are good places to start.  I'd also highly recommend Black Books (series 1 and 2 ONLY) and, if possible, Pulling.  But yeah, sketch shows like Little Britain and the Catherine Tate show are highly reliant on repeating the same gags over and over.  Mind you, if it's done well it can really work.  Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were consistently excellent with the same handful of characters in A Bit of Fry and Laurie - for those of you who have only seen Laurie as House, you really should watch it.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on March 07, 2010, 09:46:23 PM

The last interesting Tim Burton movie I saw was Big Fish, and that was an original story. I haven't found any of his movies worth it beyond that. It's kind of irritating how he's doing remakes and sequels now, almost as if he's Hollywood's go-to for weird remakes. I think he's lost his touch.

by original do you mean based on another book but something that hasn't been done before?  wasn't Corspe Bride supposed to be pretty good?

personally I cannot wait for #2 listed in his under development section.

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 12:38:33 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2010, 11:00:49 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on March 07, 2010, 09:46:23 PM

by original do you mean based on another book but something that hasn't been done before?  wasn't Corspe Bride supposed to be pretty good?

personally I cannot wait for #2 listed in his under development section.

Yeah, pretty much. And I couldn't stand a Corpse Bride.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »

I'm not a Burton-ite by any means of the imagination but I saw Alice today and liked it. After some of the dreck I've payed to see this year, I was pleasantly surprised. Go figure.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 05:22:05 AM »

And the Boxoffice Mojo estimate for the opening weekend is... 116 million!?! Whoa.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 06:07:15 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on March 08, 2010, 12:38:33 AM

Bite your tongue.  Corpse Bride was great.  I really love Burton's animated movies, though.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »

Took the wife and kid to watch it.  It was decent, not great, but good enough for me  thumbsup

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »

hmm,i am massive fan of Burton,and although Planet of the Apes was complete trash....i went to the cinema and saw and loved Sweeney Todd,Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish...most others i have on DVD and i enjoy them,although i was disappointed in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...i did buy the DVD though,and the inside of the case smells like Chocolate(no honestly,it was part of the sell)

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 08, 2010, 06:07:15 AM

Quote from: Rumpy on March 08, 2010, 12:38:33 AM

Bite your tongue.  Corpse Bride was great.  I really love Burton's animated movies, though.

*Bites tongue* I did really love Nightmare Before Christmas, and I was hoping I'd like this one, but I didn't. It felt like something was missing; a bit off.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 07, 2010, 10:00:57 PM

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were consistently excellent with the same handful of characters in A Bit of Fry and Laurie - for those of you who have only seen Laurie as House, you really should watch it.

Yes.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:58 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on March 08, 2010, 07:39:35 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 07, 2010, 10:00:57 PM

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were consistently excellent with the same handful of characters in A Bit of Fry and Laurie - for those of you who have only seen Laurie as House, you really should watch it.

Yes.

just to add on Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry,they were both excellent when they popped up in Blackadder (mainly Blackadder 3 and 4)

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 08, 2010, 12:54:15 AM

I'm not a Burton-ite by any means of the imagination but I saw Alice today and liked it. After some of the dreck I've payed to see this year, I was pleasantly surprised. Go figure.

The wife and I enjoyed it this morning, one of the <cough> "perks" of being unemployed at the moment. The 3D is well done for the most part but (as noted elsewhere) it does fall back on the old "stick something in the audience's face" trick on occasion, like card soldier pikes and the like but also has nice touches with flying things and even the start of the end credits being framed in glowing/growing 3D mushrooms was cool.  icon_cool

Somewhat reminded me of the "Looking Glass Wars" books by Frank Beddor (I think any Alice fan would enjoy them) and a sequel to this movie really wouldn't surprise me.

The credits made me look up a word, all of the Red Queen's lick-spittle toadies were listed in the credits as "Man with large belly" or "Woman with large nose" (etc) but there was also credit for a "Woman with large poitrine"... guess we wouldn't want to say "large breasts" now, would we?  icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »

Ha, yes, how could I forget Blackadder?!  Have you ever had that show in the USA?  Amazingly funny stuff, that.  Every member of the cast without exception are in top form throughout.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: