http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 01:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Days to Think About It  (Read 6286 times)
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 05:31:48 PM »

Still in bewildered mode here.   What happened certainly isn't a mystery; Gone Gold was shut down.  The real mystery is WHY it was shut down, and while we can all make some darn educated guesses, we'll never really know unless Rich and/or MaryJo decide to tell us.  

Many of us have already extended hands of friendship or offers to help, but if  they're not interested or for some emotional reason unable to respond, there's nothing we can do.  Time to move on.
stimpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2004, 05:47:46 PM »

My 2 cents...making a total of 4.
I may be waaay off base here, but has anyone else given thought to the idea that maybe this is how Rich wanted to end it? Just pull the plug without warning, leaving all involved to speculate what happened? Doesnt it seem to add to the mystic of GG? I have read more than my share of his old Night Calls, and I think I can safely say that sometimes Rich seemed to enjoy a good drama now and then. Now, please, I am in NO WAY bashing Rich and I hope that all is well with him and his. I appreciate what he has (or had) accomplished. But maybe after being out of the loop for so long, he felt that GG was no longer His baby. And for what ever reason, it was decided that to end things without notice may leave those people who LIVED for GG (myself being one), to forever wonder and speculate what happened. I know if I dont get some "official" answer, I certainly will. How much more dramatic is there that that :?:
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2004, 06:00:07 PM »

Im still holding out hope that in fact the site was brought down for a re-launch by Ritch.  Soon it will read the second coming of Gone Gold with a brand spanking new Roll Call on the front page.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2004, 06:04:44 PM »

Shrug, this place is fine by me.  It gives console gold a good chance to pick up some heavy traffic if they strike while the irons hot, while it lets us old GGrs get a new sight that actually has updates.

I just wish things like the gold guide and good hardware posts could be recovered.  GG was a sight where you could learn alot, about games, upcoming games, console games, hardware, and politics.

I also wish they would let us know if its dead or not, so that console gold can get the go ahead to whip this place into shape for all the traffic theyre getting.   It has been down all most a week and no hard information from anyone?   Kinda lame, if they do bring it back up I think I am going to stay here anyways.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2004, 06:11:14 PM »

Quote from: "The Mad Hatter"
Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "Andy"

I have his number, and I know of others who do. Rich doesn't appear to want to communicate with us at the moment. if that changes and I hear something I can pass on I'll do so immediately.

Yep, that's what I mean. Something's wrong, and I'm pretty concerned.

What if it's his wife that's making the decisions right now? I bet she has a pretty different take on the site and everything around it. Someone said they called their old number and a woman hung up on them as soon as they mentioned GG. Maybe she decided to pull the plug.

She had a different take but she always would honor Rich's wishes regarding the site.  She knows how much it means to him.

Yes something is seriously wrong.  Rich in his right mind wouldn't do this without telling someone (as others have pointed out).  His wife in her right mind wouldn't yank things either.  Something is very wrong and it makes me very sad.  

Rich was/is a very very good man and life dumped a pile of crap on his door so often I wonder if the universe had it in for him.

austen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 06:17:02 PM »

I'm progressing... have moved on to anger at the moment...
GoblinToe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 08:23:08 PM »

I can't imagine Rich just letting GG blow away in the wind without any regard to possibly allowing some of the members at least keep the forums intact.

But, it's his property, and his right to do whatever he likes.  I make no judgement in that regard.  I'm not really pissed at all, and just hope his life hasn't taken such a turn for the worse that he didn't even care about the continuation of the GG forums so that he *may* have just turned it all off.  I've always kind of wondered why he never posted in the forums--in all my time there, I've never seen one post from him, unless he uses a nickname that I'm unaware of.  In any event, the time and money he did put into GoneGold is most certainly appreciated.

Certainly, the responsible thing to do is give people a warning and a date for the final plug-pulling.  Assuming that's what even happened, which may not even be the case.

Frankly, I think we're all just lucky this luxury cruiseliner called ConsoleGold came drifitng by right when our boat started leaking.  smile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2004, 08:32:46 PM »

LM, that was a great story (got me choked up), and a lesson for us all.

P.S. I hope you stay around.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2004, 10:29:39 PM »

One last plug, because I know I'm bordering on spamming here. Peacedog set up some forums that were meant to mimic GG's structure. Personally, I don't like console games, I don't like the ban on political discussion, and I don't expect to spend very much time here. I am hoping that this place will catch on:

http://kcscene.net/notquitegg/index.php

cya there.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2004, 11:06:01 AM »

I too am disappointed.  I've had a couple of user names over at GG and kept Blackadar as my moniker for the past 9 months or so.

Having run a large message board in the past, I can't fathom just pulling the plug.  No matter how frustrated I got, I knew there were a lot of people who called it home.  Regardless of my feelings, I felt that it would be discourteous to shut it down.  So I finally just handed someone else the keys - lock, stock and barrel.  And it's still running today.

I don't know if that's what has happened here.  I had offered to help at GG a couple of months back, but didn't get a response.  If there was an opportunity to rebuild it, I'd love to help.  If not, this seems like a pretty good place.

I've never found Peacedog's moderating to be even or fair, so I doubt I'd go to his board.  Nothing personal, just a difference in styles.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: