http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:56:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Days to Think About It  (Read 6468 times)
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 12:05:29 PM »

I'm sorry to say that with a few days to think about it, my response to the GG situation has moved from bewilderment to pissed.

Now I admit that we don't know definitively what happened, but it's not looking good for it to be just a technical glitch. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the time we did have and realize that we didn't pay a dime for it. But...  Is there any doubt that members of the community would have stepped forward with financial support or to volunteer to work on the front page? Is there any doubt that given a little warning we would have taken steps to save the community? Wouldn't we have worked to save some of the millions of words we have written?

Even if the decision was made to end GG without an announcement, are the mods and administrators who worked so hard to keep the site going undeserving of a little warning? All I can say is that this is shaping up to be a cut'n'run.

The fact that folks here at CG have been so welcoming is amazing and much appreciated. Without their acceptance it would be much harder for us to stay in contact. And I salute you ex-GGers. You cared enough about each other and the community to work to keep everyone together. Is it possible that whoever pulled the plug missed how amazing the GG community was?
Zaxxon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 12:07:45 PM »

Quote from: "Poleaxe"
Is it possible that whoever pulled the plug missed how amazing the GG community was?

No.

I'll repeat: I'm going to refrain from drawing any conclusions until I either know the truth, or enough time has passed that I'm reasonably certain that I won't ever know the whole story.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 12:12:12 PM »

I'm more bewildered than pissed. A site vanishes without a trace from the internet without warning and nobody in a position to know seems to know what happened? I find that extremely odd.

I had to kind of laugh to myself - I was reading an article yesterday about how the FBI was yanking anti-government websites. I guess those crazy liberals in R&P finally crossed the line.   biggrin
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 12:25:44 PM »

I'll give it a little more time before giving up. To be honest, it feels very strange for me to posting about PC games here. I hope we get  back GG, or at least a valid alternative. A part of me believes that Yellowking could be right. I knew that Politics forum would be trouble  :wink:
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 12:26:13 PM »

I ran a multiline BBS for 8 years and an active web page dedicated to Might & Magic for 4 years (which actually is still up I just don't update it). There are days where you just literally want to say screw it and hit the off switch. When I decided to take my BBS ofline, I gave a month warning. People called me night and day offering to buy my computer and phone numbers to continue the BBS. People begged me not to take it down. So if Rich has other life issues, I can understand him wanting to avoid the stress.

The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 12:26:31 PM »

It's difficult to dredge anger out of the depths of my emotions without hearing any final justification.  Right now my ears are attuned for whatever it is that Stephen has to tell us.  I hold little hope of hearing anything that would trump his understanding of the situation, so if he chimes in and says "I don't know what happened," to me, that's as much closure as we'll ever get.

And even if that's exactly how things come to pass, I don't think anger will register as one of my top-5 emotions.  There are too many hypothetical situations that I can conceive of for which my anger would be shown to be wildly out of place and embarassing.  I'll take a pass on putting myself in that sort of unsupportable emotional position.

~The Meal
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 12:27:19 PM »

The situation smells. I'll say that much.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 12:29:48 PM »

If it wasn't for Console Gold I'd have been out there kicking kittens and puppies and being a major around home.
It's harder to give up than smoking.(and I smoked 2 packs a day before going cold turkey)

Ye Olde Farte
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 12:35:04 PM »

I'm not pissed, but I am disappointed. I thought that we would at least we could have been given somekind of heads up or 'Goodbye' before the plug was pulled. I really think that is the least someone could have done.

Anyhoo, maybe we will never know what truly happened. I am just sad it had to end this way...but honestly after everything that has gone on the last few years with the website, I am not that suprised.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 12:39:12 PM »

Why not warn the people who run the site for you. The mods, admins, and writers who invested tons of free time, in order to keep "your" web site running.

I'll stop now, before I say anything harsher.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 12:40:27 PM »

I'm sure, somehow, Kerry will spin this as GWB's fault.  biggrin

I have serious doubts that the show is over.  However, if it is, then something has gone horribly wrong with Rich.

He would not just pull the plug with no goodbyes as that's contrary to his character.

I won't speculate, but I'm fearing for the worst and hoping for the best.

I hope Rich is okay.

Maybe someone can contact Night Call guy and see if he can contact rich.
noxiousdog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 12:41:48 PM »

The first stage is denial.  Then it moves to anger.

I sense a twelve step program coming on.

In the meantime, you're welcome to discuss R&P here.
OOTP Commish: HCL
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 12:55:49 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I'm sure, somehow, Kerry will spin this as GWB's fault.  biggrin

I already thought about this.  It's a ploy to get the economy numbers up for the last few weeks before the election (you know, GG was bringing down the US GNP).  Blame W!

Erm, um okay.

I do have to say that part of my chuck-emotions-out-the-window response stems not from what happned on 10-7-04, but rather on 6-5-04 (damn those progressively declining dates).  I used up 90% of my sensless-ending emotions when Brian took his own life.  I have to admit, I was a walking trainwreck, emotionally, for a few weeks after that.  I personally thought that my own behavior could have altered that outcome.  It's easier to think about the Gone Gold situation, as I know that I did everything in my power to keep that site afloat.

Harry Chapin has this little spoken-word blurb entitled "Good Tired."
My grandfather was a painter. He died at age 88. He illustrated Robert Frost's first two books of poetry. And he was looking at me and he said, "Harry, there's two kinds of tired. There's good tired and there's bad tired".

He said, "Ironically enough, bad tired can be a day that you won. But you won other people's battles, you lived other people's days, other people's agendas, other people's dreams, and when it's all over there was very little you in there. And when you hit the hay at night somehow you toss and turn, you don't settle easy."

He said, "Good tired, ironically enough, can be a day that you lost. But you won't even have to tell yourself, because you knew you fought your battles, you chased your dreams, you lived your days. And when you hit the hay at night, you settle easy, you sleep the sleep of the just, and you can say, "Take me away"."

He said, "Harry, all my life I've wanted to be a painter and I've painted. God, I would have loved to have been more successful, but I've painted, and I've painted, and I am good tired, and they can take me away."

Now if there is a process in your and my lives in the insecurity that we have about a prior life or an afterlife, and God (I hope there is a god - if he does exist, he's got a rather weird sense of humour however)...

But if there is a process that will allow us to live our days, that will allow us that degree of equanimity towards the end, looking at that black implacable wall of death to allow us that degree of peace, that degree of non-fear, I want in!

~Neal
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 12:55:55 PM »

Bill's already responded, and say's that he knows nothing.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 12:56:24 PM »

I think it was MSDuncan who did this.  He was tired of losing all those arguments in R & P slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 01:14:22 PM »

Quote from: "YellowKing"
I had to kind of laugh to myself - I was reading an article yesterday about how the FBI was yanking anti-government websites. I guess those crazy liberals in R&P finally crossed the line.   biggrin

I knew there was cause for concern in rallying against "The System (TM)" on the GGF.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 01:21:48 PM »

Awesome post and quote, Neal.
Peacedog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 01:27:58 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, the site was still paying for itself pre-disappearance.  So money wasn't an issue.
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 01:43:25 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I'm not pissed, but I am disappointed. I thought that we would at least we could have been given somekind of heads up or 'Goodbye' before the plug was pulled. I really think that is the least someone could have done.

Anyhoo, maybe we will never know what truly happened. I am just sad it had to end this way...but honestly after everything that has gone on the last few years with the website, I am not that suprised.

Good point.

I'm not all fiery pissed off. I'm disappointed/ resigned-pissed.

And Meal, if it turns out I have to appologize for jumping the gun, I will do so happily. But this is what I was thinking about when I woke up this morning, and so like most days I threw it out there for comment from you guys.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »

With the GG homepage stuck on its 7/26/04 update, it was no surprise that one day we'd wake up to find it gone. At least, I wasn't surprised. Disappointed, oh yes, and also ticked off that it was done in such an inconsiderate way. A class act would've been to put up an announcement page for a week, with URLs for alternate sites. The ol' 404 Not Found routine is an ignominious end for a site that so many people visited daily for so many years.

Still, without knowing the full story, I can't be anything but sad. There's nothing wrong with fresh starts, and it is certainly amusing to see "newbie" next to everyone's name here. I hope we'll soon wash up someplace very much like GG...BEFORE the forum split, where serious and frivolous discussions could mix it up to make for one big interesting hodgepodge with something to offend everybody!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 02:22:41 PM »

I think I will wait a full week before I say anything I cannot take back.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 02:34:07 PM »

I don't know how much of it may have been me changing, but I thought GG had been a lot better in the past couple months when it came to hostilities/assholes/sniping/etc

In other words, it was improving IMO

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 02:36:21 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
I think I will wait a full week before I say anything I cannot take back.

I'm not going to say anything bad about Rich (not suggesting that you are) no matter what he did. Even if he did pull the plug suddenly, and without warning, I'd have to believe he's not in the right state of mind. This is not something the Rich we know would do.  

I can't help but think that something isn't wrong with Rich. I mean bad wrong. I suppose the human mind has a tendency to fill in the blanks of the unknown, but the signs are ominous. I'm not necessarily talking about death, either.  He could be at a low point in his life.

As far as I know, no one, and I mean NO one, has heard from him in a while. This is the aspect to me that's the most bewildering. Isn't there  anyone who has his number? Anyone at all who can find out? No one lives near him? It should not be a crime to be concerned about a friend, and want to know if he's ok.  That guy has had a rediculously hard life.
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »

I'll say it again - it feels like somebody turned off the internet.  I'm not mad or anything.  I just don't know what to do with myself, especially now that I've short-circuited my argument with Derek Smart.  Now what?

I'm sure I can pin this on Mother Culture.  Just give me time.
Andy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2004, 03:09:05 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I'm not going to say anything bad about Rich (not suggesting that you are) no matter what he did. Even if he did pull the plug suddenly, and without warning, I'd have to believe he's not in the right state of mind. This is not something the Rich we know would do.  

I can't help but think that something isn't wrong with Rich. I mean bad wrong. I suppose the human mind has a tendency to fill in the blanks of the unknown, but the signs are ominous. I'm not necessarily talking about death, either.  He could be at a low point in his life.

As far as I know, no one, and I mean NO one, has heard from him in a while. This is the aspect to me that's the most bewildering. Isn't there  anyone who has his number? Anyone at all who can find out? No one lives near him? It should not be a crime to be concerned about a friend, and want to know if he's ok.  That guy has had a rediculously hard life.

I have his number, and I know of others who do. Rich doesn't appear to want to communicate with us at the moment. if that changes and I hear something I can pass on I'll do so immediately.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2004, 03:09:37 PM »

Don't fret guys, there will be a pc gaming forum for eveyone that continues in the spirit of GG if not the return of GG itself. The only tragedy will be the possible loss of old content, and a few days of withdraw :lol:

Rip
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2004, 03:18:49 PM »

Quote from: "Andy"

I have his number, and I know of others who do. Rich doesn't appear to want to communicate with us at the moment. if that changes and I hear something I can pass on I'll do so immediately.

Yep, that's what I mean. Something's wrong, and I'm pretty concerned.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2004, 03:21:50 PM »

Well Andy you must be a little hurt by the whole situation after all you invested in the site.  I was a lurker on GG almost from the beggining as Ancient Submariner and I just want to say thank you for all your time and effort.  No matter how this all turns out you did a heck of a job keeping our home going for as long as you did.
The Mad Hatter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2004, 03:28:20 PM »

What if it's his wife that's making the decisions right now? I bet she has a pretty different take on the site and everything around it. Someone said they called their old number and a woman hung up on them as soon as they mentioned GG. Maybe she decided to pull the plug.
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »

Quote from: "The Mad Hatter"

What if it's his wife that's making the decisions right now? I bet she has a pretty different take on the site and everything around it. Someone said they called their old number and a woman hung up on them as soon as they mentioned GG. Maybe she decided to pull the plug.

Unlikely.  I read the front page for years before I began posting.  By Rich's account Mary Jo was involved in and supported the site.  She posted updates on his health when relevant as well.  Others may have better information here, but for all of Rich's physical problems his home life sounded more like The Nelsons than Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004, 03:36:32 PM »

Actually MaryJo posted a couple of times in the past to let us know how Rich was doing. So I think she knows how big the community is. That was when the front page was in full swing though.
gorky1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 03:43:49 PM »

I like it here. Excellent mod(s), warm welcome, and if they set up a PC specific forum or two, it'll be just like home. But with servers that aren't going down twice a day and a breathing frontpage. Who knows, maybe they'll even set up a politics forum for us (I can do without religous discussions).
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 03:46:10 PM »

Quote from: "RunningMn9"
I'll say it again - it feels like somebody turned off the internet.  I'm not mad or anything.  I just don't know what to do with myself, especially now that I've short-circuited my argument with Derek Smart.  Now what?

I'm sure I can pin this on Mother Culture.  Just give me time.

Right now I'm surfing about 4 different forums in an effort to replace all the aspects of GG - thank God for tabbed browsing!

And rm9, I'll bet if you try really hard you can find a way to blame the loss of GG on totalitarian agriculture.  C'mon, you know you want to try...    :wink:
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 03:53:36 PM »

I haven't been posting at GG for long, nor was I really one of the better known or particularly well-liked posters.

But it hit me like a kick in the gut when I went to my web browser the other night and reloaded to see if ... wow, I can't even remember who it was now... to see if the person I'd been sparring with in R&P had showed up to respond... but instead I got a Safari error. And it wouldn't go away.

I don't know Rich or his situation, and I hope that the fall of the site doesn't indicate a problem with him -- I've gleaned that there were health concerns. Wherever he is, I hope for the best, thoguh I would have appreciated a little warning before the site went down, or at least a redirect over here.

It seems like such a loss to have all those posts and efforts vanish.

Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »

The feeling of loss from not being on GG is overwhelming.  I might even have to start actually doing something here at work now!

On the bright side, if GG is truly gone, then at least it seriously reduces the chance of me actually seeing the ass banjo, Tub Girl and Goatse again.  Hopefully they've all been destroyed in one fell swoop.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2004, 04:04:45 PM »

Spending time on the GG forums has been such a normal part of my everyday life for almost 4 years that it's a surprisingly big absence in my day to lose that connection.  I valued the impressions of games from GGrs much more than I did professional reviews.  Who can escape the "GG Effect" when it's in full momentum??  Some of my best gaming moments of all time have been with other GGrs.  Keeping the community together is worth the price of webspace, in gold (no pun intended).  

I hope Rich is doing ok, and I respect any decisions he made.  I think the GG community has grown into something even bigger than what Gone Gold was originally envisioned to be by Rich.  Regardless of the details behind the decisions, I want to thank Rich for starting GG and creating one of the only places on the net that I could go to and be with other gamers that actually gave a sh*t about each other (even when there were major differences of opinion). I also want to thank all of the GG moderators for doing a great job for so many years (and Andy and Bill smile ).    

Major thanks to Knightshade Dragon for magnanimously offering his forums to us and making GGrs feel at home.  I couldn't think of a better place to go.
Peacedog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 04:05:23 PM »

might even have to start actually doing something here at work now!

If nothing else, and no matter what happens, the best tribute you can pay to Gonegold is to continue to be unproductive at work.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 04:16:11 PM »

Quote from: "The Mad Hatter"

Consider the fact that bplotkin posted his phone number on the Web site, which means that any idiot can find and call him to bug him about Gone Gold. Given the fact that Rich used to get nasty e-mails during his prolonged absenses, I can imagine that he's gotten more than a few nasty phone calls too. I'm not surprised that they'd be hanging up on anyone without a familiar voice.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 04:48:41 PM »

Wow.  I take Friday off of work to get liquored up and see a show Thursday and the lights were completely out the next time I check in.  This thread seems like as good as any to say "hello" in.  A few of quick things.

1) The reason I thought I'd post rather than lurking before fading away is because this topic is very near to my heart.

My first love was a long distance open relationtionship.  I was never thrilled about it, but I was in love and she lived a long way away, so I was not about to tie her down when I couldn't be around as much as she or I would have liked.  One day she severed all communcation.  My calls yielded no answers or returns and my letters (we pen palled multiple times a week) were a one way communication.  This went on for several weeks.  It might even have been a month or months before I wrote one final very nasty letter explaining how it would have been better to simply just simply let me know that we were done and that how angry I was that a friendship wasn't even worth anything.

About a week later her mother sent me a letter informing that she was sorry that I did know that she started showing signs of Hodgekin's disease, when she started displaying neurological complications and that she had spent the last couple of months in the hospital and in bed blind and mostly paralyzed and that my letters were always a pleasantness to help get through one tough day after another.

I simply don't know what is going on until I find out.  Making huge judgements about motivations without understanding them is something I am now loathe to do for the rest of my life.

on to less depressing things while I am here....

2)  Thank you CG for allowing the refugees to set up camp.  I am sure many will find an excellent home here.

3)  With any intelligence, I will use this as excuse to lurk then and fade away.  I found GG as a PC gamer.  Talking about everything but gaming was something that slipped in over time and it would be awkward and arrogant to sit down in a passionate console forum just because I was displaced from my home.  Add to this that I somehow allowed too much of life to get sucked in, probably very much like addiction.  So I am sure I will drop by to be a voyeur on old friends making new friends, but I will try to find a home elsewhere.

This isn't just coming from the fact that I dressed in black and lushed out all weekend for my birthday, but I love you guys.  Some of you are almost as close as my close real friends.

And now it's off to wander in the desert and get more work done as well.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 05:03:31 PM »

I'm still going to wait and see, but...

ASSUMING there's nothing majorly wrong with Rich at the moment and the plug was pulled because he just lost interest in it (Or whatever reason it might be), then I would be a *little* annoyed that no warning was given.  If something is seriously wrong with Rich, then it's more understandable.  But since we don't know the whole story and everything is just speculation at this point, I don't see any reason to get annoyed over something that may not even be close to being true.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: