http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 06:07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This season of 24 ended great!  (Read 1919 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:19:30 PM »

Anyone else really liking the ending of 24 this year? I didn`t think I was going to, but I really did!!! Spoilers...

I was starting to think Jack was going to be off the show based on the ending, then they play the "teaser" for next season, and I`m guessing by the comment, "you don`t know jack", that he`s coming back. I`m hoping after 4 great seasons they can keep doing it, and I`m betting they will deliver a great 5th season too. I simply can`t get enough of this show. I really don`t watch anything else anymore. Great show, great last two hours.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 08:45:37 PM »

I loved this season but thought that finale was lame.
spoilers***

The resolutiion of Marwan and the missile was anticlimactic.  Marwan did a Hans Gruber, big deal.  Everything that happened after that was dead in the water boring.

The part with Jack's death was weak.  Wow, Jack comes back from the dead...again, didn't see that coming. :roll:

Plus it made no sense.  The only reason they wanted Jack dead was to be able to hand him over to the Chinese with the knowledge that he couldn't talk.  Now they are going to hand over a body that is obviously not Jack, so how is that a solution?  They think the Chinese somehow won't notice?

One final thing- we all know the reason we watch this is to see Jack vs the terrorists.  So why go do they insist on going through all this charade of making Jack an outcast, only to drag him back into doing his job one more time? It adds no intensity, no drama, no suspense to pretend like Jack is going to be just a regular guy when we all know he will soon be back in action.  Why not just have him grit his teeth and do his job, and let the excitement and tension come from the threat he is facing from the terrorists?

No mention of how Kim will feel hearing her dad, and only family, is dead.  Who cares how upset Audrey is? I'd rather have had that time addressing what Jack planned to do about letting Kim know what's going on.

That was just a sad, confused excuse for a finale.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 09:10:21 PM »

While I agree ona few points, overall I obviously loved and you did not :wink: .
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 10:29:24 PM »

My fav show and about the only thing I watch as well.  I too thought the ending did not live up to the rest of the stellar season.   Overall, this was the most intense one yet.  

What can they do now-have jack join the minutemen and stop illegals from crossing the border!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 08:43:27 AM »

I loved the last 40 minutes, primarily because I think it will make next season pretty interesting.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 04:01:05 AM »

So I`m not the ONLY one who enjoyed some of the finale at least;).
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 04:30:11 AM »

Loved it.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 02:24:18 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
I loved this season but thought that finale was lame.

Seriosuly dude.  You and whiteboyskim need to become CG Entertainment consultants or something...

Yeah, season was great but last episode was a bit lame.  But its tough to forget how enjoybale the season was.  A couple points of interest from the finale:

1.  Nuclear Weapon Blows Up....umm...looked more like a firecracker?  

2.  Jack getting shot and "killed" --and everyone leaves the room except his good pals who have an adrenaline shot?!?!  whatever... why can't he just fall into a lava pit or something...

3.  Marwan goes splat.  But the cell phone is OK!  Marwan you're the smatest idiot I know.

4.  Edgar is hilarious....face it... he's gotta be there with chloe - they will have many babies someday and they will be on 24 when we are all in our old age.

5.  HAhhaha.... Jack put on aviator glasses and walks into sunset by train tracks.  Awesome but corny too.
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 03:51:53 AM »

I still enjoy the show, but the novelty is completely gone. So much so that I think it would be a higher-impact experience reduced to a six-hour miniseries. There's just far too much filler, and too many interesting subplots that go unresolved or wind up having no significance.

Every computer they find gives them just enough information to keep going. But never enough to triumph-- not until the very end. Which, of course, makes sense given the format. But if you're going to string me along, I don't what to realize it so easily. If stupid Marwan was so dedicated to his cause, he should have killed himself and destroyed his silly Achilles'-heel PDA the moment he had confirmation that the missile was in the air. That's it? The recovery of a shot-up pocket PC saves the day?

And it annoys me that they claimed only Sutherland would be back this season. While it made the surprise appearances of Haysbert, Bernard, Ciccolella, and Aylesworth all the more meaningful, I couldn't help but feel disgusted that I'd been set up. Really, I kind of wish they'd take CTU out of the show, even though it would betray the premise. And you wonder if that'll happen next season-- but I wouldn't bet on it. Not after many of us thought it would be the case this year.

Despite that they never would have been hired in the real world, Chloe and Edgar really are a lot of fun to watch. But after the plethora of throwaway "main characters" introduced this season (Driscoll, Sarah, Marianne), I find myself longing for George Mason, Ryan Chapelle, Gael Ortega, and a full-time David Palmer. A surviving Claudia and returning Kate could have been decent characters, as well. Though Devane (Heller), Frain (Paul Raines), and Itzin (Logan) were fine additions to the cast. I also appreciated Morrison (Buchanan), Cross (Curtis), and Raver (Audrey), even though their characters didn't really go anywhere. And the family of terrorist sleepers was actually engaging, though over the top and stereotypical. All in all, it wasn't a terrible year for casting.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 08:04:05 AM »

While the ending was stretching it even for this show, I like how they could use this as a way to change things up with Jack next season.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 02:41:24 PM »

When does the new season start back up?  Reason i'm asking is my wife and i decided to start watching the show from season 1 this weekend and it's unbelievable.
We both have never watched it and we were so hooked we watched the first 9 episodes of season 1.  We left off with Jack hijacking the limo from the bank exec. on the way to the airport.  We can't wait to finish the rest.
Another question, do you have to have knowledge of the other seasons to begin at another?  We intend to watch up through season 3 this summer, but season 4 just ended, correct?  If we can't watch season 4 because it hasn't been released before season 5 starts, would that hurt us?
Season 1 is so intense, is all the season comperable?  It's killing us to watch and find out what will happen.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 05:43:53 PM »

Watching the seasons in order isn't required, but it adds a bit to the fun to see certain people and events become prominent again.

Seasons 1, 2, and 4 were great, I think 3 was a bit weaker, but still good.  Too much soap opera in season 3 for my taste.  Things do get more intense than season 1, although season 1 will always have the advantage of being new, whereas the following seasons are more of the same.

Season 5 won't start till next year(Jan) so the dvd for this season should be out by then, allowing you to catch up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 08:17:24 PM »

Xmann, Season Four will be released before Season Five starts, probably in December (S5 starts in January).  24 kind of pioneered getting the DVD out before the next season starts and its actually gained them quite a few new viewers.  

And defintely watch S4 before S5. I don't know that the plots themselves will be related but S5 is definitely set up by the end of S4.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 04:35:10 AM »

Ok i wanted to bump this post and make a few comments after watching 2/3 of the first season.  Let me know what the general feelings are about my comments.
My wife and i have watched season 1 through the episode where Terry gets amnesia.  Jack attempts to deliver the money and Kimberly is stuck at the kidnappers house.  We are really liking the show, but boy is it getting more unrealistic as it goes along.  I realize they have to be to a certain extent, but it's really getting carried away imho.  
Kim decides to run back to her original kidnappers home and can't leave.   Jack is breaking all kinds of protocal without any repercussions.  At the snap of a finger he is getting clearance to do whatever he asks immediately.  He can escape secret service with little effort.  The Senator gets whatever he wants from the Federal Gov. without question.  A doctor takes Terry back to her home even though he realizes she has a serious medical condition.  I can go on and on.
I think the only reason we are continuing to watch is to find out what happens.  Is this indicitive of all the seasons or is this one just over the top.  Or am i overreacting and it's not as bad as it seems.  I'm liking it but finding nothing remotely believable.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 07:55:19 AM »

Oh, it's as 'bad' as it seems alright.  If you were told this show is realistic, you were badly misled.  The whole point is just how crazy things can get, this show takes things in directions and to lengths that other shows can only dream about.

To be honest, season 1 is a special case.  They only made the first 11 episodes as a whole.  Then it was picked up for a full year, which forced them to scramble and patch together an extended storyline to cover the rest of the season.  That's why they resorted to the amnesia storyline- desperation.

The other seasons work better in terms of story since they were made with a full season in mind from the start. I'd suggest watching MI-5(also known as Spooks) if you want to see this kind of stuff done realistically.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 11:14:40 AM »

I didnt expect or even want it to be realistic, however, this is as overboard as anything i've ever watched.
We'll finish the season and probably start season 2 since theres nothing else on TV now to waste time on.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 12:41:58 PM »

Yes, all the seasons are that overboard.  Kim is usually the source of most of the issues- the writers could never figure out what to do with her- just wait until you get to Kim and the Mountain Lion in Season Two.

But the Jack stuff is almost always stellar.  Of course he gets what he wants- he's a complete badass and everyone knows it.  If you want to win you give Jack whatever he wants when he wants it.

There are repurcussions though.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 01:12:27 PM »

To be honest, season 1 is a special case.  They only made the first 11 episodes as a whole.  Then it was picked up for a full year, which forced them to scramble and patch together an extended storyline to cover the rest of the season.  That's why they resorted to the amnesia storyline- desperation.

It's funny, I've known this for some time and accepted it at face value.  However, reading your post I was struck with the absurdity of only planning the first half of the season with a show clearly revolving around a 24-hour story arc.  I'm not saying they should've had all 24 scripts ready before production, but they should've had all the story threads mapped from the get-go.  With the premise of the show, anything else is absurd.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 01:18:44 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

It's funny, I've known this for some time and accepted it at face value.  However, reading your post I was struck with the absurdity of only planning the first half of the season with a show clearly revolving around a 24-hour story arc.  I'm not saying they should've had all 24 scripts ready before production, but they should've had all the story threads mapped from the get-go.  With the premise of the show, anything else is absurd.

From what I understand the writers would map out what they would assume would be quite a bit.  Then, when writing the scripts, they would fine that they burned through what they thought would be a half season's worth of material in three or four episodes.

Personally, I enjoy 24 more when I think of it as an experiment in serial storytelling.  Just knowing these guys haven't planned more than an episode or two in advance is part of the fun for me.  I can see them writing cliffhangers and story elements with no clue how they are going to get out of them.  Sometimes it causes them to fall flat on their face but other times it produces some really inspired TV.  

I am very excited for next year though.  The setup from the end of Season Four should make things interesting and they have some really great new creative staff on the show too.  

And the January start *has* let them plan farther out than before.  Evidently before S4 aired, they already had half the season in the can and were able to go back and re-edit and even do a few minor reshoots to tighten things up a bit.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 06:29:24 PM »

It's funny, I've known this for some time and accepted it at face value.  However, reading your post I was struck with the absurdity of only planning the first half of the season with a show clearly revolving around a 24-hour story arc.  

Since it was a new show, with a new concept. and the network was only committing(in time and money) to the 11 episodes, I don't find it absurd that they would do a 'complete' story arc in that time.

Let's face it, there's no way you do complete story in 11 episodes that also allows those 11 shows to double as the first half of a 24 show season without something suffering(either the first 11 or the second half) for that compromise.

I imagine them doing what I would have done in that situation "Let's do the best 11 episodes we can and if we get picked up for the full year, we can come up with something to finish the season.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.".   The survival rate for new shows is so low, especially experimental shows like 24, that I wouldn't have wasted one second of time worrying about future episodes and seasons beyond the ones Fox already paid for.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 03:29:03 AM »

It's funny, I've known this for some time and accepted it at face value.  However, reading your post I was struck with the absurdity of only planning the first half of the season with a show clearly revolving around a 24-hour story arc.  

Since it was a new show, with a new concept. and the network was only committing(in time and money) to the 11 episodes, I don't find it absurd that they would do a 'complete' story arc in that time.

Let's face it, there's no way you do complete story in 11 episodes that also allows those 11 shows to double as the first half of a 24 show season without something suffering(either the first 11 or the second half) for that compromise.

I imagine them doing what I would have done in that situation "Let's do the best 11 episodes we can and if we get picked up for the full year, we can come up with something to finish the season.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.".   The survival rate for new shows is so low, especially experimental shows like 24, that I wouldn't have wasted one second of time worrying about future episodes and seasons beyond the ones Fox already paid for.

While I see your point, I don't agree with it.  The show is titled 24.  Not 11.  If they believed in the project, they should've mapped all 24 hours.  I'm also of the opinion that, since the show is serialized anyway, resolving the A plot at 11 hours while cliffhangering a new A plot (or a B plot taking sudden prominence) would work just fine and dandy.  Far better than what they ended up with, at any rate.

The writer's primary problem was having more characters than they had story for the season, so they had to either re-jeapordize characters or shove them on the backburner.  Backburner, or finding a different way to make them useful (overhearing something integral to new A plot while apprehended and thus helping piece together new A plot from within CTU) would've been the better option.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 09:23:57 PM »

I think those approaches may have worked fine for a conventional show.  But 24 has that 'real time' aspect, that seriously hamstrings most conventions of this type of show.

If you notice, on this show almost everything is driven by someone(usually Jack of course) actively searching out evidence or info, then everyone acts on it.  The characters go out and push the story in other words, they don't sit back and let the story come to them. There just isn't time for that.

Even the bad guys in this show are actively keeping tabs on developments then acting on them.

I admit I'm assuming a couple of things about how season 1 was developed.  Mainly that they didn't have the time or the money to develop 11 episodes of a 24 part show, that would also work as 11 standalone episodes.  I figure that they had the time and money to just develop the best 11 episodes they could, and hope that those episodes turned out good enough to get them a larger committment.

I imagine it would have took more writers (and therefore more time and money) to develop a full season's worth of storylines, characters, and such, than it did to do the 11 episodes.  Maybe they just didn't have the luxury of that time or money.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 01:09:57 AM »

I admit I'm assuming a couple of things about how season 1 was developed. Mainly that they didn't have the time or the money to develop 11 episodes of a 24 part show, that would also work as 11 standalone episodes. I figure that they had the time and money to just develop the best 11 episodes they could, and hope that those episodes turned out good enough to get them a larger committment.

Basically that's correct:  There were 2 factors at play in the first season:

1) Time of course.  Time is always a factor in all of television.  The writers/producers/directors only had limited time from when the network picks up the show to get it in on air for the fall so while they might sketch out the long term story-arc, actual scripts aren't written more than two or episodes in advance of what's currently shooting.  As noted above, the writers have said that the timelines have developed faster than they had anticipated when they actually get to the script stage.

2) They only had a 13 episode order at first.  Since most shows do not get ratings that garner getting picked up for full seasons the creators decided to ensure that if it ended at Episode 13 (1:00 pm Day 1) that it would still have been satisfying.  That's why you had Jack rescue his wife and daughter at just over the halfway point.  It was only in that 13th episode that they first introduced the Drazens IIRC and that would likely have been edited out if they hadn't got picked up.  

When they got a full season order they still had an idea for a general direction for the rest of the season but no specifics on what to do with certain characters (Teri and Kim) but felt obligated to include them in each episode since they were paying them as regulars.  That was something they finally learned from in the fourth season where many of the regulars didn't show up until well into the season as "Special Guest Stars."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: