http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This just in: 24 is AWESOME  (Read 3525 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2006, 01:15:50 AM »

Went and visited a friend the other day and his g/f and him essentially begged me to give 24 a shot.  I had never gotten into 24 because I felt like I would be out of the loop and that it was sort of gimmicky.

72 hours later, I have watched the entire first season and it was easily some of the most intense, thrilling television I have ever watched!

What an amazing show!  I mean, everything from the writing to the fantastic acting is top-notch.  There never seems to be a dull moment...and the plot twists and just unexpectedness of it all is thrilling.  

I don't know how people could watch an episode a week, honestly.  It was 2:30am last night and I just got done watching an episode and couldn't go to bed - I HAD to watch the next one!

Anyway, to those who haven't watched 24, you should really give it a shot.  Take it from a non-24 believer like me - you'll be kicking yourself for missing out on such great television.

Does the series get better as time continues?  I mean, how would you rank the seasons?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 02:16:31 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Does the series get better as time continues?  I mean, how would you rank the seasons?

Personal rankings:

Season 2
Season 1
Season 3&4 (Tie)

Season 3 is considered pretty disappointing however the last 1/3 of it is IMO the best 24 has ever been.  After a scattershot and somewhat lackluster first 2/3 the show's producers seemed to decide to implement an anything goes mentality that was truly thrilling.

Season 4 is more consistent throughout than S3 but suffers a bit from the fact that after several years of increasing stakes and shocks its really hard to really do something new (but it does come thorugh in a few key places).  

Season 5, so far, has gotten off to the best start of any of the seasons.  Stay far, far away from any S5 spoilers.  

DVD is definitely the preferred method if you can hold off and avoid spoilers.  My wife and I marathoned each of the first three seasons on DVD (and S3 plays much better in that format than live IMO).  S4 was our first "live" season.  Unfortunately I tend to absorb show spoilers through general osmosis even when I avoid specific threads (I knew the two key "surprises" at the end of S1  ahead of time) so it's ultimately in my best interest to watch it live if possible.

Easily one of my favorite series of all time.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 06:00:31 AM »

Season 2 is the best to date.  The first episode of Season 2 is something special.  Just because of one scene.  But you'll know what I mean after you've watched it.  So unexpected.  And it's a rollercoaster from there on out.

I watched the first two seasons on DVD too, never watched it before that.  It is definitely better that way, but having now watched season 4 normally, I can say the reason people can stand to watch it that way is that it's still really damn good.

I actually didn't make it all the way through Season 3, I will watch that one on DVD someday.  It was definitely harder to watch that one week to week.  Season 4 was just fine though, and season 5 is off to a great start.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 09:29:58 AM »

I honestly liked each season as much as the others. A incredible show.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 04:21:44 PM »

I liked season 1 a LOT, but unfortunately have never gotten around to seeing any of the others. I am going to try to Netflix season 2 this week, and get started!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:03:31 PM »

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 09:15:59 PM »

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:17 PM »

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 09:38:26 PM »

warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 09:58:17 PM »

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 11:13:58 PM »

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 12:43:06 AM »

(BTW, the first two episodes of season 2 have been GREAT!)

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 02:02:40 AM »

Oh crap that's funny.  We're talking half-chewed pizza chunks flying through the air funny.

Bravo!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 07:17:44 AM »

If you think the acting and writing is good in season 1, wait until you get to the current season.  They've really assembled some great writers and actors this season.  As far as ranking the seasons, I think season 3 was by far the best.  It had the most variety (I loved the scenes in Mexico), the single best episode (you'll know it when you see it), and the two best scenes of the series so far (the end of the above best episode and one of the final moments of the finale).  Seasons 1 and 2 are both very good, while I found season 4 disappointing, but still not bad.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 08:36:41 AM »

Yes, that is a perfect picture for that exclamation.  It makes me giggle every time I see it.

Season 2 is going well except for one thing that bothers the shit out of me.  Darlene is in it.  And that annoys me.  Because whenever I see her, I think "Roseanne" and that sort of kills the experience.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 01:04:32 PM »

Season 2 is going well except for one thing that bothers the shit out of me.  Darlene is in it.  And that annoys me.  Because whenever I see her, I think "Roseanne" and that sort of kills the experience.

I won't spoil too much but... um... it's not a big deal really.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 03:59:47 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
If you think the acting and writing is good in season 1, wait until you get to the current season.  They've really assembled some great writers and actors this season.  As far as ranking the seasons, I think season 3 was by far the best.  It had the most variety (I loved the scenes in Mexico), the single best episode (you'll know it when you see it), and the two best scenes of the series so far (the end of the above best episode and one of the final moments of the finale).  Seasons 1 and 2 are both very good, while I found season 4 disappointing, but still not bad.

Speaking of S3- TML when you get to it, close your eyes if possible when inserting the discs and navigating the menus after, say, Disc 3 or so.  The main menu has a *huge* spoiler on it for the episode Eddie mentioned.

It might sound like a pain in the butt to do, but you'll thank me for it.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 12:43:12 AM »

That episode in Season 3 is amazing.  AMAZING.  You will be shocked and moved when you see it.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 09:59:30 AM »

I always want to watch this show, but the $50 price tag for each set really kills it for me.

And I hate renting, so don't bother bringing that up smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 04:42:22 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I always want to watch this show, but the $50 price tag for each set really kills it for me.

You should check the Sunday ads more.  I've seen S1 on sale for $19.99 quite frequently and the other seasons (except for S4) have hit that price on occassion.  

FWIW, Amazon has all of the seaons right now for between $32-35 a set.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 06:18:20 PM »

I had that problem with renting it, too.  I wanted to OWN the sets - but to be honest, I'm not sure I'd watch it more than once.  The surprises will be gone, twists spoiled, etc.  So renting is perfect for me - AND it comes out to about $16 per season.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 11:05:38 AM »

Just finished season 2 - I loved it!

Michelle Dressler is a 100% cutie, it is official.  Reiko Aylesworth, you're only ten years older then me, we can make this work!

Annnnnd season 2 spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
George Mason is the fucking MAN.  What supurb acting.  Totally forgot what happened to Nina, hopefully she'll be making another appearance down the line.  I swear, if Kim Bauer told the truth all the time, she would really cut down on getting in trouble so much.  Maaaan.  She sort of ticks me off.  And judging from the end of season 2, it doesn't look like Jack's gonna get much rest (President Palmer contracted some sort of virus from the lesbian hitwoman from her hand).  A tad disappointing, I sort of liked how we had some time in-between seasons 1 and 2, but hey, no problem!  Can't wait to watch season 3, but my goodness, I sort of need a break!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 10:03:50 PM »

I MUST get to season 2, TML is really making me want to watch it goddamnit.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 10:10:39 PM »

Wow the Owls have taken this thread over.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 11:13:40 PM »

TML- just a heads up:  The producers pretty much ignore the setup at the end of Season 2.  Season 3 actually starts 3 years later with an all new plot.  

And if you do want to find out what happened at the end of S2, they are telling that story in the 24 Game coming out this month.  It's official canon, written by the same guys who write the show.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 12:13:21 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
TML- just a heads up:  The producers pretty much ignore the setup at the end of Season 2.  Season 3 actually starts 3 years later with an all new plot.  

And if you do want to find out what happened at the end of S2, they are telling that story in the 24 Game coming out this month.  It's official canon, written by the same guys who write the show.

Holy shit, awesome!  Can't wait for the game (which will most likely suck, but hopefully it's got that same tension/set-up, which would make it tolerable biggrin)

Yeah, I told myself to give 24 a rest...and I returned the last season 2 dvd early Saturday and left...but I got that itch...and was forced to go back and grab the first couple of dvds for season 3.  IT'S A SICKNESS, A SICKNESS!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 03:15:30 AM »

Holy shit, awesome!  Can't wait for the game (which will most likely suck, but hopefully it's got that same tension/set-up, which would make it tolerable biggrin)

There was a demo on a recent OPM disk.  The demo is pretty old (from E3 last year) so its a bit rough but its actually not too bad.  They really nail the feeling of the show and all of the cast of the show (including Palmer) is on board.   Though I'm sorry to say that Michelle's character model looks like complete ass.  The rest of the character models look good though.  

Probably won't set the world on fire, but its looking like it won't be an embarrassment, either, as far as licensed properties go.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 03:56:44 AM »

Cool! Sounds worth a rental.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 07:00:48 AM »

Son of a bitch!

I was just browsing Jack Bauer quotes to plug into my profile on here and I read a major spoiler.  OFJIOIEJRO3ih4oi3hy489y34hio3j43kl4!

I NEED TO MAKE MYSELF FORGET!!!!!!!!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2006, 04:26:11 PM »

Son of a bitch!

I was just browsing Jack Bauer quotes to plug into my profile on here and I read a major spoiler.  OFJIOIEJRO3ih4oi3hy489y34hio3j43kl4!

I NEED TO MAKE MYSELF FORGET!!!!!!!!!

hahahahah you silly bastard. Take a deep breath man!!
 nod
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 06:17:59 PM »

I woke up and I still remember.  Oh well.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 06:21:25 PM »

Care to post the spoiler (appropriately protected of course)?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2006, 06:55:45 PM »

I don't know if it's from Season 3...but I'm guessing it is because I saw someone in the opening menu thing on the first season 3 disk...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nina said something, then Jack said something, then Jack shot Nina.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »

Well, on the bright side there are far worse things you could have had spoiled for you.

EDIT- And what did I tell you about looking at the menus?  Keep your eyes closed dammit!  There is a far worse spoiler right on one of the disc menus.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2006, 08:18:01 PM »

I know, but I enjoy the start up!

I hit the time, then it goes to another screen THAT'S the screen I don't look at because there's always a scene from that episode.  Why do that do that?  Do you think the main viewship of the dvd's are fans who had already watched the shows?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006, 10:02:59 PM »

I hit the time, then it goes to another screen THAT'S the screen I don't look at because there's always a scene from that episode.  Why do that do that?  Do you think the main viewship of the dvd's are fans who had already watched the shows?

I may be wrong (I'll try and check tonight) but the spoiler I'm referring to is on the main menu episode select page, not the individual episode menu.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006, 10:06:40 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I may be wrong (I'll try and check tonight) but the spoiler I'm referring to is on the main menu episode select page, not the individual episode menu.

Wow that is a collossal blunder.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 08:44:06 AM »

SEASON 3 SPOILERS  *Up to episode 19*

Spoiler for Hiden:
I swear, this has been the most emotional season of any so far.  Ryan Chapelle was just shot (sacrificed, I guess) and wow, that was pretty sad.  Man alive.  

And this whole situation with Michelle isn't going to end well, I can just tell.  I am on episode 19 and I believe she gets her test results back this episode...I overheard a spoiler before even watching 24 that she dies [grrrrrrrrrrr], so I know that's going to happen, but a part of me thinks that she's going to end up being clean, but a patient is going to infect her somehow tragically.

And I am really not COOL WITH THAT.  Michelle and Tony's relationship has really been a highlight with me so far, and as much as I enjoyed Nina, Michelle is really my girl.  She's really delivering some fantastic acting, and to be honest, the whole cast is just outrageously great at putting on really, really fine acting (sans Cuthbert, imo).  Poor, poor Michelle.

But really, the emotional intensity is really ramping up in the ending 1/2 of season 3.  Maybe it's because to be perfectly honest I was sort of happy to see Jack's wife die (she was super annoying with that whole amnesia thing), but with the virus outbreak (and the suicide capsules), Chapelle's sacrifice and Dessler's death (guessing she will die somehow), this is one downer of a season.  Don't get me wrong, it's been a great season (although the worst I've seen of the first three so far), just a bit of a downer.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: