http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:06:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This job search thing isn't fun.  (Read 707 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »

Well,after being unemployed for a few months, I've... Okay just say it, lowered my standards, if you will. I have a few somewhat promising things that are still up in the air, otherwise I'm going to start looking a bit lower than I have been. I'm certainly not above this, but wow, swallowing pride isn't very easy. Any advice on my situation? Or job hunting in general? I just want to be happy again, I HATE being stuck at home. Don't get me wrong I love my wife. I love spending more time at home as well, but this...is fucking horrible. To quote les claypool, "weekends don't mean so much when you are unemployed"...
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »

Back in 2008 I struggled for six months to find work, and in all cases I was faced with more or less resetting my environmental career, despite 10 years of experience.  Some serious personal reflection, professional aspirations, long-term goals, and overall quality of life were weighed, and it all led me back to graduate school to earn a Doctor of Pharmacy degree.  It took me 2 1/2 years to complete my remaining prerequisites, and I'm only just under one semester into a 4-year program, so this has been no small undertaking, but at this stage in the game I haven't once looked back. 

I'm not saying a return to education is your only other option, but certainly something to consider if you feel it could improve your marketability, professional longevity, or earning potential.  Granted, such a sacrifice is no easy task, as I can attest, but long-term?  I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Ultimately it all started when I felt my job search wasn't amounting to anything and I was unwilling to sit idle.  A return to education at least kept me busy, and ultimately it got me to where I am now. 

I understand my story doesn't aid in your job search specifically, but perhaps it might give you a different perspective in evaluating where you go from here.  Still, lowering expectations is fine when general employment becomes more important than career satisfaction, but be aware that taking a step back in salary or resetting your earning bracket only prolongs returning to where you once were.  I was unwilling to completely reset my career, hence why I began the six-year journey to earn a PharmD and am already almost halfway.

I guess my point is to demonstrate that you are not alone, and that there may be other options outside of simply settling for something your heart just isn't in.

Good luck.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »

I know jobs seem scarce around the world, however Jobs I think are an endangered species here in the UK

I was made redundant in 2009 and unemployed until i fell ill in 2010 but was back as unemployed in April just gone

Not getting a job is annoying,but it's not even getting a reply full stop that kicks me and makes me wonder if i am using the right postage or email address each time,are they even opening my letters are they even looking at my CV in email attachments?

I go to a Job Agency ..er..thing each Wednesday,and my worries are nearly word for word with other peoples

Today we re-worded my cover letter....again

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

What kind of job are you looking for?  My company was hiring quite a few software engineer types a little while back, I doubt they are all filled.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »

What kind of job are you looking for, and where?  I'd be happy to check my company's internal listings.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »

First of all, thankyou for all the replies. Once more the GT community shows what a great group of people are in this circle.
To answer the questions of my career path. I've been in the beverage industry, more or less, for a long while now. I've worked in a brewery, Managed a winery, Bartended, done Beer and wine ordering and worked with distributors on promoting new products in the market. That's why I've been trying to get a beer or wine sales rep job. Seriously, it would be a perfect fit. It really is something I should have Pursued years ago. Back to the comment about returning to school, that has been under consideration bigtime. Obviously money is factor with that, but there are obviously ways around that. I know in not old really, but being 36, in this position, is really frustrating.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

The only advice I can really give based on the time I got laid off is to look after your mental health and set a schedule.  

Make sure you get out of the house and get some exercise daily, even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood.  Doing this in the morning can really help your outlook on the day, as cliched as that sounds.

Set aside at least a couple hours every day that you dedicate to your job search.  Think of this as your current job, and build your schedule around it.  This way you can feel like you are making progress every day and have dedicated time to worry about those problems, rather than letting them seep into any time you're not job searching.  Either spend that time resume polishing, looking online for jobs and that sort of thing, or bettering yourself and preparing by reading technical books, doing tests (as a programmer I did a lot of programming tests), or whatever works for your field.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 03:37:20 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 07, 2012, 10:37:17 PM

Make sure you get out of the house and get some exercise daily, even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood.  Doing this in the morning can really help your outlook on the day, as cliched as that sounds.

I started walking a few weeks after my last layoff. I had porked up pretty bad after years of working in an office job. When I couldn't find a job right away, I decided to focus on the things that I could control, like my weight. I couldn't join a gym or buy exercise equipment, but I figured all I needed for walking was a decent pair of shoes.

That was eight years ago, and I still start nearly every morning with a 3- or 4-mile walk. It works out to somewhere around 1,000 miles a year.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:32:54 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 08, 2012, 03:37:20 AM

I started walking a few weeks after my last layoff. I had porked up pretty bad after years of working in an office job. When I couldn't find a job right away, I decided to focus on the things that I could control, like my weight. I couldn't join a gym or buy exercise equipment, but I figured all I needed for walking was a decent pair of shoes.

That was eight years ago, and I still start nearly every morning with a 3- or 4-mile walk. It works out to somewhere around 1,000 miles a year.

I think this would be about the only way I'll ever get much exercise.  3 hours of drive time a day on top of the 9 hours there plus kids and family time afterwards. 

Harpua, don't look on lesser paying/lower ladder jobs as being a step down.  they can keep you going until something more fitting comes along and can always lead to a better job through work connections.  I've worked at 3 different companies almost entirely on the basis of knowing someone who could recommend me from a previous one.  in sales, this might be the best way to get your foot in the door. 

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33:27 AM »

Thanks again. I actually have started to make it a priority to do things to keep me healthy, mentally and physically. For a few weeks I was just bumming around when I wasn't looking for work. That doesn't help at all. I got all grumpy and felt sleepy all the time, really just bummed out. The last few days I've been meeting friends for lunch or a beer, just really doing anything to just "refresh" myself. I have noticed a difference. It has gotten me a bit more optimistic. People have ideas and its nice to hear them. I've also started looking into other fields as well. Tomorrow, I have 4 jobs to check out. Not careers, but jobs. I figure getting out of the house to do one of these would sure as hell beat sitting around and making zero money.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:34:53 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 08, 2012, 05:32:54 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on November 08, 2012, 03:37:20 AM

I think this would be about the only way I'll ever get much exercise.  3 hours of drive time a day on top of the 9 hours there plus kids and family time afterwards. 

Harpua, don't look on lesser paying/lower ladder jobs as being a step down.  they can keep you going until something more fitting comes along and can always lead to a better job through work connections.  I've worked at 3 different companies almost entirely on the basis of knowing someone who could recommend me from a previous one.  in sales, this might be the best way to get your foot in the door. 

I saw this right after I posted. That's what I'm starting to figure out, thank you.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:42:46 AM »

any time. 

as for the job retraining thing, I did that over 10 years ago after a certain major event shattered the industry I had just entered.  it was tough then, but if you find you need to go back, in the end you'll feel better that you did. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 02:46:35 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 08, 2012, 05:42:46 AM

any time.  

as for the job retraining thing, I did that over 10 years ago after a certain major event shattered the industry I had just entered.  it was tough then, but if you find you need to go back, in the end you'll feel better that you did.  

This?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »

c'mon... Harpua, Male Gigolo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2012, 04:16:07 AM

c'mon... Harpua, Male Gigolo.

Now we are talking. Ill see if I can convince my wife...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: