http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:16:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of changing vehicles (Updated: help with next steps!)  (Read 5026 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2008, 03:11:20 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 04:40:02 AM

Quote from: cheeba on May 27, 2008, 03:59:02 AM

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 03:48:07 AM

I've been looking at some of the others for several months.   Didn't like any of them based mainly on engine power, fun to drive factors, and looks. 
You mean the turbocharged MINI, the S, right? Because the base MINI has one of the weaker engines in its class.

I'm going for MPG here, not power and speed.
You just said you liked it based on engine power! lol

It may seem like I'm debating you, but I'm trying to help you out here, dude. You're car shopping with very limited information. For instance, you do know that the MINI (the S at least, which as Mealio said is the one to get, don't know about the base) takes Premium gas, right?
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 03:05:17 PM

Wait a sec --   you have to go back to the dealership for oil changes?    Does this mean I'll have to drive 2 hours to the dealership to get an oil change, or will I be able to take it to a non-MINI BMW dealership for oil changes?

Driving two hours to get an oil change isn't my idea of fun!
You don't have to.  But if you want them for free, you do.  Right on schedule, once-a-year or every 12,000 miles (whichever comes first).  And they'll give you a loaner (or come up and swap cars for you, depending on the dealership).
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »

Wait a sec --   you have to go back to the dealership for oil changes?    Does this mean I'll have to drive 2 hours to the dealership to get an oil change, or will I be able to take it to a non-MINI BMW dealership for oil changes?

Seriously.

We got our Mini's in St Louis.  Since our company is in Omaha and the nearest Mini dealer was (then) in Kansas City, it meant any maintenance was an entire day affair.  The BMW dealership in Omaha wouldn't even look at our Mini's.

We now have a dedicated Mini dealership so that's no longer a problem.  

Also, I no longer work at Geeks! so I don't care about any problems they have with their one remaining Mini.  (Two of the previous owners of Geeks! took the Mini's with them when they sold the company leaving one to be used by the new owner.)

And after reading Cheeba's post, even the non-S model Mini required premium.  

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 27, 2008, 03:11:20 PM

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 04:40:02 AM

Quote from: cheeba on May 27, 2008, 03:59:02 AM

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 03:48:07 AM

I've been looking at some of the others for several months.   Didn't like any of them based mainly on engine power, fun to drive factors, and looks. 
You mean the turbocharged MINI, the S, right? Because the base MINI has one of the weaker engines in its class.

I'm going for MPG here, not power and speed.
You just said you liked it based on engine power! lol

It may seem like I'm debating you, but I'm trying to help you out here, dude. You're car shopping with very limited information. For instance, you do know that the MINI (the S at least, which as Mealio said is the one to get, don't know about the base) takes Premium gas, right?
I know I know... I'm sorry I snapped at you.   Lateness of the night brings out outrages more frequently.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 27, 2008, 03:14:37 PM

You don't have to.  But if you want them for free, you do.  Right on schedule, once-a-year or every 12,000 miles (whichever comes first).  And they'll give you a loaner (or come up and swap cars for you, depending on the dealership).

Me confused.    Are you saying that you can get the oil changed anywhere, but if you take it back to the dealer it's free?    Or are you saying an oil change other places are more expensive than an average oil change?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 27, 2008, 02:49:53 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on May 24, 2008, 01:53:24 PM

As far as buying the mini. Stock on the floor is VERY limited at mini stores, ordering is pretty standard. Hopefully Neal can tell you more about the mini purchase process, I test drove one but didn't go through with it.
That's a super-rare feat!  Few folks can test drive the MINI without wanting one.

Primarily due to what msd is just learning about... the nearest mini dealer was too far away for me from a service perspective, though way closer than msd's would be. Also, the whole concept of order and wait bothers me. I understand it allows you to get exactly what you want, but I don't like waiting... and nothing they had at the dealership was what I was looking for.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 03:28:40 PM

Are you saying that you can get the oil changed anywhere, but if you take it back to the dealer it's free?    Or are you saying an oil change other places are more expensive than an average oil change?
Jiffy Lube isn't going to turn you away.  They're also not going to do it for free.  The oil in the system is some super-duper synthetic (hence the 12,000+ miles per change), and the filter is of higher quality than what you'd expect from a vehicle made earlier this decade.  I *believe* the price of a filter runs about $35, but that's from my potentially mistaken memory.  A non-MINI BMW dealership is *not* going to do this maintenance for you for free under warranty.  (I'm not sure if they'd do it for you but charge you for it.)
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 27, 2008, 03:49:31 PM

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 03:28:40 PM

Are you saying that you can get the oil changed anywhere, but if you take it back to the dealer it's free?    Or are you saying an oil change other places are more expensive than an average oil change?
Jiffy Lube isn't going to turn you away.  They're also not going to do it for free.  The oil in the system is some super-duper synthetic (hence the 12,000+ miles per change), and the filter is of higher quality than what you'd expect from a vehicle made earlier this decade.  I *believe* the price of a filter runs about $35, but that's from my potentially mistaken memory.  A non-MINI BMW dealership is *not* going to do this maintenance for you for free under warranty.  (I'm not sure if they'd do it for you but charge you for it.)

Hmm..   So I wonder how much it would cost me to get my oil changed at a non-MINI service center.    $35 for the filter, xxx for the synthetic, and how much for the labor?     I mean if you are only getting it done every 12,000 miles, even a more expensive oil change might not be too big of a deal.    Depends on how much 'more expensive' is.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »

A Jiffy-Lube equivalent oil change with high quality synthetic will run you around $60-70.  If you do it yourself you can save a lot of money with giant jugs of Mobil-1 from Wally World.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

The Prius has an 8yr 100K warranty on the batteries and hybrid system

http://cars.about.com/cs/familysedans/a/hybrid_explain.htm

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on May 27, 2008, 05:50:24 PM

The Prius has an 8yr 100K warranty on the batteries and hybrid system

http://cars.about.com/cs/familysedans/a/hybrid_explain.htm

The rumor (myth?) I heard was that if you do most of your driving over 45mph, it would be dramatically less fuel efficiency.    Toyota states 40+ hwy -- does hwy figure speeds over 45 mph?

I still haven't completely ruled out the Prius!
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 27, 2008, 06:53:44 PM

I still haven't completely ruled out the Prius!
Definitely keep your options open.  The MINIs can be a bit quirky depending on your needs.  (Spend some time poking about that NAM forum I linked.)
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »

Do give it considerable thought before buying a Prius because you will be paying more up front and then saving at the pump. But the more gas goes up, the better off you'll be. If you drive a lot, it may pay off. Otherwise something like a Honda Fit may be the way to go.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »

I've owned a Prius since Oct. 2003.  To address your questions:

4 1/2 years later, I've had no issues with the batteries.  As stated earlier, the warranty on them is 8 years/100k miles.

I drive the Prius pretty hard on the highway.  Usually around 75-80 MPH.  Doing this you won't get the as advertised MPG, but I still get around 46-48 when it's all said and done.  Where it really shines is in town traffic.  There is definitely a learning curve to getting the most out of it, but there is a digital screen that shows you what's going on, so it's somewhat like a game Tongue.

Buying the Prius has certainly been worth it for us.

I'll try and answer any other questions you may have.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2008, 11:22:43 PM »

Well the carmax offer was equal to the Kelly Blue Book Trade-in value.

In the comments they said:  Beautiful car.   Value affected by slow SUV market.

So private sell it is going to be....

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2008, 03:41:31 AM »

I had good replies on Autotrader.com when I used it a few years ago. Started getting replies about a full day after it went online, and got a steady stream of replies with questions and such until it was sold 2 days later.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2008, 03:42:40 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 28, 2008, 03:41:31 AM

I had good replies on Autotrader.com when I used it a few years ago. Started getting replies about a full day after it went online, and got a steady stream of replies with questions and such until it was sold 2 days later.

Thanks!   I think that's the route I'll go.     The last time carmax offered me on a car, I sold it 3 weeks later for $6000 more than their offer.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: