http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:20:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking About Getting an iPhone...  (Read 768 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »

I've been an avid Blackberry user/fan for the past 3 or 4 years and last April I purchased a Bold and have enjoyed it pretty well.  The Blackberry does email exceptionally well.  The design of the bold is great.  But RIM completely missed the boat by not allowing users to install Apps on the external memory card.   We are only given 128 MB to install applications.  The App World kind of loses it's appeal when you can install such a limited number of applications.  Boneheaded move.

So, I used one of my colleagues iPhones the other day and was actually really impressed.  I always thought I would be unable to type fast on one, but I entered in an appointment for him, with a pretty detailed description and typed it every bit as fast as I would have on my Bold keypad. 

I am now thinking about taking the plunge and getting one.  They work well with our corporate email, and my bill is covered by my company either way. 

I have an idea to get an iPhone and would love any insight on whether it is a good idea or not.

My Bold is randomly powering off on me, which is completely annoying and not good for the business I'm in.  I was talking to an 84 year old client the other day, reassuring her that her interest check would be sent out on time, and it shut off.  Blackberry's take forever to boot back up, and explaining all of that to an 84 year old was tough!  Anyway, my Bold is under Warranty and I'm having a replacement sent to me. 

I am considering unlocking the Bold as soon as I get it (easily done), and selling it on eBay.  The average selling price for a mint unlocked Bold on eBay is $250-$275. 

Then of course I will use those proceeds to buy an iPhone on Ebay.  Anyone have any experience buying an iPhone on eBay.  Is the iPhone reliable, or is a warranty a must.  Anyone know that if I buy a used iPhone, if I can insurance through ATT? 

Thoughts? 

Ch

Go Gunners...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:20:37 AM »

If you don't need the phone right away, Apple has released a new version every June since it came out and there's no reason to think they won't do it again this summer.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 01, 2010, 02:20:37 AM

If you don't need the phone right away, Apple has released a new version every June since it came out and there's no reason to think they won't do it again this summer.

Good point.  The only rush is the fact that my Bold will be in Mint condition, and the going price for the Bold may decrease before June. 

Go Gunners...
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:08:15 AM »

I bought a refurbished iPhone from ATT for 50% off, it looked brand new when I got it, nothing was missing but the warranty was only 90 days I think and sure enough the wifi quit working shortly after that.  I have decent 3G coverage in my area so it really hasn't hurt me much at all but I would take that short warranty into account were I to do it over again.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:13:07 AM »

Quote from: Rich on February 01, 2010, 04:08:15 AM

I bought a refurbished iPhone from ATT for 50% off, it looked brand new when I got it, nothing was missing but the warranty was only 90 days I think and sure enough the wifi quit working shortly after that.  I have decent 3G coverage in my area so it really hasn't hurt me much at all but I would take that short warranty into account were I to do it over again.

Do you know the price of refurbished 3G iPhones, without a new contract?  I'm not eligible for an upgrade.

Go Gunners...
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »

Just be sure you have good wireless coverage in the area you are in.  You can check the coverage on AT&Ts web site.

The iphone is a great little device, but I don't get reception everywhere -- my home, for example, is in a black hole with no coverage.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:53:42 PM »

My wife has had one for over a year.  She loves it with one huge caveat- AT&T coverage in our area completely sucks.  The moment that the iPhone is non-exclusive she'll drop AT&T in a nanosecond. 

Also, my iimpression is that AT&T's 3G infrastructure is getting bogged down by traffic.  Internet stuff is notably slower than it was when she bought it and is much slower anytime we compare it to the same activity on my Droid. 
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:45:20 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on February 01, 2010, 02:18:15 AM

Anyone have any experience buying an iPhone on eBay?

No but I would check the boards on eBay to see if folks are having issues.

Is the iPhone reliable, or is a warranty a must.  Anyone know that if I buy a used iPhone, if I can insurance through ATT?  

I received a refurbished iPhone 3GS from my Wife and it only comes with a 90 day warranty. So far I have no issues with it and it looked brand new when I opened it up on Xmas. Unfortunately, ATT doesn't have an insurance policy for the iPhone. If you break it you have to send it in to get fixed or by another refurb.

Thoughts?  
I freaking love this thing! It truly is a revolutionary phone/entertainment device. I had a smartphone before this one and it was literally a brick while the iPhone is sleek and can go into my pocket. I bought a case for it and am doing everything I can to protect it from being damaged. It does feel sturdy and I bet I could drop it with out any damage occurring. Be careful about "upgrading" to the iPhone. A friend of mine was told that he couldn't even after telling them that he would pay whatever opt out fee. icon_confused  Also, I'm in San Diego and have had no problems getting coverage.

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:49 PM »

As far as I know, it's almost always cheaper to get a phone subsidized from AT&T than it is to get one off ebay.  I would definitely look into refurbs as mentioned above.  It's an amazing device and despite other phones like Droid having faster processors and some feature advantages, the user experience and particularly the App Store put the iphone way above and beyond everything else available now IMO.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:25:54 PM »

As a former AT&T Customer Care manager, the only way (up through 2007) to get a refurb was via the website, which meant upgrade eligible only.  Other than that, you were out of luck.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

I have grown to dislike my iPhone. I loved it at first but after a year and a half I've found things I don't like:

1. It's pretty painful to use it as a web reader. For example - using it to read a site like fark.com , clicking on a link, and then 'closing the new window' to go back has one of two possibilities: A. Refreshing all of fark.com even though it's been less than a minute since it fully loaded. B. Locking the phone for 30 seconds while Safari crashes. The phone switches between A and B about 50% of the time. It's pretty much a waste of time to try to look at any 'large' site on it.

2. The dropped calls. Oh my god, the dropped calls. There are so many times where I get an unexplainable 'Call failed' when dialing someone, or the call just cuts out or people cannot hear me. Sometimes I even have missed calls and voicemails without my phone bothering to ring.

3. The Luke Wilson commercials. I used to like Luke Wilson, but now I want that man to die in a fire.

4. The fact that biteSMS, which is available for people who have jailbroken their phone, is not a mainstream app for iPhone. What this does is allow you to respond to a text message - WITHOUT having to close the current app you have open.

When all is said and done, I will probably continue my contract on a month to month basis. There are things I do like about the iPhone. However, it will not take much to make me switch cell phone providers at this point.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:01:43 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 01, 2010, 08:57:13 PM

I have grown to dislike my iPhone. I loved it at first but after a year and a half I've found things I don't like:

1. It's pretty painful to use it as a web reader. For example - using it to read a site like fark.com , clicking on a link, and then 'closing the new window' to go back has one of two possibilities: A. Refreshing all of fark.com even though it's been less than a minute since it fully loaded. B. Locking the phone for 30 seconds while Safari crashes. The phone switches between A and B about 50% of the time. It's pretty much a waste of time to try to look at any 'large' site on it.

2. The dropped calls. Oh my god, the dropped calls. There are so many times where I get an unexplainable 'Call failed' when dialing someone, or the call just cuts out or people cannot hear me.

3. The Luke Wilson commercials. I used to like Luke Wilson, but now I want that man to die in a fire.

4. The fact that biteSMS, which is available for people who have jailbroken their phone, is not a mainstream app for iPhone. What this does is allow you to respond to a text message - WITHOUT having to close the current app you have open.

When all is said and done, I will probably continue my contract on a month to month basis. There are things I do like about the iPhone. However, it will not take much to make me switch cell phone providers at this point.

All of this.  I'm tired of my iPhone as well.  I'll be selling it jailbroken and unlocked on the forums soon. I was thinking 200 bucks shipped.  Nexus One here I come. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »

The iPhone bitching makes me glad I have a Droid.

Multitasking FTW!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »

This really never happens to me because I view all of my web content through RSS feeds on the phone.  Fark.com seems perfect for this and if it does crash or reload when the new window opens, it won't matter as much because Google Reader opens pretty darn quick.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »

2. The dropped calls. Oh my god, the dropped calls. There are so many times where I get an unexplainable 'Call failed' when dialing someone, or the call just cuts out or people cannot hear me. Sometimes I even have missed calls and voicemails without my phone bothering to ring.

Pretty much all of this . In the end I really do like the phone and it has changed me and what I am willing to have in a phone. But the constant crashing, where three quarters of the time I try to wake up the phone to unlock it the screen flashes and I have to pound the button at the right times to get it to unlock. I am not happy being totally locked out of my phone and forced to live in the world of Apple. Yes, I know I can just jailbreak it but for the most part it's been fine for me.

Most of all I am tired of having all of my calls constantly dropping. Calling people and having them not hear me, or I can't hear them. I'm not sure if the sensor is going but now it's started randomly putting people on hold or I am talking to someone and I am now calling someone else magically. In either case, come this Summer I'll probably be jumping to an android or Palm phone.  

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 10:01:09 PM »

Just so you see there are two sides here:

I can tell you that my Blackberry and Verizon sucked worse than anything that I've ever encountered with ATT and my 3 versions of iPhones, over 3 years. From customer service, to phone service, to phone features. Everything with ATT/iPhone has been better.

ATT, Flash, Multi-Tasking, Bitch, Bitch, Bitch....

I'm sure KD and DF will get new phones/providers and they will be perfect for them forever.  icon_wink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 11:44:06 PM »

Well I used ATT and CIngular for years with my other phones and they worked just fine. Along with T-Mobile which used the same towers I believe for my area. In the beginning when I got the iPhone it worked perfectly and I loved the experience but it seems to have gotten worse and worse as time went on. I don't know if it is because of the phone itself or ATT changing things with it's network.

I mean I always had a shitty experience with mobile Safari, any page that was image heavy or large it would just up and crash out.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:01 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 01, 2010, 08:58:57 PM

All of this.  I'm tired of my iPhone as well.  I'll be selling it jailbroken and unlocked on the forums soon. I was thinking 200 bucks shipped.  Nexus One here I come. 

Have fun with that... I played around with a friends droid and I found it felt.. well clunky compared to an iPhone.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 01:32:06 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 01, 2010, 08:58:57 PM

2. The dropped calls. Oh my god, the dropped calls. There are so many times where I get an unexplainable 'Call failed' when dialing someone, or the call just cuts out or people cannot hear me.

YGPM!

Go Gunners...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: