http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:48:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things to Do in Tucson, Arizona  (Read 853 times)
Rowdy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »

I'm taking a business trip to Tucson, AZ next week, and have a day to kill. Any suggestions on what to do for my free day and my evenings?  I'm staying at the Hilton and will have a vehicle at my disposal.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 08:49:21 PM »

There's actually a lot to do in/around Tucson.  I don't know how much of a shutterbug or naturist you may be, but Colossal Cave is a blast.  Old Tucson might be something to research; I know they've been doing a lot of renovations lately.  As far as downtown, Hotel Congress is a neat, old place with a lot of cool decor to photograph.  They've also got a nice bar/restaurant.  I guess it all depends on what you'd like to do!

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »

I would strongly suggest visiting the Sonora Desert Museum.  Think of it as a combination botanical garden and zoo.  If you've never been to Arizona, or haven't made it a point to explore the landscape, this is a must-see.  You have to drive through part of Saguarro National Park to get there, which is incredibly scenic (imagine a forest composed entirely of Saguarro cactus with switch-backs and incredible views that reach all the way into Mexico), and the museum itself is absolutely stunning.  Great views, amazing flora and fauna, a decent sit-down restaurant as well as quality counter service, programs throughout the day, and it really provides you with an in-depth glimpse into the wildlife and vegetation of southern Arizona.  A beautiful place my wife and I visit a few times a year.  And as the weather starts to cool things are really starting to grow again.

I would highly recommend it.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »

I had a buddy who moved to Tucson Arizona in 9th grade.  That was about 25 years ago.  His name was Warren Lau.  His grandparents owned a candy store or something.  Anyone know him?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 02, 2007, 09:06:48 PM

I would strongly suggest visiting the Sonora Desert Museum.  Think of it as a combination botanical garden and zoo.  If you've never been to Arizona, or haven't made it a point to explore the landscape, this is a must-see.  You have to drive through part of Saguaro National Park to get there, which is incredibly scenic (imagine a forest composed entirely of Saguaro cactus with switch-backs and incredible views that reach all the way into Mexico), and the museum itself is absolutely stunning.  Great views, amazing flora and fauna, a decent sit-down restaurant as well as quality counter service, programs throughout the day, and it really provides you with an in-depth glimpse into the wildlife and vegetation of southern Arizona.  A beautiful place my wife and I visit a few times a year.  And as the weather starts to cool things are really starting to grow again.

I would highly recommend it.   

I always forget about that place.  He's right, Rowdy, I'd pick the Museum over Old Tucson any day.

Having grown up in a small town in the desert near Tucson and basically lived there until I moved to Phoenix in '97, I forget how many other folks find it so beautiful and interesting.  To me, coyotes, mountain lions, scorpions, rattlesnakes, cacti, mesquite trees and the like are just life, not WILDlife. smile  It's a blast, though.  Especially if you can get the tarantula guy to let the thing crawl on you.  Muy bueno.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:36:37 AM »

Quote from: Rowdy on October 02, 2007, 08:41:30 PM

I'm taking a business trip to Tucson, AZ next week, and have a day to kill. Any suggestions on what to do for my free day and my evenings?  I'm staying at the Hilton and will have a vehicle at my disposal.

The Hilton East on Broadway? That's like a two-minute drive from my house. Most people have covered the major attractions. I'll agree with the others that the Desert Museum should be your highest priority. You should also consider visiting Sabino Canyon if you're into hiking. It's about a five mile drive from the Hillton East and it is just spectacular. You have to walk about a mile up the main trail before it gets really interesting (I don't think the tram is running right now), but it is really worth it.

You should also try some good restaurants while your in town. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of good restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, but here are a few well worth driving to. Vivace is probably the best restaurant in town. It has amazing Italian food and the owner and wait staff are the nicest people you'll ever meet. If you want to sample Mexican food, Cafe Poca Cosa in downtown is one of the best Mexican restaurants. It's a little different from what you'd expect, in that they don't serve Sonoran-style Mexican food. They don't have a set menu; the waiter brings a chalkboard around that lists all of the day's entrees. If you go, I'd recommend the chicken mole if it's being served that night. Some other good restaurants include Seri Melaka (very good Chinese/Malaysian restaurant a short drive from your hotel), Verona's Italian restaurant, and Rio Cafe (a Latin fusion restaurant).
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:51:58 AM »

You could always stand outside and wonder whether Hell truly is hotter. nod

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 05:45:14 AM »

Aftrer spending 4 years there, my suggestion would be to visit I-10 and get the hell out while you still have your sanity.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »

The Kartchner Caverns is a great place to visit that is SE of there.

http://www.azstateparks.com/Parks/parkhtml/kartchner.html

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, esp. about the museum and the restaurants, I'll be sure to check those out!

I was thinking about golfing on my free day...   ninja  Is it still too hot this time of year to golf during the day?  Would it be possible to check out the museum and golf a round on the same day, or is that getting too ambitious?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: