http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:12:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things to do in NYC?  (Read 616 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »

Well, tomorrow I’m being flown to NYC on business for a little over a week.  My family could never afford to travel growing up and I’ve only been out of Vermont a few times in my life so this is a rather big deal.  I’ve also never been on a plane.

What I know is that I will be staying (free) in a vacant apartment on the Greenwich Village Waterfront, which I’ve been told my current condo could fit inside of quite comfortably.  I know very little about NYC on the whole.

So…

What do I need to see while I’m there?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:30:45 PM »

Get a pair of quality walking/hiking shoes, some even better insoles, and buy a 7-day subway pass the first thing when you get there. You'll ride the train north/south the whole time and walk east-west. You've heard stories of how packed it is with people but those will do little once you arrive. Expect for your bain to be blown for the first 20 minutes you're there. After that, breathe, then focus on what you want to do.

Central Park is very neat. Greenwich was fun to walk around in. Times Square is great to see as the landmark that it is but here's something to keep in mind - don't eat there. Anywhere else in New York has the exact same food for a hell of a lot less.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »

Since you are asking this question at a gaming site, I assume that you are a gamer.  Therefore, I recommend that you visit the Nintendo store at Rockefellar Center.  It's two stories, and has several Wiis to play.  They also have Nintendo branded accessories, clothes and toys.  They sell the Hori DS screen protectors.  I got my daughter a pink Princesss Peach t-shir and she loves it.  Gamewise, everything is sold at MSRP, but it's still a worthwhile visit.  Aside from that, there is nothing special gamerwise in NYC.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:15:37 PM »

I would try to check out the Museum of Modern Art when you have time.  There's a cool Dali exhibit going on right now, and also it's just nice to be able to say you were a few inches away from stuff like Starry Night.  (Doh, looks like Starry Night is out for a while, but there's lot of other great ones there too.)

When I went last, it was mainly to stuff my face and eat as much as possible smile  I definitely recommend finding yourself a Beard Papa and if you're into Asian food at all, Momofuku is a can't-miss.  

There will be no shortage of things to do.  Just open up Google Maps, center on where you're staying, and use either the points of interest map or hit the wikipedia option to show notable things around you.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:06:02 PM »

If you have the money to burn, go see a Broadway show. Or three. I highly recommend seeing Phantom of the Opera. It'll blow your mind.

And I second getting a good pair of shoes beforehand. You will be walking all over the place. Don't rent a car, whatever you do. The drivers there WILL kill you if you don't know where you're going.

And about the plane thing - since you've never been on a plane trip before, all I have to recommend is this: Make sure you get to the airport AT LEAST an hour beforehand. You might have a good day when it comes to waiting at 'security' and get through in 15 minutes, or it'll take 45 to do the same thing. Until you know your airport, you'll have no idea just how close you can cut the time down.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:07:40 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 02:23:35 AM »

Regarding the show, I'd say Avenue Q. Went to see it in May and it's hilarious. Here's the trick - go to the theater at 10 a.m. and buy tickets then. You can do it via the concierge but they'll charge a mark-up fee and that ain't cheap. That will put you in Times Square during the day when it's not anywhere near as insane with people, so if you honestly want to look around and actually see some things there that would be the time to do so. Then when you go back that night you see it all decked out along with the swarms of people, which will complete the tourist trap. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: