http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 06:02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that sound too good to be true...  (Read 1882 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2005, 09:45:58 PM »

I always see "work from home and make $$$" and it always seems to be too good to be true. Has anyone around here had any experience with any of it? Is any of it actually legit? Also, what about that crazy guy with the money signs on his shirt(the who says you can get $$$ from the government for rent etc). Is that at all legit? I would think not, but...So spill the beans on this for me. Later.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 09:57:36 PM »

Most of these are Multi-Level Marketing (also known as MLM)schemes, if not outright Pyramid/Ponzi schemes.  YMMV, of course.

Pyramid scheme wiki

MLM wiki

Ponzi wiki

Even in the best case, the odds are it will end up costing you more money than you will ever make.  If they ask you for *any* money up front dial your bullshit detector to it's highest level and make sure you don't get taken.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 10:28:58 PM »

That`s what I thought for the most part. Does anyone have any ideas of legit methods of working from home? Just curious.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:56:16 PM »

The only ones I've heard of that work are editing positions, 'psychic hotline' type positions, and medical transcriptionist type positions.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:58:22 PM »

I've always been interested in this sort of thing. Besides the obvious advantages of not having to go somewhere to work it always seems that if you have enough discipline you could get more work done.

Graphic or web design would probably be one avenue to look at if you have any kind of artistic talent.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:39:06 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
The only ones I've heard of that work are... and medical transcriptionist type positions.

My Mom was a "housewife" until just about 5 years ago.  She's now a medical transcriptionist, though she works at an establishment opposed to working from home.  There are a lot of tele-commuters that do medical transcription work from their home, and while she can pursue this, she enjoys "going to work" at the moment.

That being said, it took her about two years of intense studying of books and books and books of medical terms and so forth.  And she still comes across words that she has some clue as to what they mean but she hasn't ever seen before due to the technological advancements of medicine and how new things are practically created everyday.  So definately medical transcription falls into a full-time type of job, not just something you can leisurely do to make some moolah.

Oh, and I think you're talking about Matthew Lesko Harpua3.  That guy is INSANE!  I have no clue if that his "book" works or not, though judging by the size of it (it's absolutely huge), I would say he just stuffed a bunch of little "governmental money makers" and called it good.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 11:58:29 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Oh, and I think you're talking about Matthew Lesko Harpua3.  That guy is INSANE!  I have no clue if that his "book" works or not, though judging by the size of it (it's absolutely huge), I would say he just stuffed a bunch of little "governmental money makers" and called it good.

No joke.  I read an interview with that guy some time ago and he was certainly off his rocker.  I believe he got the suit because he needed an angle to get people to notice him.  The funny thing was that every third word or so he would swear.  As for the book, he claimed it was all there, people just didn't want to or didn't know how to do the legwork.  I doubt it was that easy to get the money, and with the book I am sure there's plenty of competition.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »

Everytime I see Matthew Lesko on tv and he's wearing the coat with dollar signs on it it reminds me of The Riddler. The man makes me laugh with that coat.  :lol:
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 09:44:46 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
That`s what I thought for the most part. Does anyone have any ideas of legit methods of working from home? Just curious.

A friend of mine used to work in scheduling at our company, then after a few years he got chummy with one of the reps for the company that sold the software we used.  Then one day he quit his job and started doing help desk work for the scheduling company from home.  Got a nice dedicated line into his place, a nice new computer, etc.  Sweet deal.

For the most part I think finding a good job and being able to telecommute is simply a luck of the draw thing... at least for the REALLY choice jobs.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 09:59:51 PM »

Who could miss Lesko? Seems like he's been around forever looking like the riddler/joker.

I used to try this stuff from "bad credit repair" to "government grants" none of it, at least from my own experience, is what you want or thought it would be.
A while back I clicked on a "get money for free from the the government" or whatever it was ad, it all sounded too good to be true but I figured hey why not? (I Needed money anyway)
I of course, lost that money I put into it. All I got was a list of places that deal with grants. I wrote about 30 of them and every one of them turned down my request for free money.

What a waste. These people seem to give you lists to other places, who you write.
I'm still curious about Lesko as he's been around so many years doing those commercials. If it wasn't legit surely the BBB would have put him out of business a long time ago, or he'd have been sued for false advertisement. That "money back guarentee" always sounds tempting, but it seems like everyone offers that. Once you add in the shipping charge and any kind of "restocking" fee I'm sure you don't really get much back at all.

Still.. has anyone here tried Lesko's program?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 11:32:30 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

Lol, the joker/riddler. Thanks guys, lots of interesting ideas/comments so far. I really do want to know if anyone has used his program though. Anyone else care to comment?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 09:20:52 PM »

Lol, the joker/riddler. Thanks guys, lots of interesting ideas/comments so far. I really do want to know if anyone has used his program though. Anyone else care to comment?

I was thinking that it would be a good thing to look for his book at the library,  if you can find it...

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. I may just do that...
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 08:40:10 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 05:08:01 AM »

I would just like to let everyone know that I've made a sizeable amount of money running my own business thanks to Matthew Lesko and those like him.
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 02:39:39 PM »

Slightly off-topic, but I found a quarter on the sidewalk on my way to work this morning...and thus my personal fortune increaseth!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 03:26:18 PM »

Quote from: "VynlSol"
Slightly off-topic, but I found a quarter on the sidewalk on my way to work this morning...and thus my personal fortune increaseth!!

That's nothing.  I just kissed Brad Pitt and won a $500 shopping spree.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2005, 06:38:09 PM »

One at home job I read about just yesterday was taking reservations for JetBlue Airlines. They mentioned that most of their reservation people work from home.

Way cool....

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 08:09:22 PM »

Quote from: "Shkspr"
I would just like to let everyone know that I've made a sizeable amount of money running my own business thanks to Matthew Lesko and those like him.

Is this true? I`m still doubting this to say the least :wink: . Care to explain further?
 And that jetblue idea is a good idea.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2005, 07:36:48 AM »

I was thinking the same thing. I may just do that...

If you find it, please post... while not my cup of tea, I'm curious as to whether it is all BS or not.

Here's the epinions page on the book:

Epinions

The book is helpful, don't get me wrong. But for the price of the book go and check it out at the library. Better yet every program in his book is available online, with criteria to be met, and the applications to go with them. Simply go to http://www.cfda.gov and find the program you are interested in.

The site mentioned is called Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance. It is a wonderful search engine within itself. You can find information by criteria, interest, program, or look through the entire catalog at all programs.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2005, 02:18:59 PM »

License childcare has worked well for my Wife and I. She's been in business for 12 years now.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2005, 06:11:11 PM »

Quote from: "Pyperkub"

I was thinking that it would be a good thing to look for his book at the library,  if you can find it...

I think I will do that today, ive got nothing else to do. That way i dont lose any money, and perhaps I can get some free money. Probably not though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: