http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:26:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There oughta be a test  (Read 1389 times)
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2004, 06:57:11 AM »

If you pass the test where you can *safely* operate a motor vehicle while at the same time you're talking on a cell phone, you get the license to do both.  If not, you have to give up one or the other.

No more of these pansy schmansy laws that simply outlaw driving and talking on a cell at the same time; no you're required to forfeit your driver's license or you give up the cell phone.

Seems easy enough.

Sorry, just a little post-XMAS day grumbling RE: all the idiots on the street today.   Damn they were out in force!

I had one...
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 07:12:26 AM »

What do you need to use a phone for while driving in the first place?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 12:48:35 PM »

Here's another one: Parenting Licenses.  If you want to have children, you have to pass a test, including a realistic hands-on internship in raising kids.  You are observed continually by an independent panel of judges who determine your fitness to have kids before you bring the little buggers into the world, screw them up, and create a drain on society.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 01:18:55 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Here's another one: Parenting Licenses.  If you want to have children, you have to pass a test, including a realistic hands-on internship in raising kids.  You are observed continually by an independent panel of judges who determine your fitness to have kids before you bring the little buggers into the world, screw them up, and create a drain on society.

With a realistic limit to the number of kids you can both support and care for!  It seems that often the least parentally and economically equipped people have the most children, and that is a shame.  I always feel bad for those kids.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 02:24:17 PM »

The other day I was driving past the mall and saw a car driving erratically.  I pulled up alongside and saw a woman attempting to drive, smoke and talk on the cell phone all at once.  I stayed far away after that.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 03:58:06 PM »

I agree completely with both (especially the law on car phones) and will add a third. After a certain age (60+), you need to be retested to keep your drivers license. If people bitch about age discrimination, they can just make it mandatory vision/reaction testing every 10 years for everyone. That should make the streets a little safer.  :wink:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 04:53:35 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

With a realistic limit to the number of kids you can both support and care for!  It seems that often the least parentally and economically equipped people have the most children, and that is a shame.  I always feel bad for those kids.

After seeing how many people come into my pharmacy with state paid for insurance, most of the time with 4+ kids, I just want to stop paying my taxes. It's terrible to say, EngineNo9, but your statement is completely true - the people with the money and the ability to raise great kids never have them.

Yet all the losers have half a dozen.

Why is that?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 05:34:10 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "EngineNo9"

After seeing how many people come into my pharmacy with state paid for insurance, most of the time with 4+ kids, I just want to stop paying my taxes. It's terrible to say, EngineNo9, but your statement is completely true - the people with the money and the ability to raise great kids never have them.

Why is that?

The really sad thing is the long term effect this has on the population. The act of reproduction is what drives the evolution of the species-the more offspring you have, the more your selection from the genepool is represented. And when you look around, it's not the gifted and intelligent people that are pumping out kids like pez dispensers.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 05:43:55 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Why is that?

Because condoms cost money and sex is free!
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 07:24:20 PM »

On a global scale the large family/rampant poverty ratio is even worse. A lot of it has to do with religion, specifically Catholicism (before anyone lights a flamethrower, I'm Catholic). Many of the poorest regions of the world are predominantly Catholic (the two facts have next to nothing to do with each other, aside from which areas were colonized by majority-Catholic Empires like the Spanish, which collapsed in a very bad way). The bans on birth control which the Church promotes are often made law in many of these countries, cutting off any access to simple means of family planning, producing a tragic situation of large families growing larger as the economy continues to drift of slide, creating an almost inescapable poverty cycle.

In the United States, there appears to be a correlation of education/prosperity to family size that has no basis in religion. Condoms aren't exactly cheap (about $1 a pop or so, right?), but they're hardly so expensive to be out of reach. So I would really like to see a study on why these birthrate trends might be the way they are.

It does scare me that the people I respect the most amongst my peers are the very ones who either don't want children, only want to have one child, can't have children or are gay. But then, I'm not going to have kids, so I guess I'm not helping the situation, either.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 07:38:45 PM »

First of all, I find the notion of denying people the right to have children offensive.  Secondly, being wealthy does not make you a good parent.  Neither being impoverished nor being uneducated makes you a bad parent.  There are plenty of wealthy and highly educated people who are shit for parents.

Fertility rates tend to be high where child mortality rates are high.  They are also higher in agrarian, rural, impoverished communities, where children are needed to work the family farm for sustenance.  As developing countries becomes more urbanized, fewer people have children, since raising a child in the city is more expensive than in a rural area.  

Family planning is certainly an unmet need in a lot of developing countries.  However, there is debate between the "contraceptive is the best contraceptive" and "economic development is the best contraceptive" communities, with studies showing that both may be true, under different circumstances.  Either way, it is important to consider desired fertility rates and the same time that you consider total fertility rates.  

However, history has shown time and time again that as societies reduce infant mortality rates, fertility rates decline.  The lag period in between the reduction in mortality rates and fertility rates is called the demographic transition, and is associated with a large baby boom, followed by a period of economic development known as the "demographic dividend."  I highly suggest that you read this article (.pdf) if you're interested.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: