http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:27:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There is a special circle in hell meant for cars salesmen (rant)  (Read 3273 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:33:45 AM »

I know that there are some Chicago-area people here, so I want to get the word out.  If anyone in this area, or someone you know from this area, is looking at getting a new car, be aware of my situation:

I arrived at the dealership at around 4:35 PM.  I asked for Ismael as that was who my wife talked to.  Once they found him I went outside with him to look at the Edge vehicles they had.  Eventually we found the one we had been looking for (and the one that they had told Fox Valley they didn't have, so they are already admitted liars), so I talked to my wife on my cell while Ismael went for the keys.  Ismael started getting the paperwork and once he brought it I started to fill it out for both my wife and me.

Since her father (and grandfather) worked for Ford, we were supposed to get the "A" Plan price for family of employees.  There was no haggling that was supposed to be involved.  We were also supposed to get the Cash for Clunkers deal.  We had arranged this with another dealership, but they couldn't get the vehicle we were looking for.  That's why we went to this dealership because they said they had some of the Ford Edge vehicles in stock.

At around 5:30 PM I got the A Plan PIN number texted to me from my wife.  I told Ismael the A Plan pin.  At that point I felt that something changed with him.  He did some other things while I sat at the desk and waited for my wife.  He did mention something about a protection plan for the car, but my wife called when he mentioned it and it wasn't discussed further.  Between filling out the paperwork and my wife arriving, another sales associate asked for the keys to the car I had looked at.  He said that another couple wanted to look at it.  Now, it could be that there were other people interested in that Edge I had picked out, but I really have my doubts now, because it seems too contrived.  I think that they said that so that they could get the quick sale in.

My wife arrived a little after 7:00 PM.  We waited a little bit and Ismael came with the paperwork.  We looked like we were all set for the sale.  Then Ismael pushed that since we wanted the "A" Plan price and the Cash for Clunkers rebate, that they wanted us to help offset the cost of the car and to purchase an extra protection plan.  We told him that was never brought up and never part of the deal.  We asked for a manager.  Another sales associate came over and tried to explain how the Cash for Clunkers program cost them money and that they didn't have to give us the "A" Plan price, but they would do it if we helped offset the price with an extra protection program, one that did the undercoat and would have had oil changes included I am guessing.  I could tell my wife was starting to get frustrated and she said that if she wanted to haggle, she wouldn't have come out to the dealership and gone through all this.  I told him that I was sick and tired of being "dicked" around, especially when we had another dealership contact them about that particular Edge and they told them that it has already been sold.  I yelled out a few choice words that I NEVER say, so to say I was pissed was an understatement.  We walked out right then and there.

We went to our cars and I was ready to head home.  I saw that my wife's car window was rolled down, and she told me to get the business card of the manager and her father would send a notice.  I went in and grabbed Ismael's card, and then I went towards the front desk on a mission.  I tried to stay calm, but I failed.  I asked for the manager's business card.  One of the sales associates asked me which manager.  I yelled, "The one that wouldn't sell me a car!"  The manager stood up and said that he was the one who owned this location and he told me he would discuss this with me in his office.  I yelled that I just wanted to get his business card.  During that time I got his name off his name badge so that I could get it written down incase I didn't get it.  I yelled that I didn't want to go to his office that I wanted his business card.  He yelled at me that he would yell louder than me if we wanted to get into a shouting match, and he would also call the cops and have me arrested if I didn't stop it.  (Not exactly a way to win over customers.)  I saw him and he walked towards his office.  I honestly thought he was going to ignore me, so I headed out the front door and headed out to my wife's car and mentioned his name with a close spelling.  He came out and I kept my cool, and he said that a wrong had been done.  My wife mentioned how much time we had put into this (I was at the dealership for almost four hours, and she took extra time to get the car ready and get all of the paperwork so we could get the car traded in which was over two extra hours, plus driving time and time at the dealership), and he asked what they could do to make us happy.  I mentioned about how they lied to Fox Valley that their dealership had sold the car, and he said that was because they didn't want Fox Valley to have the sale.  (And yet they still lost our sale.)  He said that they didn't have to follow the "A" Plan pricing because they were low on inventory.  He also mentioned that he had just purchased the dealership as well, so he didn't know all of the employees and didn't have them all trained.  My wife would have none of it, mentioned how she got mistreated by the last dealership that lost her SUV that she hadn't made any payment on and how they wouldn't give her any compensation.  He acted surprised.  She said that she isn't going to deal with Chicago car dealerships anymore, especially if this is how they treat someone whose father and grandfather worked for Ford.

Here is the dealership:

Mike Sabzali
General Manager

Bob Rohrman Schaumburg Ford
815 East Golf Road
Schaumburg, IL  60173
phone: 1-847-605-0800
fax: 1.847-605-0979

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:53 AM »

While I understand the frustration and even the all out anger at the car dealership, there are better ways to handle it.

I've always found it more effective to nonchalantly tell them that since they don't seem to want to sell me a car, I'll just go buy one somewhere else. Then get up and walk out. They'll either rush out and try to stop you or they'll call. The offers they make while you're trying to leave are always half-assed and still not what you want, so go ahead and go home. They'll call. They've got a customer that has money and is willing to buy. That's a somewhat rare thing right now. Let them stew. When they call, tell them you found a better offer at another dealership, possibly even on a completely different car, from another manufacturer even. Anything at all to make them try harder to get your money.

The harder you make them work the less money you'll spend.

It's also best to make a bit of a disclaimer the minute you start talking to someone at the dealership. The last time I went in I told them flat out that if they got up and left to go talk to a manager, I would leave. If I wasn't there when they called about financing or "worked up numbers" I would leave. Period. If I don't see numbers on paper, with the final agreed upon price on the bottom line, I leave.

You did the leaving part, and I get not wanting to do business with the dealership anymore, but the odds of you finding a better dealership with exactly what you want right now are pretty slim. Best of luck to you though man. Hope you find the car you're looking for at a better price somewhere else.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on August 04, 2009, 11:53:53 AM

They've got a customer that has money and is willing to buy. That's a somewhat rare thing right now.

Except that the "cash for clunkers" program is in effect right now; it's causing prices (and dealerships' arrogance) to climb.  Additionally, because the manufacturers have been scaling back production, there are fewer cars available to actually sell.  So the dealers can piss off potential buyers who want to haggle; at the moment they have plenty of people who will gladly take whatever they offer.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »

Laner, you know Cash for Clunkers has been suspended, right?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »

Good for you!  Yell your bleedin head off!  You already were not going to buy from the crooks so burning that bridge was just to make you feel better. 

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »

I've never not been dicked around buying a car.  The last time the shit didn't start until financing.  Up till then, we thought we were having a miraculous car buying experience.  Then the finance manager dragged out a 7.5% interest rate (at the time 4% was normal) and when questioned about it said we had a bad credit rating.  I had just seen my credit report that morning. It was stellar.  I flat out called her a liar and told her she could tell me one more number and if I didn't like it, I walked. She pretended to "call in some favors" and dropped the rate to 4.5%.

Ethics don't mean anything to these people.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:27:30 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on August 04, 2009, 11:53:53 AM

While I understand the frustration and even the all out anger at the car dealership, there are better ways to handle it.

I agree that I mishandled that situation, but after trying to get a vehicle for a week and being there for over three and a half hours and being lied to, I think that I have some leeway.  The manager also escalated the situation.

I've always found it more effective to nonchalantly tell them that since they don't seem to want to sell me a car, I'll just go buy one somewhere else. Then get up and walk out. They'll either rush out and try to stop you or they'll call. The offers they make while you're trying to leave are always half-assed and still not what you want, so go ahead and go home. They'll call. They've got a customer that has money and is willing to buy. That's a somewhat rare thing right now. Let them stew. When they call, tell them you found a better offer at another dealership, possibly even on a completely different car, from another manufacturer even. Anything at all to make them try harder to get your money.

They won't call, and Ford will be getting a complaint from them.  I wish that there were more web sites that you could post reviewer ratings.

The harder you make them work the less money you'll spend.

The thing is, they shouldn't have tried to do what I almost feel like a bait and switch.  They had us ready to spend the money, but then to put a stipulation on the sale without being up front about it until we had spent all this time there is poor customer service.

It's also best to make a bit of a disclaimer the minute you start talking to someone at the dealership. The last time I went in I told them flat out that if they got up and left to go talk to a manager, I would leave. If I wasn't there when they called about financing or "worked up numbers" I would leave. Period. If I don't see numbers on paper, with the final agreed upon price on the bottom line, I leave.

My wife called before I got there to make sure that they had inventory in stock and to let them know we would get "A" Plan pricing.  They knew the stipulations before I got there.

You did the leaving part, and I get not wanting to do business with the dealership anymore, but the odds of you finding a better dealership with exactly what you want right now are pretty slim. Best of luck to you though man. Hope you find the car you're looking for at a better price somewhere else.

We are flexible on color and certain options, so I don't think it's an issue to find what we want. 

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 04, 2009, 01:23:06 PM

Good for you!  Yell your bleedin head off!  You already were not going to buy from the crooks so burning that bridge was just to make you feel better. 
When the manager escalated the situation, I backed down and it showed how much of a jerk he was.  Even listening to some of the other desks with other people trying to make deals while I was there, the salesmen seemed a bit slimy.  I doubt that the manager would have given me the attention I got had I not yelled though.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »

We walked out right then and there.
That's how you win at car dealerships.  Keep in mind that you can walk at any time.  You don't *have* to have a car today...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »

Yeah, most of their tactics are designed to keep you there as long as possible.  The more time you spend at the dealership, the more you've invested, the more tired and cranky you get, and you're more likely to agree to something that sweetens the deal for them just to get things over with and get your new car. 

I try to be reasonable and polite, but the moment I sense they're trying to take advantage of me somehow, I just walk away.  Any sort of delaying tactic, any changes in the information they're giving me, any "I'll have to run that by my sales manager" crap, and I walk.  Losing your temper is just going to make them more adversarial, though.  Save that for when you're well and truly done with that dealership. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »

Man, my car buying experience was heavenly compared to some of these stories.

BMW FTW!

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 04, 2009, 03:05:08 PM

Man, my car buying experience was heavenly compared to some of these stories.

BMW FTW!

Same with me at a Honda dealership I bought my first new car at a year or so ago.  The people were nice and actually helped me out with the financing to get things exactly the way I wanted it.

Also just wanted to comment that people that freak out and throw fits in stores are a big pet peeve of mine.  There's nothing anyone can do to you at a store, short of some criminal act, that should make you behave that way.  Simply walk out.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »

My last frustration was with my credit union trying to tell me I had negotiated a bad deal, trying to steer me to a different dealer, and then offering me financing 1% over what the dealer did.  This was for a used car.

For the dealer, I negotiated on drive-off costs, no TT&L BS tack-ons, etc.  The price we agree on is the price that will be paid, not a cent more.  I did get a good dealer though, as we went through a relative of my then-GF at the time.  Really nice down-home guy.  Obviously, if you have an inside employee-pricing deal, that doesn't apply.

If my dealer said they didn't have to give me the "A" Plan price (which I will never qualify for) or something similar, my immediate response would be that they didn't have to get a sale today. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:34:39 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 04, 2009, 02:56:16 PM

We walked out right then and there.
That's how you win at car dealerships.  Keep in mind that you can walk at any time.  You don't *have* to have a car today...
My mom has inadvertently been my best sales tool when we got my cars in 1989 and 1996. She doesn't put up with crap, and will simply walk out the door if the salesman start pitching or going back on a price promise, or finagling. I'm a "too nice" putz myself.

Both times, the salesman was sweating like mad, practically having a nervous breakdown, when I (and my brother in 1989) coaxed her back to sign the final papers. She would do this over $300 or $500 differences in prices, if they wouldn't match what a different dealer had promised. If I could bottle her car buying attitude, I'd make a mint.  icon_razz She's 74 now though and I don't want to put her through that again, so if I ever replace my '96 Corolla, I'll have to fight the battle alone (and pay it fully myself).  paranoid

I once had a Honda dealer trick me into giving my contact info on a clipboard, and a desperate car sales woman proceded to leave messages on my answering machine about every other day for two weeks. Never again!  icon_razz

I think sometimes it's good to have a non-family member friend along who will kick you, or give you a signal, when he/she senses you're about to get suckered into something bad. I once tagged along with my best friend about 20 years ago, and when a car salesman was trying to push him to Buy Today, I gently kicked my buddy under the table. I remember his eyes sort of got really wide (like, "What the hell was THAT FOR?") and then he remembered why I was there.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:36:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »

I listened to a local radio show discuss the cash for clumkers deal and car sales in general yesterday. A guy from a dealership called in to say the government was honoring all cash for clunkers sales thru today. It also was surprising how many people who's cars did not qualify for the cash for clumkers deal ended up buying cars anyway.

Our last car purchase was at a Nissan dealer. It went very smooth. We have good credit and I already knew what I could get from a bank or credit union so there was no surprises there.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 04, 2009, 03:21:07 PM

Same with me at a Honda dealership I bought my first new car at a year or so ago.  The people were nice and actually helped me out with the financing to get things exactly the way I wanted it.

It's surprising (or maybe not) how different it can be from dealer to dealer.  When we bought our Honda Odyssey a few years ago, the first dealership we went to was terrible.  They wouldn't honor the prices they quoted over the phone, they insisted they only had models with tons of 'options' that jacked up the price, so we left.  We called another dealer and they quoted us the lowest price yet.  We were skeptical, but went over and met with the same guy we spoke with on the phone.  He just said "I told you $X, right?  Still interested?"  The whole process took about 15 minutes and we were done. 

My Negotiations professor from several years back had a very effective car-buying approach, which was that she basically refused to negotiate.  She decided on a car, decided how much she was willing to pay, secured her own separate loan if necessary, and wrote out a check for the amount.  She walked into the dealership, laid down the check, and said "take it or leave it."  If I remember right, they always took it.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »

send this to the consumerist.  nothing like a huge goose egg of bad PR to get attention these days.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 04:52:30 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 04, 2009, 01:14:37 PM

They're trying to get it restarted...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/08/04/2009-08-04_bam_seeks_refill_for_clunkers.html
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 04:54:08 PM »

Sorry to hear about this.  I bought a new Honda in April and it was the most pleasant purchase experience possible.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 05:18:34 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 04, 2009, 04:32:59 PM

send this to the consumerist.  nothing like a huge goose egg of bad PR to get attention these days.

Thanks for letting me know.  I posted it at two other sites, one of them being Edmunds.com, but there aren't many web sites that have reviews of car dealerships.

Someone suggest that I contact the local TV stations, but this is Chicago and I doubt that they'd be surprised at this behavior.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:26:17 PM by Graham » Logged

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »

Quote from: Laner on August 04, 2009, 04:52:30 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/08/04/2009-08-04_bam_seeks_refill_for_clunkers.html

Oh I know.  I doubt the Senate will let it get restarted, but that's for another thread.

My point still stands.  It's currently suspended.  Tongue

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 05:26:27 PM »

When we bought a truck back in 02 I thought the salesman was going to die. He made the mistake of telling my wife that they payments she wanted to pay weren't possible for the price range we were looking at. She said "Yes they are". He, in a moment of smug arrogance placed a calculator on the desk and said "Check it on a calculator." Amazingly, she did not kill him right then and there. She just replied "I already have, maybe you should calculate it, because you obviously don't know".

Needless to say, we ended up with the payment that she said we were going to pay, and we ended up with the truck with more options than what we had planned.

The three vehicles I have bought from a dealer have all been a pain in the ass. The Mini Cooper was the least pain though as we picked out exactly what we wanted online and just had to finalize it at the dealer. Of course they still tried to up-sell the hell out of it.

LiveTAG: happydog
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »

Walking works, I do it everytime.  Except for when we bought our VUE from Saturn.  Good folk there with minimal haggling to get a good deal.  I opted to pay a little more on sticker to get 0% financing.  Everyone was happy.  Now the last time at the Nissan dealership was a disaster.  Negotiaited everyting online for a sweet deal only to see them add a $750 dealer fee. Could not give me a honest answer on what these fees coverd, heard everyhting from car cleaning/prep to delivery fees (both are seperate line items with charges already) Walked.  Agreed to come back the next day but the car I wanted was gone, they only had one with 250 + miles on it.  They could not tell me where the miles came from (wouldn't admit it ws from hot rodding demo drives).  Walked.  Day later saleseman and the owner call multiple times in a 4 hour span.  I told him your salesman lied to me multiple times, that I know how they work, that you can't give me a great deal on the front end and just try and rip me off on the back.  He offered me the orginal car I wanted at the online price with zero dealer fees and 4 free oil changes.  Too late the wife drove a Jetta and loved it.  Of course we were at the Vw dealership when these calls were coming in, I only excused myself one time during the process so the Salesman saw  I was a hard ass smile  First offer from them was actually lower than my buy price, dealer fee was resonable $200 if still bullshit, I got 4 free car  washes and wax jobs because I didn't really want black because of the up keep.  So I had to do zero haggling and no walking.  Win for me smile

morlac00 on PSN
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »

It's partly the luck of the draw -- whether the salesman you get is any good, and whether s/he's having a good day or a bad day. And it's partly your own attitude -- if you go in hostile and combative, they're going to reflect that back at you. I'm sure some of it is the culture at the dealership, too. I approach the transaction as a mutual effort by two adversaries trying to reach the optimum price -- a game, really. 

Our easiest car-buying experience was a Saturn in 1994. Their no-haggle policy meant that the only horse-trading was on our trade-in value. Worst was my 2004 Mazda. I wanted a very specific limited-edition car that wasn't even built yet, so I had no leverage whatsoever. This was during a booming economy. I think they threw in floor mats just because they felt sorry for me being such a chump.

Oh well, five years later it's paid off, has low mileage, and I'll be driving it for years to come.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 05:54:29 PM »

It really depends on the dealer, not the brand of the cars. I helped my brother buy his last car, and we went to a Honda dealership to look at Civics. They were the highest pressure, biggest dicks that we encountered. I told the salesman straight up that both my brother and I work with the auto industry, and that I used to specifically deal with customer complaints about dealers, so I didn't want a sales pitch, just some info. He still pulled all the old tricks and put the high pressure sell on, so we left.

I wish the car companies would all go no-haggle, but I doubt it'll change in my lifetime.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:49 PM »

This thread is the reason that I will likely go to CarMax after doing research.  I won't buy brand new at any time in the foreseeable future, so a dealwe willing to stand behind their cars for 30 days. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 04, 2009, 06:22:49 PM

This thread is the reason that I will likely go to CarMax after doing research.  I won't buy brand new at any time in the foreseeable future, so a dealwe willing to stand behind their cars for 30 days. 

That's where I got my car. No hassles or anything. I was approved for my loan and everything was fine. About the only bad thing was I forgot my checkbook, and they didn't accept debit cards, so I had to run to the bank and get cash out for my down deposit.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 07:53:05 PM »

Good lord, was my previous post disjointed...   retard

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on August 04, 2009, 05:54:29 PM

It really depends on the dealer, not the brand of the cars. I helped my brother buy his last car, and we went to a Honda dealership to look at Civics. They were the highest pressure, biggest dicks that we encountered. I told the salesman straight up that both my brother and I work with the auto industry, and that I used to specifically deal with customer complaints about dealers, so I didn't want a sales pitch, just some info. He still pulled all the old tricks and put the high pressure sell on, so we left.

I wish the car companies would all go no-haggle, but I doubt it'll change in my lifetime.

How many people have you talked to who consider haggling with a car dealer to be part of the process. I know people who think they are always the one who comes out ahead and they want the power to haggle.

Me, I would be happy if it was like a regular store where they gave you a price, the real price, and then you either made the deal or not.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »

++

I've bought my last two cars at CarMax, and have nothing but positive things to say about them.  I'd recommend getting your loan elsewhere first, then just go in with a check.  You'll be in and out in no time.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 04, 2009, 05:46:19 PM

Our easiest car-buying experience was a Saturn in 1994.

Same here.  I went to Saturn in 1997 specifically because of their no-haggle policy, and still consider that one of the best buying experiences I've ever had.  They were helpful, friendly, no pressure, and generally very pleasant.

Doesn't hurt that I've had the car for 12 years now and nearly 150,000 miles it still runs like a champ.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on August 04, 2009, 03:52:56 PM

My Negotiations professor from several years back had a very effective car-buying approach, which was that she basically refused to negotiate.  She decided on a car, decided how much she was willing to pay, secured her own separate loan if necessary, and wrote out a check for the amount.  She walked into the dealership, laid down the check, and said "take it or leave it."  If I remember right, they always took it.

This is how my grandfather bought cars. It did indeed always work.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 02:30:16 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on August 04, 2009, 08:26:27 PM

Quote from: cheeba on August 04, 2009, 05:54:29 PM

How many people have you talked to who consider haggling with a car dealer to be part of the process. I know people who think they are always the one who comes out ahead and they want the power to haggle.

Me, I would be happy if it was like a regular store where they gave you a price, the real price, and then you either made the deal or not.

I worked as a retail buyer for 10 years and I buy for my own business now. I'm comfortable arguing with salesmen. Just remember that both sides want to get to Yes, and the party with the money has the high ground. A good deal is one that leaves both parties satisfied.

But I agree that's it's way more work and aggravation than it ought to be. You need to do some legwork before you sit at the table.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 02:49:49 AM »

This thread is the reason that I will likely go to CarMax after doing research.  I won't buy brand new at any time in the foreseeable future, so a dealwe willing to stand behind their cars for 30 days.  

Yes but you will pay a premium on the average for that convenience. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes it's little to nothing. For example I am interested in a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 wagon, there is one in town 93k mileage manual transmission etc. for 5300 bucks, an extremely similar one at CarMax with 117k mileage 9000. It just doesn't add up. Some people really like to negotiate, some do not. I had a friend who bought a 2002 Maxima from them that if he had bought it from the dealership my dad worked at he would've saved almost 4500.

I truly believe that this is a very dealer to dealer experience and even in each dealership it is different. My father won customer loyalty by not being difficult to deal with and by being up front. He'd tell you straight up when he couldn't do more for the people. Unfortunately the Sales Managers were pricks for the most part, and there were several crappy salesmen as well. He was the kind of guy that would never do anything to steal a sale, even if from another dealership. He's even thrown customers off the lot for pulling stuff like that. It's a shame that other salespeople can't act like that. Part of why he left car sales after 25 years of top sales was because of the shitty attitudes and shitty practices.

I know I will never buy a car without his help as long as I can. Something nice about being able to walk in to a dealership and knowing what everything should cost. We got 3000 off the top of our 2007 Altima with no questions asked, Dad said if I wanted to be a dick I could've gotten another grand, but he got me an extra 750 on the trade in over Carmax, so it's all about what you're willing to work for. Lastly, I believe in the walk in with a check and walk out with a car method, the majority of dealers just want to get rid of the inventory.

Oh here's more on the clunkers thing:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clunkers-rebates-look-likely-apf-1230834201.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:25:41 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »

We issue license plates in my office and in this state the fees are based on the factory cost, or how much the dealer paid the factory for the vehicle - so the dealer has to certify their factory cost as part of the titling process.

It's amusing how many people come in and think they got a great deal on a car when they paid 10-15% over the factory cost.  And most of the time, when dealers sell a vehicle for their 'invoice' cost, there's a significant difference between 'invoice' and actual factory cost.

The games we play.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 04, 2009, 05:19:33 PM

Quote from: Laner on August 04, 2009, 04:52:30 PM

Oh I know.  I doubt the Senate will let it get restarted, but that's for another thread.

My point still stands.  It's currently suspended.  Tongue

When running out of money after only a few days the solution is never to question the program, but instead give it more money.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: