http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:11:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The world is over. I broke my Directv/Tivo remote.  (Read 1733 times)
Greggy_D
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2004, 02:17:57 AM »

You don't know what hell is until you are without your Directv/Tivo remote.

Scenario:

Sitting in my big poofy chair, drinking a marvelous Merlot.  I set the wine glass on the table to my left.  After perusing the 20 episodes of Blind Date/Elimidate that I have not yet watched, I sit the remote on the elevated arm of the poofy chair......next to the table with the marvelous Merlot.

Phone rings......

I get up to answer the phone and the remote takes a Greg Louganis into the deep end of the glass, half sticking out as if it was a silver fish bobber on steroids. Where was this skill when I tried to throw the ping pong ball into the goldfish bowl at the church festival?

Utter and sheer terror overcome me..........I know what the outcome is to be.  The remote is DOA.

No channel changing, no surfing the "Now Playing" list, no skipping ANYTHING.  Sunday Ticket is less than 72 hours away.  My life is over.........
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 02:31:55 AM »

This is my TIVO remote.

There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

My TIVO remote is my best friend. It is my life.

I must master it as I must master my life.

My TIVO remote  without me is useless. Without my TIVO remote, I am useless.

I must aim my TIVo remote true.

I must change channels before my wife who is trying to watch stupid crap.

I must change channels before my wife does. I will...

My TIVO remote and myself know that what counts in television is not the channels we change,

the pause, nor the rewind we make.

We know it is the recordings that count. We will record...

My TIVO remote is human, even as I, because it is my life.

Thus, I will learn it as a brother.

I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its buttons, and its ergonimicaly correct grip.

I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage.

I will keep my TIVO remote clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.

We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed.

My TIVO remote and myself are the defenders of my living room.

We are the masters of our wife.

We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until there are no commericals, but FOOTBALL.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 02:33:17 AM »

Can you disassembly the remote and clean it out?

I once had a VCR that got a drink spilled on it, I immediately removed the cover, wiped up most of the spill and cleaned the rest with Isopropyl Alcohol and much to my suprise, it worked and never had a single problem with it. Of course I let it dry for a couple of hours before plugging it back up.

OR, you could take the easy way out and buy a replacement remote.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 02:39:58 AM »

Jshaw.....did that instantly.  Did not help.  I ordered an OEM replacement off the web, but you guessed it.....it won't be here until next week.  I may have to go to the Sports Bar on Sunday to see all of the games, but I will feel like a Jedi without his lightsaber.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 02:57:29 AM »

BTW...do not order your DirecTivo remote from anywhere except DirecTV.  Call them up and they will send you the latest revision remote for $20 including fedex shipping (I got a 2nd remote a week or so ago).  No problems, no hassle and much cheaper than any retail and most online.  You have to call them though...they don't offer the Tivo remote online like the other universal remotes on their site.

EDIT - you can record shows from the DirecTivo box...I just bring up the guide, scroll to the right program and hit select.  A huge pain but it would work until you get the replacement.  I really wish the box had a page up and page down screen...it's a real pain going from channel 36 to 300.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:58:20 PM »

Maybe I am missing something....why not just go buy a universal remote?

Remote Central lists a ton of remotes which work with what you have - most available from places like Radio Shack and Best Buy so you can go buy one right away.

I have been using a universal remote with my TiVO since I got it so I can control the TV, reciever, DVD, and VCR.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:09:38 PM »

I need one that controls the Directv/Tivo all in 1 unit.  The remote needs to have the "Directv" button.  Found an off brand at Circuit City.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 07:30:48 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

I get up to answer the phone and the remote takes a Greg Louganis into the deep end of the glass, half sticking out as if it was a silver fish bobber on steroids. Where was this skill when I tried to throw the ping pong ball into the goldfish bowl at the church festival?

What, do you drink your wine out of pint glasses?  I can't even envision my DirecTiVo remote fitting in a wine glass...
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »

Close......those big wide wine glasses usually used for Cabernet.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 10:40:54 PM »

The one from DirecTv is the official OEM Tivo remote...the same one you would get if you bought a new DirecTivo today.  I don't know where you are but I could not find a universal remote for under $20 that included all of the buttons the Tivo remote has...the closest a retail place had (that actually worked) was $35 at Best Buy though Target had some for $15-20 that claimed to work with Tivo (but didn't).
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 11:06:01 PM »

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Terk-DIRECTV--Universal-Remote--DTVR-/sem/rpsm/oid/70116/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 01:39:24 AM »

If you're going to spend $20 on an off brand universal remote why not spend the $20 and get the real TiVo remote from Directv?  I could see it if you were getting one of the high end macro remotes.  I have used the Terk (a version of it anyway) and it does work with the Tivo...but it does not work as well.  I eventually scrapped it because it would lose the code for the Tivo every 2-3 days even with new batteries.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 05:14:37 PM »

I just need something to get me by until the real one shows up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: