http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 04:03:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The War is Over!!  (Read 1129 times)
unbreakable
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:34:43 AM »

Well... kind of.

The battle for supremacy among new high-definition DVD formats, between Sony's Blu-Ray and Toshiba's HD-DVD, may not be a fight to the death after all, thanks to two innovations to be announced next week.

LG Electronics plans to launch a DVD player that will run both types of discs, while Warner Brothers is expected to reveal that it is working on a single disc that can play films and television programmes in both formats.

The new products are launching just as market research groups plan to scale back their predictions for hardware and disc sales of both high-definition formats. There is growing evidence that the rivalry between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD has confused consumers, who fear buying into a "modern-day Betamax" - the video recorder that lost out to VHS in a similarly vicious technological battle 30 years ago.

This will be really good for consumers, at least.  Especially the dual format discs!
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »

There is growing evidence that the rivalry between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD has confused consumers, who fear buying into a "modern-day Betamax" - the video recorder that lost out to VHS in a similarly vicious technological battle 30 years ago.

Yay. Time to end this war.

Welcome to the Bovine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »

Alright folks, time to hug it out.  I'm looking at you guys, you know who I'm talking about  nod

oh yeah, and I so hope the dual player isn't too expensive, but I'm predicting betweem $1000-$1500 US initially  disgust

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »

meh...both of them suck,i was looking at the blu ray and HD dvds in the shops.....1,they are overpriced ...2,special features are sometimes on the films..(etc...some on harry potter...none on king kong)and if they do have special features,it isnt as many as DVDs have...and3,crap cases...all this for marginally better picture...no thank you,DVD looks great on my TV...so i aint one to change-especially when i have just a little under 1200 DVD titles,LOL

boo

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »

New technology ALWAYS will cost more initially. They are no different than the first HDTV's or the first VCR's and DVD players.

Most HD DVD's and BR discs have MORE special features than their DVD counterparts, especially on new releases, and often these features are in HD themselves, so to say what you did in point two is very misleading.

What about the cases makes them crap? They are smaller, seem to be better made, and have a much better look than your typical snapper type DVD case. Besides, is it worth damning the formats because of cases? disgust

If there is one thing you are definitely wrong about it is your "marginally better picture quality" comment. I challenge you to take King Kong (HD DVD) or Ice Age (Blu Ray), put them on a good quality HDTV, watch them for an hour or so, then put the DVD for both movies in and then tell me its marginally better. The clarity alone blows DVD out of the water, and thats not even taking into account the detail that it shows, that you don't get with DVD.

I think you need to start over and look at the technology again. icon_wink

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »

If it has an HDMI input, I know what I'll be waiting for...  Two of my last three phones have been LGs, and I've been really happy with both of them (a Nokia inbetween, not so much)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »

Quote from: JLu on January 05, 2007, 01:25:20 PM

If it has an HDMI input, I know what I'll be waiting for...  Two of my last three phones have been LGs, and I've been really happy with both of them (a Nokia inbetween, not so much)

It most definitely has HDMI, it has to. This will be a great piece of equipment and it means that the customer that buys this has the maximum amount of choice, which makes me very happy. Unfortunately, its gonna cost a lot of bones at its release.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 05, 2007, 12:43:32 PM

New technology ALWAYS will cost more initially. They are no different than the first HDTV's or the first VCR's and DVD players.

No kidding. When my dad bought his first CD-Rom drive for our family computer (back in 1992 or something), it was a 1x drive that came with 12 fairly crappy CDs. The cost? $750.  icon_lol
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »

i was in the shops today looking at the discs and i was looking at the films i already have,and most of the discs didnt have the special features that my DVDs include...yes the DVDs i have are usually 2 discs,but still...

and i have said before on here that us in the UK have had a hell of a better picture than you guys since the 80's(not bragging,just sayin') ,so the picture upgrade is not as impressive as it is for you guys...

now you take that picture quality that we get from satallite,cable or even terrestrial television,and then you give us DVDs in the late 90's and the picture gets even more impressive...but then you give us thisHD/BR 8 years or so later...like i say ..marginally better picture quality

the thing is the people bring out these formats,when people,like me have already built up a big library of films..and when that format,doesnt really justify the leap in next gen formats like VHS to DVD did(i had over 1000 video cassettes at the time)...for people to go out and buy new HD or BR players,or start buying new discs to start the collection again....just isnt worth it...its still gonna have all the normal features that DVD have,like chapters,menus,subtitles etc,that VHS didnt have...and yes i know i dont have to buy into it,no ones asking me to,but i will buy into a new format when i feel it will be worth it

true what you say on the price thing though,i remember DVD players costing a lot when they first came out..now you can buy a cheap player the same price as a DVD icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

anyway,sorry i am just trying to make you see things from my point of view,i am sure that from your point of view,the plunge to buy all of this maybe a better choice

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 03:30:45 PM »

Yes, the PAL signal is a bit better, but we're still talking about 6 times the resolution, on HD DVD/BR, than what you are getting from regular DVD, or that PAL signal. When you can see individual nose hairs, like you can in King Kong and Mission Impossible III, I think its safe to say its a marked improvement and most acknowledge that. 480i DVD to 480p is marginally better picture quality, 480p to 1080p is a HUGE step up.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 05, 2007, 03:30:45 PM

Yes, the PAL signal is a bit better, but we're still talking about 6 times the resolution, on HD DVD/BR, than what you are getting from regular DVD, or that PAL signal. When you can see individual nose hairs, like you can in King Kong and Mission Impossible III, I think its safe to say its a marked improvement and most acknowledge that. 480i DVD to 480p is marginally better picture quality, 480p to 1080p is a HUGE step up.

LOL,has Tom Cruise got a lot of nose hairs?

yeah,okay i see your point on that,but amazing picture over great picture doesnt justify ME for starting again...i really cant think or guess what would actually,it would have to be something different than on a disc,Maybe....3-D that actually works or holorams or smellovision,LOL..but right now i just see the same kind of format(disc),with the same features as DVD,but better picture.......maybe downloads would do it...no discs,no cases,all on one gigantic HDD(so thats 360 out)..yeah maybe if they were in the same quality as HD/BR then i would start again that way(i could do with the space)

unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »

Damn.  The downside to dual-format will actually be uniformly expensive disks.

Oh well, the love-fest was nice for the hour it lasted  icon_biggrin

BTW,

This topic has been moved to Off Topic since it is not gaming stuff...unless they are putting games on HD-DVDs now.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=17339.0

They aren't, but the PS3 is putting games on Blu-Ray...

I figured it would go into the console section seeing how often the subject is brought up in PS3 threads.  No big deal, though.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 04:09:13 PM »

The nose hair thing was to point out just how much detail you get with HD DVD (and BR also). If I still had some of my DVD's of movies I have replaced with HD DVD's, I would do some screen caps, but I can't since I sold them or gave them away. Anyway, trust me, I see so much more in movies now, that are mere blurs on DVD, that it makes the whole viewing experience more enjoyable. I guess if you aren't a stickler, then its not going to be THAT much noticeable, but even my parents, who aren't really videophiles (though they do have an awesome 40" Bravia XBR2) were blown away with the sheer amount of detail that next gen DVD offers.

It's a personal decision, if you don't see that its worth it, I respect that, but the people I have demoed it to are fairly blown away, and remember, HD DVD and Blu-Ray surpass HDTV programming quality, so right now, this is the best of the best as far as image quality goes.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 05, 2007, 04:05:44 PM

Damn.  The downside to dual-format will actually be uniformly expensive disks.

Oh well, the love-fest was nice for the hour it lasted  icon_biggrin

BTW,

This topic has been moved to Off Topic since it is not gaming stuff...unless they are putting games on HD-DVDs now.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=17339.0

They aren't, but the PS3 is putting games on Blu-Ray...

I figured it would go into the console section seeing how often the subject is brought up in PS3 threads.  No big deal, though.

The love fest is in full effect, nobody is arguing and I am more than willing to bury the hatchet with Hetz and let bygones be bygones if he chooses to do the same. No sense in arguing about this anymore, or tossing our (formerly) good relationship out the window.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: