http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:36:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 40409 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 10, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 10, 2014, 04:30:25 PM

last week dragged on too long, but this one wasn't long enough imo.  one, we open with a bit of a future scene with no intermediate explanation for why these two were back together.  it underlined the action scenes with Daryl later on as you already knew (beyond the normal ZA armor he's wearing) that everything ends ok.  except it doesn't and it breaks the peace and happiness they were building.  the standoff with the new group leaves you wondering where about this new direction is going:  towards Terminus or towards the lawlessness of the group Rick barely escaped from? 

great episode. I skipped the next ep highlights though as they've been getting more and more spoiler-filled. 

I'm pretty sure that opening was a past scene, not a future scene.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 10, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »

Lauren Cohan (Maggie) and Sonequa Martin-Green (Sasha) were a lot of fun on the Talking Dead after-show. And, um, leggy.  Fabulous

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 10, 2014, 04:44:00 PM

last week dragged on too long, but this one wasn't long enough imo.  one, we open with a bit of a future scene with no intermediate explanation for why these two were back together.  it underlined the action scenes with Daryl later on as you already knew (beyond the normal ZA armor he's wearing) that everything ends ok.  except it doesn't and it breaks the peace and happiness they were building.  the standoff with the new group leaves you wondering where about this new direction is going:  towards Terminus or towards the lawlessness of the group Rick barely escaped from? 

great episode. I skipped the next ep highlights though as they've been getting more and more spoiler-filled. 

oh hell, you're right.  the facial hair had me thinking it was a different guy.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 10, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 10, 2014, 04:44:00 PM

Yeah - the opening montage was to show Bob's time spent alone and how he became a bitter lonely alcoholic.  Then they cut to how he meets up with the group, which I believe was never mentioned before.  I actually thought he was brought in with the governor's people so that bit seemed unnecessary to me.

While I enjoyed this week's episode much more than last, I was kind of disappointed again.  Not so much with the quality of the episode itself, but in the way the producers are handling the series.  In fact I think this one almost made last week's feel even more like a filler ep.  Tighter writing could have integrated the key plot elements of last week's episode into this week's and given viewers a lot more bang for the buck.  If this were a "full" show with 22 to 25 episodes per season, I'd be fine with this more relaxed pace and more intimate moments with each character.  But given how few episodes we get each year (there are only 3 left in the season!), it's a bit disheartening to not get to see the majority of the ensemble cast.  You're left with multiple plot threads for characters you care about with no guarantee when you'll get to see them again.  And it looks like next week follows the format again.  I'm assuming the last two episodes will hopefully get everyone who survives back in the show again, if not physically reunited.

It's starting to remind me  a lot of Lost Season 2.  Now given that I love(d) Lost, that could be a good or bad thing.  In this case, it's good in the sense that I really do enjoy this style of character and story progression (forward, backward, re-tracing same routes with different characters) in general, but bad in that with these short seasons I feel like there's a sense of urgency that's not being met.  A lot of people got fed up with Lost exactly for this reason during season 2.  I didn't mind because I felt like they had plenty of time to tell their story in their own way.  Here it's not quite the same since there's so much less actual screen time - though maybe it's just me being impatient.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: March 10, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »

I feel the same way about pacing and short seasons (especially when they break them into half seasons). Ordinarily I appreciate leisurely storytelling, but I don't think TWD has that luxury. I want every episode to advance the story.

Since I'm not in charge of that, though, I enjoy them as they come, and last night's was pretty good...although my patience with the Glenn-and-Maggie story is wearing out.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »

Looking forward to Daryl's story much more than anything else.  He's been thrown back into a world of Merles and it will be interesting to see if we get a glimpse of a Daryl that had to survive amongst that kind of environment for so many years.  I'm not saying he's going to become evil, but he surely wasn't as altruistic as he is now when he was with Merle and his admittedly sleazy family.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 10, 2014, 08:35:51 PM

Looking forward to Daryl's story much more than anything else.  He's been thrown back into a world of Merles and it will be interesting to see if we get a glimpse of a Daryl that had to survive amongst that kind of environment for so many years.  I'm not saying he's going to become evil, but he surely wasn't as altruistic as he is now when he was with Merle and his admittedly sleazy family.

Yeah, that was a nice development.  I look forward to seeing that play out.  I hope that they don't just have Daryl infiltrate and eradicate as a full-on hero.  I don't expect they will, but it's in the back of my mind.

Were these the same guys that Rick met at the house?  I couldn't tell.

EDIT: That gang isn't listed on IMDB yet for last night's episode, but there was a character named "Joe" in the one with Rick in the house.  I seem to remember that being the guy's name last night.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:51:05 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 10, 2014, 10:55:07 PM »

That was definitely them.  The actor who plays joe is one of those character actors I always recognize.  He also plays the Mayor in Sons of Anarchy.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 10, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 10, 2014, 10:55:07 PM

That was definitely them.  The actor who plays joe is one of those character actors I always recognize.  He also plays the Mayor in Sons of Anarchy.

ohhhh I totally forgot about those guys!  This is what happens when you do these protracted plotlines, grrr.  Wonder if they are also the ones that took Beth, though they don't seem to have vehicles.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 11, 2014, 01:42:52 AM »

I like that they don't dumb it down with odd, out of place 10 minute monologues spontaneously coming out of one of the characters, or a small flashback that's equally out of place, that's clearly meant to help viewers remember something from an earlier episode.  That always strikes me as somewhat insulting.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: March 11, 2014, 01:55:04 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 10, 2014, 08:27:58 PM

I feel the same way about pacing and short seasons (especially when they break them into half seasons). Ordinarily I appreciate leisurely storytelling, but I don't think TWD has that luxury. I want every episode to advance the story.

Since I'm not in charge of that, though, I enjoy them as they come, and last night's was pretty good...although my patience with the Glenn-and-Maggie story is wearing out.
"GLENN!!!!"
"MAGGIE!!!!!"
"GLENNN!!!!!!!"
"MMMAAAAGGGIIIEEE!"

"SOPHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"   'tarded!

In other words, I agree.  icon_smile

Even when I'm not crazy about the episode (did find this one gripping), it's still one of the few shows I always watch and I tend to watch the after show as well. Which effectively wipes out every Sunday evening for me. I'm not complaining.  icon_smile

I know I've been watching it a long time because now when a sequence doesn't work for me, doesn't advance the story and seems pointless, I start grumbling "This is liked sending Glenn down into the well!" And when a storyline bogs down in one character hollering another character's name, I start yelling "SOPHIIIAAAA!" at the screen.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:59:32 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: March 11, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »

My hunch is that the people who were living in the house took Beth. I don't have anything to base that on except that their presence just off-stage was implied throughout.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »

Same opinion here.

Also, does every damn show on AMC, AE, or whatever have to have its own after show now?  Bates Motel has one now, for cripe's sake.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 11, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 11, 2014, 02:01:51 AM

My hunch is that the people who were living in the house took Beth. I don't have anything to base that on except that their presence just off-stage was implied throughout.

Actually, the rear window of the car had a large cross cut into frosted glass and the home they were coming from is a funeral home, so there is some evidence to support that theory. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 11, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »

We haven't had cannibals yet, right?  This show needs cannibals at some point.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 11, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 11, 2014, 02:23:14 AM

Same opinion here.

Also, does every damn show on AMC, AE, or whatever have to have its own after show now?  Bates Motel has one now, for cripe's sake.
Breaking Bad had one, and Falling Skies on TNT has one. With most such shows you can visit their web site to watch even MOAR after show footage.  Bring your own!

I do think one hour for such shows is a bit of overkill. With that much time to stretch out, the after shows can start to feel padded.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 11, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »

The one they had for Bates Motel last week simply featured the writers apologizing for 30 minutes.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 17, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »

Best show of the season, I was enthralled from start to finish. Interesting characters with interesting dilemmas that tied up some loose ends.  Outstanding acting as well, even the kids did pretty good.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 17, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »

Have to agree.  Holy hell.

My only regret is that I was hoping that storyline would have played out for a longer period once we knew who did the creepy stuff at the prison.

But that is a minor gripe at best.  Overall just a really great episode.

I hope that the confession and the bit with the deer at the end mean that Carol is back on track now.  While I understood where her coldhearted rationality was coming from, and I appreciated the depth it added to her character, I prefer the emotional, empathetic Carol.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 17, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »

damn.  what a punch to the gut.  I did not see that coming. 

It's episodes like this one that you need to go watch some happy cartoon or something afterwards.  whomever wrote this episode deserves an emmy.  and both of the kids did amazingly well. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1300 on: March 17, 2014, 03:46:42 PM »

Yes, an excellent episode. The relationships between this group of characters are (or were!) more believable than between Daryl and Beth, which gave the events more power. Messed-up Lizzie was a good loose cannon and I'm sorry to see her go, although I suppose they'd taken the character as far as they could after last night's events. I even felt sorry that they didn't let her turn zombie, as she had wanted so much to do.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 17, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »

Yeah, that was a fantastic episode, I just couldn't get it out of my mind afterwards.  I thought it would be more controversial here in terms of like/dislike so I'll be interested to see others' opinions.  I have to say when it first started I was a bit annoyed since I quickly realized it was another single-group-centric story.  And then I realized just how contrived it was to put this particular group together, particularly Carol with Tyrese - gee how convenient!  But somewhere during the episode I shut my brain down and just became mesmerized with everything going on, and by the end I was just completely enthralled.

So the question that people seem to be asking is did Carol go too far?  But what were her other choices, all things considered? 
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: March 17, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »

Whoa...that episode.  So good.  The last scene was powerful.  Melissa McBride's performance as Carol was as good as it gets.  She went all in.  The direction and cinematography was really good too. That was one of the very few episodes that actually seemed real, like that's the kind of decision a small group would face trying to survive in that kind of hell.  

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:42:49 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 17, 2014, 04:41:20 PM »

in regards to Lizzie?  no, I don't think she went too far.  she felt that after the events the previous day and her talk that night, that the girl could be saved.  she was as much in shock as the audience and heartbroken by both what happened and what she needed to do.  It's why she confessed; I think she felt that giving someone control over whether she lived was punishment for her actions.  

as for the original killings, I think she felt the emotional disconnect from a fellow human and let that state allow her to see the sick as no more than a threat to the group.  this episode is her return to humanity, just as it was for Tyreese in forgiving her. if you look at the main splinter groups, they have all been based around this theme.  

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »

EW has a nice interview with Carol McBride about last night's tough episode:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/17/walking-dead-melissa-mcbride-carol-lizzie-grove/

Due to an impromptu nap, I didn't get to see the whole episode all the way through. I think I caught the last 20 minutes when first aired, so I was seriously, "WTF just happened????"  icon_eek While I can totally see why some of the Internet's not comfortable with tykes doing some of what's portrayed in the episode, imho within this particular fictional environment, it was brilliant stuff. I probably held my breath during Carol's confession for quite some time...  paranoid

It seemed like the episode cast a certain pall over the Talking Dead segment after. It seemed like a wake of sorts, whereas last week's show was like a pep rally.

My sister-in-law, a third grade teacher, just got into show this season, and I may have to check how she responded to last night's episode's events.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:09:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: March 17, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

I was wondering if there would really be controversy or if, like rittchard here, everyone would just be expecting controversy.  Really, though the choices were tough and debatable, they also seem perfectly within the bounds of this defined world and its characters.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 17, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 17, 2014, 07:13:01 PM

I was wondering if there would really be controversy or if, like rittchard here, everyone would just be expecting controversy.  Really, though the choices were tough and debatable, they also seem perfectly within the bounds of this defined world and its characters.

I think as a gamer community I suspect we might have a different perspective than many other people.  We're all used to making tough decisions and sacrifices in the games we play.  I suspect for more "regular" folk who are watching the show, it could be a lot more to handle.  No matter how we slice it and justify it, the end sequence is essentially one of the show's heroines executing a pre-teen girl.   

http://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/walking-dead-grove-episode-spoiler-most-shocking-controversial-131500269-us-weekly.html

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/walking-dead-recap-2014173
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 17, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »

It was such a powerful episode that a group of Gamer's forgot about the ripoff of the Fallout intro to start the show?  Where have you ever heard that song outside of Fallout? As soon as I saw that I figured this was going to be a f'd up episode.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: March 17, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 17, 2014, 07:43:38 PM

I think as a gamer community I suspect we might have a different perspective than many other people.  We're all used to making tough decisions and sacrifices in the games we play.

Damn straight.  "Should I go for the red power up, or wait for the blue to pop?".  "Should I shoot Ironrod in the back because he's being a loot ninja or do it after the raid?".  All these decisions are as gut wrenching as any real world one!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: March 18, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 17, 2014, 11:33:53 PM

I think as a gamer community I suspect we might have a different perspective than many other people.  We're all used to making tough decisions and sacrifices in the games we play.

Damn straight.  "Should I go for the red power up, or wait for the blue to pop?".  "Should I shoot Ironrod in the back because he's being a loot ninja or do it after the raid?".  All these decisions are as gut wrenching as any real world one!

Are you going to harvest that girl or save her?

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 17, 2014, 07:13:01 PM

I think as a gamer community I suspect we might have a different perspective than many other people.  We're all used to making tough decisions and sacrifices in the games we play.  I suspect for more "regular" folk who are watching the show, it could be a lot more to handle.  No matter how we slice it and justify it, the end sequence is essentially one of the show's heroines executing a pre-teen girl.    

http://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/walking-dead-grove-episode-spoiler-most-shocking-controversial-131500269-us-weekly.html

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/walking-dead-recap-2014173

Right, but these are news articles telling us that the episode is controversial, which is the same thing as them expecting controversy.  I'm sure some organization out there will get wind of this and stir something up (the cynical side of me might even wonder if someone at A&E won't point it out to that organization), but I haven't heard any actual controversy at this point.  Just people saying it was a controversial episode.

I imagine most people who are invested in the show by this point have an idea what to expect.  Not to say the events in this episode weren't shocking and shouldn't make you think or debate with friends, but I just wonder if it would actually cause a prolonged, public and heated disagreement with those who watch, gamer or otherwise.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 24, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »

Last night I texted my nephew:
Spoiler for Hiden:
What? Terminus is Tasha Yar????  saywhat

Maybe the whole show is just a holodeck simulation on the Enterprise?  icon_razz
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:13:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 24, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 24, 2014, 04:54:51 PM

Last night I texted my nephew:
Spoiler for Hiden:
What? Terminus is Tasha Yar????  saywhat

Maybe the whole show is just a holodeck simulation on the Enterprise?  icon_razz

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wait did I not recognize the actress?  Was that Tasha?

So the single-word buzzword on the finale from Kirkman is "savage" - care to guess what that's all about?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Word on the street is Hannibal, I mean cannibals.  Serving up Beth for dinner with a nice glass of Chianti.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:28:11 PM by rittchard » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 24, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »

yeah, that's the general consensus I'm reading.  it's rather about time though, don't you think? where else would she be getting that red meat?

loved the group that Deryl has fallen in with and look forward to the inevitable conflict.  if Beth's in the soup, I wonder what he'll do to Terminus's people (or just 'Mary')  Eugene was interesting, even if he does look like discount Kenny Powers. 

now that the semi-big reunion has happened, any bets on which part of the pair bites it next week? 

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: March 24, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

Terminous is just wrong. Where are the guards, where are the defenses? They just walked right on in. I'm betting on cannibals with a whole ton of hidden firepower.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 24, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »

For untrusting, jaded, battle hardened ZA veterans, the walk into Terminus should have been ringing all kinds of alarm bells for them.  And then the greeting they received?  Nope.  I have a hard time believing that their <<Warning!  Warning!  WTF Does not compute>> senses weren't kicking in.  The walk into Terminus violated many of the battle hardened rules that have kept them alive up to this point.  An open perimieter with unlocked gates.  No security (that were visible).  Signs to lower weapons.  And then a lone person with her back turned grilling meat.

There are 2 people that I expect to walk into Terminus alerted and highly skeptical of what they're seeing.  Darryl and Michone.  Even Rick given how untrusting he's become.  The rest of the group may be so desperate to find what they think is a safe haven that they're willing to ignore the alarms.  Eugene's group seems like they would approach the location as opportunistic raiders.  But I'm guessing the people of Terminus have dealt with their kind before.      
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1315 on: March 24, 2014, 07:30:05 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 24, 2014, 05:57:27 PM

Terminous is just wrong. Where are the guards, where are the defenses? They just walked right on in. I'm betting on cannibals with a whole ton of hidden firepower.

That's exactly what I said when the episode ended. Look at all the vegetables and the big grill. Wait - where's the MEAT ... Cannibals.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »

Lotus eaters.

Also, if you see Tasha Yar, just run anyway.  That's a basic rule.  

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »

I figured she plants the walkers in the sides of the train tunnel like fresh veggies, and occasionally goes in there to pluck off some cooking ingredients, so to speak.  drool

I agree, I just wouldn't expect ALL the gathered characters to willingly walk through those unlocked fence gates without so much as a pause, or a "Hey, maybe a couple of us should remain outside the fence until we know what this place is all about" remark.

I liked the touch with the candy bar wrapper on the railroad track.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:28:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 24, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »

So, this group that Daryl is with. Are the they same guys that stayed at the house where Rick was hiding under the bed and ran away from with Carl and Michonne?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 25, 2014, 12:00:30 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on March 24, 2014, 09:42:02 PM

So, this group that Daryl is with. Are the they same guys that stayed at the house where Rick was hiding under the bed and ran away from with Carl and Michonne?

Yes...and one of them is the guy who saw Rick's face as he was being choked out on the bedroom floor. They made a pretty clear point of mentioning that one of them should recognize Rick if they ever run into each other again. Should be interesting...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: