http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:51:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 47633 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: December 06, 2013, 09:17:49 PM »

A prison would be one of the most secure places on the planet to use as a base, if it could be cleared out.  There's not much of an exciting story to tell as long as they have a safe haven like that.  TWD is at its best when they are on the move, desperately trying to survive, hence the show title's reference to the living, not the zombies.  For most of this season we were watching The Confined and Safe Dead. 

I hope for most of the 2nd half that they keep the split up groups apart, having to survive on their own.  I think it would allow for more varied and creative story telling.   
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: December 06, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 06, 2013, 09:17:49 PM

...hence the show title's reference to the living, not the zombies.  For most of this season we were watching The Confined and Safe Dead.     

Confused by this. Aren't "walking dead" = zombies?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 07, 2013, 12:58:34 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 06, 2013, 09:36:51 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on December 06, 2013, 09:17:49 PM

...hence the show title's reference to the living, not the zombies.  For most of this season we were watching The Confined and Safe Dead.     

Confused by this. Aren't "walking dead" = zombies?

I think he meant it as a double play on words, meaning the people are also walking dead since they are trying to survive (and also infected with the zombie virus).  Or something like that lol.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

like 'Dead man walking'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 07, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »

Exactly.  I just assumed the title was a play on words meant to describe the survivors.  They are the true walking dead.  The show is about them.  The zombies have always been like extras.  I felt like they clarified it even more when we learned that all of the survivors already have the zombie virus. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 07, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »

Glad to see there will be a change of scenery!  Now kill some more peeps!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1206 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »

So how about them zombies? I enjoyed the season 4.5 premier, especially the echoes of early episodes (burning tank, comatose Rick, reference to Shane). It's like the characters are coping with their disorientation by going back to the beginning. Enjoyed seeing bratty Carl taken down a peg, too. The diaspora is a good development if they don't spend the entire rest of the season reuniting people (as it looks like they might do).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 10, 2014, 07:25:43 AM

So how about them zombies? I enjoyed the season 4.5 premier, especially the echoes of early episodes (burning tank, comatose Rick, reference to Shane). It's like the characters are coping with their disorientation by going back to the beginning. Enjoyed seeing bratty Carl taken down a peg, too. The diaspora is a good development if they don't spend the entire rest of the season reuniting people (as it looks like they might do).

Yeah, it was all good stuff, Carl was starting to lose me, so I'm glad he seems back on track (but I'm growing less certain about the actor, if I'm being honest).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 10, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »

I hated it to the point I think I am done (until I am bored on a Sunday night again).

The tripping thing is old. Who didn't see that coming as Carl took the zombies for a walk? The only question is why was he taking them on the walk? So he could fall over and let them attack him? They needed some action, so the did the ole standby falling over thing?

Michonne: Cutting off arms and jaws make the zombies likes puppies on a leash? Every other zombie fights until the end no matter how destroyed it's body is. Hers stop and move with a shake of her leash. And now she can walk with the zombies? She couldn't do that when she had her zombie puppies the first season. In the first season smearing guts all over themselves barely worked, yet she can walk freely with zombies because she has pet zombies?

And the dream sequence? Ugh, it was painful to watch, dream or not.

Carl eating pudding, with a live, loose, zombie in the room behind him. The window is open, yet for some reason the zombie just puts his arm out the window and doesn't even try to get out?

They are trying to throw in action so everyone is not bored to death. Their characters aren't developed enough to make me give a rats ass about them and have become more annoying than anything else. Please Carl, get bit.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1209 on: February 10, 2014, 03:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 10, 2014, 02:44:09 PM

Michonne: Cutting off arms and jaws make the zombies likes puppies on a leash? Every other zombie fights until the end no matter how destroyed it's body is. Hers stop and move with a shake of her leash. And now she can walk with the zombies? She couldn't do that when she had her zombie puppies the first season. In the first season smearing guts all over themselves barely worked, yet she can walk freely with zombies because she has pet zombies?

Uh, no. She used her previous zombies in the same manner. It's the whole reason she had them.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 10, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »

I hated it to the point I think I am done (until I am bored on a Sunday night again).

The tripping thing is old. Who didn't see that coming as Carl took the zombies for a walk? The only question is why was he taking them on the walk? So he could fall over and let them attack him? They needed some action, so the did the ole standby falling over thing?

And the dream sequence? Ugh, it was painful to watch, dream or not.

Carl eating pudding, with a live, loose, zombie in the room behind him. The window is open, yet for some reason the zombie just puts his arm out the window and doesn't even try to get out?

They are trying to throw in action so everyone is not bored to death. Their characters aren't developed enough to make me give a rats ass about them and have become more annoying than anything else. Please Carl, get bit.

Yeah, the Michonne thing was pretty much the same as it was before (except they are doing the jaw thing a little cheaper now with some sort of rubber extension).

Carl walked the zombies away from his unconscious father so they wouldn't, um, eat him.  Carl is addicted to the gun, apparently (I think his relative height to the zombies is part of the reason, though this is less of an issue than they probably imagined while writing it due to that kid shooting up like a weed; another reason is that his dad told him not to use it).  Anyway, he wasn't going to be using the quite option, so he needed them away from the house so they wouldn't draw more.

Carl eating pudding on the roof with the zombie behind him wasn't for generic "action" so much as to illustrate the dichotomy between the old world and the new world.  And to highlight Carl's general acceptance of that new world.  He's become numb to them.  We've certainly seen zombies reach non-threateningly for effect before, so I don't get why that's a big deal.  It served the story.

I thought the dream sequence, illustrating Michonne's very, very different past life was fantastic.  And paralleled the dichotomy I talked about before.

If you're done, you're done, but it sounds like you're looking for excuses.

That said, I think I may be okay with Carl getting bit.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 10, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 10, 2014, 03:55:31 PM

Uh, no. She used her previous zombies in the same manner. It's the whole reason she had them.

Doesn't make any sense, it goes against everything the show does with zombies. Not that I remember her walking safely with zombies when she was introduced.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:42:36 PM by Lee » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 10, 2014, 04:16:50 PM

Carl walked the zombies away from his unconscious father so they wouldn't, um, eat him.  Carl is addicted to the gun, apparently (I think his relative height to the zombies is part of the reason, though this is less of an issue than they probably imagined while writing it due to that kid shooting up like a weed; another reason is that his dad told him not to use it).  Anyway, he wasn't going to be using the quite option, so he needed them away from the house so they wouldn't draw more.

Except he doesn't care about being quiet anymore as he kept demonstrating over and over this episode. And you don't go for a causal walk with zombies following you, as the show repeatedly shows, because you will fall down and almost get eaten. They are seasoned survivors at this point but still act like people do in low budget horror movie. Going for walks while not paying attention and not properly clearing out houses is a common theme of the show and it's getting a bit old.

Carl eating pudding on the roof with the zombie behind him wasn't for generic "action" so much as to illustrate the dichotomy between the old world and the new world.  And to highlight Carl's general acceptance of that new world.  He's become numb to them.  We've certainly seen zombies reach non-threateningly for effect before, so I don't get why that's a big deal.  It served the story.

Because it was silly. If they wanted effect, close the window and have the zombie trying to break it. Just an arm sticking out of the window looked cheesy.

I thought the dream sequence, illustrating Michonne's very, very different past life was fantastic.  And paralleled the dichotomy I talked about before.

The acting/script was painful, dream or not. Lover, really? That's the best way they could tell us who he was?

It's a show I really haven't liked much except for one or two seasons that were interesting and exciting (2 and 3?). I look for excuses to keep watching it, hoping it will get better, it's not for me. Maybe I love to hate it at this point?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »

The scene with Carl merrily eating 112 ounces of pudding on a rooftop while a zombie tries to grab him from an open bedroom window is easily one of the top 10 scenes from the entire series.  It eloquently summed up so many things in the world Carl occupies.

Yes, it was a slow episode.  But that doesn't mean it was a bad episode.  The more I think back on it, the more I realize just how much was said without a single word.  The actor playing Carl knocked it out of the park in almost every scene he was in.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:39:23 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1214 on: February 10, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 10, 2014, 04:31:23 PM

Doesn't make any sense, it goes against everything the show does with zombies. Not that I remember her walking safely with zombies when she was introduced.

So why do you think she chained two armless jawless zombies up and walked them around? Why does she do it again during this episode? If she liked them as pets or something like that, why didn't she keep them around before, or make new ones before?

Mike Dunn
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 10, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 10, 2014, 04:41:44 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 10, 2014, 04:16:50 PM

Except he doesn't care about being quiet anymore as he kept demonstrating over and over this episode. And you don't go for a causal walk with zombies following you, as the show repeatedly shows, because you will fall down and almost get eaten. They are seasoned survivors at this point but still act like people do in low budget horror movie. Going for walks while not paying attention and not properly clearing out houses is a common theme of the show and it's getting a bit old.

Because it was silly. If they wanted effect, close the window and have the zombie trying to break it. Just an arm sticking out of the window looked cheesy.

The acting/script was painful, dream or not. Lover, really? That's the best way they could tell us who he was?

It's a show I really haven't liked much except for one or two seasons that were interesting and exciting (2 and 3?). I look for excuses to keep watching it, hoping it will get better, it's not for me. Maybe I love to hate it at this point?

Carl is a kid trying to act more mature than he is (and trying to convince the world he is more skilled than he is).  He actually did show that he knew to be quiet in the scene where he yelled at his dad on the couch.  He looked to the door and then continued in a quieter tone.  When he loudly pronounced that he would be fine if his dad died, he was posturing again.  Of course this was clear at the end when he was admitting to his fear, but his actions of leading the zombies away also illustrated the point.  It wasn't a casual walk, it was a plan.  But he is a kid who is acting beyond his capacity, and the plan got away from him all too easily.  Sure, we know it's a bad plan, but that's what creates the dramatic tension.  Waiting for the inevitable, then watching to see how he'll handle it when it comes.  Carl thinks he can take on the world, but he really can't.  This was the whole point of Carl's storyline in the episode (and the reason he was hungrily chowing down on a massive tub of desert at the end, just like a little kid).

The point of the shot of Carl on the roof was Carl, not the zombie.  Having the zombie banging on the glass would distract from the point.  It would also add unnecessary tension that the scene didn't need.

I thought the acting was great in the dream sequence.  They themselves made fun of the awkward use of the word "lover" in the scene, which made it a human moment.  The scene grew increasingly separate as it went on, with Michonne acting in her old manner, ignoring the horror that was building around her, again highlighting the old world/new world chasm, and showing the pain of loss not just for the people in it, but also of that world itself.  The fact that the scene was about the katanna wielding silent kick ass Michonne, illustrated the contrast even more.

I also have been frustrated by this show in the past (the Gov being a particular sticking point with me), but when they pull together a great episode like this one, it's a little bizarre to hear that people don't click with it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 10, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 10, 2014, 05:41:18 PM

Quote from: Lee on February 10, 2014, 04:31:23 PM

So why do you think she chained two armless jawless zombies up and walked them around? Why does she do it again during this episode? If she liked them as pets or something like that, why didn't she keep them around before, or make new ones before?

Well, in fairness, there was another reason, and the new ones weren't worthy substitutes, clearly.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 10, 2014, 06:08:35 PM »

Personally I thought this was one of the most brilliant single episodes of the entire series.  Maybe not what I'd been expecting or hoping for so much in terms of finding out what happened to everyone, but absolutely fantastic regardless.  For fans of the comic, they adhered to issues 49-50 (I think that's what they said in the aftershow) very closely, even in terms of the scenes/imagery and framing of the direction.  The director said he purposely chose a wild-west-ish direction style, Carl alone in the wild west.

This was very much a character journey episode for Carl and Michonne, keeping in tune with the theme they established from the first half of the season (individual journeys for the key characters).  While some of the plot details might have been a little incongruous, I don't think that's necessarily the point of the show.  Some people seem to want a constantly 100% "realistic" depiction of the zombie apocalypse.  This is not that show, they've already been inconsistent with their mythology and handling of zombies, you either roll with it or don't.  

Watching the after show sheds a lot of light on at least what the director and actors' intents were.  Andrew Lincoln was quoted as saying watching Chandler Riggs (Carl) in the episode was like watching an actor become a man, or something like that.  Yes he's bratty and annoying at times, but he's a freaking 14yo in the apocalypse.  He had to personally kill his mother and his father figure, and his baby sister is likely dead (or not?).  He's lost everything except for his decrepit dad; how do you want him to act?  I loved everything they did with him this episode, from the "I Win" arrogance to the kidlike exuberance with the pudding to that simple moment where he gets excited by the X-Box for only a second, and then immediately goes into survival mode and grabs the power cord to tie the door.  Just some brilliant acting and direction.  

Similar deal with Michonne, this was her "journey" episode back to life.  Why could she travel with the zombie pack so easily?  Because she was effectively dead inside.  Perhaps this is not a satisfying answer for purists, but that's what they were trying to convey.  Seeing her doppleganger shocked her back to life and she decides to return to the living, starting by getting rid of her "fall back" of emotionlessness and living effectively as a zombie.  Loved what the actress did in the dream sequence, as well as the kickass action and then back to the emotional breakdown when she sees Carl and Rick.  Just a beautiful moment.

Loved it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:10:17 PM by rittchard » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 10, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »

Well said...well said.   icon_wink

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1219 on: February 10, 2014, 08:08:04 PM »

If the entire series is Carl's coming-of-age story, as I often think, then this was one of the most significant episodes to date. Badass Carl wants to leave childhood behind (and Rick even told him "you are a man") but he's still confused about what that means. He hasn't reconciled the Shane and Rick role models yet...even though it looked like his Shane side was running away with it. The scene in which he almost shoots maybe-zombie Rick was extremely tense and revealing.

I think they have a pretty good overall balance of character development, plot exposition, and straight-up action.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 10, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »

I thought it was pretty awful episode myself, mainly due to carl's horrible acting. I was hoping he would get bit, but then realized he might have trouble even pulling off a zombie with any believability  icon_razz. I felt michonne's flashback was also pretty weak in terms of writing and, especially, acting. but I did at least appreciate the character exploration as she one of the few interesting characters around these days. I think I might try watching a syfy series before TWD instead of True Detective next time, heh.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 10, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »

I doubt Carl is going anywhere any time soon after last night's stellar performance.  Expect him to irritate you for a while longer.   icon_wink
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:40:35 PM by hepcat » Logged

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:38 PM »

I'm pretty demanding with my child actor expectations, and I continue to think Chandler Riggs is one of the best I've seen on TV - ever.  So I guess to each his own.  That episode when he was almost dying and doing that crazy convulsion still sticks out in my mind.  I also like what he does without dialog, he can convey a lot of different emotions in a single scene, something which many adult actors have trouble with.  

I'm curious those of you who think he's so bad, exactly what child actors in this age range (12-14) are you using as your baseline?  

...and yeah, I'd expect Rick to die before Carl lol.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »

Quote from: Toe on February 10, 2014, 08:28:43 PM

I thought it was pretty awful episode myself, mainly due to carl's horrible acting. I was hoping he would get bit, but then realized he might have trouble even pulling off a zombie with any believability  icon_razz. I felt michonne's flashback was also pretty weak in terms of writing and, especially, acting. but I did at least appreciate the character exploration as she one of the few interesting characters around these days. I think I might try watching a syfy series before TWD instead of True Detective next time, heh.
Yes, the show is now called "Carl at 15," not "The Walking Dead"   icon_biggrin

imho, lots of excellent child actors become awkward, gawky, overly self conscious "actors" as they transition into their teens. It's called "puberty" and I sort of feel bad for someone who has to go through that age on a crazy popular TV show. I just didn't find it necessary for them to spend a half hour telling us Carl is a surly, clumsy, teenage knucklehead. I think they could show that to us in about 5 minutes, which would then call less attention to a young actor's awkwardness as performer.

The funny thing about Michonne is on the post-show talk show, the way she and director-co exec producer Nicotero explained it sounded very thoughtful and dramatic and character-developing to me. But when I was watching it earlier, I honestly didn't know why she was doing the things she was doing (didn't help I missed the dream sequence while I was driving home). She just seemed to go batshi* for no particular reason. Once I understood what she and the director/showrunner were going for, it made more sense to me. So either I'm dumb (could be icon_razz) or the script was a bit too vague in explaining her behavior.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:43 PM »

I think missing the dream sequence was the issue.  You were just going off incomplete knowledge.

As for Carl, I never once felt that he was acting too "awkward".  His performance was spot on.  He conveyed everything he needed to convey through facial expressions and body language for the most part.  Heck, most adult actors can't even do that.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 10, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 10, 2014, 09:02:49 PM

The funny thing about Michonne is on the post-show talk show, the way she and director-co exec producer Nicotero explained it sounded very thoughtful and dramatic and character-developing to me. But when I was watching it earlier, I honestly didn't know why she was doing the things she was doing (didn't help I missed the dream sequence while I was driving home). She just seemed to go batshi* for no particular reason. Once I understood what she and the director/showrunner were going for, it made more sense to me. So either I'm dumb (could be icon_razz) or the script was a bit too vague in explaining her behavior.

I think they didn't want to hit you over the head with it and let the audience interpret it as they wanted.  Without the post show stuff I don't think I had thought about it exactly they way she explained, but overall I think it was clear she was going through an intensely personal journey to figure out if life was still worth living in the aftermath of the previous episode.

And ditto for Carl, he has to come to terms with possibly losing *everyone*, including his dad, and deciding if it's still worth living.  In many ways the apocalypse is most interesting from the younger point of view, because they are the ones who lose the most. Not just their loved ones, but their innocence and childhood.  How that shapes them is one of the most fascinating things about this kind of story IMHO.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1226 on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »

I enjoyed it.  it was tense and by focusing on a few key players, it was a much better episode than the big set-piece episodes.  This goes into the top 5 for me, when looking at character building and tension.  Yeah, we knew that 'something' would happen when Carl was walking the zeds out, otherwise they would have gotten it over with in the street and we'd get scenes of him and dad sleeping or something.  we also got the big hint from Rick earlier about conserving bullets so we knew he would run dry at an inopportune moment, and that's exactly what happened. 

we see him go from over-conscious to fear on a very believable path and we get the same from Michonne's story.  they became very business-like about surviving as the alternative would be giving up as they succumbed to hopelessness.  when faced with the reality of simply surviving, they realized that they needed to preserve their humanity.

The episode is one of the better ones that illustrates the title perfectly. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 10, 2014, 09:35:06 PM

The episode is one of the better ones that illustrates the title perfectly. 

That was REALLY obvious in the scene with Michone walking alongside her undead counterpart even.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1228 on: February 10, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »

My 15 year-old son now watches the show, and Aimi and I thought it was an excellent episode for him to watch. And I actually thought Carl acted better than a lot of the previous episodes he's been in.

Mike Dunn
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »

In all fairness, it should be mentioned that in the tradition of most tv and movie shows with kid characters, the actor playing Carl is 47.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 10, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »

Well clearly I am in the minority here. I will shut up for now, at least until I watch it again next Sunday and get pissed at myself for watching a show again I really don't like. icon_wink
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:51 AM »

Can you...well...watch something else?  Or perhaps play a video game or read a book during that time?  I guess I don't understand why, if you don't enjoy it, you would continue?   icon_confused
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:45:00 AM by hepcat » Logged

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 11, 2014, 01:32:08 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 11, 2014, 12:33:51 AM

Can you...well...watch something else?  Or perhaps play a video game or read a book during that time?  I guess I don't understand why, if you don't enjoy it, you would continue?   icon_confused

Because I did like it, and keep hoping I will again. Of course I seem to be going in the opposite direct now. I am curious of where they are going with it, which may also be why I am still watching it. I will try to be quiet next Sunday.  icon_neutral
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 11, 2014, 02:08:00 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 11, 2014, 01:32:08 AM

Quote from: hepcat on February 11, 2014, 12:33:51 AM

Because I did like it, and keep hoping I will again. Of course I seem to be going in the opposite direct now. I am curious of where they are going with it, which may also be why I am still watching it. I will try to be quiet next Sunday.  icon_neutral

Naw, you're welcome to your opinion and to say it out loud.  It keeps things interesting.

Plus I may need you when the Governor comes back (however that's going to be).

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 11, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »

I wasn't really being flippant.  I was just curious why you would want to watch something you hate.  No snark intended.

To be honest, I have a hard time understanding what's changed for you so much that you hate it now.  It's essentially the same show it's been all along.  It's had some uneven episodes, of course.  But I can't think of any plot elements or characters that would prove so polarizing.  

...wait...did they introduce a Cousin Oliver character while I wasn't looking?  Is that it?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:16:46 AM by hepcat » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1235 on: February 12, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

A look back at Rick's FB history

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35:33 AM »

I'm losing interest in the show as well.  For me it is the lack of an overall goal or destination that makes each episode seem to be a mirror of other episodes.  While I can appreciate the character development, there isn't any thing else to capture my attention.  Narrow escape from zombies, group falls apart and scatters, main character dies and turns into zombie... Seen it all before, I liked the first season where they had a goal of getting to the CDC in Atlanta but since then nothing.  I'll watch but it probably won't command my full attention, I'll do the dishes or play the piano during the show.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:11 AM »

Survival is most definitely a goal.  They tried to create a community.  That was a goal.  They attempted to save Andrea and stop the governor.  More goals.  The show has a plethora of goals.  Goals both large and small. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:32:50 AM by hepcat » Logged

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 13, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 13, 2014, 01:31:11 AM

Survival is most definitely a goal.  They tried to create a community.  That was a goal.  They attempted to save Andrea and stop the governor.  More goals.  The show has a plethora of goals.  Goals both large and small.  

See I used the term I a lot in my response allowing for the possibility of other reactions or feelings about the show, I don't see your reply having any room for opposite opinions.  The goals you list have all been done in some fashion before and to what end?  everyone will die at some point and become zombies, in fact I have to believe in the Walking Dead universe that all Canadians are all ready zombies as they didn't have access to guns like the Americans and had to fend the zombies off with hockey sticks.  

Also if survival is a goal then why do Carl and Rick walk around with only guns?  No backpacks, rations or other camping/survival gear, kind bugs me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:24:53 PM by Zinfan » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on February 13, 2014, 03:22:34 PM

See I used the term I a lot in my response allowing for the possibility of other reactions or feelings about the show, I don't see your reply having any room for opposite opinions.

The omission of the word "I" was not intended to mean a differing opinion was not allowed.  I simply disagreed with your statement.  That is all.  I tend to believe that a discussion about these kind of things lends itself to the implication that there are different opinions.  

(this time, I did include "I" a few times.   icon_wink )

p.s. they don't have supplies because they were rather abruptly forced out of the prison by the arrival of a tank and a homicidal maniac and the eventual herd of zombies.  That they don't currently have them doesn't mean they don't want them, I would imagine.

everyone will die at some point and become zombies

Yes.  Another reason the title of the show has more than a literal meaning.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:59:35 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: