http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 06:09:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 41424 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 02, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »

Although I have utmost faith in Gimple (new showrunner, and writer of a couple of last season's best-received episodes), I don't expect him to last beyond maybe two seasons. He sounds like an uncompromising, focused guy and I'll bet at some point he'll lock horns with AMC just like his predecessors.

Which is fine because I think by the end of next season, nearly everyone I'm invested in as characters on the show will be dead and I probably just won't care about who's left -- it'll probably be like the last couple seasons of ER. I'd channel surf over to it and there'd be like seven people yakking I'd never seen before, and I'd think, "What happened to that show?"

Although in TWD's case you can say it's all about story, and not about writing people off the show because they want to do movies or stage or whatever.

It has been interesting reading interviews where Andrew Lincoln's been outspoken about how continuing to kill off characters, sometimes when they've barely even made an impression, eventually won't leave the audience with anyone to feel invested in; and Kirman understandably says, "Hey that's what The Walking Dead's all about, the audience can deal with it."

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 03, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »

it's a harsh reality in Kirkman's world.  any one who's read the books knows not to get attached to anyone in particular.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 03, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 03, 2013, 04:13:56 PM

it's a harsh reality in Kirkman's world.  any one who's read the books knows not to get attached to anyone in particular.
and while that may work for a serialized graphic novel, for a TV show it may just kill it.  When you go for a broader audience, killing off every character one by one will just end up alienating the fan base.  If they are fine with the show surviving on a niche audience, then they can get away with that.  Its doubtful though that they would keep the show running if the fan base falls off and if they do they would gimp the show so bad financially, that it would soon become un-watchable by even the most ardent fans.  Handled poorly, a show can go from hit to crap to cancelled rather quickly ( Heroes was a good example of that )  I think TWD needs at least a small core of consistent characters to work and thats likely why they pulled in all of the leftovers from the town.  They needed zombie fodder and now theyve got plenty.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 03, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 03, 2013, 05:11:15 PM

and while that may work for a serialized graphic novel, for a TV show it may just kill it.  When you go for a broader audience, killing off every character one by one will just end up alienating the fan base.  If they are fine with the show surviving on a niche audience, then they can get away with that.  Its doubtful though that they would keep the show running if the fan base falls off and if they do they would gimp the show so bad financially, that it would soon become un-watchable by even the most ardent fans.  Handled poorly, a show can go from hit to crap to cancelled rather quickly ( Heroes was a good example of that )  I think TWD needs at least a small core of consistent characters to work and thats likely why they pulled in all of the leftovers from the town.  They needed zombie fodder and now theyve got plenty.

It could be more than zombie fodder, though.  Bring in enough new people, flesh them out and see who sticks with the audience.  If there are even two standout characters, one of them can get killed and the other lets a current regular bite the dust as well.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 16, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

Joanie and Chachi is spinning off from Happy Days

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/16/the-walking-dead-amc-announces-new-companion-spinoff-series

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 16, 2013, 04:57:59 PM »

I read this too.  I don't think any shark jumping is quite warranted yet though.  he's already shown that the world exists outside Georgia.  I'd like to see another part of the apocalypse.  I do hope they don't use this as an opportunity to shave off the Governor from the main show though. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 16, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »

This past season sort of lost me.  I had a very hard time trying to keep up with it.  They introduced my favorite character and it just didn't feel right.  Will try to get back into it, but I might have to switch to AHS: Coven for my fright fix

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 16, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 16, 2013, 04:57:59 PM

I read this too.  I don't think any shark jumping is quite warranted yet though.  he's already shown that the world exists outside Georgia.  I'd like to see another part of the apocalypse.  I do hope they don't use this as an opportunity to shave off the Governor from the main show though. 

yeah, just like the game from TellTale, there can be stories not based on Rick.  I doubt they'd take the Governor away from the main show, he is pretty Rick's arch-nemesis and it wouldn't make sense.

Personally I'd like to see it set outside of the US; hell, make it a series that switches focus to different groups in different areas.  I'm sure there are enough stars whom wouldn't mind doing a self contained story that lasts a few episodes before moving on to somewhere else.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 16, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »

I've been keeping up with the series and I have to say, it's not quite that good anymore.  He seems to be attempting to recreate the Governor storyline over and over again.  I hope he gets off that kick and isn't turning out to be a one note writer.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 16, 2013, 08:47:34 PM »

While Kirkman's the big fish, all i care about is Scott Gimple wrote most of my favorite episodes last season, and now he's the showrunner. Clearly The Gimp's not writing every script but if his fingerprints are on them all, then I have high hopes.  icon_smile Though given that he sounds like an uncompromising sort, I don't give him good odds on lasting past this season.

As far as a spinoff goes, I'm hoping it'll be called, "Walking Dead: Sophia!" and it'll be nothing but 48 minutes per episode of survivors running around the woods, yelling, "SO-PHIA!!!!!"  retard

Seriously, I think a spinoff works if Kirkman takes it into a completely different environs. If it's even remotely like The Walking Dead at all, it'll just smell like lazy spinoffness.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: September 16, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 16, 2013, 08:41:43 PM

I've been keeping up with the series and I have to say, it's not quite that good anymore.  He seems to be attempting to recreate the Governor storyline over and over again.  I hope he gets off that kick and isn't turning out to be a one note writer.

I don't read the comics beyond the blurbs that show up on news sites, but it sounds like he has a big shake-up coming soon.

Because I can,
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 17, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2013, 09:01:27 PM

Quote from: hepcat on September 16, 2013, 08:41:43 PM

I don't read the comics beyond the blurbs that show up on news sites, but it sounds like he has a big shake-up coming soon.
Problem is, this is tv. Too many fans alienated and and it's history.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 27, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »

season 4 'webisodes' start October 1st.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 09, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: October 09, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »

Hopefully we'll get a sneak peek Sat @ Comic Con!
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1055 on: October 10, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »

3 more days until the best zombie show on TV returns. yay.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 11, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »

2 more brains.. er.. days.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1057 on: October 11, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »

Last night I watched the first zombie movie ever, Bela Lugosi in White Zombie from 1932. These were traditional Haitian voodoo zombies, nothing like the monsters of post-Romero zombie lore. It's still a watchable movie thanks to Bela's performance as the zombie creator/master. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: October 11, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »

I was watching parts of the first season the other day and realized only four five cast members (I think?) remain:
Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes)
Steven Yuen (Glen Rhee)
Norman Reedus (Darryl Dixon)
Chandler Riggs (Carl Grimes)
Carole Peletier (Melissa McBride)
*I realize now how few last names I knew of the characters. Rhee? Peletier?

It reminds me of my newspaper days when my fellow staffers would constantly turnover from departures, layoffs and firings. After a few years, I'd look around the newsroom and think, "Who ARE these people???"  icon_razz
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:08:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 11, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 11, 2013, 08:52:31 PM

I was watching parts of the first season the other day and realized only four cast remembers (I think?) remain:
Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes)
Steven Yuen (Glen Lee)
Norman Reedus (Darryl Dixon)
Chandler Riggs (Carl Grimes)

It reminds me of my newspaper days when my fellow staffers would constantly turnover from departures, layoffs and firings. After a few years, I'd look around the newsroom and think, "Who ARE these people???"  icon_razz

there's Carol (Melissa McBride).

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: October 11, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »

Sophiiiiia!

Yeah I shoulda consulted this character page at AMC:
http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/cast

Playing
PC
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 14, 2013, 03:05:16 AM »

TWD is a hit or miss show for me, I like it, but too often I have a hard time getting into it. Well outside of most of last season which was great. After watching the first episode of season 4 I am scared it has gone back to being wishy-washy. I was bored with it, all the little love interests, new annoying nice kid, etc. I know it's just one episode, but it didn't make me excited for next week, even with the ending.

I am also having issues getting my TWD and World War Z zombie facts straight as well since reading the WWZ book. Not the shows fault obviously, just meant that I had to consciously think about how zombies in the two were different. Really starting think I should just skip the show and read the comic.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1062 on: October 14, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »

I think they felt they had to set up a bit of a scenario before everything goes to hell. Yeah, we got a red shirt with the one kid who went on the run.   And it ended with the set up for next week.

Not a strong start, but a necessary one.

Lee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1063 on: October 14, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 14, 2013, 05:41:28 AM

I think they felt they had to set up a bit of a scenario before everything goes to hell. Yeah, we got a red shirt with the one kid who went on the run.   And it ended with the set up for next week.

You are probably right, but was the whole point of the long walk in the woods with that girl? I guess it must to lead to something down the line, but hard to see what. That walk took a good portion of the show only to end the way it did. Seemed so pointless.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1064 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »

I didn't care for last season's lazy plot and "villain" who pulled of menacing about as well as Doctor Evil. That said I was quite impressed with last nights episode. There were still the a number of WB drama level emotional scenes. And Rick showed his usual level of emo scenes including the every present shaky gun while practically sobbing scene. BUT I was really drawn into the

Spoiler for Hiden:
Woman in the woods sub plot. Very well done and that actress was fantastic.

Nice that they upped the gore quotient and associated sound effects.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1065 on: October 14, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 14, 2013, 12:18:51 PM

You are probably right, but was the whole point of the long walk in the woods with that girl? I guess it must to lead to something down the line, but hard to see what. That walk took a good portion of the show only to end the way it did. Seemed so pointless.

The point of it was to show what the world is like, and to counter-point the relative safety of the prison.  Of course, the group excursion also did that, but in a full-action, nothing but zombies way. 

The woman in the woods was also key to getting into Rick's character.  He went through some personal hell last season, and the whole "can you come back" thing was very important to him and helped to show us where he is.

It also was interesting for the whole "3 questions" thing.  They teased that nicely.  The specific questions showed the mindset of the group and where they are when "trusting other people" and why.

There's a lot going on in this little scene, and it's moments like this that make the show stronger than just an action/gore/survival horrorfest.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on October 14, 2013, 12:39:17 PM

I didn't care for last season's lazy plot and "villain" who pulled of menacing about as well as Doctor Evil.

I wouldn't go that far.  I'd say he was at least Andy Griffith from Spy Hard evil.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 14, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »

While I mostly found the episode gripping, I due feel a certain "prison fatigue" setting in terms of the environment. My vote was for the show moving to a different locale each season, although probably in terms of budget that wouldn't work. It wouldn't surprise me if ex-showrunner Mazzara maybe wanted to move the show back to an urban environment or something like that.

It also at times felt so talky, talky, talky. Now some of my favorite TWD episodes are talky, like last season's Scott Gimple-written Clear last season (return of Morgan Jones [Lennie James]).

Some TV critics are clearly burned out on the show and just don't see the point anymore. I mean, when you know everyone on a show will be dead eventually, why get attached to any characters at all? I haven't quite reached that point, though I do find it difficult to get interested in some of the characters inserted into late season 3 and this season. Most of the time, it seems as if when a character is starting to feel annoying to me, or conversely, is just finally becoming interesting, then BOOM, you know he/she will be gone.

I realize that's how the comics work.

btw, Nathan Fillion was the guest on Talking Dead, and a lot of fun like always.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:02:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: October 14, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 14, 2013, 03:00:46 PM

While I mostly found the episode gripping, I due feel a certain "prison fatigue" setting in terms of the environment. My vote was for the show moving to a different locale each season, although probably in terms of budget that wouldn't work. It wouldn't surprise me if ex-showrunner Mazzara maybe wanted to move the show back to an urban environment or something like that.

It also at times felt so talky, talky, talky. Now some of my favorite TWD episodes are talky, like last season's Scott Gimple-written Clear last season (return of Morgan Jones [Lennie James]).

Some TV critics are clearly burned out on the show and just don't see the point anymore. I mean, when you know everyone on a show will be dead eventually, why get attached to any characters at all? I haven't quite reached that point, though I do find it difficult to get interested in some of the characters inserted into late season 3 and this season. Most of the time, it seems as if when a character is starting to feel annoying to me, or conversely, is just finally becoming interesting, then BOOM, you know he/she will be gone.

I realize that's how the comics work.

btw, Nathan Fillion was the guest on Talking Dead, and a lot of fun like always.  icon_cool

Don't worry, I don't think they are going to be in that prison for long.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: October 14, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »

Oh, Gimple on Talking Dead talked about some upcoming characters and cast members. I'm psyched that Michael Cudlitz (Band of Brothers, Southland) will be one of them, apparently some sort of sergeant (I haven't read enough of the comics to have heard of him).

EW has the Cudlitz poop (*some possible season 4 spoilers*):
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/13/the-walking-dead-panel-new-york-comic-con/
*Below is about Cudlitz and other new cast members. I don't think it's spoiler-y, but better safe than sorry.  icon_smile
Spoiler for Hiden:
Big revelations: Michael Cudlitz is “motherf—ing Abraham!” The Southland actor stormed up to the audience mic disguised as an angry fan, demanding showrunner Gimple include Sgt. Abraham Ford on the series. He then revealed his identity, in fully bearded and muscle-toned character.

The producers also confirmed the casting of Christian Serratos (Twilight) as Rosita Espinosa and announced actor/comedian Josh McDermitt as Eugene, who, according to Nicotero, is sure to be “fully mulleted.”
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:10:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Lee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1070 on: October 14, 2013, 05:59:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 14, 2013, 02:52:38 PM

Quote from: Lee on October 14, 2013, 12:18:51 PM

I think they felt they had to set up a bit of a scenario before everything goes to hell. Yeah, we got a red shirt with the one kid who went on the run.   And it ended with the set up for next week.

The point of it was to show what the world is like, and to counter-point the relative safety of the prison.  Of course, the group excursion also did that, but in a full-action, nothing but zombies way.  

The woman in the woods was also key to getting into Rick's character.  He went through some personal hell last season, and the whole "can you come back" thing was very important to him and helped to show us where he is.

It also was interesting for the whole "3 questions" thing.  They teased that nicely.  The specific questions showed the mindset of the group and where they are when "trusting other people" and why.

There's a lot going on in this little scene, and it's moments like this that make the show stronger than just an action/gore/survival horrorfest.

Interesting hearing what someone else got out of the scene that I missed. I guess that is my problem, I never much cared for Rick's character, and don't really want to get deeper. I am not an action/gore kind of person, the opposite actually, but I didn't think there was really that much in that scene. Different tastes obviously.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:12:58 PM by Lee » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: October 14, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »

Yeah I didn't pick up on any of that insight from the woman in the woods. Makes sense but for me the whole thing seemed pointless. So for me they could have gotten that across better somehow.

I also didn't like the out-of-the-blue sickness thing at the end. Seemed like they were missing a scene or two in there showing the progress of that. They could have chopped 60 seconds off of various zombies falling through the ceiling and added two quick scenes with the sickness.

What I really enjoyed was near the start of the episode where Daryl is going through the lunch area and all the new people are being so friendly. It really felt like a big change there. Given the previews that probably won't last beyond this episode but I wish they kept with at it a bit longer. Would be nice to see the main crew not looking so morose all the time.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: October 14, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 14, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

I also didn't like the out-of-the-blue sickness thing at the end. Seemed like they were missing a scene or two in there showing the progress of that. They could have chopped 60 seconds off of various zombies falling through the ceiling and added two quick scenes with the sickness.

I was thinking this over and I've come to the belief that he was poisoned. the progression is much too fast for a perfectly healthy looking kid to go from "small cough to dead" stage to be just a case of the flu.  also, the scene from the next week played during Talking Dead reveals a bad agent within the prison. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 14, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »

Yeah, the sickness thing is definitely going to start paying off soon.

For the record, I get a little tired of Rick's shaky gun crying stuff, too.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 14, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »

I am hoping for a overarching plot line as weekly stabbing of walkers gets old for me if the survivors have no plan and no way out.  I'm getting nitpicky as well on stupid things that have no real bearing on the story like why wasn't Herschel the vet looking after the pig and why was the lady from the woods so dirty and yet her tent was spotless?  Small things but probably an indicator that I am losing interest.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:50 PM »

The interview I read said that the goal was for every character (I assume he meant the main ones) to have a strong story arc with beginning and end for this season.  It looks to me like Rick's storyline is about acceptance - of the things he's had to do and sacrifices he's had to make in order to survive and take care of his family.  I suspect by season's end he'll have to take the mantle of leadership back again but who knows.

Also in comic book news, they've been building and building for months to a big story arc that's going to last 12 issues entitled ALL OUT WAR.  Color me excited!!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: October 14, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 14, 2013, 10:44:50 PM

Also in comic book news, they've been building and building for months to a big story arc that's going to last 12 issues entitled ALL OUT WAR.  Color me excited!!!

and it's going bi-weekly for All Out War too.  Haven't been following the comics beyond the occasional new article, but he is promising something major at the end.  The only shocking thing I can think of would be either Rick or Carl getting killed off.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1077 on: October 15, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »

Quote from: Caine on October 14, 2013, 08:45:54 PM

Quote from: Crawley on October 14, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

I was thinking this over and I've come to the belief that he was poisoned. the progression is much too fast for a perfectly healthy looking kid to go from "small cough to dead" stage to be just a case of the flu.  also, the scene from the next week played during Talking Dead reveals a bad agent within the prison.  

The dead pig and the zombie on the fence with the yellow bloodshot eyes were enough foreshadowing, even though we don't make the latter connection until we see the kid open his eyes at the end. The speed of his decline did stretch credulity; even the deadliest flu pandemics took a day or so to kill their victims. But then, we don't know how long the kid was feeling ill before he complained...and if I'm willing to believe in a zombie virus, I'll spot them a super-deadly swine flu if it leads to a good story arc.  

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: October 15, 2013, 03:00:46 AM »

It's not a zombie virus, remember they all have the virus to turn into a zombie no matter what kills them, if that is what you mean Ironrod. Whatever he had just killed him, whether flu, poison, whatever.

I also failed to put together the weird eyed zombie, dead pig, and what killed the kid.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1079 on: October 15, 2013, 03:24:02 AM »

That's what I meant -- if I can believe that a virus turns dead people into zombies, I can believe in superswine flu (or a hemorrhagic fever).

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: