http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:28:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 44697 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: July 09, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 09, 2012, 05:33:49 AM

I just noticed that Amazon is taking pre-orders for the second compendium, which contains issues 49-96.  the list an October 16th release date, which would be about the time issue 103 comes out (100 is due out this Wednesday).

Might have to switch over to this from the hard cover volumes. The hard covers were around $15 a pop so had been getting those but they went up to $22 after the show got popular so haven't bought any more. They're real nice but the compendiums you get so much more bang for your buck.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 12, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »

On the Comixology app, they've cut prices 50% on issues and collections, and offer 3 limited time availability digital omnibus compilations through July 15:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/57119/comixology-announces-walking-dead-half-sale-july-10–15
All issues of The Walking Dead up through #99 will be half-off, as will the existing sixteen collections that cover first 96 issues of the series. In addition, for this week only, comiXology will be offering three digital-only omnibuses that collect issues #1-99 — making it easier than ever to jump on board this series.
Vol. 1 digital omnibus is $25.99, issues 1-33. Vol. 2 (issues 34-66) and Vol. 3 (issues 67-99) are $26.99 apiece.

I might go for it, at least the first omnibus, though readers, curiously, rate it a bit lower than the other two.

From what I can tell, the show's only up to about the start of issue 13, story-wise. So if one's worried about spoiling the show, you'd probably have to limit yourself to the smaller first couple collections (Vol 1 and 2, which get you through issue 12).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:45:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 12, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »

The one bad thing about the Comixology app is that the compendiums are not in HD, but the single issues are.  So, if you have an iPad 3, you're going to have things be a little blurrier than you'd like.  For that reason, I have been buying singles, though it looks like #41-59 are not in HD, either.  Not sure why they can't get this right.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 12, 2012, 02:14:01 PM

The one bad thing about the Comixology app is that the compendiums are not in HD, but the single issues are.  So, if you have an iPad 3, you're going to have things be a little blurrier than you'd like.  For that reason, I have been buying singles, though it looks like #41-59 are not in HD, either.  Not sure why they can't get this right.
Thanks, there isn't a way to preview the Omnibuses in the app (afik) so that's good to know. I think I've viewed samples pages in Comixology from one of the smaller collections of issues, and they seemed to look OK in New iPad (i.e., I guess not HD, but doesn't seem blurry to me). So maybe I'll just get one of the early collections to see how they look.

By collections I mean the volumes that usually collected about 6-7 issues per volume. Everything seems to be called Volume so it gets confusing to me.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:48:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

Yeah, I mean both the volumes that collect six issues together as well as the omnibus ones they put out that have 33 issues each.  In the app itself, if it has the HD label on it, it's an HD comic.  I was wondering if maybe they just forgot to label the volume, so I bought the first one and then downloaded issue 1.  There is a difference in the quality, for sure.  So, I then rebought issues 2-6 so I got the better version.  Waste of money, but now I know that no label really does mean no HD.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #725 on: July 12, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 12, 2012, 03:55:47 PM

Yeah, I mean both the volumes that collect six issues together as well as the omnibus ones they put out that have 33 issues each.  In the app itself, if it has the HD label on it, it's an HD comic.  I was wondering if maybe they just forgot to label the volume, so I bought the first one and then downloaded issue 1.  There is a difference in the quality, for sure.  So, I then rebought issues 2-6 so I got the better version.  Waste of money, but now I know that no label really does mean no HD.

That's odd. I downloaded the first 6 collections right after I got my iPad 3 back in March and I remember the app updating the versions to HD...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »

My understanding (see this ComiXology blog post) is they're gradually converting their pretty massive library over to this CMX-HD format, but it probably will take some time:

http://blog.comixology.com/2012/07/11/comixology-reader-comes-to-windows-8/
The release of Comics by comiXology for Windows 8 Release Preview follows on the heels of this spring’s Comics by comiXology 3.0 for Android release and the Comics by comiXology 3.1 for iOS release — which not only debuted new sharing features, but also the new CMX-HD file format to take advantage of the new iPad’s dramatically increased resolution.

Within five days of release, comiXology had over 1,000 comic books and graphic novels out of their over 25,000 title library converted to the new format.
I guess the question is knowing if everything will get converted, and it's just a matter of waiting for updates, or if you'll need to pay twice for the same comic to get it in HD, etc.

They'd also updated the app that's specific to getting Walking Dead stuff. But most of the previous feedback I'd read was nothing but complaints (crashing etc.), albeit some was people whining it only came with one free issue (#1).

OK, I don't pretend to be up on all this stuff.  icon_smile Apparently back at some trade show in August, the Comixology rep said the plan was to eventually convert everything they offered to the HD format, and that they wouldn't charge anything extra to update earlier-format comics:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37618
Steinberger offered more info on the company's transition to HD for the new iPad, noting that anyone who bought comics previously will be able to upgrade to the new HD versions for free. "It will be an automatic upgrade," he said, explaining that comiXology has an application review in with Apple for converting all existing comics to HD. "We have 20,000 different comics available, so it takes time." Customers will receive notices when any of their comics have been upgraded.
Now I don't have any clue if that applies to something like an omnibus only offered for a few days. So I guess if I get one, I'll be taking a leap of faith it'd get an HD update eventually.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:05:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »

did anyone catch the B&W episode?  I started watching it, and it looked decent enough, but I've seen the first episode a few times already so once the gimmick wore off I stopped watching.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 12, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »

Same. Watched 20-30 minutes of it and then turned it off.

Did watch the whole thing of Talking Dead though. The clip they showed of Season 3, with Michonne, has me worrying a bit. Its what the fan boys want, as she showed Neo like abilities in killing, but had me a bit concerned. Was kinda hoping they wouldn't make her in to the comic book version of the character and just have her be more of a well grounded bad ass.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 12, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

Looks like Omnibus 1 is now showing as HD.  And 3.  But not 2.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: July 12, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »

The new Talking Dead actually had me excited for Season 3. I did not care for season 2. With few exceptions, the episodes were a boring soap opera where character traits changing on the fly to suit whatever story line the actors were trapped in.

Thanks for the heads up on the Walking Dead Omnibus on ipad.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 12, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 12, 2012, 06:15:55 PM

Looks like Omnibus 1 is now showing as HD.  And 3.  But not 2.
Cool, well, it takes time but it's great if they're in the process of HD'ing the Omnibuses for sure, thanks.  icon_smile

I agree on the pilot episode. I totally love it but I've seen it when it premiered, on my DVD set, it's been rebroadcast to death etc. b/w alone wasn't enough to get me to sit through it again. Only maybe NOT watching it for a year or so might finally get me to want to re-visit it.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: July 13, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »

I purchased Omnibus 1 and it is in gorgeous HD. It was a 1.1 gig download to my ipad. I also purchased Omnibus 2 thinking that maybe they had left the HD tag off by accident ... it wasn't  crybaby. Hopefully it will get an upgrade. I may complete the trifecta and purchase omnibus 3 today as well. I have a pretty healthy Paypal balance burning a hole in my digital wallet.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:52:27 PM by Crusis » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 13, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »

saw a spoiler for issue 100 last night.  wasn't too pissed it got spoiled but what happens in the issue made me sad.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »

I got the first Omnibus. It's pretty interesting the divergences between the comic and TV series, particularly in terms of the TV series sometimes creating whole environs/situations and even characters not in the comic at all (at least, not so far as I've read). And there are some situations the comic dispatches in a page or two that make for almost a full TV episode.

Here's a cool banner taken by Collider at Comic-Con:
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Comic-Con-2012-image-2.jpg

*This is crazy wide-screen width...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 13, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 13, 2012, 05:13:51 PM

Here's a cool banner taken by Collider at Comic-Con:
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Comic-Con-2012-image-2.jpg

*This is crazy wide-screen width...

if you want a version without the glare look back a page  Tongue

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 13, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 13, 2012, 03:46:51 PM

I purchased Omnibus 1 and it is in gorgeous HD. It was a 1.1 gig download to my ipad. I also purchased Omnibus 2 thinking that maybe they had left the HD tag off by accident ... it wasn't  crybaby. Hopefully it will get an upgrade. I may complete the trifecta and purchase omnibus 3 today as well. I have a pretty healthy Paypal balance burning a hole in my digital wallet.

I already proved they don't leave this stuff off my accident.  Why wouldn't you learn from my experiment?  I noticed today that more volumes are HD.  In fact, the ones that aren't are the ones that contain the single issues that aren't HD yet, either, which are also contained in Omnibus 2.  I think once they get those singles updated, they'll get everything else update.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #737 on: July 13, 2012, 06:24:28 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 13, 2012, 06:19:45 PM

Quote from: Crusis on July 13, 2012, 03:46:51 PM

I already proved they don't leave this stuff off my accident.  Why wouldn't you learn from my experiment? 

There were experiments?!! Curses! I wore the wrong jacket today.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 14, 2012, 04:19:18 AM »

season 3 trailer! (needless to say SPOILERS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9_lkap-uFA&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:24:27 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 14, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

Ok. That was a damn good trailer.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2012, 01:39:43 AM »

I went ahead and got the Vol. 2 and 3 comic omnibuses. Omnibus #3 is now listed as HD, so they do seem to be progresing on those conversions. I think that's enough for now. I got about 98 issues to catch up on.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »

OK, one comic-tv diff I wasn't aware of from early issues was that (Maybe a spoiler if you haven't read the comics and hope to later on):  icon_smile
Spoiler for Hiden:
Dale (!) and Andrea (!!) were Doing It!  Fabulous Ewwwww.  icon_eek I can see why Darabont and co. Changed that to more of a surrogate family relationship.
Only thing that worries me about impending TV series' seasons is they've already killed off so many of my favorite characters.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:24:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »

Well killing off the major characters is what makes the TV and comic so great. You never feel anyone is safe. When T-Dog died you had to feel a bit something for the guy. Even though he was a behind the scenes type of guy, moving things around and throwing down a line here and there, he was an integral part of the group so to loose him was pretty maj...

Wait. He's still alive?
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: July 16, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »

Killing main characters and Zombie-anything seem to go hand in hand. I love it!

The trailer was WOW! But I'm trying not to get excited because I fully expect this to turn into a season 2 snooze fest. See, if I keep my expectations low, I can always be pleasantly surprised. Honestly, what other post-apoc shows look even half as good as a mediocre season of Walking Dead?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 17, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »

Just finished S1 on Netflix and enjoyed it...any word on when S2 is being released or should I go the iTunes/Amazon-on-demand route?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 17, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 17, 2012, 06:49:26 PM

Just finished S1 on Netflix and enjoyed it...any word on when S2 is being released or should I go the iTunes/Amazon-on-demand route?

the season is set to hit blu ray/dvd on August 28th, not sure when it will hit Netflix instant.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 18, 2012, 01:04:50 AM »

Where are you guys finding the Omnibus(es?) in the app?? All I'm finding is the collections of like 6 issues in one.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:33:42 AM by rickfc » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 18, 2012, 04:08:48 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 18, 2012, 01:04:50 AM

Where are you guys finding the Omnibus(es?) in the app?? All I'm finding is the collections of like 6 issues in one.

They were only up from the 11th to the 15th of July to coincide with the sale they were running.  They've since been removed.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 22, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »

EW has a big cover story coming up, with multiple covers for the print magazine:

This Week's Cover: An exclusive sneak peek at season 3 of 'The Walking Dead'
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/08/22/this-weeks-cover-an-exclusive-sneak-peek-at-season-3-of-the-walking-dead/

*"That's not a knife. THAT's a knife."  icon_smile

I also saw something yesterday on Flipboard about the actor playing the Governor's lieutenant, so to speak. I'll try to track down that link later.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:23:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 23, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »

My nice and nephew met a cast member (spoiler?) over the summer.  He's living in their neighborhood south of Atlanta (same place that 'Shane' was living in last year).  He bought some Lemonade from my Nephew (he was running a stand) and posed for pictures.  My nephew gave him the bunny ears behind his head for the picture...kids got balls!  He was super cool according to my sister.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:12:43 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: August 23, 2012, 08:00:24 PM »

Quote from: morlac on August 23, 2012, 06:02:48 PM

My nice and nephew met a cast member (spoiler?) over the summer.  He's living in their neighborhood south of Atlanta (same place that 'Shane' was living in last year).  He bought some Lemonade from my Nephew (he was running a stand) and posed for pictures.  My nephew gave him the bunny ears behind his head for the picture...kids got balls!  He was super cool according to my sister.

That is awesome. But how did he grow the hand back?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 23, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »

From all accounts, Rooker is just an all around decent guy.  That makes it even funnier when you look at his movie villain past...including Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:38 AM »

I recently went to the comic book store to pick up about a month's worth of comics, been too busy to keep up.  Comic Book Guy says, "do you know about issue 100?" and I was like "uhhh, no...?"   And he just says "ohhhhhh" so I say "guess I better hurry and read it huh?"

'Nuff said.

ninja
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 25, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »

Received my EW issue in the mail Friday. It's just the cover I wanted! (#4 of 4). I cropped it a bit to keep out my super secret mailing address, even if every junk mailer on planet earth already knows it.  icon_razz

Very cool 2-page spread for the mega cover story (it's labeled Spoilers, although I didn't feel it was anything earth shattering per se):

They promise many new zombie FX this season, including one FX dummy with replaceable heads.  icon_smile They have a short sidebar on the upcoming Season 2 BluRay/DVD set. Most promising seems to be deleted scenes from a discarded season 2 opener that would've taken place in the nursing home where Glenn's held hostage in season 1.

Rooker's amusingly cryptic as to whether Merle and his brother become allies/enemies, and whether he's with/against The Governor. In real life, Rooker apparently lost 29 pounds on a special diet over the 9 weeks before filming started, so he'll probably look a bit different. I can't tell if he did that because the role called for it, or if he just felt he'd gotten overweight in real life.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:54:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 25, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 23, 2012, 08:00:24 PM

Quote from: morlac on August 23, 2012, 06:02:48 PM

That is awesome. But how did he grow the hand back?

It was some damn good lemonade.  Funny enough he didn't have enough cash to pay for it but my nephew let him have a cup anyway.  He came back a hour later and gave him a $20.

morlac00 on PSN
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 25, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »

Switched to DirecTV.... Fuck Dish, not missing this.... Icing on the cake too I got a free season of NFL Sunday Ticket.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 30, 2012, 06:28:42 AM »

uh-oh... Hershel arrested for DUI.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 30, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on August 25, 2012, 08:18:20 PM

Switched to DirecTV.... Fuck Dish, not missing this.... Icing on the cake too I got a free season of NFL Sunday Ticket.

I'm locked into Dish for another year, and I am going to raise holy hell if they don't have AMC back by October. I suspect they will catch a ton of shit for it. Breaking Bad and Hell on Wheals is bad enough, wait till the outrage over not having the #1 cable show on TV.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 30, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »

It seems like Dish has their feet firmly planted on this one.  I doubt they'll change their mind anytime soon. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 31, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 30, 2012, 04:25:16 PM

It seems like Dish has their feet firmly planted on this one.  I doubt they'll change their mind anytime soon. 

Yeah, I actually logged into my Dish account yesterday and opened up a chat box with a customer service Rep. I should have copied and pasted it to save it. But it went something like this: Dish Rep - "Sir we are the good guys, we are saving you money, AMC is trying to rip you off, they have commercials in their movies and all of their programming can be found online". My response - "That's not a good excuse, I don't care about commercials, I care about watching Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheals, and the Walking Dead, and my internet connection is so slow that it's not practical for me to watch them online. If you don't offer AMC then I will have to go back to Directv."

Shortly after that the customer service rep just disconnected from the chat. He didn't even say goodbye or ask if there was anything else he could help me with. I have a feeling they are going to get brutalized over this one.

I live in the country, I literally have only two options for cable programming, Dish or Directv. Everyone in my position should be pissed at Dish.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: