http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 03:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 43614 times)
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: February 25, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »

I know its dumb to complain about, but everytime I have been at a farm... there has been at least one other farm within 5 or 10 miles.

it seems weird to me that this is THE ONLY farm that is inhabitable.  going there for medical help made sense, but after the first dustup between the two groups, why didn't the old man say... go down a few miles to the ol'Johnson farm (it could use some fixing up but is defensible and you can do some farming while your ol'lady pops out a future zombie etc.)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 25, 2012, 05:23:30 AM »

the Governor has been cast:

(spoilered because some people may not want to know who to expect for the part)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:27:36 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 26, 2012, 06:02:06 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 24, 2012, 09:20:43 PM

Quote from: Punisher on February 23, 2012, 05:25:38 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on February 15, 2012, 03:23:33 PM

Dixon is so popular, I've seen some places calling for him to get spun off into his own show. I don't exactly know what that would be about. He hunts for a half hour and whittles new arrowheads, in between providing gardening and flower-picking tips?  icon_razz
Maybe he could find his brother and we follow them as they roam the world getting into crazy capers that go completly wrong, but somehow allow them to come out histerically on top...
It could be be like The Odd Couple.

"On xx date, Merle Dixon was chained on a roof. With help of a tossed hacksaw, he later freed himself. Deep down, he knew the rest of the Walking Dead gang was right, but he also knew that someday, he would return. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the pickup truck of his brother, Daryl Dixon.

Sometime earlier, the Walking Dead gang had thrown Daryl out, requesting that he never return.

"Can two brothers, a screeching bigot and an archery-loving redneck who loves flowers, share a pickup truck without driving each other crazy?"

[cue the Odd Couple TV theme]
Hilarity ensues!  icon_lol I kind of see Merle as Oscar, and Daryl as Felix.

I can see Neil Simon rolling over and over and over in his grave now...
Not quite what I was alluding to, but that could work...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:09 AM »

That was zombiriffic.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: February 27, 2012, 06:43:26 AM »

Great episode. A lot of gory action, old wounds getting reopened and a hard decision coming up.  I almost expected Rick to take off for a second.  The look on Shane's face was perfect. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 27, 2012, 03:32:16 PM »

I gotta believe in real life that Jon Bernthal (who does boxing to keep fit) would wipe up the floor with Andrew Lincoln, though by all accounts they've become great friends and more than likely were laughing about that fight scene once the cameras were turned off. icon_smile Still, it was good to see Rick assert himself.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 27, 2012, 06:43:26 AM

Great episode. A lot of gory action, old wounds getting reopened and a hard decision coming up.  I almost expected Rick to take off for a second.  The look on Shane's face was perfect. 

Yeah, loved the re-emergence of more zombies the last couple of episodes.  And the drama between the leads was palpable.  Rick and Shane have the most chemistry on this show hands down.  Next would probably be the old lady and Daryl.  I keep hoping for both couples to get it on lol.  Also loved seeing Lori get dressed down.  I love the actress, but I really don't like the way they've been writing her lately.  She just keeps doing annoying things and then doing her judgmental "queen bee" routine.

One question, what happened with the boy's leg?  He seemed pretty spry for someone whose leg was just impaled and then ripped off a spike lol.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »

escpecially since herschel seemed to believe that doing what rick did would result in the muscles on that leg being largely destroyed, making it utterly useless. 

ah well, it's not grey's anatomy. 

..thank god.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: February 28, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »

That bothered me, too. I figured the kid would need months on crutches, or at least weeks to hobble around. But there was no indication that any time had elapsed between episodes.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 28, 2012, 03:15:14 AM

That bothered me, too. I figured the kid would need months on crutches, or at least weeks to hobble around. But there was no indication that any time had elapsed between episodes.

as far as i can tell, it's the next day.  really glaring if you think about it too much.  I can overlook a flaw like this once in a while, especially considering how liberal they are with other characters deaths.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:26 AM »

We need a poll on if Shane will die before the end of the season. My vote is yes.. watching next week's preview their feud clearly isn't over yet. Before the end of the season my guess is Shane tries to pull one of his typical moves, maybe try to kill the kid they captured or shoot another zombie when others are nearby and Rick tries to stop him, in the process unintentionally killing Shane. Shane clutches Rick's shirt and his last dying words are "Your wife gave me great pleasure and every time you kiss her lips - remember what they were wrapped around." Rick looks over to Lori who's too far to hear what he said, but is licking her lips as Rick raises a "WTF" eye brow.
The rest of the group look on, speechless, and the camera fades out with talk of Season 3.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 28, 2012, 07:41:30 AM »

shazbot!  was going to fire up the DVR to see last nights episode and for some reason it's not there  mad  oh well, they'll encore it before the new episode next Sunday.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 28, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »

Just judging from interviews with Robert Kirkman
Spoiler for Hiden:
who loves Bernthal's take on the character, and the new storytelling possibilities from Shane not dying as early as he did in the comics
, I don't see the Shane character going anywhere. I do think if he's going to stick around for ensuing seasons, he'll have to evolve in some way. He can't solely be this glowering, shoot-first, pine for Rick's family guy forever, or the schtick will get old, so to speak, imho.

Speaking of which, he gave his weekly Q&A on EW:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/27/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-18-miles-out/

Apparently season 3 will be a bit longer at 16 episodes.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:22:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 28, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »

I think this week's episode was meant as a turning point for Shane's character.   The significance of Shane seeing a lone zombie walking through a field on two occasions has to hold some clue as to what's ahead for him.  It could either mean that he realizes he's unable to fit in and needs to be alone in this new world, or he finally realizes he's got to change his ways or he'll end up like that walker.   I would like to think that Rick's heroic actions have proven to Shane that putting the life of others ahead of your own isn't a sign of weakness and that he's reconsidering his path.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 28, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

That's an neat take on it. I just took seeing the lone zombie with minimal interest as just part of the new norm. I do hope Shane stays the same as he's more interesting that way and such an internal threat to the group.

BTW, what happened to T-Dog? They must have some type of plan for him otherwise they would have killed him off by now since he doesn't have a story this season and is barely in any scenes.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »

whoa...good point.  i don't recall seeing t-dog in the last few episodes at all.  icon_confused

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »

How gory are the series? I haven't seen a single one, since I' not a fan of the George Romero's zombie style movies - I do enjoy Resident Evil and that style.

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

Both of those franchises you mention are pretty gory.  I would say equally so.   icon_confused

But to answer your question:  WD is probably the goriest television show I've ever seen.  I'm still surprised at what they get away with sometimes.

...in other words, I love it.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 28, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 28, 2012, 03:24:03 PM

I think this week's episode was meant as a turning point for Shane's character.   The significance of Shane seeing a lone zombie walking through a field on two occasions has to hold some clue as to what's ahead for him.  It could either mean that he realizes he's unable to fit in and needs to be alone in this new world, or he finally realizes he's got to change his ways or he'll end up like that walker.   I would like to think that Rick's heroic actions have proven to Shane that putting the life of others ahead of your own isn't a sign of weakness and that he's reconsidering his path.

I really had hoped that was the direction they would go, but based on the preview (where he says something to Andrea about changing leadership), I'm more inclined to believe they are going the route corruptrelic described.  That actually kind of annoyed me, because I'd really hoped this episode was as you described a turning point, but that preview scene made it look like he went straight back to crazy Shane.  Now maybe they are going to make them split off into factions, Team Shane and Team Rick, that could be interesting I suppose.  Or....

Spoiler for Hiden:
More likely they'll go the comic book route....

Comic spoiler:   
Spoiler for Hiden:
....and have Carl kill/shoot Shane in the season finale.  BAM!

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 28, 2012, 08:05:33 PM

Comic spoiler:  
Spoiler for Hiden:
....and have Carl kill/shoot Shane in the season finale.  BAM!

Spoiler for Hiden:
If so, let's continue the trend of changing things up from the comic and have Lori standing right in front of Shane.  That or have Lori accidentally trip and fall into the path of the bullet first. Barring either of these events, let's have Shane's dead body fall onto Lori, violently dashing her head on a nearby rock in the process.

..then andrea's top should fall off.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: February 29, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 28, 2012, 07:59:48 PM

Both of those franchises you mention are pretty gory.  I would say equally so.   icon_confused

But to answer your question:  WD is probably the goriest television show I've ever seen.  I'm still surprised at what they get away with sometimes.

I'd say that the gore is presented matter-of-factly. The camera neither flinches from nor dwells lovingly on flying giblets. I am not a fan of gory movies or games and TWD does repulse me sometimes, but it does so to emphasize situations and character traits, not just to be revolting. That said, a good share of their budget goes into creating realistic gore so they certainly aren't shy about showing it.

I had a very hard time convincing my wife to give this show a chance because she was afraid it would be gross. And she does exclaim "oh, GROSS!" at least once every episode...but she's probably a bigger fan than I am now.

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »

MAJOR SPOILER ahead.

Spolier contains link to a snafu that was posted and subsequently removed from the AMC store website about the release of Season 2 DVD details.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: March 02, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »

Quite a dramatic post for a link I'd say.    icon_smile

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 02, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 29, 2012, 12:54:11 AM

Quote from: hepcat on February 28, 2012, 07:59:48 PM

I'd say that the gore is presented matter-of-factly. The camera neither flinches from nor dwells lovingly on flying giblets. I am not a fan of gory movies or games and TWD does repulse me sometimes, but it does so to emphasize situations and character traits, not just to be revolting. That said, a good share of their budget goes into creating realistic gore so they certainly aren't shy about showing it.

I had a very hard time convincing my wife to give this show a chance because she was afraid it would be gross. And she does exclaim "oh, GROSS!" at least once every episode...but she's probably a bigger fan than I am now.

I think the "matter-of-factly" description is pretty spot-on.  I don't believe the gore in the show is presented simply to be gratuitous, but to demonstrate the reality of the situation in an unflinching manner.  

Though I have noticed that they seem to use similar "squishing" sounds when people are cutting/preparing their food as the sounds walkers make when eating.  Case in point, when Lori is cutting the chicken in the kitchen during this most recent episode.  Not sure if it's a creative choice, but on a few occasions I've noticed this and been somewhat disgusted by the sounds.  Perhaps to show that humans eating animals is comparable to walkers eating animals as well.  Ew.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 02, 2012, 04:06:36 PM

Quite a dramatic post for a link I'd say.    icon_smile

I am nothing if not  dramatic   icon_razz

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 02, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »

I knew Shane was... A WOMAN!  Fabulous Damn reverse-Crying Game twists! Now Rick and Darryl have to vie for her affection!

I saw the Walking Dead board game at Barnes & Noble yesterday. I wonder how that works...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 02, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »

Quote from: Roman on March 02, 2012, 04:01:43 PM

MAJOR SPOILER ahead.

Spolier contains link to a snafu that was posted and subsequently removed from the AMC store website about the release of Season 2 DVD details.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Damn it, why the hell did I click on that link..  eek

Don't do it people!!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 02, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 02, 2012, 08:20:00 PM

I knew Shane was... A WOMAN!  

and she's also a robot!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 02, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 02, 2012, 08:42:29 PM

and she's also a robot!

And Charlie Sheen's joining the cast. Winning!!!!!!

Obviously I'm kidding... right?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:52:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 02, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 02, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 02, 2012, 08:42:29 PM

and she's also a robot!

And Charlie Sheen's joining the cast. Winning!!!!!!

Obviously I'm kidding... right?

I don't think they're permitted to use real zombies primarily for protection of the living cast. 

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 02, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »

That means that Lori and Andrea are carpet-munchers! This show gets better and better!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:32:28 PM by Roman » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »

With tonight's upcoming episode we only have 3 episodes left to complete Season 2.  Then we go back to waiting once again until the release of Season 3.   icon_mad

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 04, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 04, 2012, 09:23:59 PM

With tonight's upcoming episode we only have 3 episodes left to complete Season 2.  Then we go back to waiting once again until the release of Season 3.   icon_mad

at least the wait won't be as long as the one between season 1 and season 2.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 05, 2012, 04:17:48 AM »

I was channel surfing and missed the Big Twist tonight.... such a BIG spoiler I've nested a Spoiler Code within a Spoiler Code   paranoid

Did not see
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Dale (!)  
getting offed coming, not at all.  icon_eek
Spoiler for Hiden:
and certainly not by Daryl (!!), albeit a Mercy Killing. I wonder if the actor playing Dale hoped to get onto Darabont's Noir show too since he's an old favorite of Darabont's dating back to The Green Mile. Felt like a sucker punch after all the "Shane will die" speculation. Now I'm wondering if that's still planned, or was it a red herring all along?

I would opine though that the setup for that involving
Spoiler for Hiden:
Carl the kid makes no sense to me. Why is the kid allowed to wander off so soon after getting shot and almost dying? Why is the Kid screwing around with a lone walker in the woods, other than as a convenient set up for the later disaster? I just didn't buy that sequence at all, and don't think the screenplay writer gave any sort of sensible plot-fodder for the kid being in that situation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:28:55 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 05, 2012, 06:44:59 AM »

I was lamenting the fact that the moralizing was getting SO heavy-handed tonight...

...and then the ending made up for it! eek
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: March 05, 2012, 06:48:52 AM »

Wasn't expecting that at all.  At least not until the last scene started.  Then it was obvious.  Up to that point,  I figured he would just do it himself.

Next week's bit looks good.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 05, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »

Simply awful episode.  This show is headed downhill fast.

Spoiler for Hiden:

It's the level of stupidity that's starting to drive me nuts, as well as the lost opportunities in character development.

The stupidity in this episode comes mainly from Carl. First of all, how does a 10 year old kid end up wandering in the woods by himself in a middle of a zombie apocalypse? As a parent, I know my 12 year old would be confined to the house and the front porch. Then the stupidity of with playing with the zombie, Carl being disciplined by Shane and trying to turn Carl into some cold-blooded killer. It's all dumb. Is there anyone at this point NOT wishing he had been killed earlier?

Dale getting killed was even more dumb, though I can forgive some of that. Maybe his mind wasn't in the right place due to the distraction of the impending execution and that's how he was taken by surprise. That's explainable. But the whole ripping open his intestines? Did zombies suddenly develop super-strength or something? WTF?

Then there's the numerous lost opportunities with character development or just lousy character development. Let's start with Andrea. Could they make her any more wishy-washy? One minute she's conspiring with Shane and sounding like Xena, Warrior Princess. The next she's all soft, changing her mind and thinking there's a "better way" than killing the kid. Come on...pick a direction!

Here was a perfect chance to reintegrate T-Dog into the group. We haven't heard him speak in weeks. We could have had him speak up and become a moral compass during the group meeting, something this group will need with the absence of Dale. We could have heard him speak against the execution. We could have heard him speak up for the execution. Something! But no...he's just sitting in the background.

And they missed yet another opportunity with Glenn and Maggie. We get this "passing of the torch" scene (out of nowhere, I might add), and then when we cut to the group meeting, Glenn is sitting opposite the room from Maggie? Again, we could have seen him next to her, talking about execution and then we might get the impression that he's trying to protect her with his decision. But no, on the other side of the room, hunched over, he just came off like a little bitch.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: March 05, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »

I actually agree with everything you've said except for the first part.  I don't think the show is going bad on us,even though this week was a bit lacking.  I did wonder why they bothered to show T-dog at all when he barely had a chance to talk.

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 05, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

I would suggest that what we saw of Carl in last night's episode is setting the stage for what those of us who have read the comic already know about. Having Carl execute his actions early on in the show - to mimic the comic - would be harder to swallow in terms of character development etc.
He was showing a general detachment with his behaviour and actions last night and I think that what I wrote above dove tails beautifully into the spoiler that I posted above a few days ago.

Spoiler if you want more info to what I allude to above:
Spoiler for Hiden:
In the comic - very early on I might add Carl kills Shayne in the woods when he fears for his dad's safety
Something to think about??

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 05, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »

Quote from: Roman on March 05, 2012, 02:37:28 PM

I would suggest that what we saw of Carl in last night's episode is setting the stage for what those of us who have read the comic already know about. Having Carl execute his actions early on in the show - to mimic the comic - would be harder to swallow in terms of character development etc.
He was showing a general detachment with his behaviour and actions last night and I think that what I wrote above dove tails beautifully into the spoiler that I posted above a few days ago.

Oh, I realize that.  But they're going about it in a very ham handed way IMO, not to mention the sheer stupidity with Carl being able to wander off by himself in the first place.  How the hell does that even happen? 

But my bigger problem is the awful character development - or lack thereof.  I loved the first season enough that I own the DVD set.  But as soon as they hit the farm, the show hit a wall.  Characters are now whatever the writers need them to be at that moment, without regard to what they were before.  You see this a ton with Andrea, Lori, Carl, Glenn and Darryl - can anyone really pin them down?  Situational unpredictability is fine, but character inconsistency is a cardinal sin and the Walking Dead has committed that sin virtually every single episode this season.  Seriously, how bad does it have to get when even Penny Arcade is making jokes about the fanbase rooting for the zombies?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: