http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 06:03:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 42412 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 28, 2011, 05:27:58 PM

and pretty much everything else you mention except the latter seasons of MI-5.

does it jump the shark?  I've only seen the first season so far.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 28, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »

I wish the story would pick up. It's really dragging at this point. Shane and Daryl are the only characters now I'm interested in. Rick the limp-wristed voice of reason is boring me. Bring in zombie Merle and Otis. Maybe the whole next season will be devoted to them being holed up in an apartment complex while they look for feminine hygiene products for Lori.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 28, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2011, 05:44:00 PM

Quote from: hepcat on November 28, 2011, 05:27:58 PM

and pretty much everything else you mention except the latter seasons of MI-5.

does it jump the shark?  I've only seen the first season so far.

I thought so...but only around season 3 or 4 when they start rotating the cast. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 28, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »

I'm not going to say Frank Darabont is some sort of genius savant and the show won't survive without him. But I just can't see Frank signing off on some of the sometimes inane goings-on through this first half of season 2. Would Frank have signed off on the pointless "well" scene, or the domestic squabbling between certain characters, or that whole pregenancy test farce?

Now if the comics had a ton of issues set on Herschel's farm, I guess we just have to dig in and make do. But frankly, if Our Gang ends up stick on the farm forever, it basically becomes "Gilligan's Island with zombies." Perhaps with Rick as the Skipper and Shane as Gilligan. "GILLIGAN!!! Stop shooting the walking dead!" icon_razz

For my part, I still enjoy the show. I still like being excited to get in front of the TV at 9 p.m. Not even the SWTOR beta could keep me from doing that yesterday.  icon_smile But I'd rather it go back to being an "on the road" show. I'm not sure the comic book will allow for that. I guess I'd rather the show be more like The Fugitive or even the Bill Bixby '70s Hulk TV show (different location, new characters each week; not Lou Ferrigno in green  icon_smile) rather than have it molt in one location until many of us are just tired of the same location and same characters whining about the same things week after week.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 28, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »

The plotting in the comic is actually pretty similar to the show, to be fair.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: November 28, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 28, 2011, 09:57:26 PM

I'm not going to say Frank Darabont is some sort of genius savant and the show won't survive without him. But I just can't see Frank signing off on some of the sometimes inane goings-on through this first half of season 2. Would Frank have signed off on the pointless "well" scene, or the domestic squabbling between certain characters, or that whole pregenancy test farce?

Now if the comics had a ton of issues set on Herschel's farm, I guess we just have to dig in and make do. But frankly, if Our Gang ends up stick on the farm forever, it basically becomes "Gilligan's Island with zombies." Perhaps with Rick as the Skipper and Shane as Gilligan. "GILLIGAN!!! Stop shooting the walking dead!" icon_razz

The comics spent about 3-4 issues at the farm IIRC, nothing quite as extensive as what the show has done, and without the Sophie plotline.  I agree they dragged it a little too long but last night's mid-season finale was pretty dramatic and I thought a worthy payoff.

The well scene wasn't pointless - as I mentioned before, Maggie's reaction set things up for the barn sequence.  On top of that they use it as motivation for Glenn's shift from being just "walker bait" to taking care of himself and her.  Clearly the writers don't consider forehshadowing, character development, or plot hints "pointless".  The domestic squabbling - not sure what you are referring to there.  But it's a TV drama about people under extreme duress stuck in close proximity every day, so having them all get along stress-free every day would be kind of unrealistic, wouldn't it?

Ultimately you can see that because of money they made some adjustments, and not all for the best.  They had to fill more episodes than they originally planned on (I thought I read this somewhere) and they can't just keep jumping to new major set pieces.  It would likely be too costly and wouldn't follow the comic well either.  The comic goes from one major location to another and the group (or what's left of it) tend to try to make it home; the next big one likely being a prison - though the show keeps mentioning a "fort" so maybe they'll do that next.  To me it made sense that the farm get more attention than it did in the comics, it was like a magical safe haven in the middle of all the horrible-ness, so why wouldn't they choose to stay?  In fact I'd find it more believable if someone just killed Herschel and they set up camp there.

One of the ongoing themes of the comic is how they choose to survive, what they are willing to do, and if they should even bother trying to establish a "home" in the face of the craziness.  I think the TV show is echoing that extremely well.  My biggest complaint is that they are making Shane too crazy - his point of view is actually much more rational but they seem to want to play him crazy/emotional.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:02:38 PM by rittchard » Logged
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 30, 2011, 05:07:51 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 28, 2011, 10:58:46 PM

My biggest complaint is that they are making Shane too crazy - his point of view is actually much more rational but they seem to want to play him crazy/emotional.

Spoiler for Hiden:
IIRC, Shane wasn't even around this far in the comic and definately was crazy/emotional at his demise...
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »

That's a huge spoiler to not put any warning as to what it would be about, Punisher.

For those that do not want future spoilers from the comic, do not read it.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 30, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »

ya, that sucked. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 30, 2011, 06:05:07 PM

That's a huge spoiler to not put any warning as to what it would be about, Punisher.

That spoiler is the Walking Dead equivalent of saying that Darth Vader is Luke's father, I thought everyone knew that by now.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 30, 2011, 07:51:21 PM

That spoiler is the Walking Dead equivalent of saying that Darth Vader is Luke's father, I thought everyone knew that by now.

Dammit! Thanks for ruining my weekend plans.  icon_mad

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 30, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 30, 2011, 05:07:51 AM

Quote from: rittchard on November 28, 2011, 10:58:46 PM

My biggest complaint is that they are making Shane too crazy - his point of view is actually much more rational but they seem to want to play him crazy/emotional.

Spoiler for Hiden:
IIRC, Shane wasn't even around this far in the comic and definately was crazy/emotional at his demise...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The real spoiler is not that Shane dies, but who kills him smile

You really wanna know?

Spoiler for Hiden:
CARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 30, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 30, 2011, 06:05:07 PM

The awesomest thing about the comic book is that every time you think they just can't go any further in doing something absolutely horrible, they just.... do.  The newest issues are a bit more calmed down, not that more terrible things didn't just happen.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 30, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »

Why would I know when I've not read the comics at all? Oh that's right, from people on forums spoiling it and for some reason being incapable of hinting what their spoiler is about Tongue.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 30, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 30, 2011, 09:44:41 PM

Why would I know when I've not read the comics at all? Oh that's right, from people on forums spoiling it and for some reason being incapable of hinting what their spoiler is about Tongue.

+1
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 02, 2011, 01:57:01 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 30, 2011, 09:47:38 PM

+1
I disagree... It said spoiler... spoiler could mean anything that spoilers anything related to the discussion... Do we need to make spoilers about spoilers? I think we need a ruling on this...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: December 02, 2011, 03:12:35 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on December 02, 2011, 01:57:01 AM

Quote from: naednek on November 30, 2011, 09:47:38 PM

+1
I disagree... It said spoiler... spoiler could mean anything that spoilers anything related to the discussion... Do we need to make spoilers about spoilers? I think we need a ruling on this...

While I agree with your argument, I wish I hadn't clicked on it. My bad, I guess.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 02, 2011, 08:18:33 AM »

No you don't need to make spoilers about spoilers. You need a little common courtesy and thoughtfulness, just a little... enough to say, "spoiler from the comic about what's coming up." Instead you put a spoiler in there that multiple people did not want to see and you gave no idea about what the spoiler would entail.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 02, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »

I try to live by the rule that if the title of the thread contains the word "spoiler" i don't worry too much about giving something away.  If it doesn't, I tend to be a little too cautious and put almost anything I think may be something folks would enjoy finding out on their own into spoiler tags. 

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 02, 2011, 08:18:33 AM

No you don't need to make spoilers about spoilers. You need a little common courtesy and thoughtfulness, just a little... enough to say, "spoiler from the comic about what's coming up." Instead you put a spoiler in there that multiple people did not want to see and you gave no idea about what the spoiler would entail.

Spoiler not about the Comic book.

Spoiler for Hiden:

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: December 02, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »

I thought we resolved the spoiler issue pages ago when I complained about them. It was decided that you shouldn't come into the thread unless you've seen that week's episode. All spoiler tags would be used for the comics because they could diverge from the TV show.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 02, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 02, 2011, 08:18:33 AM

Well to be accurate...
(Note. Comic spoiler)
Spoiler for Hiden:
This ISN'T something that is "coming up". This is something that happened early in the comic series I think... In fact, I am pretty sure Shane never made it to Hershels farm in the comic....
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 02, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 02, 2011, 02:53:19 PM

I try to live by the rule that if the title of the thread contains the word "spoiler" i don't worry too much about giving something away.  If it doesn't, I tend to be a little too cautious and put almost anything I think may be something folks would enjoy finding out on their own into spoiler tags. 

See, when reading this thread I'm thinking we're talking about Season 2 of the TV show based on what was aired already.  Not something about a future episode or the comics itself.  So when reading Punisher's spoiler I thought he was going to talk about that episode.  Instead he brings something from an outside the discussion that has the potential to ruin a main plot of the story.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 02, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on December 02, 2011, 03:00:20 PM

I thought we resolved the spoiler issue pages ago when I complained about them. It was decided that you shouldn't come into the thread unless you've seen that week's episode. All spoiler tags would be used for the comics because they could diverge from the TV show.

If you would like to discuss the comic series, then create a seperate thread since it's not the same as the TV series.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the spoilers are regarding the TV show since the thread title directly refers to that.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »

Quote from: naednek on December 02, 2011, 04:38:19 PM

If you would like to discuss the comic series, then create a seperate thread since it's not the same as the TV series.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the spoilers are regarding the TV show since the thread title directly refers to that.

This. I've never read the comic, but I watch the TV series. Or make your spoilers clearer:

...blah blah blah, but in the comic...

Spoiler for Hiden:
zombies get killed

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 02, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

Quote from: naednek on December 02, 2011, 04:36:48 PM

Quote from: hepcat on December 02, 2011, 02:53:19 PM

See, when reading this thread I'm thinking we're talking about Season 2 of the TV show based on what was aired already.  Not something about a future episode or the comics itself.  So when reading Punisher's spoiler I thought he was going to talk about that episode.  Instead he brings something from an outside the discussion that has the potential to ruin a main plot of the story.

this thread doesn't contain the word "spoiler" in the title so I'm actually agreeing with you.  icon_wink

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 03, 2011, 04:00:01 AM »

Quote from: naednek on December 02, 2011, 04:38:19 PM

If you would like to discuss the comic series, then create a seperate thread since it's not the same as the TV series.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the spoilers are regarding the TV show since the thread title directly refers to that.

I guess I can kind of see your point although, this thread has delved into the comic comparison... and that is probably inevitable.... I guess I can try to remember to label my spoilers comic or show... I don't think we need a different thread though.... The spoiler I posted was directly related to a comparison to the 2.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 03, 2011, 04:07:07 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 28, 2011, 03:09:00 AM

Wow,  not that was a mid-season finale. I can't believe we don't get another episode until February.  disgust

And if you
Spoiler for Hiden:
were sick of Sophie's storyline, they fixed THAT, huh? icon_eek

Comic Spoiler!!!!!  ninja

Spoiler for Hiden:
Can't remember the details, but I am pretty sure Sophie lasted a lot longer in the comic... Even into the prison.... I was a little surprised at that... Plus I wasn't even sick of the Sophie story yet... what seems like a long time to us was only about a week in characters time right? Not really sure though...
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 03, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 28, 2011, 07:15:44 AM

yeah, no complaints here.  damn.  they managed to resolve the first big hanging thread for this season and in an expected and yet, still wrenching to watch. 

Great point and a sign of a great show.  I think most of us (who have not read the comic) thooght they would find Sophie zombified and yet they managed to still it do it in a shocking and gut wrenching way.  Rick putting her down was also a surprise and showed why he is the leader.  Hell even Shane balked at it and we all know that dude is EVIL!  slywink

morlac00 on PSN
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 03, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 03, 2011, 02:24:34 PM

yeah, no complaints here.  damn.  they managed to resolve the first big hanging thread for this season and in an expected and yet, still wrenching to watch. 

Great point and a sign of a great show.  I think most of us (who have not read the comic) thooght they would find Sophie zombified and yet they managed to still it do it in a shocking and gut wrenching way.  Rick putting her down was also a surprise and showed why he is the leader.  Hell even Shane balked at it and we all know that dude is EVIL!  slywink

Yeah, great way to end the mid season (wtf February?!?).  To me, its a sign of a great show when, even when I already suspected whats going to happen I'm still sitting there, mouth agape in awe of the awesomeness.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »

Quote from: Ragnarok on December 03, 2011, 03:33:55 PM

Quote from: morlac on December 03, 2011, 02:24:34 PM

Yeah, great way to end the mid season (wtf February?!?).  To me, its a sign of a great show when, even when I already suspected whats going to happen I'm still sitting there, mouth agape in awe of the awesomeness.

Even when I saw a replay of the episode, having already seen it prior, I was still completely tense, gripping the couch as the show reached it's climax.  My wife even said that despite knowing what was going to happen she still was about to scream, "Oh my god!

This is easily my favorite current series on television by far.  I've been enjoying Hell on Wheels, but I've missed a few episodes and don't feel that irresistible compulsion to watch right away.  And I lost all interest whatsoever in American Horror Story.  For me they failed miserably at what could have been a truly compelling series (at least for me).   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 03, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on December 03, 2011, 04:07:07 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 28, 2011, 03:09:00 AM

Wow,  not that was a mid-season finale. I can't believe we don't get another episode until February.  disgust

And if you
Spoiler for Hiden:
were sick of Sophie's storyline, they fixed THAT, huh? icon_eek

Comic Spoiler!!!!!  ninja

Spoiler for Hiden:
Can't remember the details, but I am pretty sure Sophie lasted a lot longer in the comic... Even into the prison.... I was a little surprised at that... Plus I wasn't even sick of the Sophie story yet... what seems like a long time to us was only about a week in characters time right? Not really sure though...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm up to #84 in the comic and she's still alive, although her family situation has changed considerably since the start of the story...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 03, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »

I can't seem to use spoiler tags so I'll be cryptic when I say this.  I just was in a Chapters and managed to read half of the first Walking Dead comic and, wow what a difference in at least one character line already.  I read up to that one part mentioned earlier and was like "woah!  Already? And like that?"  I kind of like where the tv series is taking the character instead.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 29, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »

I did receive the official Walking Dead Chronicles: The Official Companion (to Season 1) book as a gift (Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Chronicles-Official-Companion/dp/1419701193/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325219233&sr=8-1-spell). It's terrific stuff, with extensive interviews, insights into the show's genesis (it took Darabont and later with Gale Anne Hurd 5 years to find someone willing to do the show the way they and Robert Kirkman wanted it done), production photos, many excerpted comic book panels and covers.

The only TWD fan I wouldn't recommend it to is people who are reading the first maybe dozen or so issues of the comic, since many plot points in the comic are revealed/discussed in it, when talking about Season 1's direction.

It's very thick (not some cheap, flimsy marketing tie-in junk). Interspersed through the book are separate sections on the production/story of each of Season 1's 6 episodes. It gets a bit confusing because those pages aren't numbered -- but the rest of the book is. I thought at some point they'd forgotten pages, but those episode sections are sort of stuck in the middle of chapters.

Darabont is quoted extensively, and wrote the foreword to it. I think they had just started production work on Season 2 (with Darabont still involved at that time) when Kirkman wrote his intro for the companion. It's kind of sad to read Darabont's last thoughts on the final page about what he wanted to do with the characters and new characters for Season 2.  icon_frown

According to the interviews, many of the cast just did it "because Frank asked me to," and some did their auditions just with Darabont and a couple lighting and makeup people in his office. I certainly believe he'd want them to keep soldiering on and build on what they created in Season 1. I just felt this slight, melancholy feeling whenever I read his comments in the book. It seems a shame they couldn't work out some way to keep him actively involved, even if "only" as a writer, though maybe he would've blanched at that. Technically, he retains "executve producer" credit, but is no longer involved at all.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:27:37 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 09, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »

Quote from: raydude on October 24, 2011, 07:33:09 PM

2. Tank's trapdoor was probably left open by the other crewmen who bailed. As I recall there was only 1 guy left in the tank

arise!

great article on the reason for the tank Rick comes across in the pilot (or was it the 2nd episode?  can't remember now).  check it out here.   In short, it was being set up as a short story piece to introduce season 2.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: January 10, 2012, 12:25:03 AM »

That would have been amazing.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:54 PM »

Some Walking Dead tidbits from a press tour event in Pasadena:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/14/walking-dead-tca/
– Showrunner Glen Mazzara confirmed season one showrunner Frank Darabont’s original epic plan for a Black Hawk Down-with-zombies season premiere was discussed, but said Darabont was on board with setting aside the idea. “That story was discussed internally, that was Frank’s pitch,” Mazzara said. “We all responded to it. It was one of many ideas in the writers room. It felt like business too far away from our core characters. It was under Frank’s stewardship, when he was showrunner, that we moved off of that storyline. It was never written, it was never budgeted. It felt like a stall. We have a lot ideas like that. It’s just the nature of TV. That was not something that was rejected by another party.”
– Though there’s no premiere date Season 3, but AMC expects to split the show into two halves again — so likely another late fall return. The network also announced plans to stretch the third season to 16 episodes. [3 longer than Season 2]

Playing
PC
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: January 16, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »

ugh.  i really wish they would stop doing that with the seasonal split.  at least shorten or something. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 16, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »

Sneak Peek video:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/16/walking-dead-nebraska/
*The silhouetttes don't remind me of anyone in particular from Season 1, though presumably it's something like that.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 30, 2012, 06:02:09 AM »

only 2 weeks!

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/on-air-trailer-the-walking-dead-returns

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: