http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:26:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 39777 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 31, 2011, 02:08:38 AM »

Holy crap! What an episode!  We put the fun in funeral  icon_smile

I will never look at
Spoiler for Hiden:
Shane the same way. Clearly he did what was necessary, and only when all other options seemed exhausted. But I kept thinking, he's not REALLY doing that, is he! paranoid I was still holding out hope Otis had done something heroic and self-sacrificing, right up until the last flashback.

Just another sign why they can't kill off Shane. His contradictions and what he's capable of are just too good for storytelling purposes, imho.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 31, 2011, 02:20:33 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 31, 2011, 02:08:38 AM

Holy crap! What an episode!  We put the fun in funeral  icon_smile

I will never look at
Spoiler for Hiden:
Shane the same way. Clearly he did what was necessary, and only when all other options seemed exhausted. But I kept thinking, he's not REALLY doing that, is he! paranoid I was still holding out hope Otis had done something heroic and self-sacrificing, right up until the last flashback.

Just another sign why they can't kill off Shane. His contradictions and what he's capable of are just too good for storytelling purposes, imho.  icon_cool

I called it!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Remember folks, this is in spoiler tags.  Read no further if you don't want the big surprise!

When he made it back without the fat man, I looked at my wife and said "he shot him in the leg to get away".  It helps being a cynical bastard sometimes.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 31, 2011, 03:15:31 AM »

Well, it's not so much...
Spoiler for Hiden:
that he shot Otis in the leg, it's what he did to Otis after that. Although I had the lights off when I was watching, and didn't exactly see exactly what he did to him, it seemed to involve gouging Otis and beating the crap out of him.  icon_eek

And you know, a guy who'd do THAT could do just about anything...  paranoid
Very compelling stuff.  icon_smile And, the trailer ad for the Dead Island game played repeatedly -- talk about smart marketing.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:36:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 31, 2011, 04:23:51 AM »

Good episode, but I'd still like some more closure on other aspects.

So is the little girl dead? Two episodes lost now, I have to believe she's dead if she hasn't come in contact with another capable human.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 31, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »

damn, what an episode.  was not expecting the ending at all. 

as for the girl, i suspect they will be wrapping that up soon. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 31, 2011, 06:57:29 AM »

Shane did the right thing.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 31, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 31, 2011, 06:57:29 AM

No, he did the most selfish thing...which, giving the circumstances I'm not quite sure I wouldn't have done.  I've never been tested like that (nor has anyone outside of a combat situation on this board) so while I'd like to say I'd do the right thing and die with Otis or sacrifice myself so that Otis could have escaped, the truth is I don't know how I WOULD react.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 31, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »

Great, great episode.  Kept me riveted the whole way through even though they managed to slow it down some places.  Even though I kind of knew what the outcome would likely be, it was still great to see how they decided to play it out.  Love the beginning of Maggie/Glen, she's so much spunkier than I remember her, and it's nice to see a good looking Asian guy GET SOME.  Well, I'm assuming he will, anyway.

And oh yeah, I maintain that kid who plays Carl should get an Emmy. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
That seizure scene freaked the shit out of me, I can't believe his parents let him do that.  I thought I'd seen an awesome seizure when Academy Award winner Gwyneth Paltrow did it in Contagion.  Well, move over Gwyneth, because you just got SERVED by Carl  icon_wink
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 31, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2011, 02:20:57 PM

No, he did the most selfish thing...which, giving the circumstances I'm not quite sure I wouldn't have done.  I've never been tested like that (nor has anyone outside of a combat situation on this board) so while I'd like to say I'd do the right thing and die with Otis or sacrifice myself so that Otis could have escaped, the truth is I don't know how I WOULD react.

Uhhh how is it solely selfish?  He knew he had to get back to save someone else.  Both of them dying would have led to another dying as well (possibly more if it led to more suicides).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 31, 2011, 05:13:50 PM

No, he did the most selfish thing...which, giving the circumstances I'm not quite sure I wouldn't have done.  I've never been tested like that (nor has anyone outside of a combat situation on this board) so while I'd like to say I'd do the right thing and die with Otis or sacrifice myself so that Otis could have escaped, the truth is I don't know how I WOULD react.

Uhhh how is it solely selfish?  He knew he had to get back to save someone else.  Both of them dying would have led to another dying as well (possibly more if it led to more suicides).
I saw it as Shane loves Rick's son as if he were his own and didn't want to fail him (i.e., not get the ventilator and other supplies back to Herschel's Farm).

I could argue the self-sacrificing thing was to tell Otis to go and leave him. I think Shane does that at one point when he thinks his leg injury is hindering them and Otis says he won't leave him. So you could argue that the options were left as "Shane does what he does; or they both go down together, and presumably the boy dies on the operating table back at the farm." I think Otis (as written) was too wracked with guilt over shooting the boy, to ever consider leaving Shane behind.

It's kind of amazing what an impression Otis left on me in two episodes, when we know so little about him.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 31, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »

I will agree that I don't have enough information on what makes Shane tick to say with even slight assuredness that his sole motivation was survival (what I consider a selfish act in that situation).  I was just countering corrupt's assertion that his act was the "right one".

It's interesting to note the differences between schools of thought here and on OO.  Over there a similar discussion about Shane is being mulled over, but it seems the majority of posters there are saying that Shane is revealing his true self and that he's just a bad person.

I also wish they hadn't killed of Otis as that actor is one of the better character actors out there.  I love his work and would have enjoyed seeing him interact with a cast of that caliber.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:47:49 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 31, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2011, 05:45:28 PM

I also wish they hadn't killed of Otis as that actor is one of the better character actors out there.  I love his work and would have enjoyed seeing him interact with a cast of that caliber.

Technically I guess he could come back.

But I too think it was more a selfish act. He was trying to save himself first and formost. You could see the desperation earlier when he was on the fence. Plus he could have easily shot to the head for mercy sake but didn't even do that.

He's pretty cold blooded and I like the way this show is going now. smile

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 31, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2011, 05:45:28 PM

I will agree that I don't have enough information on what makes Shane tick to say with even slight assuredness that his sole motivation was survival (what I consider a selfish act in that situation).  I was just countering corrupt's assertion that his act was the "right one".

It's interesting to note the differences between schools of thought here and on OO.  Over there a similar discussion about Shane is being mulled over, but it seems the majority of posters there are saying that Shane is revealing his true self and that he's just a bad person.

I think they've already shown that he has a dark side last season when he tried to rape Sarah (sorry I forgot her name on this show). 

It was the "right" act if you feel like saving Carl was the priority.  As to why not shoot him in the head?  Well... as cold as it sounds, maiming him means he would struggle more and buy a few extra seconds, and pretty much every second was critical.  There was no way both of them were going to make it back to the truck without a distraction, that was the best/only option he thought he had.  If Jack Bauer did it, I think most everyone would be like, oh yeah, he had to do it.  With Shane, you just don't know if he's cold/dark/evil or just doing what needs to be done.  Maybe a bit of all that.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 31, 2011, 08:39:27 PM

If Jack Bauer did it, I think most everyone would be like, oh yeah, he had to do it.  With Shane, you just don't know if he's cold/dark/evil or just doing what needs to be done.  Maybe a bit of all that.

good point.  i just appreciate that a character's motivations can spark discussion. 

xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 02, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »

I have to admit I was shocked when Shane did that, not expecting it.  But in hindsight I do not think it is that shocking.  I tend to lean towards the idea that saving Carl was his primary motivation.

Quote from: Nonnahob on October 31, 2011, 04:23:51 AM

Good episode, but I'd still like some more closure on other aspects.

So is the little girl dead? Two episodes lost now, I have to believe she's dead if she hasn't come in contact with another capable human.

Looking at the preview it seems next week deals with this.

Quote from: Ragnarok on October 27, 2011, 04:23:58 AM

What I don't understand is why they are driving around in a shitty RV that is always breaking down?  There must be a RV dealer somewhere that has a shiney new RV with no mileage on it. They could have any vehicle they need, yet they drive around in mostly unreliable transportation.  What about armoured cars, military vehicles (with gun mounts like the Humvee outside the CDC) or anything with 4x4?  Or that truck full of water bottles that they desparatly need?

Whatever, I love they show but I would want more solid transportation. Tongue

Doesn't Dale deal with this is season 1?  He has sentimental reasons for keeping the RV does he not?

Quote from: rittchard on October 26, 2011, 06:05:39 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 26, 2011, 04:20:35 PM

While not a plot hole, I DO have to admit that I laughed at one scene in this week's episode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Rick is running towards the farm clutching his son, the hot chick grabs a pair of binoculars and looks at him...even though he's obviously only about a hundred feet away.  I'm going to guess she's near sighted as an explanation.   icon_biggrin

Not sure you need a spoiler on that - and I thought it made perfect sense, he looked bloody and gross, she wanted to make sure it wasn't a zombie.

I thought it made sense to be sure he was not a zombie.  What I did have a problem with was in the previous episode Dale not seeing the horde with his binoculars from atop the RV until they were like 100 yards away.  With binoculars from a good vantage point you could see a horde like that from literally miles away. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 02, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »

Quote from: xenocide on November 02, 2011, 05:30:58 PM

Doesn't Dale deal with this is season 1?  He has sentimental reasons for keeping the RV does he not?

Didn't Dale recently (as in this season) make a comment about newer cars having too many electronics that require specialized tools and knowledge to maintain and that's why he prefers his older, analog vehicle?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 02, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »

The ratings are declining. DOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM! 

While these last two episodes have declined, it's been by single digit percentages, the ratings remain far stronger than anything else on AMC, and season premieres tend to be a strong one-shot aberration. And the thing is, they've already filmed the episodes. It's not like they can tweak them or "patch" them in response to declining ratings. They're not gonna suddenly insert slapstick comedy bits because  the unrelenting grimness of this season scares off a few viewers.

I do worry if the show gets too unrelentingly dark (how many times do we need to see the boy get operated on for example), grim and hopeless, it might start to lose its hold on the non hardcore audience, i.e. people that don't embrace almost everything zombie as I do.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 02, 2011, 06:11:12 PM

They're not gonna suddenly insert slapstick comedy bits because  the unrelenting grimness of this season scares off a few viewers.

Well damn.  I was just thinking to myself how much better this show would be if the Benny Hill chase theme was playing over top of the schoolhouse scene this week.   icon_frown

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 02, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2011, 08:57:08 PM

If Jack Bauer did it, I think most everyone would be like, oh yeah, he had to do it.  With Shane, you just don't know if he's cold/dark/evil or just doing what needs to be done.  Maybe a bit of all that.

good point.  i just appreciate that a character's motivations can spark discussion. 

My feeling is that he started off as a do what needs to be done for the better good type but has slowly slipped into a more evil mindset as the series is progressing.   Talking about leaving on his own, etc.  I think the debate will soon cease though as I am pretty sure he is all in on the pure evil now.  You could see that he was visible shaken when he saw the reaction of Otis's wife.  The soul searching in the mirror as he flashed back to what he had done was a great scene.  Then the head shaving as the new Shane emerges.  It's like he said screw it, I'm all in.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 02, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »

Shane just remembered the golden rule of a zombie outbreak:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You don't have to outrun the zombies, you just have to outrun the slowest snack pack with you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 03, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 02, 2011, 10:16:11 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2011, 08:57:08 PM

My feeling is that he started off as a do what needs to be done for the better good type but has slowly slipped into a more evil mindset as the series is progressing.   Talking about leaving on his own, etc.  I think the debate will soon cease though as I am pretty sure he is all in on the pure evil now.  You could see that he was visible shaken when he saw the reaction of Otis's wife.  The soul searching in the mirror as he flashed back to what he had done was a great scene.  Then the head shaving as the new Shane emerges.  It's like he said screw it, I'm all in.

I completely disagree.  Leaving on his own was actually an act of altruism on his part as he realized what he was doing to Rick's family.  I think he was driven by guilt more than anything else.  Shane is not pure evil in any way, shape or form.  He's risked his life repeatedly for others.  He may become unbalanced at some point, but that will be because of his feelings of guilt and shame, not because he's true evil.   

Is he a hero?  No.  But being a hero isn't a zero sum game resulting in evil if you fail.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 04, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »

Hey i stumbled onto this very cool official Companion Book to The Walking Dead (focused on Season 1)

*It has lots of interviews, including a ton of stuff with Frank Darabont. And also many snippets from the comic, including ones illustrating where Season 1 went away from what happened in the book. Think I might put it on my Xmas wish list.  icon_smile It's $19.99 retail, about $13-$14 at Amazon.

Amazon page gives you a chance to look at the table of contents and first few pages:
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Chronicles-Official-Companion/dp/1419701193/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320428402&sr=8-1-spell#reader_1419701193
*Darabont did the foreword, and he's interviewed and talked so much about in this, it's like reading a eulogy about him.  icon_frown

From the Amazon page:
The Walking Dead Chronicles: The Official Companion Book is the only authorized, behind-the-scenes guide to Season One of the white-hot new AMC television series, The Walking Dead, which tells the story of a sheriff’s deputy leading a band of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by the undead.

Focusing on the making of the first season of the Golden Globe–nominated TV show, as well as the creation of the New York Times bestselling comic book on which the series is based, The Walking Dead Chronicles is lav­ishly illustrated with never-before-seen unit photography, storyboards, set designs, makeup and visual effects shots, and page-to-screen comparisons of the comic and TV show. Featuring new interviews with series creator Robert Kirkman and executive producer Frank Darabont, as well as the cast and crew, the book also includes sidebars that serve as a detailed episode guide, reproducing excerpts from early drafts and final scripts, and revealing new direc­tions for the second season and beyond.
It was released Oct. 1, although it probably was done for some time, before they knew Darabont wasn't remaining involved with it.

Also, saw this cool, unofficial Wiki. The character page is especially helpful for keeping track of who's who, and who's dead (dead characters are marked in red on this page there):
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/TV_Series_Characters
*I forgot about Morales, Miranda and their kids. I'm curious about their fate or if the series will ever revisit them.

================
As far as the "Shane and Otis" situation, I met some pals for dinner last night including a female friend (she's maybe around 40) who watches the show if isn't necessarily a rabid fan of the show.

She has a more jaundiced view of the show, feeling that Shane is the only truly interesting character (I disagreed -- I find Daryl, Andrea and others fascinating and evolving as characters), and that he's the only cast member who might draw some female viewers, presumably seeking either beefcake or a strong, dangerous type.  icon_razz She thinks Shane really thinks he can "win back" Lori somehow, but that it's not clear if Lori saying "stay" means she still cares for him or if she's just strictly grateful for him helping save her son. God, now I make it sounds like As the World Turns, with Zombies.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:52:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 04, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »

All the stories are about people at the base level.  Star Wars is about finding out you were adopted and figuring out the nature vs. nurture argument.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 04, 2011, 05:41:40 PM

She has a more jaundiced view of the show, feeling that Shane is the only truly interesting character (I disagreed -- I find Daryl, Andrea and others fascinating and evolving as characters), and that he's the only cast member who might draw some female viewers, presumably seeking either beefcake or a strong, dangerous type.  icon_razz She thinks Shane really thinks he can "win back" Lori somehow, but that it's not clear if Lori saying "stay" means she still cares for him or if she's just strictly grateful for him helping save her son. God, now I make it sounds like As the World Turns, with Zombies.  icon_razz

Your chick friend sounds like she has issues.  Has she seen Rick with his shirt off?  Come on, he is frickin HOT.  OK he isn't built quite as nice as Shane but he's cuter.  But whatever.  So she is rooting for the guy that tried to rape Lori to "win" her back?  Does she also send love letters to serial killers in prison?   icon_wink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 04, 2011, 06:40:49 PM

Has she seen Rick with his shirt off?  Come on, he is frickin HOT.  OK he isn't built quite as nice as Shane but he's cuter.  But whatever.
icon_lol

I don't think my friend was speaking for herself. I think she just meant in terms of demographics and beefcake appeal, Shane (Jon Bernthal) has it. And hey, the soap opera General Hospital turned "rapist" Luke into a hero that female viewers fawned over for decades. There's precedence for that, as warped as it sounds.

Me, I just like the way he carries that shotgun.  icon_razz Seriously though, he's complicated. He's someone who'd go through hell to save his friends, and practically beat a wife-abuser to death, but he'd also do hellaciously questionable and horrible things too. Is he heroic? A monster? A selfish guy who veers between doing good and bad things? Makes him a great "spoon" to stir up storylines for the show. If he was some lantern-jawed Boy Scout who never did or said anything wrong or questionable, he wouldn't bring much to the storyline. He'd just sort of echo Rick.

btw, I finally did see what happened to Shane in the comic book. And I could easily see him being ultimately offed in that same fashion by that same person in the series eventually, just not any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:48:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 05, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 03, 2011, 03:24:55 PM

I completely disagree.  Leaving on his own was actually an act of altruism on his part as he realized what he was doing to Rick's family.  

Right, like trying to rape his buddy's wife?  Shane had it all there for a bit.  Well as much as you can ask for in a zombipocalapse.  He had a women, a kid and a clan of followers.  Then Rick came back and took it all.  You could see the resentment form the get go.  He beat the crap outta that one guy.  Sure he had it coming but he totally lost it on him.  Then the whole rape thing.  An now he sacrifices Otis.  To save Rick's kid or his own skin?  Probably a bit of both.  He's not quite pure evil yet but I think he will get there.  Each 'evil' act he commits leads him closer to the dark side.....errr wrong movie.  The head shaving was symbolism for either trying to erase his recent sins or erasing his old self.  I'm leaning towards the later.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:47:41 AM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 06, 2011, 04:44:33 PM »

Just got caught up last night and HOLY SHIT SHANE!! That move totally jolted my wife from the first 2 episodes which were a little slow for her. Awesome awesome awesome. Cannot wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 06, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »

I read somewhere on one of my Google+ sparks that ep#4 will be very very good. It was in response to criticism about the story line being slow and little developments in terms of progress.....
We shall see.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 07, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »

Quote from: Roman on November 06, 2011, 05:05:56 PM

I read somewhere on one of my Google+ sparks that ep#4 will be very very good. It was in response to criticism about the story line being slow and little developments in terms of progress.....
We shall see.

Boy oh boy was I wrong. Lame lame lame.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 07, 2011, 08:55:23 AM »

Wow, the whole water well sequence was pretty pointless. Gross, but pointless.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 07, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »

Yup, that was pretty much a uneventful episode.  I can't wait to see what they brought over from the novel about the farm.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 07, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 07, 2011, 01:28:42 PM

Yup, that was pretty much a uneventful episode.  I can't wait to see what they brought over from the novel about the farm.

Exactly - are they going to open the barn?  ninja

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 07, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

If they make any more episodes like that, the Walking Dead show will be dead because their entire audience will be asleep. What a stupid episode. This series is quickly starting to circle the toilet bowl.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The whole episode was awful.

The well scene was moronic. Who was going to drink that water after a fat zombie floated in it anyway?

The Glenn/Maggie scene was painful to watch. Could there be any less chemistry between two characters?

"Hi!"
"Hi!"
*awkward stare*
"Let's have sex now!"

Could Shame (my new name for him) look any more guilty during the funeral?

Why does Lori need to go into the field right past the camper to pee? And that's an awfully small knife to carry around in case of a zombie attack. Finally, we're tired of Lori being a pathetic excuse for a human being. Either kill the bitch off or make her a little likable please!

Even Rick is getting annoying, though I liked his take on God. But otherwise he's coming across like a whiny bitch. WAHHHH!

Really, the only compelling character right now is Daryl. That's it. I'm hoping that the coming dynamic change (not revealing any spoilers, but thanks for the HUGE FAT ONE in the preview of next week's episode, AMC! Assholes.) mixes things up a bit, because this series is starting to suck.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 07, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
why didn't Darell mention the farm house? Think he did not want to mis-manage expectations?

Very confusing.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 07, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »

Quote from: Roman on November 07, 2011, 06:01:45 AM

Quote from: Roman on November 06, 2011, 05:05:56 PM

We shall see.

Boy oh boy was I wrong. Lame lame lame.
I think the episode maybe might be seen as more in response to some critics' complaints the show had become so unrelentingly grim and hopeless (not that the show's ever going to be "bright"), with all the characters talking so grimly and hopelessly, there wasn't something at least exciting or hopeful to latch onto.

Though the fact is they filmed all this stuff months ago. The show isn't being made in "real time" response to fans' or critics' feedback.

I agree it's not my favorite. There's
Spoiler for Hiden:
one zombie in the entire episode afik. To me, if they're going to only have one, it should be a meaningful zombie (someone the people on the farm knew, or something).
. A couple scenes seem like a half-hearted attempt to introduce humor into the show, and a couple other scenes seem, well, like from a different show.

If I have one overarching concern about Season 2 is that there's no simple, crisp "motivation/goal" like "Lets go find the CDC," in Season 1. What's the point of Season 2? Finding the lost girl? Just rotting on the farm like couch potatoes? Getting the Korean guy
Spoiler for Hiden:
laid? Hey I'm all for that. smirk Just doesn't make for rivieting TV.
? I know the farm was a big role in the comic, but imho the show's more interesting if they stay on the move and it keeps introducing new situations and environs -- even if they're all in one state (Georgia).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 07, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 07, 2011, 08:55:23 AM

Wow, the whole water well sequence was pretty pointless. Gross, but pointless.

Keep watching, you'll understand the "point" soon enough slywink

As I was driving in today, I was thinking about how much I personally enjoyed last night's episode, but also remembering as I watched it thinking many people would find it boring or uneventful.  Reminds me of some episodes of Lost where I'd argue with a friend about the "plot" - much of last night was not so much about driving things full steam ahead relentlessly, more subtely about the setup for things to come.  The comic book actually does this as well, slows things down every now and again.

Clearly this is the result of having more episodes to fill this season, but I actually enjoy the change of pace if only to flesh things out a little better (no pun intended) as they lead into a bigger storyline.  Still, there's plenty of exciting stuff for fans, especially if you have some inkling of things to come.

Spoiler for Hiden:
- The pregnancy test.  Major plot point for things to come.
- The guy in the well and Maggie's reaction.  Setup for big plot point.
- Herschel's talk with Rick.  Ditto.
- The Glenn/Maggie romance beginning.  Hooray!
- Daryl's discovery of.... something, someone else living out there.  His brother?  Sophie?  Michonne?
- My favorite scene:  THE HAT.  Oh yeah!!!  Really small moment, but it establishes Carl's iconic look in the comic, and it just fit him so well.  Loved it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:40:32 PM by rittchard » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 07, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »

Quote from: Roman on November 07, 2011, 02:46:10 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
why didn't Darell mention the farm house? Think he did not want to mis-manage expectations?

Very confusing.

Depends on who/what else he might have found there.  Maybe someone he wanted to protect, perhaps?
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 07, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 07, 2011, 06:38:17 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Very confusing.

Depends on who/what else he might have found there.  Maybe someone he wanted to protect, perhaps?

Ah - I see what you mean....... good catch.
Spoiler for Hiden:
although I am pretty sure that Merle wouldn't fit in that closet....

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »

Quote from: Roman on November 07, 2011, 06:43:18 PM

Quote from: rittchard on November 07, 2011, 06:38:17 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Very confusing.

Ah - I see what you mean....... good catch.
Spoiler for Hiden:
although I am pretty sure that Merle wouldn't fit in that closet....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Maybe Merle has Sophie and is going to use her as bait?  I dunno, just throwing ideas out.  Would also be cool if she was with Michonne and that's how they'll show up later.  I don't see her surviving by herself with no help but who knows.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 08, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 05, 2011, 12:45:42 AM

Quote from: hepcat on November 03, 2011, 03:24:55 PM

I completely disagree.  Leaving on his own was actually an act of altruism on his part as he realized what he was doing to Rick's family.  

Right, like trying to rape his buddy's wife?  Shane had it all there for a bit.  Well as much as you can ask for in a zombipocalapse.  He had a women, a kid and a clan of followers.  Then Rick came back and took it all.  You could see the resentment form the get go.  He beat the crap outta that one guy.  Sure he had it coming but he totally lost it on him.  Then the whole rape thing.  An now he sacrifices Otis.  To save Rick's kid or his own skin?  Probably a bit of both.  He's not quite pure evil yet but I think he will get there.  Each 'evil' act he commits leads him closer to the dark side.....errr wrong movie.  The head shaving was symbolism for either trying to erase his recent sins or erasing his old self.  I'm leaning towards the later.

You actually called him pure evil in your original post.  What's changed?  I still maintain that Shane was leaving because it was both too painful to see the woman he loves with another man, and because he loves both Lori AND Rick and knew that the triangle would just lead to tragedy at some point.

As for the attempted rape:  he was drunk and despondent.  In his mind he probably thought Lori was going to respond to his advances since they DO have a rather steamy history together (remember the first scene of them gettin' it on in the first season?  go back and watch it and I think you'll see a history of some rather rough lovin' with those two).  When he realized she wasn't down with it via her physical rebuff, he backed off.  If he was as bad as you say he is, he wouldn't have.

Also, he didn't have to say all those kind things about Otis at his funeral to make the widow feel better.  Shane's feeling remorse.  That's not exactly something Darth Vader would've done at the Alderaan memorial ceremony.

I still do not agree with you that Shane is being groomed as the villain of the series.  He's done some bad things...but most of the characters on that show have/will have done some bad things.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:44:06 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: