http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:38:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 43167 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 17, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »

very happy with this episode. Despite having read the comics up to volume 80ish the ending still made me jump - I forgot that I read about it.
Commercials don't bother me at all - they have been part of my 38yrs on this Earth and were there before me and will be there long after me.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 17, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »

Nice premiere!  Love love love the show.

I had forgotten about the ending too, I've read the entire comic book series (up through the latest issues) so I forgot a lot of the great stuff that happens earlier.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 17, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »

I'd still like to know what happened to walkie-talkie guy and his son (from Episode 1), and Michael Rooker's de-limbed racist. It's interesting how those characters are always kind of floating in the backdrop a bit even though we haven't seen them since early Season 1. The scuttlebutt is there won't be any resolution on the walkie-talkie guy this season.

Kirkman talked in the Talk Show about while the comic's fertile for set pieces, they're purposely diverging from the comics in a variety of ways to make sure each audiences for one format (comic, TV show) can check out the other and still be surprised sometimes, meet a fresh character, etc. Like one character killed early in the comics is still kicking on the show, presumably because they liked the actor's portrayal so much they wanted to keep that going.

Although from what Hurd says in her interview, cast members remain sort of on a "you keep the job as long as your character lives" basis.  paranoid

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2011, 07:17:16 PM »

Stumbled onto this fun little vid at CNN (mostly it's a clip show for the season premiere, but a few amusing interview snippets with cast):

What Scares the Walking Dead Cast?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/10/17/ireport-walking-dead.cnn

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:11 PM »

I missed a lot of recent EW stuff.

Norman Reedus (Daryl) interview:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/16/walking-dead-norman-reedus/
But I have so many Daryl Dixon gifts from people. Iíve gotten tons of paintings in the mail. Iíve gotten tons of different t-shirts. Iíve gotten dolls. Iíve gotten sculptures. Iíve got crochet dolls. I have me dressed as panda bears. Itís insane. Iíve got bumper stickers that say, ďIf youíre riding my aĖ, youíd better be Daryl Dixon.Ē A whole box of those bumper stickers. Thereís so much stuff, itís just insane. Iíve gotten lighters that say like, ďRedneck BadaĖĒ on them.

But youíre not a redneck at all, are you?
No. I live in Chinatown in Manhattan! But I did just buy a truck in Georgia and Iím going to put my motorcycle on the back of it and drive to Chinatown. I donít know where Iím going to park that thing. Yeah, Iíve gotten so much Daryl Dixon love. I assume Iím going to see a tattoo sooner or later. I love it. Thereís a group called Dixonís Vixens. Before that, I had the Boondock Betties and now Iíve got Dixonís Vixens. Itís awesome. I love it all.
Another of your costars Andrew Lincoln is, like myself, a Brit working in America. Have you introduced him to any local past times or customs?
He just had a birthday. I bought him a Red Ryder BB gun.

Heíll shoot his eye out with that!
Thatís exactly right! You are so on it. Andy and I have become really tight. We have this little joke on set. Between takes on some some really hard scene, weíll look at each other and one of us will go, ďI love you,Ē and the other one will go, ďFó you!Ē
icon_lol I like that the character didn't become as one-note as I initially thought he'd be. Sometimes he seems like the most humane member of the bunch, personality traits aside, and the one you'd want to have in a foxhole next to you in a battle.  icon_smile

*Spoiler, if you missed the Season premiere*
Robert Kirkman Q&A
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/17/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-carl/
At the start of the episode, Rick references the message Jenner (Noah Emmerich) whispered to him at the CDC. Is that something which is going to be resolved this season?
Absolutely. Iíll be straight and give that away. Itís one of those things where itís a cool mystery and the viewers are really excited to find out what that it is, and milking that for all itís worth is the absolute wrong thing to do. Itís something that weíre definitely going to wrap up in a satisfactory kind of way. We really want to not drag it out to the point where youíre bored with it, which I think some shows kind of do.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:33:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 17, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 17, 2011, 05:21:35 PM

Although from what Hurd says in her interview, cast members remain sort of on a "you keep the job as long as your character lives" basis.  paranoid

Spoiler for Hiden:
Heh, I was just commenting last night if they followed the comic 90% of the cast would be dead.  I think all that's left is Rick, Andrea and Carl, and the only one intact so to speak is Andrea.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »

All the praying to the Zombie King seemed rather...ironic. Does the ending mean Rick got the sign he was looking for?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2011, 11:57:15 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 17, 2011, 05:12:11 PM

very happy with this episode. Despite having read the comics up to volume 80ish the ending still made me jump - I forgot that I read about it.
Commercials don't bother me at all - they have been part of my 38yrs on this Earth and were there before me and will be there long after me.

They bother me when they get to the point of breaking the flow and pacing of the show (which happens even though I skip through them on my DVR). I know toward the end it was 5-6 minutes of show, massive commercials, 5-6 minutes of show, massive commercials, 5-6 minutes, massive commercials. It was brutal and really lessens my enjoyment of the show.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: October 18, 2011, 01:40:27 AM »

Quote from: Toe on October 17, 2011, 11:57:15 PM

Quote from: Roman on October 17, 2011, 05:12:11 PM

They bother me when they get to the point of breaking the flow and pacing of the show (which happens even though I skip through them on my DVR). I know toward the end it was 5-6 minutes of show, massive commercials, 5-6 minutes of show, massive commercials, 5-6 minutes, massive commercials. It was brutal and really lessens my enjoyment of the show.

Yeah, I don't know who invented the tactic of giving us 30 minutes of uninterrupted show followed by ever-escalating commercial breaks. I understand why they do it --- to hook viewers for the upcoming ads. But I wish they'd cut that out and go back to spacing them evenly.

My remote has a Skip button, but it's annoying to reach for the remote every 5 minutes.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 18, 2011, 01:49:43 AM »

I forgot about the 6" tall action figures! From the AMC Store. I wouldn't expect anything spectacular for $16.99, but they sound fun. The two below don't ship until Nov. 15.

Daryl Dixon action figure
http://shop.amctv.com/products/113031-the-walking-dead-daryl-dixon-action-figure
Accessories include: Crossbow, Knife, Fire Axe, Pick Axe, and a String of Squirrels smirk

Deputy Rick Grimes action figure*
http://shop.amctv.com/products/113012-the-walking-dead-deputy-rick-grimes-action-figure
Accessories included: Revolver, Shotgun, Radio, Baseball Bat, and Hand Grenade
*Hey! Where's the hat?  *Fist Shaking*

The official AMC store selection is pretty limited, but a Google search revealed there are quite a few other action figures, including one of Grimes carrying the "bag o' guns" from last season:

Walking Dead action figures

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitlist.asp?spotlight=&eeshop=&collect=Action+Figures&theme=WALKING+DEAD&company=&rppdup=20&rpp=20&filterdup=0&filter=0&premium=0&nm=0&coming=&clearance=0&justone=0&SearchOrder=thm&searchfield=&pref=0&pg=0&orsearch=0&wrid=0&tree=0&sort=0&new=0
*Apparently quite popular, and several are out of stock.

This might be the set to preorder... (Action Figure Set)
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MF14420AA

EW also had a fun podcast (audio) interview with Norman Reedus (Daryl):
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/15/insidetv-podcast-norman-reedus-the-walking-dead/

Aaaand record ratings, improving even upon last season's finale:

'Walking Dead' season 2 delivers record premiere ratings*
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/17/walking-dead-season-2-premiere/
*Keeping in mind what's "good" in basic cable. 7.3M is about the kind of ratings Chuck did in its second season (and it was seen as lousy ratings at the time).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:00:50 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

EW also had a round-up from the NY Comic-Con panel recently:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/16/the-walking-dead-at-new-york-comic-con-full-report-of-the-panel/
ĖKirkmanís involvement in the series is intriguing, since the first season deviated significantly from the original graphic novels. (Spoilers for this season and the Dead comic ahead). Kirkman noted that the early episodes of this season would focus on Herschelís Farm, a setting from the second volume of the series. ďReaders of the book will know that Shane [Jon Bernthal's character] was dead by then, in the comic. His character existing in this world changes those storylines and makes them richer and adds different levels. Itís a lot of fun for me because I wrote these stories a long time ago, and getting to do things in a different way is a lot of fun.Ē
He also mentions the comic book character Michonne should make it into the TV series eventually, though likely not this season.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 19, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »

Michonne is the only character I loathe from the comic.  She's such a walking comic book cliche that she stands out like a sore thumb.  I hope they seriously tone her down on the tv show.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:08 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 19, 2011, 06:20:07 PM

Michonne is the only character I loathe from the comic.  She's such a walking comic book cliche that she stands out like a sore thumb.  I hope they seriously tone her down on the tv show.
She's gonna be CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  retard You'll LOVE her!  Fabulous

Hey, check this out (I can so far only get this working in IE, not Firefox):

The Walking Dead Quiz: Which Character Are You?
http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/which-character-are-you

I'm Rick (Deputy)! Though I think that's my goody-two-shoes wishful thinking at work...  smirk

Oh, and the official site has a lengthy Q&A with Jon Bernthal (Shane), just posted Oct. 17:
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/10/jon-bernthal-interview.php#more
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:04:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 20, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »

Damn quiz.  I'm the half zombie from episode one???

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 20, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »

I am Dale! Sweet that means that I get Andrea!!!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 20, 2011, 02:09:00 PM

Damn quiz.  I'm the half zombie from episode one???
Zombies are cooler than humans these days. You should be proud.  smirk

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »

Quote from: Shinjin on July 11, 2011, 01:51:03 PM

smile

A quick summary for you:

* Focus of the show is on people with zombie apocalypse as the setting
* Most agree that the first episode kicked ass
* The followup episodes, while containing some plot holes, were still very good.  Not as good as the first, but they still far outshine most anything else airing.

I'd recommend watching it before Halloween 2011 swings around since that's when season 2 begins.

After several attempts to get through the pilot I finally made it tonight. Does it really not get better? And if the next episodes have MORE plot holes, how is there even a story? This one had so many in the first 20 minutes that we thought it was a comedy. And how in the world does this guy survive? He's a complete moron. I don't know if I can suffer through another 90 minutes but I'll try.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 24, 2011, 01:44:07 AM

After several attempts to get through the pilot I finally made it tonight. Does it really not get better? And if the next episodes have MORE plot holes, how is there even a story? This one had so many in the first 20 minutes that we thought it was a comedy. And how in the world does this guy survive? He's a complete moron. I don't know if I can suffer through another 90 minutes but I'll try.

Do you enjoy anything?  Or does overwhelming cynicism require finding fault whenever possible?  I'd expect more optimism from a land where strolls are always accompanied by the scent of bacon roses lining the pathway.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »

Talk about plot holes, the dead can't come back to life!  It's friggin' impossible!  Scientifically speaking, once a person dies they CANNOT reanimate and then start chasing and eating the living! 

...and don't get me started on Star Wars!

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »

I bet ibdoomed is boycotting X-Men First Class too.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 24, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »

If he's talking about Rick Grimes, then yeah, he does some "stupid" things in the pilot because he doesn't know what the Hell's going on, and he's stumbling around in confused shock for much of episode 1. He gets smarter and becomes the key leader as the series develops.

The Rick Grimes of Season 2 wouldn't fire a gun inside a tank, wouldn't fire his weapons pell mell (if anything now he seems almost scared to ever fire his weapon at all, in fear of drawing hordes), and he probably wouldn't do some of the things he did in Season 1. I call it "character development," others may call it "reduction in stupidity."   smirk

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 24, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

Back on topic:  Darryl continues to get better and better.   He's becoming my favorite character, which is surprising because I absolutely hated him when he was introduced.  I thought he was a two dimensional hillbilly made redundant by his brother's behavior, but after Merle disappeared he came into his own and we're seeing a character that is essentially a good person raised in an environment of hate.  I can't wait to see what happens when (and if) his brother returns.

Plus, the line

"Merle would get the Clap on occasion."

was great.   icon_wink

p.s. on the subject of Rick's "stupidity", I'm with Blackjack.  I honestly don't think I'd do any better than Rick if I were dropped into a zombie apocalypse.  Oddly enough, that situation isn't covered in Phys Ed in high school, nor was it an elective in college.   icon_confused
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:52:14 PM by hepcat » Logged

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 24, 2011, 02:50:32 PM

Plus, the line

was great.   icon_wink

I particularly enjoyed his take on the futility of hope and prayer, simply stating that they would find the little girl and she'd be fine, finishing by asking, "Am I the only one who's zen around here?"   icon_lol

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 24, 2011, 02:53:43 PM »

I'm boycotting Indiana Jones movies because there is no way River Phoenix would have grown up to look like Harrison Ford.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 24, 2011, 03:22:48 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 24, 2011, 02:53:38 PM

Plus, the line

was great.   icon_wink

I particularly enjoyed his take on the futility of hope and prayer, simply stating that they would find the little girl and she'd be fine, finishing by asking, "Am I the only one who's zen around here?"   icon_lol

+1 That's the exact line I was thinking of when writing that.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 24, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 24, 2011, 02:20:11 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 24, 2011, 01:44:07 AM

Do you enjoy anything?  Or does overwhelming cynicism require finding fault whenever possible?  I'd expect more optimism from a land where strolls are always accompanied by the scent of bacon roses lining the pathway.

I have no sense of smell. It's my superpower.

Quote from: hepcat on October 24, 2011, 02:37:15 PM

Talk about plot holes, the dead can't come back to life!  It's friggin' impossible!  Scientifically speaking, once a person dies they CANNOT reanimate and then start chasing and eating the living!  

...and don't get me started on Star Wars!

I'm talking about things like: IVs don't last more than a day and leaving a dry IV in, can kill you. Where did he get nourishment for however long he was out and it was obviously a while from the dried out flowers and wreck of civilization. Where was the catheter? They don't allow patients unconscious to wear clothes beyond the gown but he had shorts on. How did the zombies, whom were obviously inside since we're shown that mostly eaten fresh corpse, not find him? That was very 28 days later and I expected better based on the ravings this was getting. What about the shootout that lead to him being hospitalized? Those cops were the WORST marksmen and then after the first two perps are down, they all relax? That's not how real police work is done. Secure the entire scene, search everywhere, detain/cover/cuff the perps that are down until death is irrefutably confirmed.

So then he's in a tank and he shoots UP through the head?! This is presumably his own revolver, so he should know the caliber and consequences of a shot from it, after all, he did just shoot some other cop through the head. Did he have his eyes closed?! I was too busy laughing so I may have missed that.  Anyway, I would expect the fact that tanks are mostly bullet proof, to at least small caliber fire, to be common knowledge so firing a weapon in such a way, is just plain stupid and if he weren't impossible to kill, he'd surely be tagged by the ricochet. The proper way, if you had to use the gun, is to fire downward through the top of the head so that the bullet also goes through the body and out the back/opposite side and even if it makes it through, is trapped between the body and wall of the tank.

So is this supposed to be some alternate reality world where zombie movies never happened?
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 24, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »

p.s. on the subject of Rick's "stupidity", I'm with Blackjack.  I honestly don't think I'd do any better than Rick if I were dropped into a zombie apocalypse.  Oddly enough, that situation isn't covered in Phys Ed in high school, nor was it an elective in college.   icon_confused

And see I just don't get that. There have been sooooo many zombie movies covering such a wide range of zombie types, that I do believe I would survive just fine should it really happen. I will blow my wifes head off if she becomes undead. SHE'S DEAD. It's no longer her. Mourn her death but do the humane thing and put down the zombie.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 24, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »

Honestly, with that level of ridiculous scrutiny, I don't see how you enjoy any work of fiction.   icon_eek

Perhaps documentaries are your bag.  No harm in that.   icon_wink

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 24, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 24, 2011, 03:55:23 PM

So then he's in a tank and he shoots UP through the head?! This is presumably his own revolver, so he should know the caliber and consequences of a shot from it, after all, he did just shoot some other cop through the head. Did he have his eyes closed?! I was too busy laughing so I may have missed that.  Anyway, I would expect the fact that tanks are mostly bullet proof, to at least small caliber fire, to be common knowledge so firing a weapon in such a way, is just plain stupid and if he weren't impossible to kill, he'd surely be tagged by the ricochet. The proper way, if you had to use the gun, is to fire downward through the top of the head so that the bullet also goes through the body and out the back/opposite side and even if it makes it through, is trapped between the body and wall of the tank.

So is this supposed to be some alternate reality world where zombie movies never happened?

Maybe he just gets the heebie jeebies from seeing the dead walk again. I know I do stupid stuff when I get spooked. Like putting my wife between me and whatever is spooking me  icon_biggrin

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 24, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 24, 2011, 04:01:12 PM

Honestly, with that level of ridiculous scrutiny, I don't see how you enjoy any work of fiction.   icon_eek

Perhaps documentaries are your bag.  No harm in that.   icon_wink

I can't think of another acclaimed work of fiction with so many plot holes in the first 20 minutes.

Breaking Bad for instance. I'd need to rewatch the pilot but nothing comes to mind.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 24, 2011, 04:27:38 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 24, 2011, 04:19:34 PM

Honestly, with that level of ridiculous scrutiny, I don't see how you enjoy any work of fiction.   icon_eek

Perhaps documentaries are your bag.  No harm in that.   icon_wink

I can't think of another acclaimed work of fiction with so many plot holes in the first 20 minutes.

Breaking Bad for instance. I'd need to rewatch the pilot but nothing comes to mind.

Really?   icon_eek  A former school teacher on a school teacher's salary who develops cancer, has to quit his job, then suddenly has enough money to buy a business doesn't get the attention of the IRS at any point doesn't alert your finely tuned sense of plot holishness?  That's only one...and it doesn't occur in the first 20 minutes, but it's a pretty freakin' big one that should have had you giggling insanely throughout the last season given the level of perfection you apparently require.

EVERY show has plot holes when you take a microscope to it.  The only valid one you expressed in your list of gripes was the coma thing. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:29:59 PM by hepcat » Logged

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 24, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 24, 2011, 04:27:38 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 24, 2011, 04:19:34 PM

Honestly, with that level of ridiculous scrutiny, I don't see how you enjoy any work of fiction.   icon_eek

Perhaps documentaries are your bag.  No harm in that.   icon_wink

Really?   icon_eek  A former school teacher on a school teacher's salary who develops cancer, has to quit his job, then suddenly has enough money to buy a business doesn't get the attention of the IRS at any point doesn't alert your finely tuned sense of plot holishness?  That's only one...and it doesn't occur in the first 20 minutes, but it's a pretty freakin' big one that should have had you giggling insanely throughout the last season given the level of perfection you apparently require.

EVERY show has plot holes when you take a microscope to it.  The only valid one you expressed in your list of gripes was the coma thing. 

I'm still in season 2. I didn't know he bought a business but you're right, that is pretty glaring, no reason to continue watching it if they are going to pull that crap.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »

Sigh....

Name one piece of fiction you like and I'm 100 percent we'll be able to come up with a laundry list of plot holes.  I love Breaking Bad and I honestly believe it deserves every one of the numerous awards its won.  That you expect perfection from your entertainment sources is only hurting you in the end. 

p.s. a lot of your gripes seem based around behavior you expect out of your characters.  that's even more ridiculous.  people react to things in different ways...even trained professionals make mistakes during things that happen to them every day.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:53:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 24, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 24, 2011, 02:42:46 PM

I bet ibdoomed is boycotting X-Men First Class too.

Not boycotting it per-se but I'm not going to flush 2 hours of my life down the toliet watching it.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 24, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 24, 2011, 04:51:36 PM

Sigh....

Name one piece of fiction you like and I'm 100 percent we'll be able to come up with a laundry list of plot holes.  I love Breaking Bad and I honestly believe it deserves every one of the numerous awards its won.  That you expect perfection from your entertainment sources is only hurting you in the end. 

p.s. a lot of your gripes seem based around behavior you expect out of your characters.  that's even more ridiculous.  people react to things in different ways...even trained professionals make mistakes during things that happen to them every day.

I agree that BB does deserve every award it's won.

I don't expect perfection, I simply want to be engrossed and entertained, that's the whole point. If you break me out of my suspension of disbelief because your plot holes are so hysterical, then I'm not entertained.

Perhaps I went in with my expectations too high because I read so many people saying this was so great.

There's lots of fiction I like and I'm sure it's all full of plot holes. That's one reason I can't author anything, it would take 100 years to fix even a 10,000 word story.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 24, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 24, 2011, 05:04:15 PM

Perhaps I went in with my expectations too high because I read so many people saying this was so great.

No, you went in with UNREALISTIC expectations.  Mostly, you seem to have a set reaction you expect from every character and if those expectations aren't met, you give up on the show.  The problem lies more with you than the source, imho.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 24, 2011, 05:06:33 PM

No, you went in with UNREALISTIC expectations.  Mostly, you seem to have a set reaction you expect from every character and if those expectations aren't met, you give up on the show.  The problem lies more with you than the source, imho.

I more gave up on it because of the whole hospital part. I can ignore the main character being a complete moron. The two together just shows that the writing/directing/something is crap.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »

I disagree.  The show is quite well written and very well acted.  The only real problem the show seems to have after listening to your complaints is that it wasn't written by you.

There's lots of fiction I like and I'm sure it's all full of plot holes.

Why do they get a pass then?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:30:07 PM by hepcat » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 24, 2011, 05:33:37 PM »

There's a fun interview w/ Robert Kirkman (not just about Season 2 premiere but other things):
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/24/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-bloodlettin/
I have to admit that Iím suffering from Michael Rooker withdrawal.

Weíre all suffering from Michael Rooker withdrawal. Thatís really all I can say on the matter. We love him. We want him back. It could happen in episode 3, could happen in episode 7, could happen in a possible third season. But weíre going to get him back. Both him and Lennie James (who plays Morgan) [walkie talkie guy and his son] brought a lot of credit to the first season and weíre absolutely dying to work those guys back into the show. Itís not something weíre going to forget. Weíre not going to abandon these characters.
The problem will come if Rick starts killing zombies while wearing a Walking Dead baseball hat.
See, thatís where I draw the line. Iím never going to have Rick walking around in a Subway t-shirt going, ďIf I could only find a submarine sandwich!Ē Thatís not cool. [I think that's a little dig at "Chuck," and its Subway stuff -- though usually it's just folks at the Buy More eating subs-bj  icon_smile]
Hey, did anyone end up getting the belatedly released Special Edition of Season 1? It has a lot more features, along with commentaries on every episode. The initial release had featurettes, though they were all stuff I'd already watched at the web site. I don't see myself getting the set again, just curious about the special features.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:36:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 24, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »

This show continues to be one of the best shows on TV - EVER.  They've been able to weave a conventional zombie story with so much emotional drama, and the acting/direction really has to be top notch to match the drama of the situations that have been created.  This show is not so much about a "realistic" depiction of the details of a zombie apocalypse as much as it is a depiction of the multitude of human reactions to a world completely gone wrong.  

Last night's ep was a really nice (slight) change of pace, much more character focused and I definitely enjoyed that, not that I don't love zombie slaying, but I am more invested in the characters than I am the zombies.  I loved watching Rick and his buddy (though that guy's giant earlobes are starting to distract me) working through the emotional devastation, and then when his wife arrives, it's another rollercoaster.  Their scenes together were poignant and heartbreaking at the same time, seeing how much these friends care about each other but with the hidden secret of infidelity simmering under the surface.  

The boy who plays Carl is excellent as well, he didn't have to do that much but even the small things he did made for a wonderful performance.  I also like what they've done with Maggie thus far, she definitely seems like she's going to be written much more interestingly than she was in the comic.  

Next week looks like it's back to more zombie slaying/running mayhem!  Can't wait for Michonne to show up, though I have a feeling it won't be til the end of the season.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: