http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:52:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 37731 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 07, 2010, 05:05:36 PM

I'm still interested in that 1-48 Walking Dead compendium. I'm not real clear on if season 1 encompasses that whole run or not. I guess if does, I might be inclinded to just pick up one of the earlier single season comic compilations.

I'd say season one ecompasses roughly issues 1-6, but like Turtle said they have definitely veered away from the series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »

Kirkman did his usual Q&A with EW about the series finale.

Spoiler-Free Q&A w/ Kirkman on the finale
http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/06/walking-dead-finale-robert-kirkman/
[about Jenner's final whisper to Grimes]
I think it’s the same thing that Bill Murray says to Scarlett Johansson at the end of Lost In Translation.

We’re not going to keep it that ambiguous, I promise.

A link there goes over to "spoilery extras," talking a bit about things in the comic that have not happened in the series. I didn't find it all that spoiler-y, just a bit more conjecture.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2010, 05:26:42 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on December 06, 2010, 06:04:36 PM

Bobehm and I were discussing this morning... from what we can gather he probably whispered in Rick's ear that...

Spoiler for Hiden:
his wife is pregnant. It'd fit with them all taking blood tests, right? By the way, I checked your blood test and your wife came back pregnant. It also fits with his whole line of "This is the humane thing to do".

I really can't believe I have 11 more months to wait for the next season.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's well known that the first thing to go during the apocalypse is birth control.

And, depending on the time line, the baby, if there is a baby, is most likely Shane's. Pregnancy hormones don't show up in a blood test until ~ 10 days or so after fertilization. Of course, I'm not sure why the Dr. would bother to look for pregnancy hormones in the first place, but that's a nit-pick....
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2010, 08:11:29 PM »

Official site had an interview with Noah Emmerich (Dr. Jenner):
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/12/noah-emmerich-interview.php
Q: So fess up. What did Jenner whisper into Rick's ear?

A: "You know the most important thing to remember in life, like the most important thing in life? If I could tell you one thing that's the most import thing to get by and have a happy life, it's that -- [Emmerich begins mumbling] -- and that's exactly what it is." Did you hear me?
So I guess he whispered, "Make sure to buy The Walking Dead DVD set in March!"  icon_razz

Oh and he revealed that he put together a short video for the Funny or Die! comedy site:
NSFW!!!!!! drool
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f2f3765e21/chilean-miner-rescue-underground-footage
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:14:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »

Was a little disappointed by how short this season was.. and it's going to be tough having to wait that long for the new one.

At least we'll have the new Spartacus starting next month to hold off us off for a bit.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2010, 01:22:16 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 06, 2010, 04:00:37 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Chekhov's hand grenade.  I had that thought at the end of the opening when he pulled it off the soldier, but I'm glad they came back to it.

As for the CDC, an insight might be to look at the Biosafety Level 4 protocols.

When dealing with biological hazards at this level the use of a Hazmat suit and a self-contained oxygen supply is mandatory. The entrance and exit of a Level Four biolab will contain multiple showers, a vacuum room, an ultraviolet light room, and other safety precautions designed to destroy all traces of the biohazard. Multiple airlocks are employed and are electronically secured to prevent both doors opening at the same time. All air and water service going to and coming from a biosafety level 4 (or P4) lab will undergo similar decontamination procedures to eliminate the possibility of an accidental release.

I'm sure some of the specifics are classified.  In a real-world example, I'm hard-pressed to believe that the entire place is loaded with scuttling charges, but I imagine that everything tied to the labs and storage very well might be.

Funny enough The AJC had this article up today about the show and the CDC.....

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2010/dec/10/walking-dead/hit-series-shows-cdc-blows-after-zombie-apocalypse/

Less big boom and more "Lysol and bleach,"  smile

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2010, 01:43:28 AM »

I'll completely forget what has happened.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2010, 01:44:47 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 10, 2010, 09:39:28 PM

Was a little disappointed by how short this season was.. and it's going to be tough having to wait that long for the new one.

just keep thinking 10 more months, 10 more months....

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2010, 01:51:01 AM »

Hmmm I didn't know it was actually filmed in Atlanta. I could drive down there and see about getting a pass to watch them film. That would rock.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2010, 01:52:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 08, 2010, 08:11:29 PM

Official site had an interview with Noah Emmerich (Dr. Jenner):
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/12/noah-emmerich-interview.php
Q: So fess up. What did Jenner whisper into Rick's ear?

A: "You know the most important thing to remember in life, like the most important thing in life? If I could tell you one thing that's the most import thing to get by and have a happy life, it's that -- [Emmerich begins mumbling] -- and that's exactly what it is." Did you hear me?
So I guess he whispered, "Make sure to buy The Walking Dead DVD set in March!"  icon_razz

LOL, or maybe 'This is how Lost ended...'

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2010, 04:31:23 AM »

Quote from: morlac on December 11, 2010, 01:22:16 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Chekhov's hand grenade.  I had that thought at the end of the opening when he pulled it off the soldier, but I'm glad they came back to it.

When dealing with biological hazards at this level the use of a Hazmat suit and a self-contained oxygen supply is mandatory. The entrance and exit of a Level Four biolab will contain multiple showers, a vacuum room, an ultraviolet light room, and other safety precautions designed to destroy all traces of the biohazard. Multiple airlocks are employed and are electronically secured to prevent both doors opening at the same time. All air and water service going to and coming from a biosafety level 4 (or P4) lab will undergo similar decontamination procedures to eliminate the possibility of an accidental release.

I'm sure some of the specifics are classified.  In a real-world example, I'm hard-pressed to believe that the entire place is loaded with scuttling charges, but I imagine that everything tied to the labs and storage very well might be.

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2010/dec/10/walking-dead/hit-series-shows-cdc-blows-after-zombie-apocalypse/

Cool find.  Thanks for posting it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 11, 2010, 01:51:01 AM

Hmmm I didn't know it was actually filmed in Atlanta. I could drive down there and see about getting a pass to watch them film. That would rock.

A good friend of the Wife and I worked on the series.  He was a stand in for Shane.  Not a glamorous position but work is work!  They were excepting applications for zombie extras last summer.  Though you would need a week as you have to attend 'zombie' classes prior to them letting you do it.  If you are interested in trying to get in let me know and when it starts filming again I will see if I can't get the info.

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2010, 01:10:45 AM »

I think Jim will be back. He'll either show up as a zombie and they'll face a moral dicision. he choose his path. Do they allow him to continue as a walker and be a danger to all or do they kill him? Then again he may find them and be normal. Perhaps Jim will be the link to a cure in the end. Somehow something he had, a cold or bug, or something he once had, will be the route to salvation.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2010, 01:11:41 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 11, 2010, 04:31:23 AM

Quote from: morlac on December 11, 2010, 01:22:16 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Cool find.  Thanks for posting it.

+1.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

There's a nice little feature at EW...

Exclusive: How will we survive without 'The Walking Dead'? Exec producers Robert Kirkman and Gale Anne Hurd offer some suggestions
http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/09/the-walking-dead-kirkman/
Wait for the Walking Dead DVD
Okay, so this suggestion isn’t much more helpful than saying “Wait for Walking Dead season two,” given that the first season DVD won’t hit stores until March 8, 2011. But according to Gale Anne Hurd, it’ll be worth the wait.

“It’s going to have a lot of incredible extras, I can assure you,” says the Walking Dead executive producer. “Constantine Nasr, who has done the behind the scenes EPKs on most of Frank’s films, was with us from pre-production all the way through post-production. There has been a lot of behind the scenes materials posted on the AMC site, but there’s at least twice as much more that will be included in the DVD.”
On the top 5 zombie films, I'm not qualified to disagree with an expert, but my brother and I saw Day of the Dead in 1985 and were bored to tears until it's all-out-grossness finale. Somehow the no-name actors in Dawn of the Dead were appealing and we rooted for them; the bad, loud actors in Day of the Dead, we just couldn't get behind. I don't mind talky zombie films or shows, but if all the characters just seem repellent or annoying, you're left rooting for the zombies.  icon_razz

I almost picked up Romero's most recent Diary of the Dead (very cheap now on DVD), but figured I'd wait on that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:13:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »

I stumbled onto a fan site called Homepage of the Dead. Although it's primarily about George A. Romero and his films, they have been doing some interviews with cast and producers for The Walking Dead too...

The interviews with Jeffrey DeMunn (Dale) recently, and producer Gale Anne Hurd back in October are over here:
Bits and Pieces of The Dead
http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/
Quote from: DeMunn
Well, was it a situation where Frank Darabont just offered you the role or did you have to audition for AMC?

No, he called me up and he said ‘Do you want to come kill zombies in Atlanta?’, and I said sure.
*I had forgotten DeMunn was one of the prison guards in The Green Mile.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:39:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »

I hadn't played Left 4 Dead 2 in ages. I missed this recent poll, posted on the L4D2 News page:
Last poll asked if you were watching the television series The Walking Dead. If it is available in your area -- you are. 55% of [XBox] 360 players and 49% of PC players are watching. 20% of the PC players did not have it available in their area, compared to 15% on the 360. This variation matches the geographical makeup of each player base as there is a slightly greater international mix of players on the PC.
I'll grant that surveying players of a zombie shooter if they're watching The Walking Dead maybe isn't all that enlightening. Maybe polling people who generally have no interest in anything Zombie but enjoyed AMC's series anyway might be more useful. Though that's clearly out of Steam's scope.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »

A little kudo for Andrew Lincoln:
16 Breakout Stars of 2010
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20430932_20452138_20890409,00.html

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »

A friend of mine bought me the Compendium One (I think it includes the first 48 issues of the comic) of The Walking Dead, and I'm about 3/4 through it now (I think it has like a thousand pages).  I have to say it's some of the most riveting and compelling reading/comicing I've had ever.  Some times I just can't put it down without making myself feel better about where the characters are.  Other times I force myself to put it down because I don't want to run out of content too soon.  I find myself feeling the need to talk to someone about some of the storylines, as they just are too disturbing or incredible to hold in.  Generally with comics I'm kind of picky on art style, and I rarely if ever go for black and white comics, but with this one, coupled with the TV show as an inspiration, just transcends all my normal concerns with flat out great storytelling.  It's interesting to see how quickly the show diverged from the comics, but my guess is they may bring in some of the major characters/plotlines in the upcoming season(s).

Spoiler for Hiden:
Michonne is too awesome a character to not introduce.  Same thing with the Governor, gotta be one of the best villains ever.  I'm wondering if they won't veer into the prison location at some point, as it seems like such a huge part of the comic series.

One thing I am having trouble remembering from the TV show - did they establish that the bite itself was what transferred the virus?  Did the CDC guy say where it started?  In the comic they distinctly tell you the bite only kills the victim, but the infection is in everyone regardless, i.e. they will turn into zombies if/when they die regardless of how they die.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm of the exact opposite frame of mind.  IMHO, Michonne has always been the weakest character in the series.  The strength of the story lies in its grounding in characters like you and me tossed into that world of fantastical horror. Adding characters from Kill Bill to the story lessens it for me.  

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 11, 2011, 08:16:24 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm of the exact opposite frame of mind.  IMHO, Michonne has always been the weakest character in the series.  The strength of the story lies in its grounding in characters like you and me tossed into that world of fantastical horror. Adding characters from Kill Bill to the story lessens it for me.  

I know what you mean, and I was really skeptical at first, but I think if handled well by the right actress (I was thinking Gina Torres) with the group that's doing the show, it could be a fantastic breakout role.  They could soften some of the comic-book-y stuff and emphasize more of the human drama, which looks like the direction the show wants to take regardless.  I would just write the character as even more mysterious, still kick ass enough to convince you she survived on her own, but maybe even more haunted (broken?) by what she had to do or sacrifice to make it. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:50 AM »

I completely forgot to mention this to faithful series fans or folks hoping to catch what they might have missed, but AMC is showing a complete The Walking Dead marathon split between tonight (Tuesday) and tomorrow night (Wednesday).  Right now the very first episode is just over halfway so you haven't missed much.  Although that depends on whether cable providers across the country are showing the series at the same time. 

Odds are this won't be the last time they replay the series, but if you've been going through withdrawal since Season 1's end, now's your chance to catch it over again.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »

I read the entire compendium in 3 days. I'm kind of sad now because it's ruined the TV show for me. The comic is just so awesome, the TV show can't possibly compare. Now I need to find the rest in trades.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2011, 02:23:23 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 19, 2011, 02:16:00 AM

The comic is just so awesome, the TV show can't possibly compare.

Have you watched any of it, or are you making an assumption?  Because many would argue that the show has surprisingly lived up to the standard set by the graphic comic, as this comparison might suggest (courtesy of Ceekay). 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »

I just finished Compendium One, and wow, just wow.  Every time I think they couldn't surprise or shock me more, they do.  And then they slap me around a few more times for good measure.  Just unbelievable stuff.  I haven't been able to shake what I read this morning all day, it's all just so horrible (in a good way, I guess).
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 19, 2011, 02:23:23 AM

The comic is just so awesome, the TV show can't possibly compare.

Have you watched any of it, or are you making an assumption?  Because many would argue that the show has surprisingly lived up to the standard set by the graphic comic, as this comparison might suggest (courtesy of Ceekay). 

It will be interesting to see how the TV show deals with the loss/sacrifice of major characters.  The comic is not shy about losing pretty much anyone of interest (good or bad), but realistically I don't think the TV show can do the same thing without alienating a significant portion of the audience.  I do expect the TV cast to lose a couple of the major players over the next couple seasons, but doubtful it will move with the pacing of the comic.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »

I read the entire compendium in 3 days. I'm kind of sad now because it's ruined the TV show for me. The comic is just so awesome, the TV show can't possibly compare. Now I need to find the rest in trades.

Robert Kirkman has said that he added things to the TV show to keep it interesting for die hard fans of the comic.  Give it a shot.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2011, 12:40:58 AM »

For those interested or anyone who unfortunately missed the last few replays of the series, this Friday night they're showing a Walking Dead marathon on AMC once again, all in one night, beginning at 8pm ET/PT (I assume that means it'll start at 8pm regardless of coast, but I'm not sure what that means for those of us living in non-daylight-savings land - Edit:  Looks like it starts at 6pm here in Phoenix.   icon_cool ).  Also, the DVD and Blu-ray are scheduled for release on March 8th.

I'm once again hoping to convince my wife to give it a try.  Unfortunately she has been adamantly against it thus far, so I'm not very optimistic.  She simply cannot look past the inclusion of zombies.   retard
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:43:13 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2011, 12:47:45 AM »

What it likely means is that it will start at 8 Eastern and re-run at 11 Eastern, which means that it will start at 5 and 8 Pacific.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2011, 12:51:26 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 01, 2011, 12:47:45 AM

What it likely means is that it will start at 8 Eastern and re-run at 11 Eastern, which means that it will start at 5 and 8 Pacific.

I think your math is off unless they've found some way to compress all 6 episodes into 3 hours.

Because I can,
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2011, 12:58:16 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 01, 2011, 12:40:58 AM

For those interested or anyone who unfortunately missed the last few replays of the series, this Friday night they're showing a Walking Dead marathon on AMC once again, all in one night, beginning at 8pm ET/PT (I assume that means it'll start at 8pm regardless of coast, but I'm not sure what that means for those of us living in non-daylight-savings land - Edit:  Looks like it starts at 6pm here in Phoenix.   icon_cool ).  Also, the DVD and Blu-ray are scheduled for release on March 8th.

I'm once again hoping to convince my wife to give it a try.  Unfortunately she has been adamantly against it thus far, so I'm not very optimistic.  She simply cannot look past the inclusion of zombies.   retard

Woohoo!  Undeadapalooza!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2011, 01:10:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 01, 2011, 12:51:26 AM

I think your math is off unless they've found some way to compress all 6 episodes into 3 hours.

From what I've read it seems to be starting at 8pm Eastern and also 8pm Pacific, but 7pm Central, and 6pm Mountain.  Not sure why Pacific residents are getting the shaft. 

Quote from: Flatlander on March 01, 2011, 12:58:16 AM

Woohoo!  Undeadapalooza!

Something worth noting that makes this marathon even more special (from Geeks of Doom): 

Throughout the marathon exclusive content will be shown, including interviews with Greg Nicotero, the man behind the special effects make-up, as well as executive producers Frank Darabont, Gale Anne Hurd, and Robert Kirkman, the latter of whom is the creator of the comic book series on which the television series is based.

Bring your own!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2011, 10:11:10 PM »

A wee update from Kirkman on Season 1 DVD set, and Season 2...

Robert Kirkman on 'Walking Dead' season two: 'You haven't seen anything yet'
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/02/walking-dead-season-two-details/
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What makes the DVD a must buy for fans?
ROBERT KIRKMAN: There’s a lot of cool behind-the-scenes footage, we had a great guy on set every minute of every day to catch a lot of candid footage and it’s put into bunch of documentaries. Plus, of course, we have the six episodes.

The first season alternated mainly between the camp site and Atlanta. What will the setting be for season 2?

I don’t know if I can go into that, but I know [showrunner Frank Darabont] has said we’re going to see Hershel’s farm. We’re looking to take some picturesque rural landscapes and playing with that and coming up with some cool zombie visuals. We’ll see some of the locations of the first season, but we’re going to mainly focus on breaking new ground. Oh, and we’re going to feature a lava planet. [a joke?-bj  confused]

Of course, the survivors have to stop at Mustafar. How much Rick vs. Shane drama is going to play into season 2?
That’s definitely the core dynamic that’s going on, but there’s a lot of other interesting stuff in the mix. We’re going to seeing a lot of Andrea and a lot more of Laurie.

How much is Frank Darabont writing/directing?
He’s focusing on writing. He’s in writers room every day. I’m writing some episodes and he’s writing some episodes. We’re trying to figure out what we’re doing with the directing right now. The logistics and also being big part of the writers room will limit his time.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2011, 11:26:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 01, 2011, 12:51:26 AM

I tend to forget that some of the richer networks have a separate West Coast feed.  I checked TV Guide and they're running all of it in one swoop, so AMC must have a West Coast feed.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2011, 08:11:22 AM »

I watched it to the bloody end a few minutes ago (3 a.m. Eastern). It's a real treat to watch all the episodes back-to-back.

I almost picked up the massive comics compendium tonight, but in the end, I thought it'd be better to go into season 2 completely  unawares.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

Keep at it.... My wife was the same way, but I kept pushing her and then "accidently" started it from the Tivo while we were eating... She ended up enjoying it and Zombies/horror are definately not her thing usually (Other than the Resident Evil series)...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on March 05, 2011, 09:17:26 AM

Keep at it.... My wife was the same way, but I kept pushing her and then "accidently" started it from the Tivo while we were eating... She ended up enjoying it and Zombies/horror are definately not her thing usually (Other than the Resident Evil series)...

OTOH, I tried repeatedly to get my wife into it, leaving Entertainment Weekly articles around, reminding her that she didn't think she'd like Buffy or Battlestar Galactica either.  Past success had her give it a go.  I know she enjoyed the first couple while we watched them, but I had to go through the whole process every time to get her to watch the next episode.  We still have the last three sitting on the DVR.  I think it's a lost cause.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »

Some people don't respond to "hard sell," whether in games, movies, TV shows, books etc. I don't know some sneaky way you can just kind of "steer her" towards "discovering" the show on her own - maybe that's the way.  icon_smile

I remember telling my best friend how much I liked Iron Man in 2008, and it didn't even sound like he had any interest in seeing it. Then when we saw Iron Man 2 on opening weekend, he was complaining it "wasn't as much fun as Iron Man." I think once I sort of backed off of telling him how much I liked IM, he did go see it and enjoy it.

There was a nice interview snippet yesterday where the makeup expert Craig Nicotero mentioned being at a restaurant and seeing a 70-ish old woman say, "I need to head home now to make sure I don't miss The Walking Dead tonight!" indicated they'd achieved what they wanted in terms of making the show's appeal wide enough that people who wouldn't be caught dead -- so to speak -- watching a zombie movie still became fans of the show.  icon_cool

I think also watching a show once a week, or catching up once a week in syndication, is a wholly different experience than watching all the episodes back-to-back (even a short series like Walking Dead Series 1). I think you can get into it faster as a new fan doing the latter.

I might get my brother the set for his b-day (which is Sunday). It's just I KNOW my sister-in-law "wouldn't approve" (example -- she stomped out of Iron Man during the Afghanistan sequences and proclaimed the movie "horrible" based on watching maybe 17 minutes; I can see her stomping out after the child zombie sequence in the Walking Dead episode 1) and of course he'd have to sort of sneak over to the TV in the wee hours to watch it, maybe with headphones on. Maybe that's the ideal way to watch it?  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:07:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »

Oh, bit of an update on Season 2 from EW, from a Paley Center panel discussion/tribute:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/05/the-walking-dead-season-2/
Executive Producer Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption) described season two as “challenging, dark s—.”  The deepening love triangle between Rick (Andrew Lincoln), Lori (Sarah Wayne Callies) and Shane (Jon Bernthal) will be a focus, as will the characters adapting to a harsh new world. Forget the threat of zombies: They now have to contend with contaminated water, a lack of medicine, and more than a few standard explosions.

Darabont also promised that season two will start off where season one left off, noting that he wants his characters in a “reactive phase.”  He said they’ll be “testing the possibilities” of the violent Merle (Michael Rooker), whom some fans suspect may be the Governor, a twisted and iconic character from the comic.
I suspect the Paley Center discussion might go into the Season 2 DVD (for The Office, some stores like Target packed in a video of a panel discussion as a bonus for a past season some  years ago). Also, those usually show up on YouTube at some point.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:17:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »

Merle was not the Governor on the comic. Lame lame lame spin.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: