http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:27:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 37650 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2010, 05:21:54 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 09, 2010, 05:18:54 PM

I agree That the guts thing was new and created some of the most tense moments I have ever experienced in a television, once i stopped laughing at sausage links hanging around their necks smile

You do know that sausage casings are made of intestines, right?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »

I'm Polish so that is learned at birth.  They just looked like sausage links hanging from the necks and not intestines. 

morlac00 on PSN
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 09, 2010, 05:18:54 PM

I agree That the guts thing was new and created some of the most tense moments I have ever experienced in a television, once i stopped laughing at sausage links hanging around their necks smile

I dunno. That seemed familar to me. Either something I read or had seen in another zombie movie where that was tried. The blending in thing certainly has been done going way back to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But for whatever reason it didn't seem a new concept to me. I'm probably just geeking out on zombie lore knowledge.

As for the moral dilemma that would have probably worked better if the guy wasn't such a threat. He was ready to fight and potentionally kill others. If he was released that likely would have happened again so why let them go? If the person was someone who was weak, confused and in need of assistance it would have been more impactful. I think they missed the mark on it.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 09, 2010, 07:34:56 PM

As for the moral dilemma that would have probably worked better if the guy wasn't such a threat. He was ready to fight and potentionally kill others. If he was released that likely would have happened again so why let them go? If the person was someone who was weak, confused and in need of assistance it would have been more impactful. I think they missed the mark on it.

Yea probably, but he was the end of the slippery slope that the others started on by just leaving him there to starve and rot.  Sure he was easy to leave but the next decision won't be so easy and the next and next, etc.  look at the refugee camp, they had an argument about trying to go and help the scavanger crew or just leave them to their own fate.  Having not read the comics I get a feeling that the willing lose of ones own humanity in a world that has little left is going to be a central theme.  Survival of the fittest and all but at the cost of what makes human beings well human.  Giving that up to breathe another day just makes you like the souless zombie.  It should be more interesting then the blind consumerism theme of other zombie flicks.  Of course I am most likely looking to deep into this but it's fun.  Zombie face   saywhat

morlac00 on PSN
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:10:33 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:10:25 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2010, 07:23:03 AM »

OMG..Just watched this back to back..pilot plus 2nd ep. Wife and I love it. Can't wait to see what happens next. first time I've seen zombies eat more than human. rat was awesome *cough* Love the show.

I also loved seeing and hearing the Challenger car in the ep. that car oozes badass and all it gets is bad press. I'd trade my Mustang for it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:16:10 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2010, 07:53:20 AM »

awesome that this got renewed!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2010, 08:23:31 AM »

Can someone tell me the time that Rick was in a coma? I thought it was 3 weeks but after seeing some stuff Im wondering if it wasn't longer.

And umm even if it was 3 weeks shouldn't he have pooped and pissed himself beyong measure in thhat bed? You'd think he would have died of thirst or hunger man.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 08, 2010, 07:44:15 AM

a little bummed they didn't keep the longer format myself.  the haven't wrapped up the first book either.  so far, this is really looking like a good series so i hope it does well enough to get another season. 

yeah, 90 minute episodes would have rocked.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/survival-test

did the test. got the pic of Rick..Natural Leader...cant seem to link the results. I'm NOT a Facebook or Twitter person!!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »

Quote from: morlac on November 05, 2010, 10:41:18 PM

I was surprised at how well the acting was.  That and the writing/pacing just drew me right in.  Wife and I both loved it.  I dreamed of zombies after watching it so you know it's good!

they didn't half ass it, that's for sure.  Darabont can be a pretty big gun.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2010, 04:04:54 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2010, 02:54:37 AM

When you say you loved the final scene, are you referring to the Dodge commercial?   icon_wink

It made me want to go out and buy one.

Edit to add, don't car alarms stop when the engine is started? Also, a screwdriver in the ignition? Seriously, that's all it takes to steal a Dodge Challenger?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:08:27 PM by Moliere » Logged

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 10, 2010, 08:23:31 AM

Can someone tell me the time that Rick was in a coma? I thought it was 3 weeks but after seeing some stuff Im wondering if it wasn't longer.

And umm even if it was 3 weeks shouldn't he have pooped and pissed himself beyong measure in thhat bed? You'd think he would have died of thirst or hunger man.
Dae, a review of The Walking Dead compendium about the comic books mentions:
http://www.bookalicious.net/?p=1098
Itís the zombie apocalypse and you wake up abruptly into it after a month in a gunshot wound induced coma only to find your wife and son gone with your lovesick police partner to a camp just outside Atlanta, which has rapidly descended into a city for those walking dead.
Now I'm not certain that's spelled out specifically in the comic or if the compendium just is generalizing about the coma length. But it is an "official" compendium by Image Comics.

I try to assume that the IVs stuck on him took care of his nutrients. He might have had a catheter draining out his urine. I assume nurses, up to a point, were taking care of his bedpans. We're not really given any insight on knowing at what point the hospital staff abandoned the hospital or were all just plain eaten - maybe they were cleaning him up right up until a day or two before he wakes up. Or maybe his hospital bed was full of poop for all we know -- I'd just as soon that not be illustrated.  icon_razz
----------

As far as the Challenger goes, I would assume hotwiring the engine to start it as opposed to using the properly encoded "Sentry key" (a feature most Challenger models apparently now have) would not shut off the alarm automatically. Even if that's not true, lets just assume it so people don't stay awake all night wondering why the alarm continued.  icon_smile

Read about the Challenger here:
http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/challenger/performance/engine/
Supposedly it can go from zero to 100 back to zero in 17 seconds. I think I might throw up if I did that.  confused icon_lol
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:38:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 10, 2010, 07:23:03 AM

I also loved seeing and hearing the Challenger car in the ep. that car oozes badass and all it gets is bad press. I'd trade my Mustang for it.

Living in Atlanta I have dreamed of doing exactly what happens at the end numerous times. I-285 just does this giant loop around the city. 

morlac00 on PSN
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:10:16 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »

The mostly inept crew were lead by the best 'scavanger' they had.  Also, the lead guy made the situation much more diffilcult due to all the noise he made.  Ienpt crew snuck in quitely as oppesed to guns blazing galloping down the street yelling 'Hiyo silver!'

morlac00 on PSN
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on November 10, 2010, 04:49:49 PM

We learn from the father/son he meets upon going home that the radio stopped broadcasting about 3 weeks after the outbreak and later from his wife learn that they decided to head to Atlanta after he had been in the coma for about 3 weeks.  Figuring for some overlap and however long it's been since the radio went out we can guess he was in a coma for 4-6 weeks.

If that's indeed the case,
Spoiler for Hiden:
his wife had to have been cheating on him with his partner since before the shooting.  You don't go from losing your spouse to shacking up with someone else like that in that short period of time.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »

I should not over think it. Just enjoy it.

And rick on the spoiler...yes that's what my wife pointed out to me. smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »

I need to make it a point to watch the first two episodes tonight finally.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 10, 2010, 07:04:06 PM

And rick on the spoiler...yes that's what my wife pointed out to me. smile

Yeah, my wife and I were discussing it after the first episode, but it became much clearer after the opening scene in the woods.  Granted, without a clear timeline of how long it's been, there really is no way to tell.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:10:02 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on November 10, 2010, 07:47:04 PM

And yeah, Rick has a lot to learn about living in a zombie infested post apocalyptic world still.  It also kind of bothers me that upon waking up he made no effort to get dressed or grab an actual motor vehicle.  At the very least, given the condition of the hospital, you'd probably at least want something on your feet.

I can pass this off as him being completely disoriented from coming out of a coma.  When he gets to his house, he collapses on the floor and starts telling himself to wake up.  Some of the other stuff you mentioned, yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. Then again, it's a zombie TV show.  slywink
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:09:52 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 10, 2010, 07:23:03 AM

I also loved seeing and hearing the Challenger car in the ep. that car oozes badass and all it gets is bad press.

Huh? It's gotten good reviews.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2010, 01:04:31 AM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on November 10, 2010, 07:47:04 PM

Quote from: morlac on November 10, 2010, 06:33:44 PM

The mostly inept crew were lead by the best 'scavanger' they had.  Also, the lead guy made the situation much more diffilcult due to all the noise he made.  Ienpt crew snuck in quitely as oppesed to guns blazing galloping down the street yelling 'Hiyo silver!'

They also chose to bring with them a meth-addled redneck who took the first chance he got to do some shootin' off the roof and was excessively aggressive towards the rest of the group.  I can understand why they'd do it to introduce all the characters in an easier to digest manner instead of having 2+ episodes of one or two people and then all of a sudden here's a dozen more, but it just seems like they were too willing to put themselves into a situation that was destined to blow up well before they could accomplish anything.

Good point. Though he was the 'muscle' and had guns (and knew how to use them, recall the only other one packing heat did not know about the saftey), which they most likely thought they needed since the were upping the ante by trying to do a big scavenge instead of a one man show. Plus I'm not sure they knew he was a meth head, though they knew he was a wild card.  Also he didn't start shooting until the place was pretty well surrounded thanks to them rescuing the guy out of the tank.  Of course he went bat shit insane at that point prolly thanks to a fix from his meth pipe smile

morlac00 on PSN
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 10, 2010, 06:40:18 PM

Quote from: joeyjazz on November 10, 2010, 04:49:49 PM

We learn from the father/son he meets upon going home that the radio stopped broadcasting about 3 weeks after the outbreak and later from his wife learn that they decided to head to Atlanta after he had been in the coma for about 3 weeks.  Figuring for some overlap and however long it's been since the radio went out we can guess he was in a coma for 4-6 weeks.

If that's indeed the case,
Spoiler for Hiden:
his wife had to have been cheating on him with his partner since before the shooting.  You don't go from losing your spouse to shacking up with someone else like that in that short period of time.

Possible Major spoilers
Spoiler for Hiden:
IIRC, in the comics, it is explained more like a heat of the moment/survival thing... Rick has been in a coma for a while prior to the outbreak... Then when it happens, they can't take him and head to Atlanta. They don't get to drive all the way to Atlanta, they have to work part of the way and are in survival mode... Rick's wife becomes closer to Shane, however, it is Shane that pushes the issue.. At some point during the travels they hook up as a human comfort type thing and they suspect that Rick is gone for good due to the condition of the world during their travels. (When they left Rick, they really thought it was going to be all OK and that the shelter would be fine... they had no idea how screwed up everything really was.) Shane has been into Rick's wife for a while however and sees this as his opportunity....
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »

AMC won't renew Rubicon:
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/11/11/amc-cancels-rubicon/

Which just makes me think, if all of AMC's shows had zombies in them, wouldn't they all have better ratings? Ya know, if all the guys Brian Cranston's character had to kill came back to try to eat him, and his killed brother-in-law DEA agent came back to life to try to eat him, wouldn't Breaking Bad be that much better?  icon_razz And maybe I could finally get into Mad Men if everyone was a well-dressed hungry zombie instead of a well-dressed, sex-obsessed ad agency employee...

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:09:05 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on November 11, 2010, 10:39:29 PM

Quote from: Punisher on November 11, 2010, 05:11:47 PM

Possible Major spoilers
Spoiler for Hiden:
IIRC, in the comics, it is explained more like a heat of the moment/survival thing... Rick has been in a coma for a while prior to the outbreak... Then when it happens, they can't take him and head to Atlanta. They don't get to drive all the way to Atlanta, they have to work part of the way and are in survival mode... Rick's wife becomes closer to Shane, however, it is Shane that pushes the issue.. At some point during the travels they hook up as a human comfort type thing and they suspect that Rick is gone for good due to the condition of the world during their travels. (When they left Rick, they really thought it was going to be all OK and that the shelter would be fine... they had no idea how screwed up everything really was.) Shane has been into Rick's wife for a while however and sees this as his opportunity....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, they're handling that whole situation different in the TV series and I'm not really enjoying those changes at all.  You can actually kind of empathize with her in the comic since she regrets what she did and genuinely and truly loves Rick, saying that they're perfect for each other.  In the TV series so far she's just a cheating bitch.

This.  What sealed it for me was the scene in the woods with the necklace.   disgust
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
How exactly do you "cheat" on someone you assume is already dead? I'll grant that it's tasteless to be doing that so presumably soon, but I don't venture to guess how anyone would react under "zombies take over the world and I left my husband in a coma in a zombie-overrun hospital" circumstances. Chances are, one's value system would get pretty screwed up imho. And the screenwriters want to build conflict, etc., so now we get to see how the deputy takes all this.

Ironically, Stephen King's "The Mist" has a sex tryst scene in the grocery store that reminded me of episode 2's opening sex scene, and I remember reading it in The Mist and thinking "WTF are these people doing screwing like jack rabbits in a grocery store surrounded by monsters?" Screenwriters seem to like to assume people will do that to work off stress, find some physical comfort, etc. under duress.
Me, I just play videogames for comfort when I'm surrounded by monsters or zombies.  icon_razz

It's a shame we don't seem to have a single female GT member who can ever give a different viewpoint on these kinds of things.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 11, 2010, 10:58:32 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
How exactly do you "cheat" on someone you assume is already dead? I'll grant that it's tasteless to be doing that so presumably soon, but I don't venture to guess how anyone would react under "zombies take over the world and I left my husband in a coma in a zombie-overrun hospital" circumstances. Chances are, one's value system would get pretty screwed up imho. And the screenwriters want to build conflict, etc., so now we get to see how the deputy takes all this.

Ironically, Stephen King's "The Mist" has a sex tryst scene in the grocery store that reminded me of episode 2's opening sex scene, and I remember reading it in The Mist and thinking "WTF are these people doing screwing like jack rabbits in a grocery store surrounded by monsters?" Screenwriters seem to like to assume people will do that to work off stress, find some physical comfort, etc. under duress.

Spoiler for Hiden:
To me, it's not that she's cheating after the fact, but that she already seems to be so emotionally involved with Shane after  (presumably) only a few weeks.  Yes, you don't know how people would react under such conditions, so I'll judge with the conditions I know - and being that it looks like she's emotionally involved, they were probably fucking behind his back before he got shot.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »

I agree
Spoiler for Hiden:
We think this was going on long before the outbreak of world ending zombies. The kid may not even be Rick's. She is a bitch. They leave him in the hospital and forget him to go off in the woods and bump uglies. I hope he leaves her but can stay close to them for his son's sake. I think his friend is an asset to the cause even if he is a weasel.

Ok these zombies. They have to be alive some how. They have a hunger for flesh. So what happens when the flesh is all gone? Either the survivors can hold them off or all survivors and animals are dead and gone. How long can the zombies subsist on nothing?

And just how did this one start? And where? Is it nationwide, worldwide, or just statewide?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2010, 04:22:44 AM »

It's a shame we don't seem to have a single female GT member who can ever give a different viewpoint on these kinds of things.

we got rick.

Because I can,
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2010, 05:21:33 AM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:08:53 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2010, 05:40:59 AM »

max brooks explores the eating aspect in world war Z.  basically, it's a shred of humanity that remains and manifests as the upper functions of the zombie brain are destroyed, leaving the baser instincts.  attacking prey and "feeding" on their kills. he even goes to describe what happened to some zombies where it ate enough to push rotting meat through the gi tract and deposit it into their pants.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2010, 04:33:28 AM »

just a heads up AMC is repeating the first 2 episodes Sunday starting at 8pm, leading up to the newest episode at 10.  I'm not sure how they plan on stuffing the 2 and a half hours it took to originally air them into 2 hours though.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:52 PM »

So what did you guys think about #3? It was a little heavy on the soap opera for me, though I guess necessary for character development. Still, I wanted...
Spoiler for Hiden:
more zombies! icon_razz

The soap part was...
The deputy's not really dead!
Did the wife just assume he was dead or, oh no, his best friend told the deputy's wife he was dead, but he wasn't!
Do they tell him they're fooling around, or not?
Do they save the bigot on the roof or not?
Does he saw off the chain, or his arm? [We probably all saw that coming from a mile away]

At the end, I'm figuring Michael Rooker's character fashioned a tourniquet from his belt and then did his Saw impression.

I was torn at the end between rooting for the deputy's best friend to beat the crap out of the abusive guy, and fearing what he might do if he directs that anger at Deputy Grimes or his family out of resentment/envy. Maybe that tension's there on purpose. If those two got in a fight, that would be interesting.  icon_smile

They only have 3 episodes left. I hope there's more left to their travels than "leave Atlanta, go back to Atlanta, leave Atlanta, go back to Atlanta, lather, rinse repeat."  icon_smile
I still found it gripping, and it's fun to have something on TV that I rush to the couch to watch.  icon_smile

EW has a *SPOILER* recap, and then a funny interview with Kirkman:
Kirkman did the screenplay for episode 4 so that'll be fun to see how that plays out.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:09:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Me, I just play videogames for comfort when I'm surrounded by monsters or zombies.  icon_razz

Since I'm the closest thing to a female GT member (other than CK), I'll just say this should have been handled with.... a 3-way!  Yeeeehaaaawwww!!!  You go girl!!!!

OK, but seriously....

Spoiler for Hiden:
I did the math too and no matter how you slice it it doesn't come up good for our hero.  Either the affair began before the shooting, or after she found out he was dead, she got over her grief in the matter of days/weeks - not to mention with their son, a constant reminder of her "dead" husband sleeping in the tent next to her.

That said, I kind of have to agree with BJ's analysis.  The fact is no one knows how people would react in a zombie apocalypse scenario.  If you're on the run, terrified, knowing every minute you may have your brains eaten by a zombie, maybe the hyper stress and adrenaline would make you insanely horny too.  So if some piece of hunky beef throws himself at you, why not?  I think part of the fun/interest/difficulty in these types of doomsday scenarios is portraying how different people will act/react, whether it's with anger, fear, depression, or horniness.

Or maybe it was just that Sarah Wayne Callies had it in her contract that she was not gonna wait 3 years to get laid (see Prison Break  icon_wink ).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2010, 02:26:52 AM »

Don't forget about the Dead! About a half hour away. icon_smile

I believe this (Episode 4) is the episode written by the comic's creator Robert Kirkman, and he promised (in interviews) that it has a little bit of everything that the first three episodes had.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: