http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 06:16:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Walking Dead tap dances onto AMC for Season 4  (Read 41386 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: October 15, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »

I also missed that the kid's eyes were the same as the odd-eyed zombie that they showed over and over again so you wouldn't miss the connection at the end.  Derp.

I was figuring a non-zombie virus as well, which could certainly get them up and running again, since it seems to be the local water that's the problem (they did linger on the shower head for a while).

And clearly, Hershel couldn't be tending to the pig, since he's too busy hobbling around as the default wise man due to his age.  All that advice isn't going to give itself, you know.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 15, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 15, 2013, 01:20:35 PM

I also missed that the kid's eyes were the same as the odd-eyed zombie that they showed over and over again so you wouldn't miss the connection at the end.  Derp.

I was figuring a non-zombie virus as well, which could certainly get them up and running again, since it seems to be the local water that's the problem (they did linger on the shower head for a while).

And clearly, Hershel couldn't be tending to the pig, since he's too busy hobbling around as the default wise man due to his age.  All that advice isn't going to give itself, you know.

To me the shower scene did two things, 1. It showed him standing over the water container and dipping his hands into it, thereby more than likely contaminating the water source. 2. It also showed him trying to cool off from a super high fever and then dropping dead from it. So the lingering in the shower room made sense to me.

Also, I am betting on some sort of swine flu that infects people, and when they die they get the bloody eyes. Too many clues pointing to that to be coincidence.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 15, 2013, 01:37:21 PM

To me the shower scene did two things, 1. It showed him standing over the water container and dipping his hands into it, thereby more than likely contaminating the water source. 2. It also showed him trying to cool off from a super high fever and then dropping dead from it. So the lingering in the shower room made sense to me.

Also, I am betting on some sort of swine flu that infects people, and when they die they get the bloody eyes. Too many clues pointing to that to be coincidence.

I wasn't talking about lingering in the room.  There was a CU shot that lingered on the water dripping from the shower head.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 15, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 15, 2013, 02:52:23 PM

I wasn't talking about lingering in the room.  There was a CU shot that lingered on the water dripping from the shower head.

I just took that (the flowing water) as symbolism for the kid's life, i.e. it was over, just the last little bit was dribbling out. But on reflection, it could also point to water as being a vector for this new disease. Especially if they find a dead pig floating in their water supply tank next week, heh.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:07 AM »

Quote from: Toe on October 15, 2013, 06:04:37 PM

I just took that (the flowing water) as symbolism for the kid's life, i.e. it was over, just the last little bit was dribbling out. But on reflection, it could also point to water as being a vector for this new disease. Especially if they find a dead pig floating in their water supply tank next week, heh.

I'm not sure about the water. It's not a vector in flu transmission (as pigs are) and it looked like the shower water was isolated in its own barrel. But water did figure into the episode several times and we don't know that it's a flu virus. Harry Potter's rapid death points to a hemorrhagic fever like ebola.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:14 PM »

Hooray!  Michael Cuddly joining the cast!

http://tvline.com/2013/10/11/the-walking-dead-season-4-michael-cudlitz-sgt-abraham-ford/#!1/twd-eugene-porter/

I feel bad because I don't really remember this character from the comic books at all.

Also you guys may have posted about this earlier but I also read they were planning a spinoff series?  Is that real?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »

looks like ratings for the premiere were OK.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: October 17, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2013, 12:14:54 AM

That is amazing. I wish I could get someone to turn my series into an epic TV show!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 17, 2013, 06:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on October 17, 2013, 04:13:44 PM

That is amazing. I wish I could get someone to turn my series into an epic TV show!

maybe you could shop it to the CW, they could through in some teen angst and make all the zombies look like underwear models slywink

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 17, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2013, 06:11:44 PM

maybe you could shop it to the CW, they could through in some teen angst and make all the zombies look like underwear models slywink

also hire a shirtless Amell, there have to be a few more of them out there!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »

Emily Kinney is growing on me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 18, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 18, 2013, 03:36:41 PM

holy shit, she's 28 years old?  now I don't feel so dirty thinking she's hot.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 18, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2013, 03:40:34 PM

Quote from: msduncan on October 18, 2013, 03:36:41 PM

holy shit, she's 28 years old?  now I don't feel so dirty thinking she's hot.

I had the exact same thought almost word for word.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 18, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2013, 06:11:44 PM

You mean, make them all look like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. cast members, right?  smirk

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 21, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 16, 2013, 03:03:07 AM

Quote from: Toe on October 15, 2013, 06:04:37 PM

I also missed that the kid's eyes were the same as the odd-eyed zombie that they showed over and over again so you wouldn't miss the connection at the end.  Derp.

And clearly, Hershel couldn't be tending to the pig, since he's too busy hobbling around as the default wise man due to his age.  All that advice isn't going to give itself, you know.

I wasn't talking about lingering in the room.  There was a CU shot that lingered on the water dripping from the shower head.

I'm not sure about the water. It's not a vector in flu transmission (as pigs are) and it looked like the shower water was isolated in its own barrel. But water did figure into the episode several times and we don't know that it's a flu virus. Harry Potter's rapid death points to a hemorrhagic fever like ebola.

Just want to point out that
Spoiler for Hiden:
the woman with the rock paper scissors bracelet spent some pointed time at the sink while being stalked by the geek zombie.

It's definitely the water. Probably not all of the water, but one source.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1095 on: October 21, 2013, 02:59:18 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 21, 2013, 02:42:17 AM

Just want to point out that
Spoiler for Hiden:
the woman with the rock paper scissors bracelet spent some pointed time at the sink while being stalked by the geek zombie.

It's definitely the water. Probably not all of the water, but one source.

I noticed that, too. Flu viruses are transmitted through the air and on surfaces, not by water...but we're only guessing that it's a flu because it resembles the 1918 pandemic. It would be odd for a respiratory illness to spread through water -- waterborne diseases are usually gastrointestinal -- but not impossible, and the writers do seem to be setting us up for that.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Although tonight's show made it look like a cough is the first symptom, Harry Potter was complaining of an upset stomach.

It sure looks like the theme for this season is going to be "the enemy within."

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1096 on: October 21, 2013, 05:32:38 AM »

Yeah.   That was grim.   Wasn't expecting the last scene.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 21, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »

No shit.  Pretty brutal.  Also, really great.

I hope they can pull this off well.  I just hope that between the
Spoiler for Hiden:
rats and torching and maybe poisoning the water
the explanation doesn't turn out to be that someone just "went crazy."

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 21, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 16, 2013, 11:26:14 PM

Also you guys may have posted about this earlier but I also read they were planning a spinoff series?  Is that real?
Aye, Robert Kirkman said he's working on a spinoff series -- original, not based on any specific comics but certainly set in the same world -- but is really mum about at this point.

He has talked in murky detail about it in various interviews. Here's one from IGN:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/10/the-walking-dead-robert-kirkman-discusses-season-4-and-the-upcoming-spinoff
IGN: So the spinoff news, very exciting. You mentioned in an interview I read the thrill of the blank page and not having it tied to the comics world. Whatís that like for you? How did this come about, and how excited are you?

Kirkman: Iím pretty excited, very excited. To a certain extent, I feel like the 34-year-old me is in competition with the 24-year-old me. Itís like, ďOkay, kid. This is what you did. Now that Iíve had this ten additional years of life experience, Iím going to set things up this way,Ē and thatís a fun challenge for me. Itís fun because I feel like the 24-year-old could win. [Laughs] But itís great to go back to page one and think about it. Itís going to be set in this world, but it is a new cast and a new setting, and itís going to be very different. Itís just exciting to be able to start over again and try to do cool stuff.

IGN: So itís safe to say weíll see different aspects of the world.

Kirkman: Yeah, itís a really different location with completely different people, so we are going to see an entirely different corner of the Walking Dead world. It definitely wonít be set in Georgia, I can at least say that.

Itís important to us that this show exists on its own. The spinoff has to be a show worthy of existing, or else weíve all sold out. So thatís something weíre all working hard towards doing, and I think we can pull it off. I think that the ideal situation is, when youíre watching the spinoff, youíre like, ďWow, this is a really awesome show.Ē The whole other show doesnít need to exist for this show to be cool and stand on its own.
So it's not going to be like Rhoda, Phyllis and Lou Grant in the 1970s, spinoff wise. So I don't think we have to worry about them poaching a favorite character for a spinoff show. icon_smile Well, OK, the Lou Grant show didn't run until after Mary Tyler Moore show ended its run - you got me there.  icon_smile
==============

Latest episode, definitely thrilling, gut wrenching and seemed to go by so fast. I felt like the episode was half done, but when I looked at my watch, it said 9:53 pm icon_eek

I do though feel like killing off characters when we barely even get a whiff of who they are, just leaves me not feeling much. The characters from season 1 dying here and there really hit me over seasons 1-3. Some of these characters dying in last night's episode I couldn't tell you their name - I'd have to dig it up on the Walking Dead Wiki.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:10:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 21, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 21, 2013, 03:04:21 PM

Quote from: rittchard on October 16, 2013, 11:26:14 PM

Also you guys may have posted about this earlier but I also read they were planning a spinoff series?  Is that real?
Aye, Robert Kirkman said he's working on a spinoff series -- original, not based on any specific comics but certainly set in the same world -- but is really mum about at this point.

He has talked in murky detail about it in various interviews. Here's one from IGN:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/10/the-walking-dead-robert-kirkman-discusses-season-4-and-the-upcoming-spinoff
IGN: So the spinoff news, very exciting. You mentioned in an interview I read the thrill of the blank page and not having it tied to the comics world. Whatís that like for you? How did this come about, and how excited are you?

Kirkman: Iím pretty excited, very excited. To a certain extent, I feel like the 34-year-old me is in competition with the 24-year-old me. Itís like, ďOkay, kid. This is what you did. Now that Iíve had this ten additional years of life experience, Iím going to set things up this way,Ē and thatís a fun challenge for me. Itís fun because I feel like the 24-year-old could win. [Laughs] But itís great to go back to page one and think about it. Itís going to be set in this world, but it is a new cast and a new setting, and itís going to be very different. Itís just exciting to be able to start over again and try to do cool stuff.

IGN: So itís safe to say weíll see different aspects of the world.

Kirkman: Yeah, itís a really different location with completely different people, so we are going to see an entirely different corner of the Walking Dead world. It definitely wonít be set in Georgia, I can at least say that.

Itís important to us that this show exists on its own. The spinoff has to be a show worthy of existing, or else weíve all sold out. So thatís something weíre all working hard towards doing, and I think we can pull it off. I think that the ideal situation is, when youíre watching the spinoff, youíre like, ďWow, this is a really awesome show.Ē The whole other show doesnít need to exist for this show to be cool and stand on its own.
So it's not going to be like Rhoda, Phyllis and Lou Grant in the 1970s, spinoff wise. So I don't think we have to worry about them poaching a favorite character for a spinoff show. icon_smile Well, OK, the Lou Grant show didn't run until after Mary Tyler Moore show ended its run - you got me there.  icon_smile
==============

Latest episode, definitely thrilling, gut wrenching and seemed to go by so fast. I felt like the episode was half done, but when I looked at my watch, it said 9:53 pm icon_eek

I do though feel like killing off characters when we barely even get a whiff of who they are, just leaves me not feeling much. The characters from season 1 dying here and there really hit me over seasons 1-3. Some of these characters dying in last night's episode I couldn't tell you their name - I'd have to dig it up on the Walking Dead Wiki.

I felt like some of them didn't even have names!

I couldn't remember who
Spoiler for Hiden:
the beared father with the two daughters
was, if anyone, but I admit I teared up during that scene anyway.

And I feel like we were just getting to know
Spoiler for Hiden:
that bracelet lady, Karen
But the other character in that scenario gave that more impact.

I also really like how Carol
Spoiler for Hiden:
has this really dark edge to her.  I know bad stuff has happened, even before the walkers came, and that might drive her need to teach defense, but something about her makes this feel like that direction is off tone, in a good way.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 21, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 21, 2013, 04:30:21 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on October 21, 2013, 03:04:21 PM

I felt like some of them didn't even have names!

I couldn't remember who
Spoiler for Hiden:
the beared father with the two daughters
was, if anyone, but I admit I teared up during that scene anyway.

And I feel like we were just getting to know
Spoiler for Hiden:
that bracelet lady, Karen
But the other character in that scenario gave that more impact.

I also really like how Carol
Spoiler for Hiden:
has this really dark edge to her.  I know bad stuff has happened, even before the walkers came, and that might drive her need to teach defense, but something about her makes this feel like that direction is off tone, in a good way.

hell, they didn't even name [subject of the first spoiler] on the Talking Dead.  and Nicotero even made a guess as to how many were alive at beginning of episode vs how many they killed off.  it does make it harder to feel anything for these red shirt cast members, and it's no different than what Lost faced with the rest of the survivors/Tail-enders.  if they spend any time on some ancilliary characters, they risk losing a chunk of the loyal tv fanbase (as Lost did). 

I think they needed to have another mini apocalypse though as the story works at its best when you are dealing with a small number of survivors.  otherwise you end up with "Little House on the Prairie with Zombies". 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 21, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »

I thought the acting in this week's episode was just amazing across the board.  Riveting from beginning to end!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 25, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 25, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »

so, I dumped my over priced cable sub this week.  any legal places to watch this online?  I'm considering getting the sub through either Amazon or Google.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 25, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 25, 2013, 06:07:59 PM

so, I dumped my over priced cable sub this week.  any legal places to watch this online?  I'm considering getting the sub through either Amazon or Google.

looks like the main site has full episodes up for a limited time with a possible delay between when they air and when they come online.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 25, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

cool.  it looks like you only have to log in after a week or so.  I hadn't checked since last season when AMC had their falling out with one of the providers and let their former viewers watch for free.  figured there was some form of forced login and wouldn't be available.

thumbsup Ceekay.  the money you saved me on buying a season pass will now go to a game of my choosing to go into the never ending backlog

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1106 on: October 28, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »

Whoa. What do you suppose is up with that huge zombie convention?

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 28, 2013, 04:07:17 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 28, 2013, 02:42:00 AM

Hoard
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 28, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 04:07:17 AM

Hoard

one really shouldn't hoard zombies, there are enough to go around.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1109 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 28, 2013, 04:15:43 AM

Hoard

If somebody (like, oh, I don't know...could it be our old friend the Governor?) is herding that horde, that's some pretty impressive hoarding.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: October 28, 2013, 05:41:12 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 28, 2013, 05:21:54 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 28, 2013, 04:15:43 AM

Hoard

If somebody (like, oh, I don't know...could it be our old friend the Governor?) is herding that horde, that's some pretty impressive hoarding.

Maybe he made an alliance with someone else.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 28, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »

That was another good episode last night.

I think getting rid of Lori and (finally) Andrea has made a big difference.

I know this show can kill off anyone at any time, however
Spoiler for Hiden:
giving Glenn this illness really just makes it seem like they're guaranteed to find the cure.  That choice has cut down on the suspense for me.  And if he does end up dying, that will just be a waste, from a storytelling perspective.  I wouldn't be surprised if that beautiful, almond-eyed lady died, but that would also be a mistake, because the number of women on the show is dwindling a little too much (still happy about Lori and Andrea, though).

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 28, 2013, 02:09:03 PM »

So does anyone else think that getting your water supply from a running stream with Walkers all around it is probably not such a good idea? I hope they're boiling the hell out of it before drinking.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 28, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 28, 2013, 02:09:03 PM

So does anyone else think that getting your water supply from a running stream with Walkers all around it is probably not such a good idea? I hope they're boiling the hell out of it before drinking.

Yes, but there has to be a reason it's limited to that particular cell block.  It's gotta be water related, but why is no one else hit?

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 28, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

loved the episode.  early tension, fist fight between primary characters, accelerated growth of dire situation for the majority of the background cast, (yeah, easily spotted set up for a deus ex machina, but still not out of the question), small reconciliation, plot twist, massive horde and 1st appearance of red-rage Tyreese. 

I think the prison is soon going to be one bad place to be in.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 28, 2013, 05:29:07 PM »

That...
Spoiler for Hiden:
throw away, flippant response by Carolyn at the end
just gut punched me.  icon_eek

I would think at some point they would simply weld some bulldozer or snow plow blade to the front of a car or truck so they could deal with occasionaly pesky walker swarms. They need to do more scrounging, and maybe watch a DVD of The Road Warrior for inspiration.  icon_smile

I think the best compliment I can pay is this season's episodes seem to fly right by me. I'll be looking forward to what happens next and then BOOM, I realize the episode's almost over.

I contrast that to some of the "SOPHIIIIA!" episodes, which imho dragged on and on and on in a way that made me feel the episode was 90 minutes long.

Playing
PC
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 28, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »

Yeah, I paused at one point to hit the head and was shocked to see I was at the last commercial break.

As for the spoilery bit:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I kind of suspected it might be her, just because I've had my wary eye on her recently, since her actions don't seem to match her personality or how other people seem to think of her.  When Tyreese asked her to watch Sasha, her hesitation is what made me think it was her.  That said, I was really hoping it wasn't, and it didn't lessen the impact of the moment at all.  I just hope she doesn't turn out to be the one feeding the zombies rats.  I can't imagine it will be.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 30, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »

well, you guys ain't gonna believe this, but they renewed the show for a fifth season.  #TOTALLYSHOCKED

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 30, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »

not sure if posted yet since it's from May, but here's a A Bad Lip Reading of The Walking Dead.  The bit with Rick and the Governor had me rolling.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 31, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2013, 11:20:16 PM

not sure if posted yet since it's from May, but here's a A Bad Lip Reading of The Walking Dead.  The bit with Rick and the Governor had me rolling.

We had it in the Random YT Links thread, but it's worth watching again.  Especially to find out the song is available on iTunes!

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: