http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Verdict on The Villiage?  (Read 1853 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2004, 05:40:12 AM »

So what are we talking here?  Anyone seen it yet?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 06:25:13 PM »

I thought it blew. Seriously, terribly, blew. And I love MNS films. More thoughts with, you know, details later-trying to watch some TV right now smile
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 10:56:21 PM »

It wasn't very good.  The first 75% of it is boring as hell, poorly written, not particularly well filmed, and full of these 'symbols' that the director seems to have purposely scattered around just to make people wonder what is happening.  By the 1/2 mark, I had guessed a variation of one of the major twists, so it was no surprise when it arrived.  There are also several spots where they made up and tacked on stuff to make sure that all of their plot holes were covered.  Meh.  Worth renting or going to a matinee.  Not worth full admission price, in my opinion.

infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 12:01:48 PM »

I loved it. Can't say much without spoilers, but the more I think about it after seeing it, the more I want to see it again.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 03:44:13 PM »

im thinking about seeing it, but ive heard horror stories, one couple i talked to said it was the worst movie they have ever seen and that people were walking out midway through and loudly complaining about the money they had wasted.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 03:47:53 PM »

A lot of people walked out in the middle when I went to see it.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 03:12:35 PM »

what did they think was so bad about it? i liked it, it wasnt one of mns's better films, but it was decent, it did not deserve people walking out at least

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 03:43:28 PM »

There were some people outside of the theater after I saw it, trying to get the people going in not to see it, because it 'had no point.'

Of course, by the looks of them, they will be pumping gas for the rest of their lives, and were probably upset that nothing 'blowed up.'

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 01:21:24 AM »

Personally, I enjoyed it.

But I'm a pretty big fan of the other M. Night films as well, so take that for what it was worth.

I also predicted a twist about 10 minutes beforehand. I sort of spoiled it for a friend of mine when I said "I bet you $5 that [insert spoiler here]". And then I was right. There were other surprises that I didn't even come close to, so all-in-all, I enjoyed the overall experience.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 03:20:28 AM »

I think the main problem that I had with it is that the first 50% - 60% of it is really boring and has poorly written dialogue.  It's just not convincing.  I don't think that any of the actors do a good job with it, probably because it's written poorly (since they're all accomplished actors).  

It's a solid OK film for me, but I think it really could have been better if a writer who knows his lingual history had been brought on to make it sound better.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 09:37:01 PM »

I tend to be clueless about movies as I watch them - it's usually more of a visual experience than one I sit and think about during the film.  His twist(s) seemed to be perfect for the type of movie-watcher that I am.  I was strung along and found the twist to be kind of shocking.  After the movie, I was left with a few more questions that I couldn't answer, but I thought it was okay, all-in-all.  I always see scary movies with this friend of mine and while we both agreed it wasn't a horror movie, we didn't know exactly how else they could have pitched it.  She didn't like it at all.  I sort of liked it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: