http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tattoo Thread  (Read 11276 times)
Simon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »

I've wanted a tattoo for about 17 years now. I finally decided that if I was going to ever get one then it should be the one tattoo worth getting for me. No worries or fears here. Tongue
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 01:32:10 AM »

You don't understand.  It's not up to you.  You have destroyed a beautiful relationship.

Let's all pause for a moment of silence.
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2008, 02:37:01 AM »

This is the only thing I have at the moment.  I've been getting the bug again though.  This is a piece of flash from the wall, that I really like.  Believe it or not, it reminds me of one of my dogs. biggrin  The next piece will be something custom.    I just haven't figured out what I really want yet.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 03:03:15 AM »

Here's mine:

Side of my left leg:

Back of my left leg:

Side of my right leg:

Back of my right leg:

Left arm:

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »

My one and only so far. In this pic it was fairly new. Need to get it touched up.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2008, 03:38:28 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on August 28, 2008, 03:03:43 PM

My one and only so far. In this pic it was fairly new. Need to get it touched up.

How did you get the red tattoos on your eyes? That seems painful.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2008, 04:02:19 PM »

And how many girl's scarves do you own? Tongue
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 28, 2008, 04:02:19 PM

And how many girl's scarves do you own? Tongue

I think I'll have my staff get to you...
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »

I'm a pretty old guy and never had considered a tattoo. But almost everyone I know has one (hanging around bikers at an American Legion...they have some very cool ones) and I had thought about something tasteful on my left shoulder.

Until I found out how much they cost...screw that.  icon_biggrin

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »

Especially for good ones...
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on August 28, 2008, 04:19:27 PM

I had thought about something tasteful on my left shoulder.

What did you want and how much were you quoted?

The small turtle that my wife has (and which is getting touched up and a 2nd turtle added in January) was $75.   We had swung by a couple of shops and almost all of them quoted us $75 but one of the more popular places in town quoted us $200.

Since I've been going to the same place and same artist for the last couple of years he always waives the deposit/drawing fees and will often heavily discount his work by charging me for two hours when he actually worked three.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on August 28, 2008, 04:26:16 PM

The small turtle that my wife has (and which is getting touched up and a 2nd turtle added in January) was $75.   We had swung by a couple of shops and almost all of them quoted us $75 but one of the more popular places in town quoted us $200.

Since I've been going to the same place and same artist for the last couple of years he always waives the deposit/drawing fees and will often heavily discount his work by charging me for two hours when he actually worked three.

Same here, although my artist pumped me full of free beer as well.   icon_cool

When comparing what I actually paid for my tattoos versus what I could have paid, I think I saved about 75%.   icon_eek 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on August 28, 2008, 04:26:16 PM

Hell, I haven't even got to the "Honey, you know what I was thinking I might do?" stage. LOL

Just talking to my buds leads me to believe that I'm too damn cheap for my semi-planned 'Scottish something or other' first and only tat.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »

Yeah, I've definitely never paid actual shop rates... which is nice. It's expensive enough as it is.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on August 28, 2008, 05:12:15 PM

Hell, I haven't even got to the "Honey, you know what I was thinking I might do?" stage. LOL

You silly, silly man.  Haven't you learned that it is far easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than to ask for permission prior?  Once you actually have the tattoo it's not like she can make you return it.  icon_wink  The key is making sure no fillet knives are within reach.   ninja

Just talking to my buds leads me to believe that I'm too damn cheap for my semi-planned 'Scottish something or other' first and only tat.

It has to be a cost you're willing to take on.  Some consider tattoos a waste of money while others have no problem investing a fair bit of money into the art form.  Personal preference and all that.  Some might consider an expensive stick of wood to be a waste of funds, but I love to play pool and rarely go more than a few days without playing, so I felt it necessary to purchase a cue of reasonable quality and intend to purchase another one of even higher quality relatively soon.  Only you can know for sure if it is a justifiable expense. 

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 28, 2008, 05:43:24 PM

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on August 28, 2008, 05:12:15 PM

You silly, silly man.  Haven't you learned that it is far easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than to ask for permission prior?  Once you actually have the tattoo it's not like she can make you return it.  icon_wink  The key is making sure no fillet knives are within reach.   ninja

It has to be a cost you're willing to take on.  Some consider tattoos a waste of money while others have no problem investing a fair bit of money into the art form.  Personal preference and all that.  Some might consider an expensive stick of wood to be a waste of funds, but I love to play pool and rarely go more than a few days without playing, so I felt it necessary to purchase a cue of reasonable quality and intend to purchase another one of even higher quality relatively soon.  Only you can know for sure if it is a justifiable expense. 

Just funnin' around about the better half...we've been married 28 years and she'd just look at me, shake her head, roll those big, beautiful brown eyes of hers and tell me to go for it if I really wanted to.

Good points all at the end there. I need to give it some serious thought. Thanks.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »

intend to purchase another one of even higher quality relatively soon. 

O'rly?   icon_twisted

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 06:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 28, 2008, 06:06:40 PM

intend to purchase another one of even higher quality relatively soon. 

O'rly?   icon_twisted

I have two words for you.  Mexican.  Fiesta.

My moment to shine will come.  Someday.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 06:22:30 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 28, 2008, 06:12:09 PM

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 28, 2008, 06:22:30 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 28, 2008, 06:12:09 PM

Arriba, bitch.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »

When I was 19 I drove an acquaintance when he was getting a tattoo.  Naturally, being young, dumb and full of c*m, I walked out with one for myself. No thought put into it besides, "this'll be cool."  I've found that while I don't regret having a tattoo, unsurprisingly I've never really cared for the one I've had.  I spent a long time trying to figure out what I could do with it and in a bout of frustration started having part of it removed last year.

But after recent life altering events I've come to the conclusion that I'd really like to have it covered up with something meaningful.  I found an amazing local artist and set up a series of appointments with him.  Unfortunately he's booked for 5 months in advance so, barring any cancellations, I won't be able to get in until late January.  Ugh.  But after seeing his work I'm willing to wait to get what I want this time around.

I will make it a point to return to this thread and post pics of my progress.

Thanks to everyone for posting as I always enjoy seeing them.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 29, 2008, 05:38:06 PM

I found an amazing local artist and set up a series of appointments with him.  Unfortunately he's booked for 5 months in advance...

My artist is booked through most of next year including one for my daughter the day after her 18th birthday.

I have booked recurring monthly appointments through September of next year.   I unfortunately had to cancel this months appointment and he canceled July's appointment due to surgery for a torn ACL so it's been a couple months but I'm looking forward to my next update.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2008, 02:57:26 PM »

Wired's geek tattoos

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »

So now the wife is scheduled for an update on a few of the tattoos.

The Macaw is getting recolored, the Betty Boop is also getting recolored since the red on the shoes and lipstick have faded.

The turtle is not only getting recolored but now will be receiving a halo.  Then, on the opposite side, she will be getting a new turtle in red with devil horns and tail.

Edit:  I see that I mentioned some of this already but there ya go.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »

Went in yesterday and got started on the last part of my left arm... not much to it yet, but it's a cool noh mask sort of deal that is 'creating' the clouds and wind and stuff that proceed down my arm... also did some touchups and some unifying bits, which is why the part above the bird is puffy and red. I go back to color it (I think he'll be olivey green, or maybe blue) at the end of April and work on more background. It'll be nice to be done.  I'll take some more comprehensive pictures then.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 09, 2009, 07:24:43 PM

Went in yesterday and got started on the last part of my left arm... not much to it yet, but it's a cool noh mask sort of deal that is 'creating' the clouds and wind and stuff that proceed down my arm... also did some touchups and some unifying bits, which is why the part above the bird is puffy and red. I go back to color it (I think he'll be olivey green, or maybe blue) at the end of April and work on more background. It'll be nice to be done.  I'll take some more comprehensive pictures then.

I dig the mask!  Very cool man.  That's gonna turn out nice...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »

Cool tattoos, everyone

By the way, here's how I know that I am a candy-ass: When I first read the subject line, I assumed you were talking about

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:17 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 11, 2009, 12:56:48 PM

I dig the mask!  Very cool man.  That's gonna turn out nice...

Thanks!  I was really stoked for about 18 hours, then bummed that I have to wait so long to color it in and do the rest of the background. smile
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »

Went in yesterday and added some chrysanthemums... even got one of them colored in.

The other one will be blue/green.  The mask pictured above will be kind of an oxidized copper green.  One more session and I'll be done w/ this arm... the stuff way up on the front part of my armpit hurt like a bitch.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »

It has been a LONG time since I had any reason to come in here.  But I must say, it feels so GOOD to be back.

For the first time since I got my last tattoo in 2005, I am about to revisit the chair this coming Thursday.  My current work is all from my days living in Philadelphia, but since starting the next phase of my life in Arizona I just haven't quite been ready to begin a new phase of tattooing.  I knew that one day I would be ready, and I would "just know" when that time finally came.

It is time.

The plan is to completely finish the work on my chest, filling in all empty space, tying it all together into one fluid piece.  The artwork will go right up to my collar line, forming a distinct border around my neck, extend over my shoulders, around the back of my neck (well, just below my neck so I can still conceal it), up to the piece on my back, and it'll tie into the work on my shoulders as well. 

It will all be custom, free-hand work that will evolve as we go, complete with detailed shading, pops of color, and subtle details like skulls, clouds, and smoke integrated into everything.

Here are the before photos:

I've included my back as well since the new artwork will extend over my traps and onto my back, filling in some of the open space above my current work.

I have a private appointment Thursday night and the plan is to start at 5pm and not leave until we're done.  Could be 10pm, 11pm, or even later, but if my body continues to take ink, we'll continue to add until it all comes together into one major bad-ass piece.  No limitations (outside of concealability), price is already set, and my artist can't wait to just do his thing.

See you all on the flip side.  Fabulous

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »

I'm wondering when Pete will be getting his face tattoo.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 05, 2013, 07:34:30 PM

I'm wondering when Pete will be getting his face tattoo.

Probably when I go to Thailand.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

A couple new additions:

The wife:

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »

Everything is still a little red and raw from a five-hour session, and the color will be a lot lighter after it heals, but here's the progress so far, with another 3 hours to take place on Tuesday to hopefully finish it all.  Still have to do the other ghost hand wrapping around my neck, plus more shading around the tiger, onto my shoulder, above the cala lilly, etc.  After 5 hours my body just started rejecting the ink despite feeling physically capable of continuing.  We'll also adding subtle pops of purple and blue to set off certain areas.  To be continued...

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »

Needs more duck face.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: