http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:23:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Skinny on Rich (and Gonegold somewhat) SEE 1ST POST EDIT  (Read 39515 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »

You can bet that when Rich's health permits he will always have a spot for a roll call, release dates, whatever.  I'll see to that.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Maelef
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2004, 04:07:07 PM »

To Rich, our love and prayers go with you. If GG is truely gone, we will all miss it, and remember you,  the site and community you created forever.

Just curious......to all GG members out there......if it turns out that GG is really gone, how many of you will remove the GoneGold link from your bookmarks or  will you just leave it there as a remembrance to a great site?

I for one couldn"t bare to not see it there anymore. Perhaps i'll just edit it to say GoneGold--RIP, and have it as a dead link.

You can't spell Female without Maelef
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2004, 04:22:27 PM »

I removed the links yesterday after reading what Stephan had to say. A sad day for me. frown

Ye Olde Farte
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2004, 04:24:03 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
I removed the links yesterday after reading what Stephan had to say. A sad day for me. frown

Same here.  crybaby
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2004, 05:10:35 PM »

I kept the link to the main page just in case the site ever turns into anything again. I deleted the forums link though.

Hope your dad is well, Malaef. Neat to see you're still using my sig.  smile

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2004, 05:25:33 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "DarkVulgar"
Hi Graham,Whispa,Bulletpig

Hope all is well with you and yours.Ah..the GGML days.Brings a  smile  to my face

D~V!!!!!!!!!!!!  Great to see you!  Man, send me a message on MSN or email me.  Let me know what is going on with you.  Would be great to catch up with you.

Whispa, Graham, DV!  Great to see you guys!  Shoot me a email some time!

Regards,
Pig
Stephen
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2004, 05:40:57 PM »

Quote from: "Quaro"
Stephen, you don't by any chance have a backup of the messages from the old bulletin board?  I know it's likely huge, but it seems like there are a few people here who might be willing to reconstruct something, or at least dig through and salvage some of the really good threads.

I don't know if anyone but Rich has a legal right to that data.

Cheers,
Stephen
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2004, 06:01:44 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

Same here.  crybaby

I deleted the link on my work pc just before i opened this thread. Weird.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2004, 06:14:35 PM »

I'll never delete it. Ofcourse I still have the link for Intelligent Gamer Online and that went down around 98.

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2004, 06:18:22 PM »

Here you are!  I finally found you guys!
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2004, 06:21:16 PM »

I just removed Gonegold from my Favorites.What a sad day.

I just removed GoneGold as my homepage from my main pc. It has been my homepage for years. This is really bumming  me out  frown
D'Arcy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2004, 06:47:10 PM »

Quote from: "Stephen"
Quote from: "Quaro"
Stephen, you don't by any chance have a backup of the messages from the old bulletin board?  I know it's likely huge, but it seems like there are a few people here who might be willing to reconstruct something, or at least dig through and salvage some of the really good threads.

I don't know if anyone but Rich has a legal right to that data.

Cheers,
Stephen

Is there a reason to assume that the authors didn't retain the copyright for the material they wrote? Or do you mean that you don't have the data?
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2004, 06:50:46 PM »

Quote from: "D'Arcy"
Is there a reason to assume that the authors didn't retain the copyright for the material they wrote? Or do you mean that you don't have the data?

I've been assuming that we gave that right up when we stored them on someone else's property.

But I'm no lawyer.  I also understand that Rich is the only one with keys to the castle, as it were, to get the data.
Maelef
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2004, 06:58:30 PM »

Quote from: "Grievous Angel"
I kept the link to the main page just in case the site ever turns into anything again. I deleted the forums link though.

Hope your dad is well, Malaef. Neat to see you're still using my sig.  smile

Hey!! someone finally remembered us!!! Feel much better now.
Dad is doing very well with his foot.  It's like new now, only problem is the poor thing was diagnosed with diabetes last march. Threw him for a loop for a while, but he's learned to deal with it. In fact, he lost so much weight that he can now fit into his old marine corps uniform, which dates back to the Korean War!

btw....i'll never get rid of that sig, i love it.

You can't spell Female without Maelef
D'Arcy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2004, 07:16:56 PM »

Quote from: "RunningMn9"
I've been assuming that we gave that right up when we stored them on someone else's property.

Well, I'm not a lawyer either, but I play one on Internet forums, and I'm pretty sure that, while you certainly grant the owner of a forum copyright by posting there, you also retain it yourself. Why wouldn't you? Waiving it is a major loss, and you don't get compensated for it.

Also, this other guy who plays a lawyer is talking about implied licenses in a way that sounds pretty applicable to our situation here.
I also understand that Rich is the only one with keys to the castle, as it were, to get the data.

Me too, but I had the impression that Stephen is in possession of a somewhat recent backup due to his work on the server.
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2004, 07:22:58 PM »

Me too, but I had the impression that Stephen is in possession of a somewhat recent backup due to his work on the server.

We share that understanding.  I think I've heard that the backup is a few months old.  But if we have the backup, then I would expect that we are allowed to exercise some ownership in what we've written.

Despite my earlier comments to the contrary.  smile
khomotso
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2004, 08:10:52 PM »

Just posting to mark my attendance, since I don't have many words at the moment.  Just standing by, bearing witness, whatever else one does at a wake.
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2004, 09:18:44 PM »

Well, I'm not a lawyer either, but I play one on Internet forums, and I'm pretty sure that, while you certainly grant the owner of a forum copyright by posting there, you also retain it yourself. Why wouldn't you? Waiving it is a major loss, and you don't get compensated for it.

Place this in your sig, if it worries you:

Copyright 2004, D'Arcy, all rights reserved.

snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2004, 09:26:04 PM »

Thanks to Bill Harris, I finally found most of you GG'rs, and thank you to CG for letting us be here. I was, like everyone else it seems, totally shocked at not being able to get onto GG, and was really praying that Rich was alright. That was my first thought, and I'm happy to hear that he's still doing rehab. It was his baby, and though we all loved GG, it was his to do with as he wished. Like you, I hope that it will be back, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I was with GG almost from the very first, and am going to miss it. It was my homepage, and very first stop when my computer was booted up every morning. DocDarm, what you said was what I was thinking, but you said it much better. I really feel like crying about this, as I came to know a lot of you through your posts at GG, and it feels like losing friends. This place is good, and it seems a lot of us came over here, but GoneGold will forever hold a place in my heart as the only place I ever stayed at because of the community, and the way everyone mostly looked out for each other. I may not have been big on posting much, but believe me, I read mostly everyones posts, and would reply if I had something to say. It is nice to see a lot of you here, and thanks Bill, for answering my question.  crybaby

The quiet one.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2004, 10:07:49 PM »

Quote from: "Tareeq"

Place this in your sig, if it worries you:

Copyright 2004, D'Arcy, all rights reserved.

Yup that's what I do with all of my reports I create for clients here at work.  We checked it out with lawyers and everything!   thumbsup   :mrgreen:

GreenGoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2004, 10:52:22 PM »

Sigh.  Been a member of GG since 2000.  GG had been my homepage almost from the day I joined.  I've seen all sorts of things going on, and have seen Rich go over the edge once or twice (haven't we all).

I've watched the communitee grow over the years, enjoyed the rollcalls, and Andy's Gold guide.  Mostly, I've enjoyed the forums.  When I would hear someone complain about the GG frontpage, I often had to stop and try and figure out what they were talking about.  I haven't used GG for anything other than a place to discuss various topics for more than a year, and had forgotten there was once something more to it.

I can't believe it is ending like this.  And I can't believe this is what Rich wants too.  It's bizarre.  For a site with enough volunteers and guys working behind the scenes to keep it running smoothly without Rich's input (hell, I hadn't heard from Rich in months and months.  The things I did hear were from a friend of a friend of a friend), I can't believe Rich found the need to pull the plug.

Trust me when I say I am extremely appreciative of the hard work and love that has gone into GG.  I Honestly hadn't been to another gaming site for years (except the occasional link posted in the GG forums).

What I've been skirting around is this:  How could Rich do this to his baby?  I'm not arguing whether he has the right or power to do so (obviously he does) but what could possibly be his motivation?  I've seen Rich be vindicative before, but nothing like this.  If it's some other emotion driving this behaviour, I hope he seeks help (I'm dead serious, and not being flippant at all).

To up and pull the plug on a site that has grown beyond your imaginings, to not disclose any info to those who have been hard working and volunteering their time to ensure *your* site is up and running....really disappointing.

Hell, Gonegold could have been his part of Rich's legacy.  Something that he created that lived on after he is gone (I pray that time is far away).

Ending it on this sour note, argh.

I wish Rich and his family the best, I really do.  I hope he thought through this decision and weighed the pro's and the con's.  Hopefully this will really help him because quite frankly, it's really hurting others and I'd like to think something good is coming of this.

Au revoir Gonegold.

The Goo formerly known as AHardPlace
Osprey a.k.a. Gollum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2004, 11:33:50 PM »

As a "older" gamer I always found it extremely hard to settle in one place and call it home.

Gone Gold and its Forums became that for me.
I was told about GG from a friend from the AVSIM site. I was a voracious flight simmer only then.
He said try Gone Gold I think you'll like the site. Most of the guys there are very level headed and mature.

With very few exceptions I've found his advice to be true.

Gone Gold was a treat to find and a Oasis to stay in.

Many thanks to you Rich and everyone else who contributed to keeping Gone Gold on the air.

Remember: "It aint over till its over".............and it ain't over yet.

All the best!

Worry only causes harm.
Darrell999
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2004, 01:30:21 AM »

I too followed the GG forums almost *every day* for the last 5 years or so (mostly as a dedicated Lurker, but I posted once in awhile) and I'm going to miss that very much.   :shock:

But to look ahead...

Where will everyone go?  I'm not really into consoles, so I can't see myself checking this site that often.  My main hobby is computer gaming, and I would guess that's true of most of you guys, too.  So where else will we go?  Avault forums?  Quarter to Three?  I wonder if we could try to see where most of the Gone Gold Refugees will hang out, and who knows, maybe it will almost be like the Good Ol' Days again...

Edit: Looking around these forums, I see that it's not just console stuff...and hey, the PC forum looks promising!  Maybe I've just found a new home here...

But I'm still curious as to where most GG Refugees will be heading.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2004, 02:10:45 AM »

Sigh, after thinking about this awhile, the whole thing just pisses me off.

Yes, I appreciate everything Rich did, yes I appreciate Gone Gold. I don't appreciate how it was yanked out from under me. I know it's not my decision, I don't really give a crap. It still pisses me off.

Now we find out there will be no R&P forum. I feel like I came home one day and the locks were changed.

I really appreciate ConsoleGold opening up its arms, but it's never going to be "home" to me, particularly without any way to discuss politics. And I'm not going to leapfrog all over the internet cobbling together parts of other forums like some Frankenstein monster to get my daily fill of discussion.

I'm not going to leave in a huff or anything, because again I think CG is  a great place. But it's not going to be the home away from home I thought it might be.

God this whole thing just SUCKS.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2004, 02:11:30 AM »

Quote from: "Darrell999"

Where will everyone go?  I'm not really into consoles, so I can't see myself checking this site that often.  My main hobby is computer gaming, and I would guess that's true of most of you guys, too.  So where else will we go?  Avault forums?  Quarter to Three?  I wonder if we could try to see where most of the Gone Gold Refugees will hang out, and who knows, maybe it will almost be like the Good Ol' Days again...

I don't know. Have you looked around here much? It looks like a lot of Gone Golders are going to give this place a shot. They've added alot for PC games already and might do more.

I mean, in the PC games forum, Hetz is already gushing over his latest greatest game and CSL has started his next greatest game of all time tourney. In the Road to Gold, someone spoofed DNF GONE GOLD!!! Hardware and Software help in the same forum now! In the Off Topic forum, there's a three page pictorial of hot women and everyone else is arguing and threatening to leave over religion and politics. It almost like we never left!

I don't know. I'm going to give this place a shot. I hope alot of others do too. I'd hate to lose that collective of gaming knowledge.

-Cota
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2004, 02:34:08 AM »

Quote from: "Darrell999"

Edit: Looking around these forums, I see that it's not just console stuff...and hey, the PC forum looks promising!  Maybe I've just found a new home here...

But I'm still curious as to where most GG Refugees will be heading.

I hope they head here.  It is nice to have that sense of community and I think that is found where all the people meet.

I think if people keep hopping around looking for the community instead of staying somewhere and letting the community grow back they will never find it again....does that make sense?

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2004, 02:34:23 AM »

The forums were first on my list but I used Andy's Gold Guide up until a few days before the end. Used to like Rich's Roll Calls but really enjoyed all the feathures at the site when it was in full bloom.

Ye Olde Farte
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2004, 02:36:18 AM »

Psst.....read the clarification.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2004, 02:59:42 AM »

:cry:
Hi guys, I too am so sad to see that Gone Gold has Gone Black. I'm also shocked at how it came from no where. We may never know the truth. But I'm going to give Console Gold a shot since I see a lot of familiar names here. Never visited this site before and I chatted with Bill Harris today about Gone Gold (he's confused too) and he pointed me here. So let's try our best to rebuild the community...just wish there was a way to let some of the refugees from Gone Gold know we are here.

Roll Tide!
Exrod
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2004, 03:16:25 AM »

Weekly Values...

The Trading Place...

Everything But Gaming...

I hit these every time I logged on in that  order.

I really hope that someone can pull things back together.  With enough people willing to put up some dough, which is usually the case with the community; and someone having access to the data - I cannot imagine why things won't get put back together.

Onward.

"Yeah! The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude." - Mike Damone
MzDarm
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2004, 03:49:08 AM »

As a new gamer, (married into gaming), I have to admit I really enjoyed logging onto Gone Gone mainly for the forum. Everything but gaming provided me with unless entertainment during my off days at work. What seemed to be special about the people of gonegold was their willingness to meet with other members off site! Becuase of this I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of online members. Many onsite and off site memories were made as a result of GoneGold. My husband, DocDarm, could not have said it any better ~ Gone Gold was a like a comunity and/or classroom. I am glad I could share this community with all the members of Gone Gold.

Much love and peace goes out to Rich and his family. Thank you for having us and sharing your little space on the web.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2004, 04:02:57 AM »

Quote from: "DocDarm"

I will not be as warm as Gone Gold.

DocDarm
New York City

Why do I have an image of you brandishing a riding crop, standing in your staff car while surveying your unstoppable army of cloned playboy centerfolds? drool
DocDarm
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2004, 04:09:24 AM »

Edit:  "IT will not be as warm as gone gold".  And it should be LESSONS, not lesions.    Edit to follow immediately.

DocDarm
New York City
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2004, 04:12:10 AM »

I was out of town for a week and when I got home went right to GG forum as per usual and couldn't get to the site.So I tried after a few more hours,still no luck...starting to get a little worried here,then after a day passed by still having no luck getting to the site I did some detective work and finally found a post about GG at The Quarter to Three fourms today.

After reading all the posts here from so many familiar GG people I had mixed feelings,great to find everyone but terrible to read more info on whats happened to GoneGold.

All my thoughts are with Rich,who through GoneGold has added so much enjoyment to my gaming obsession over the years and brought so many great people with a similar obsession together.

Well the upside is this Forum looks really good and very welcoming to us GoneGolders.Thanks for having us.

Warfran
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2004, 05:04:15 AM »

I've been trying to figure out what to type for an hour now. Words just don't do justice.

I first came to Gone Gold to read Joel's column. I didn't even visit the rest of the site for the first few weeks. Once I did, I found a community of fun, intelligent people and a site run by the kindest man I've ever come across. I never posted much in the forums, but I visited them pretty much every day. I really felt at home.

When Rich chose to step back, I was 100% behind him. I had always felt that he should be taking care of himself rather than us. As the months stretched into years, it was still Rich's site. We were just keeping it warm for him until his inevitable return.

We can all gather here. We can open another site. And it will be good. But it won't be the same. It won't be Rich's site.

The loss of Gone Gold leaves a hole. But the sadness I feel for that doesn't even register when compared to the sorrow I feel for Rich and Mary Jo. The thought of what they must be going through literally has me nearly in tears. I've seen what chronic illness can do, to both patient and caregiver. I saw my uncle live a lifetime with renal failure, cancer, the loss of the use of his legs, and a host of other problems. I saw my mother deal with a variety of chronic maladies over 20 years, and I nursed her through the 6 months of misery before her death. I saw her closest friend, who had been dealing for 50 years with pain so severe they were prescribing morphine, finally just get broken by it.

I'll never delete Gone Gold from my Favorites. It will always stay with me.

Cyjon
da Toad
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2004, 06:46:47 AM »

I am ever a soldier of the Chief Knucklehead.  One day He shall return and we will answer the call. Until that day, we must continue to mock DNF's release date. It is the way of the righteous.

On a more pleasant note, I send out heartfelt thanks to the staff of Console Gold for taking me in. I'll try to keep the chip crumbs to a minimum :wink:
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2004, 04:38:27 PM »

Well, whatever happens, I wish Rich nothing but the best. He certainly deserves a break (in all senses of the word) as much as anyone. I've immensely enjoyed going to Gone Gold for over 4 years, but things change. Circumstances arise, and we move on. When it was in it's "prime" it was the best gaming site (& community) I had ever been to. I'm extremely, profoundly sorry to see it go, though I can't really say I'm totally surprised. Maybe a little surprised at the manner of the exit, but ultimately it's just not anybody's decision but Rich's.

I think I'll leave it in my "favorites" too though (hope springs eternal...).

To those of you who are hesitant to make this your new "home", I would say that you should really give Console Gold a chance. CG is an excellent site in it's own right and I've never felt as though PC gaming has been seriously neglected here, especially in the forums. And it is frequently updated. That's not a knock against Gone Gold (we all know the reasons behind that), it's just a statement of reality.

It is a little jarring though (in the best possible way) to log in and see  all those people logged in!  :shock:  biggrin

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2004, 05:43:19 PM »

Quote from: "Cyjon"
I first came to Gone Gold to read Joel's column.
Wow - I always felt like I'd been around GoneGold for a while, but I have no idea who Joel is or what his column was all about. Or maybe I just don't remember.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
GreenGoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2004, 09:46:40 PM »

Quote from: "Sith Lord"
Quote from: "Cyjon"
I first came to Gone Gold to read Joel's column.
Wow - I always felt like I'd been around GoneGold for a while, but I have no idea who Joel is or what his column was all about. Or maybe I just don't remember.

Sith

Joel Mathis if I remember correctly.  Made a couple of puzzle games and had 1 or 2 other projects on the go, I believe.  Since I have a memory like a sieve, I have no clue what the columns were about.  General commentary on the gaming industry I think.  I can barely remember my name.  The second someone comes along and fills us in, it will all come flooding back.  But until then...I'm drawing a blank, as always.

The Goo formerly known as AHardPlace
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2004, 10:36:30 PM »

I do remember he had a wicked sense of humor.. Ahh, What a website back in 2000ish. Used to marvel at Jetfreds collection too...

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: