http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:38:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Skinny on Rich (and Gonegold somewhat) SEE 1ST POST EDIT  (Read 39797 times)
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2004, 03:38:52 AM »

Thanks for the update on Rich and Gone Gold!

Consolegold moderators, thanks for being so accommodating!
Slater
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2004, 03:50:41 AM »

I have to agree that the lack of warning along with a total lack of communication seems more than a little rude. Obviously I'm not privy to the entire circumstances, but it'd take something pretty major to justify doing this in my eyes, especially considering the floods of goodwill pouring from the majority of the community to Rich.
how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2004, 03:53:00 AM »

Interesting thread.

Sorry to hear the news. Disappointed at the way it all unfolded.
I do hope all is well.

The GG community was my favorite and most relied upon community for gaming advice and reviews. Great people and mostly sound advice.

Is this the best substitute, guys? Are there others you'd recommend?

Best Regards
How786
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2004, 04:05:25 AM »

Quote from: "whispa"
Thanks for the update on Rich and Gone Gold!

Consolegold moderators, thanks for being so accommodating!

Mike,

Good to see you here.  (Bulletpig, if you see this, same to you as well.)  Hope you guys stay for a while.  Miss the old days of the GGML and OOBML.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
DarkVulgar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2004, 04:09:38 AM »

It saddens me to see Gonegold go out the way it did.I just thought the site got hacked or had server problems.It finnaly hit me to try consolegold to look for an answer.It is kinda a relief to know what happened....been watching bluesnews.com for some post on what happened.Someone mentioned about getting the word out...Steve from Bluesnews maybe can put up a post.Just a thought.

Like everyone I just hope Rich gets better and has a pain free life.Gonegold will be missed.There was not another community like it on the net and I feel honored to have been a part of it.

Take care & enjoy my fellow ex gonegolders.
justin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2004, 04:11:03 AM »

I'm gonna miss GG.   Reading the forums every morning before heading out was  my daily repertoire for the past few years.     Never cared much for the crap in the off topic forum but the PC gaming forums were always solid and the weekly deals forum saved me lots of $$$ on games and hardware.  

Best wishes to Rich, hope all is well with him and his family.
DarkVulgar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2004, 04:14:59 AM »

Hi Graham,Whispa,Bulletpig

Hope all is well with you and yours.Ah..the GGML days.Brings a  smile  to my face
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2004, 04:38:11 AM »

Quote from: "DarkVulgar"
Hi Graham,Whispa,Bulletpig

Hope all is well with you and yours.Ah..the GGML days.Brings a  smile  to my face

D~V!!!!!!!!!!!!  Great to see you!  Man, send me a message on MSN or email me.  Let me know what is going on with you.  Would be great to catch up with you.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2004, 04:44:30 AM »

Quote from: "Mr. Fed"
Quote from: "The Mad Hatter"
Popehat has the people and the will but the interface is just too primitive.

We prefer "quaint." :wink:

Primative fits.  It's a non-totalitarian message board.  Our problems all started out when people started locking up message boards . . . smile  We really don't have to live this way smile

Grifman
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2004, 04:47:08 AM »

Dang! Somebody already got the Alefroth handle. I think my eyes are really going to appreciate the change.

Big thanks to Rich and everyone involved with Gone Gold for what they created. Thanks to the Console Gold folks for giving us a home.

Does this mean I have to get a console now?

Ale
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2004, 04:47:09 AM »

crybaby

Reading Stephen's post just drove the point home that GG is gone. I can still remember my reluctance in adding another site in my daily repetoire of PC news plus seeing the site mentioned in PC Gamer got me curious. Rich's Roll Calls however made me change my mind and it was added to my Favorites. The various topics he wrote about were engaging and most of all, IMHO, heartfelt.

Though I was visiting the site long before I took the plunge into the forums I am glad I did. So it's with a twinge of sadness that I have to say goodbye to the first forum I ever joined and the only forum I was registered with for the longest time. I guess CG will be the new place to hang out and with at least most of the crew from GG this place will become familiar enough.

How does this work again?
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2004, 04:49:02 AM »

I was curious why the gonegold site had vanished. The "Console Games" forum has been the third tab in my Opera browser for some time. I rarely visited the main page or the other forums, so all this drama passed me by. At least the community has a new home. (I know this site has existed for a while--I think I joined in the initial migration--but the gg color scheme was so much easier on my eyes that I spent more time lurking there.)

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2004, 04:52:21 AM »

Does this mean I have to get a console now?
Nope! smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2004, 05:21:40 AM »

Well, I suppose that's that then. I'd be lying, if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed at how it all ended, but it never was my call to begin with.

That said, hearty thanks to everyone at Console Gold for putting this website up (quite a while ago), and being very accommodating to the influx of the rest of the Gone Gold brood.

Edited to add - the new color scheme tickles my manly fanny in a very pleasant manner.  Good job!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Quaro
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2004, 05:37:44 AM »

Stephen, you don't by any chance have a backup of the messages from the old bulletin board?  I know it's likely huge, but it seems like there are a few people here who might be willing to reconstruct something, or at least dig through and salvage some of the really good threads.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2004, 05:58:16 AM »

Wow, I've been so busy at work this past week that I just assumed another server problem.  But I finally hunted down quartertothree which led me here (don't know why I didn't think of it first, doh).  It really is a bummer and one of those 'change is weird' moments.  Thanks for the great welcome here at CG!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2004, 06:25:41 AM »

Well that is indeed sad news to hear that it's really gone.

Thanks again to CG and all the CG folk for taking us in.  I look forward to making this my Internet home, just like GG was.   Tongue
Ummagumma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2004, 10:55:35 AM »

I gotta say, I fear for Rich's psychological health if his strategy for dealing with the albatross around his neck that GoneGold seems to have become to him is to shut it off with nary a word to us.

I could never begrudge Rich for the amazing amount of value I've derived from his creation over the years, it developed into one of those few internet places that made the other 90 percent of crap out there worth it just for its existence.  But I've gotta say that an ending like this seems to be a spit in the face of all that, both for the users and moderators alike.

That said, I hope for nothing but the best for Rich and his family, and thank him for the many good, make that great times he has facilitated for me via GoneGold.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2004, 11:15:53 AM »

GG had been there for me for 3 years. The front page was my homepage through all that time, even when it went un-updated for months on end.

I definetly feel a loss, as do we all I would assume. It's weird, I mentioned GG dying to some guys at work last night and they all laughed and called me a geek/nerd/whatever. They don't understand that gaming was a fraction of what GG was about.
I may have been, and will continue to be, the guy at the dance that sits in the corner by himself. (Although I was at 2400+ posts  smile ) I had fun and learned alot by watching you guys...and participated when I had something constructive to add.

Something I did multiple times a day (check the GG forums) I cannot do now, or EVER again. That makes me mad and sad.

CG is a great replacement, you guys completely rock, I hate to think what would have happened if not for this site.

Edit- I been drinkin'
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2004, 11:17:26 AM »

Quote from: "Ummagumma"
I gotta say, I fear for Rich's psychological health if his strategy for dealing with the albatross around his neck that GoneGold seems to have become to him is to shut it off with nary a word to us.

I could never begrudge Rich for the amazing amount of value I've derived from his creation over the years, it developed into one of those few internet places that made the other 90 percent of crap out there worth it just for its existence.  But I've gotta say that an ending like this seems to be a spit in the face of all that, both for the users and moderators alike.

That said, I hope for nothing but the best for Rich and his family, and thank him for the many good, make that great times he has facilitated for me via GoneGold.

Good post.

I may add that I also wish the best for Rich and his family, but turning off the server is poor form.  When I ran www.frontofficefootball.com and www.fofc.com, I realized that after a while, the site wasn't totally mine anymore.  Sure, I could pull the plug, because the site physically belonged to me.  But I also realized the site had grown to more than that - it was owned emotionally by the community who used it.  So rather than pull the plug, I turned it over to someone else.  So I can't say I agree with the decision, but what is done is done.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2004, 12:04:17 PM »

From Stephens post it seems that we still don't know the real reason GG is gone.
He says the EV1 account is shut down, but is unsure if EV1 or ich shut it down.
Stephen, can't you just ask EV1 why it was shutdown? Maybe it was shutdown by EV1 for some reason (maybe money?) and not Rich.

I've been part of the site for a long time and have spoken to Rich numerous times. If Rich did shut it down on purpose it seems very wierd the way he did it and not like him at all, which is cause for concern for Rich.
archipelago
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2004, 12:05:16 PM »

Never Forget!!

the artist previously known as Adumir
STILL resident Kielslowski and Jennifer Jason Leigh obsessive
"Obviously, I need more Merlot..."
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2004, 12:12:36 PM »

I was a semi-lurker at GoneGold(something like 300 posts over 3 years) so I'll abandon my old name upon coming here. I can completely understand Rich's decision as one who has suffered from major depression in the past. Of course it won't help him at all and it was definitely the wrong one but it still  makes sense to me. Hope he gets better.

I also hope that -no- GoneGold site comes back. Respect his wishes. If he wanted to be rid of it don't resurrect it in a new form. This seems like a good place so get the word out and leave Rich alone.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2004, 12:21:31 PM »

Quote from: "archipelago"

Never Forget!!

Apparently the G has diarhea!
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2004, 12:25:50 PM »

The only thing running through my head right now is this exchange...

PowersThatBe:  It's over Moderators!  It's over.

Moderators:  Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! You asked me I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win, for somebody who wouldn't let us win!

Except they did just turn it off.

Maybe this is all easier to bear if you know and are familiar with Rich, maybe that makes it easier to empathize with him and his decision.  But it seems from some posts, that might not be the case.  That community was a big part of a lot of people's lives.  And regardless of what happens here, inevitably that community will be fractured and it won't be able to be put together.  It won't be the same.

For some, that might even be better.  But that isn't going to work for me.  And starting over isn't even an option.  So much of the community was the cumulative nature of our experiences together.

Dammit.  This is a crappy turn of events.

NOTE:  No offense to the staff of ConsoleGold.  You guys have been great extending the welcome mat.  I'm just pointing out the inevitability of not everyone finding this site, or committing to stick around (I can't imagine I'm the only one lacking the motivation for doing that).
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2004, 12:27:45 PM »

End of a era. With the death of Christopher Reeve and the end of Gone Gold, it's been a pretty depressing start to the new week. I only hope that Ireland doesn't get beaten by Faroe Islands tomorrow (with the way the week is going, I wouldn't be surprised)

I'm glad to hear that Rich is doing well. I used to love his Role Call. And I will miss lurking on the Politics forum (that place was just to scary to post on). Thanks for the memorys.

Anyone know of any other decent PC gaming forums? I used to post at RPGDot, but the people there are scarier then the R&P forum  :wink:
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2004, 01:24:13 PM »

PowersThatBe: It's over Moderators! It's over.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Maybe this is all easier to bear if you know and are familiar with Rich, maybe that makes it easier to empathize with him and his decision. But it seems from some posts, that might not be the case. That community was a big part of a lot of people's lives. And regardless of what happens here, inevitably that community will be fractured and it won't be able to be put together. It won't be the same.

Nope.  It's not easier to bear at all.  It sucks big time.  It does make it easier to empathize with his decision.  What it did make easier to bear was the cracking and creaking that happened to GG over the last several years.  Nope.  However, I guess that's evolution for ya'.  It will be sad to lose people.  Nothing will ever substitute for GG.  But something will replace it.  It looks like right here will the place for most.  My hope is that someone keeps my addy somewhere and turns me on to a quaint little dark corner for some happy quiet and quiant conversation about ruling the world over a couple of a beers that is forgotten in laughter as quickly as the suds are expelled from my system.

[/quote]For some, that might even be better. But that isn't going to work for me. And starting over isn't even an option. So much of the community was the cumulative nature of our experiences together.[/quote]

Sucks big time donut?  But I've lost a couple of trusted BBS's and several large circles of friends over the years, so it's not new.  The worst bummer is that the older I get the less of a will I have for finding new friends.

This weekend I dump a 40 for GG.  I'd hang out and talk about the goodtimes and GG up in the corner, but I'd only be talking to myself.  Man, I shouldn't sob so loud.  My cube mates are really going to think I'm nuts.
archipelago
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2004, 01:29:41 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

Never Forget!!

:lol:

the artist previously known as Adumir
STILL resident Kielslowski and Jennifer Jason Leigh obsessive
"Obviously, I need more Merlot..."
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2004, 01:31:36 PM »

Ummm....well....Unless every book I've read or movie I've seen is wrong....
Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2004, 01:37:44 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

Never Forget!!

I think the term is Anal Leakage.

I'll miss Gone Gold and the rather tight knit community that we had there.  Hell, even when I was a lurker a few years back I somehow felt connected to those who posted.  After I became involved more and more, I truly looked upon GG as a gathering of friends.

May God bless Rich and his family and my he find happiness and fulfillment in whatever path his life takes him.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2004, 01:38:18 PM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"

Ummm....well....Unless every book I've read or movie I've seen is wrong....

Never saw the movie Animal House, did you?  :lol:

~Neal
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2004, 01:43:42 PM »

Sam, sam, sam.....  Emergency! get this man (1) a copy of Animal House & (2) a six pack [wait, better yet, make it a 5th of Jack Daniels]. Soon all will be clear smile

Come to think of it, drinking a 5th of JD & smashing it on the hood of a car seems rather perfectly & oddly approp. this week, LOL. Dean Wormer did drop the big one.
St_Dysan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2004, 01:45:07 PM »

Whaaahhhh...I want my plaque back....and my money...and the years of my life I spent on GG...now I have to change my homepage of 6 years to Console gold.......now I'm done whining...Godbless Rich and his health and his family and thank God he brought us all together..and even after GG's passing, Rich has enabled us to meet new friends

Thank you

The Saint
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2004, 01:47:37 PM »

Gah!! Gotcha, I remember now.

I am on my 7th beer this morning if that's any excuse  :o

I work nights by the way, I'm not a raging alcoholic slammin' beers when I wake up.   :shock:
DocDarm
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2004, 03:02:46 PM »

We have all been a part of something special.  We have all been a part of something unique.  We have all been a part of community, its type never exisiting before.  

The site may be down for good, or it may be up tomorrow.  But we should not ask for our time back, or our money back, or shake our fists at the Gods.  Be thankful you were able to be a part of this experiment, and take away with you any trivia, lessons, or relationships you may have found on Gone Gold.  The very nature of the internet is etheral, and the only things that will truely last are the memories one takes away.

Losing Gone Gold is like losing a favorite teacher.  Classes will be closed for the day, students will come and mourn, and there will be a few special pages in the yearbook.  But your life will go on, you will find other places and teachers, and you should take with you your memories of Gone Gold, of Roll Call, of Bill Harris and of Kahless, make them a part of your everlasting memories.

Thank you Gone Gold...you have been my source of News, Views, Impressions, and Discussions.  You have rekindled my interest in X-Com, in Undying, and made me look at games I would have never opened before.  You have made my hobby richer and fuller that it ever would have been had I not been your student.

I hope you recover and can go on teaching, but if not, I will find another alcove in the internet.  It will not be as warm as Gone Gold.  It will not be familar.  But it will be the next step.  Nothing lasts, and all we can do is hold on while we can.

As for Rich, I dearly hope he too can find that little alcove, that tiny eddy on the net.  I doubt his handle will be "RichLaPorte", or even "NYPD4ME".  He may simply seek solace and anonymity, not the responibility and sympathy that he has been overrun with before.  As anyone tied to a large project realizes, even when that project requires zero input from you, just the fact that it is there waiting for you can be an enormous source of stress.

DocDarm
New York City
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2004, 03:05:53 PM »

Hey there, DocDarm.  Well said, and welcome to CG! smile

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2004, 03:09:05 PM »

Welcome, Doc.  Excellent sentiments; if only I were that eloquent!  (Aside from the Freudian slip of 'lessons' being nearly spelled 'lesions.'  smile
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2004, 03:14:27 PM »

It ain't over yet, baby!
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2004, 03:14:56 PM »

Since the front page of GG hadnt been updated in 3 months, I dont see any suddenness in GG's demise .  Unfortunately, I have been expecting it since August, when I started a thread asking what was up with GG.  To me it seemed to be  a slow and painful death.  I have been hanging around GG since near its beginning, had some personal contact with Rich in the early days and enjoyed both the site and the forums for a long time.  For whatever reason, that run has come to an end.  While it saddens me, I respect the decision and will mourn the loss of a community I enjoyed, while moving on.  I wish the best to all who gave their time to GG and especially to Rich, who deserves the right to move on, if thats in fact what has happened.   I hope people will leave him alone and allow him some peace and quiet.  If he chooses to interact with us, Im sure he knows where to find us.  All of us from GG are fortunate that CG exists to give us a new home.  The spirit of GG has always resided here and thanks to Ron and all the others running this place, it looks like it will continue to survive.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2004, 03:16:54 PM »

Quote from: "Blackhawk"
It ain't over yet, baby!

Very mysterious... :?:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: