http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:11:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Skinny on Rich (and Gonegold somewhat) SEE 1ST POST EDIT  (Read 39575 times)
Bakhtosh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 09:40:07 PM »

It's possible (speculation only) that Rich was in the process of transferring total control of the site to someone we don't know about.  I can assure you that I know no details of this, or even if it's true, but if THAT process went "to hell", I can see why Rich would get frustrated...it still doesn't sound like Rich to yank the rug out with no warning...especially to those who have done so much for years to keep it running in his stead.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2004, 09:42:21 PM »

Hi RPGHero.  Not trying to stir anything up but who were you on GG?  Just not familiar with the nic.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2004, 09:47:01 PM »

Quote from: "Siljanus"
Hi RPGHero.  Not trying to stir anything up but who were you on GG?  Just not familiar with the nic.

I was RPGHero there too.

But generally I'm not a big poster.  My Rant on the beauty of FFXI didn't probably win me any gratitude (plus I was grumpy that day and probably said a few things in not the nicest way)

Both times I was in the Brutesquad I think CSL walked me into a plasma bolt early on.  The last time I went down firing though so I felt a little better.  

Other than that, I think hardware help was my next biggest posting area.  I'm generally a lurker, I just happened to have some connections to put the question of "How is Rich?" to bed.

I think I'm up to 20 (edit:actually 12)  posts now...after this is blown over, I'll probably be up to 50 in about 2006.
PaulBot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2004, 09:47:05 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Well have we heard from the guy who ran the forums and the server?

Now that's a good question!!

I'd like to see the GG forum continue. Forget the rest of the site - it wasn't getting updated and I think most of us were fine with that.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2004, 09:48:58 PM »

Quote from: "RPGHero"

Both times I was in the Brutesquad I think CSL walked me into a plasma bolt early on.  The last time I went down firing though so I felt a little better.  

I hear CSL got what was coming to him on Mars a few weeks ago...

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 09:50:38 PM »

Damn, and I missed it.   Can someone send me a copy of the post if they have it?  biggrin  :twisted:  biggrin  :twisted:  biggrin
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 09:52:39 PM »

Um, let me ask this...and I am PURELY speculating.  Isn't there a member of the staff we haven't heard from yet nor has anyone else (I thought I saw this on another thread)?

Yes there is.  But if you can believe it, this guy has had as much to deal with in his personal life (privately) as Rich has/had dealt with publically.  Some really really serious stuff going on with him that he'd much prefer not to lean on as a crutch.  He let me in on some of the details of what was eating at him, and I have to admit that I couldn't believe how much time he'd managed to scrape up to help out with the site.

I have no idea if this is the person to whom Rich/Buddy was referring to, however.  I *hate* to speculate.  And I certainly don't want to make excuses for someone else.  But we've yet to hear from Stephen on this topic and my understanding is that he's wrapped up pretty significantly until the 15th of this month with unrelated business of higher priority.

What if the shut down was a surprise to Rich and he couldn't get it back?

That's a horrible possibility!  All it'd take would be the person with that ultimate authority to be away from the net (out of town on vacation, say), and we'd end up with a situation pretty close to what happened.  We're all so used to 24/7 communication and response in this digital world, but the real world can easily encroach on our favorite electrons.

I hope if this is the case it isn't eating on Rich.  **** happens.  I REALLY got the impression that Rich had "moved on" and that he didn't have the control any more.  Sorry I didn't pry more.

I, too, hope Rich isn't in a position where things are eating at him.  If rehab has basically forced him off the net/telephones then a setback to his old baby could really be crushing.  

And I'm not interested in you prying any more than what you've already shared with us.  I'm happy you shared what you knew (I read your original note, pre-edit, and I had figured you must have worked with Buddy in the past).  I really am not interested in placing blame as much as I'm interested in getting closure.  Gone Gold was exceptionally personal to me (I'd imagine only a few other folks can even relate to how much that site had meant to me, and other than Rich, Bill, Andy, and possibly Joel, I don't think anyone else can compare the effects that site had on their lives).  It'd be nice for me to understand why I can no longer visit that site.  I don't care who "goofed up," so much as I understand whether it was a goof-up or an intential plug-pulling that brought down the castle.

I was actually thinking of starting a "What really happened to Gonegold?" thread in the hopes that whoever took it over had things go to hell and was just to ashamed to admit the needed help.

I'm in pretty close contact with the likely candidates regarding folks who could be involved with what really happened, and I can tell you from my seats, it doesn't sound like anyone we've heard from knows a peep.

Thanks again,
~Neal
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2004, 09:52:56 PM »

So is it really dead yet?

If so when's the wake?

How does this work again?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2004, 09:55:04 PM »

Damn, and I missed it.   Can someone send me a copy of the post if they have it?  biggrin  :twisted:  biggrin  :twisted:  biggrin

I can't remember exactly. But I think he got possessed then ran around like a crazy person. And he had to be put down.

Just Hiro will do.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2004, 09:55:48 PM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"

If so when's the wake?

Right here, right now.

noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2004, 09:57:11 PM »

Stephen is the only person from the staff that no one's heard from yet, and he had the keys to the kingdom.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but this mystery's turning ugly.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2004, 10:00:14 PM »

Before anyone DOES jump to any conclusions, let me restate something from earlier posts.

1.  Stephen warned us ahead of time that he would be incredibly busy on a non-GG project, and would be extremely difficult to get ahold of during this time.  It isn't a conspiracy.  It is entirely likely that he hasn't been anywhere near Gone Gold in a couple of weeks.

2.  Peacedog has said that we should have heard from him by tonight, although I can't guarantee that.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2004, 10:03:25 PM »

Quote from: "noun"
Stephen is the only person from the staff that no one's heard from yet, and he had the keys to the kingdom.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but this mystery's turning ugly.

Nah, lets not think that way.  If Stephen is having problems I would rather help him out.   Like I said I have at least $20 I can throw in the kitty if financials are the problems.  I don't have any talents in the other areas that would be needed, but I'm sure there are people who do.  If this really did happen on Stephens watch (WHICH WE ARE PURELY SPECULATING), then all I have to say is this:

"Come home Stephen, we love you, all is forgiven, let us help."

Seriously, think how much Stephen has done for the site (as well as everyone else).  If he needs help dammit, lets help him.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2004, 10:08:39 PM »

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 10:17:19 PM »

Maybe everyone should leave Rich and Stephen alone? If they have real life things going on, why hassle them with this. Let's just rebuild the community and leave them in peace.
Peacedog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2004, 10:18:20 PM »

2. Peacedog has said that we should have heard from him by tonight, although I can't guarantee that.

Baring something unforseen, I will.  I spoke to him this afternoon already.  We didn't get to talk long, however.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2004, 10:18:35 PM »

Glad to hear Rich is still okay.  Still really bummed about Gone Gold  :?
billharris44
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2004, 10:22:05 PM »

I don't have any more information than you guys do, but I've talked to Stephen dozens of times over the last two years and probably exchanged three hundred e-mails. There is zero chance that Stephen, in any way, played a role in this happening.
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2004, 10:22:36 PM »

I would be interested in knowing how much bandwidth the forums used a month.  If CG is where the community wants to stay, that's grand.  Otherwise it would help get a estimate on how much it would be to get us another home.

EDIT: Also, Thank the Maker that Rich is all right.  I never really considered the possibility that something like that would be the cause of what has happened.  With something like that I think we would have gotten at least some news, not just the carpet yanked out from underneath us.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2004, 10:53:21 PM »

wankerjr wrote:

If so when's the wake?

Right here, right now.

To GoneGold. Salut

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2004, 11:00:18 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

I can't remember exactly. But I think he got possessed then ran around like a crazy person. And he had to be put down.

No I was MURDERED by Lyno on command of the corrupt X-COM commander Samurai!

Also I got RPGHero killed twice, he has no reason to lie.

Alas it seems the great dream is gone and GoneGold will alas fade into the wind. We therefore are an unholy gathering of electronics pestilence.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2004, 11:21:39 PM »

Quote from: "Rhinohelix"
I would be interested in knowing how much bandwidth the forums used a month.  If CG is where the community wants to stay, that's grand.  Otherwise it would help get a estimate on how much it would be to get us another home.

EDIT: Also, Thank the Maker that Rich is all right.  I never really considered the possibility that something like that would be the cause of what has happened.  With something like that I think we would have gotten at least some news, not just the carpet yanked out from underneath us.

Rhino

None of that is an issue. We have new home options already without needing to raise money. But to answer your question around 300GB a month.

Rip
GoblinToe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2004, 11:31:27 PM »

So long, Rich, and thanks for all the fish!

I definitely can't see how anyone could feel animosity towards the man.  How many years of free entertainment did we get out of the GoneGold forums?  Many for me, and I came in later than most.   How about the gaming partners, the trading resources, the hot hardware deals, and most importantly, how many people learned to shave the boys on the GoneGold forums?!

Free.  No charge.  Always available for...you guessed it...free!

You can't beat that deal, and the way I see it, I owe Rich more than a few beers.

Sure it didn't end pretty, but c'est la vie.

Glad to hear the real story isn't as bad as it could have been.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2004, 11:31:38 PM »

300GB?!  :shock:
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2004, 11:41:12 PM »

I'm very confused, or very, very stupid (or both).

Now, in truth, I showed up in the forums in early 2002, and I seem to have missed Rich's presence in the forums entirely.  And since I buy nearly every game released without consideration for quality - I rarely had an occassion to read the content on the main site.

Translation?  I don't really know Rich from a hill of beans.  By all accounts, he's a decent fellow, and I wish him the best in real life.

But that leaves the matter of what happened here - and the explanation given just doesn't jive.  How is it that NO ONE in a position to know that things have gone to hell realized that things had gone to hell (aside from Rich)?  How is it that the burden of a site that you aren't running anymore is too much to bear that you have to pull the plug without any warning?

At this point, I'm starting to care less and less about WHY it happened, and more and more about what we can do to either reverse this shenanigans, or to at least get the data back and get it somewhere without the "gonegold" name so that we can pretend this didn't happen.

I mean damn.  This doesn't sound anything like the personalities of the people involved here that I've heard about.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2004, 11:45:30 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"

Yes, at over 12000 hits a day.

Rip
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2004, 11:47:56 PM »

The last backup was 26GB in size.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2004, 11:50:48 PM »

Quote from: "Rip"

Rip

Correction--probably millions of hits/day, 12,000 pages displayed is probably more on target.  12,000 hits/day isn't much.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2004, 11:55:31 PM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"

Rip

Correction--probably millions of hits/day, 12,000 pages displayed is probably more on target.  12,000 hits/day isn't much.

Pretty damn awesome, when you think about it :mrgreen:
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2004, 11:55:39 PM »

Quote from: "HarveyB"
wankerjr wrote:

If so when's the wake?

Right here, right now.

To GoneGold. Salut

To GoneGold - Prost!

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2004, 11:58:21 PM »

Quote from: "CSL"
Quote from: "SuperHiro"

No I was MURDERED by Lyno on command of the corrupt X-COM commander Samurai!

Also I got RPGHero killed twice, he has no reason to lie.

Alas it seems the great dream is gone and GoneGold will alas fade into the wind. We therefore are an unholy gathering of electronics pestilence.

Yup.. "officially" it was because CSL was mind controlled, but in the end...

:twisted:

Welcome to the Bovine.
Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2004, 12:13:23 AM »

Well, at least we've heard that Rich is able to get out and about to do his rehab.

I came to the forums because I had to check out the rest of the site after reading Rich's Roll Calls. If not for them, I would never have even bothered to check out the forums.

I wish Rich and his family nothing but the best in the future, and would also like to thank him for the space he gave us to talk, rant, bitch and generally act like a family. I sure hope we see him around here someday.

Looks like this may be the place to be now. If so, I'm glad it's starting out with a bunch of familiar people.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2004, 12:14:29 AM »

Quote from: "RunningMn9"

At this point, I'm starting to care less and less about WHY it happened, and more and more about what we can do to either reverse this shenanigans, or to at least get the data back and get it somewhere without the "gonegold" name so that we can pretend this didn't happen.

Trust me, we are looking at all of the options.  We are not just dropping the shoe and saying 'screw it'.  Which of those, or other options actually happens isn't entirely decided yet, but something will be happening in the very near future.  Just give us a wee bit of time to sort through all of the chaos and ensure that we make the right decision.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2004, 12:26:59 AM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"

Rip

I'm sorry you are correct hits is poor grammar on my part. 12000 unique visitors is what I should have said.

Rip
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2004, 12:30:42 AM »

Quote from: "Blackhawk"
Trust me, we are looking at all of the options.  We are not just dropping the shoe and saying 'screw it'.  Which of those, or other options actually happens isn't entirely decided yet, but something will be happening in the very near future.  Just give us a wee bit of time to sort through all of the chaos and ensure that we make the right decision.

You can have all the time you need.  I was just hoping that explanation or not - this wouldn't be how it all ended.  I hang my dreams on the GoneGold moderating/admin staff now.
durwoodx
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2004, 12:56:52 AM »

Quote from: "Pyperkub"
Quote from: "HarveyB"
wankerjr wrote:

If so when's the wake?

Right here, right now.

To GoneGold. Salut

To GoneGold - Prost!

Here's tae us; wha's like us?
Gey few, and they're a' deid.

Gaming Addict and Proud!
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2004, 01:03:30 AM »

Quote from: "RunningMn9"
I'm very confused, or very, very stupid (or both).

Now, in truth, I showed up in the forums in early 2002, and I seem to have missed Rich's presence in the forums entirely.  And since I buy nearly every game released without consideration for quality - I rarely had an occassion to read the content on the main site.

Translation?  I don't really know Rich from a hill of beans.  By all accounts, he's a decent fellow, and I wish him the best in real life.

But that leaves the matter of what happened here - and the explanation given just doesn't jive.  How is it that NO ONE in a position to know that things have gone to hell realized that things had gone to hell (aside from Rich)?  How is it that the burden of a site that you aren't running anymore is too much to bear that you have to pull the plug without any warning?

I mean damn.  This doesn't sound anything like the personalities of the people involved here that I've heard about.

I agree 1 million percent. THis just doesnt jive, doesnt add up AT ALL. Pardon my skepticism, but the man had little to do with the site anyway, why all of the sudden would it just fade into oblivion, if he decided to completely drop any control? Wouldnt it make sense that perhaps he cared enough about his fans, his readers, his subscribers, and those that truly loved the site, like me and many others, and would seek someone out to take it over or at least confront the community with this, and see what we could do?

Now we're here, and thats fine, but many of the reasons for me going to GG were to debate political topics, now, those enjoyable times, and that experience, wont be back, if this is true. (However, it would be nice and appreciated if the powers that be here, would create us a place to discuss political issues. Seems that everyone wants to re-create GG, but for some reason they want to omit the place that arguably was one of the biggest assets of GG. I again ask that a R & P type sub forum be created here.)

The whole thing stinks to high heaven, and I dont like it. It was my favorite site on the web, and was someplace I had visited DAILY, for years. Now, thats gone, and I am not pleased.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2004, 01:05:36 AM »

I'm sorry you are correct hits is poor grammar on my part. 12000 unique visitors is what I should have said.

It's pretty crazy that 12,000 people were reading the GG forums.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2004, 01:07:30 AM »

The whole thing stinks to high heaven, and I dont like it. It was my favorite site on the web, and was someplace I had visited DAILY, for years. Now, thats gone, and I am not pleased.

I don't know about you, J, but I stopped visiting the site years ago and I've been visiting the community daily.   And that community shows no signs going away.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2004, 01:10:28 AM »

Gone Gold isn't a place; Gone Gold is people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: