http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:22:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Skinny on Rich (and Gonegold somewhat) SEE 1ST POST EDIT  (Read 39434 times)
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 08:18:42 PM »

(EDIT:  I worked with Rich's brother when I lived in Georgia and called him today.  I was really worried about Rich and wanted to dispell my worst fears.  Sorry for any conjecture I might have added)

I talked with someone very close to Rich (edit: his brother) today and got a little bit of the skinny.

Rich's health problems unfortunately do not allow him to continue the site.  He is spending a lot of time in rehab apparently and I wish him all the best (as I think we all do).  Looking back it is apparent that other concerns in Rich's life probably outweighed Gonegold.  Rich is no longer running Gonegold.  (My apologies for outing you Buddy)

There was also a reference that Rich had let someone else take over the site and that it had "gone to hell".  I assume the "shutdown" was part of that "gone to hell" part.  I can only assume his wife doesn't want to add to Rich's stress is the reason for the hang-ups.  (edit: Okay, the last part is purely speculation, the rest is straight from our phone call)

Edit: I can't see any reason for Buddy to lie.  My eternal apologies for not specifically telling him I might post after my conversation with him.  If anyone wants I can contact him and see if we can come up with an appropriate "tribute" for Rich.

I don't know who was supposed to take over, and quite frankly I don't care.   As far as I'm concerned, with Rich gone, I wish him the best and given that this site has been very accomodating..."I'm here now".  Gonegold might come back up, but based on the facts of what has happened so far, this is my new hangout.  No matter what I hope the rest of you will hang out too.

Hope to see you around.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 08:21:55 PM »

Finally, we have some closure, I guess.

I hope people will refrain from bashing on Rich, for the way the site went out. We don't know his circumstances, and what condition he might be in.

Thanks for the update, RPGHero
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 08:28:54 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Finally, we have some closure, I guess.

I hope people will refrain from bashing on Rich, for the way the site went out. We don't know his circumstances, and what condition he might be in.

Thanks for the update, RPGHero

I ABSOLUTELY hope people don't bash on Rich.  It sounded like Rich tried to do the right thing and it went wrong.  I'm sure we can all relate.

I met Rich once at the "C&C Renegade" special event in Indianapolis once.  I was happy to see at one point that major magazine were using his "gold" section and that he built a heck of a community.  Some of his police stories were amusing and heart-wrenching.  I wish Rich nothing but the best.  Quite frankly one time I was thinking that if Rich hadn't gotten hurt he might have even been on the scene on 9/11.  That got me thinking of the "balls" this guy had, and how much he still had to live with his condition and run a site like this.  The only thing I'm sorry about is that we didn't get to shower accolades on him before the end.  He deserved them.  I hope at some point he'll stop by to say hello.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 08:30:24 PM »

Quote from: "RPGHero"
I ABSOLUTELY hope people don't bash on Rich.  It sounded like Rich tried to do the right thing and it went wrong.  I'm sure we can all relate.

Don't worry...we plan on nipping that in the bud if he is bashed.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 08:31:16 PM »

If it wasn't for Rich, we wouldn't all be talking to each other now.

I hope all is well with him and someday he surfaces again.

The loss of GoneGold (at the risk of sounding melodramatic) is significant. There was a pretty large corner of the internet carved out.
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 08:37:01 PM »

If this is fact, give or take a few details I'm cool with it, and wish Rich good luck and god speed on the road that is life. He's a great guy and no one can second guess a situation they're not in.

I do wish someone he does trust would receive the password so the good parts (The Forum, Gold Guide etc could be salvaged, or archived somewhere as perhaps a read only archive or somesuch)...

The King is Dead. Long live the King.

The PTB here are wonderful in their welcoming of a bunch of us, even tho most of us know each other.

The Gone Gold Effect lives on.

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 08:37:04 PM »

Thanks a million for the update.  All the best to Rich and his family, you know that this is likely ten times harder for him than it is for the rest of us, seeing his baby going under and all.  I will admit that for the first time in my history on the internet I actually had a dream last night about a specific website.  I dreamt GG was back up with all kinds of enhancements and new features.  Sigh.   frown

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 08:37:06 PM »

In a week of things that have made me very sad, this makes me very sad.  Too bad frown
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 08:37:08 PM »

The only thing I'm sorry about is that we didn't get to shower accolades on him before the end.  He deserved them.  

Who's to say we can't? I'd be all for us somehow organizing some way to say thanks to him.  We can all get pissed over this, or show some class and gratitude for what he gave us out of his own pocket. There's no way I'll believe that Rich wants it to be this way.

We could send him cards, or something. Ideas?
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 08:37:34 PM »

So long and thanks for all the roll calls and short-takes!

I have nothing but fond memories of Rich and his website. One of my favorite snacks came from his Football Sunday recipes: Ritz crackers with peanut butter and jalapenos. Yummmm.

Honestly, the "goodbye"/"please don't!" thread would have been pretty maudlin and I'm happy to skip it.

The ONLY thing that concerns me about all this is the many, many people who would really want to find out where we migrated but didn't get informed. Towards that end, I still hope we can get a temporary message or redirect link set up at the old URL ASAP.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 08:39:20 PM »

If this is true, then it's actually better news than I had hoped for. At least Rich is able to get out and do rehab. With it ending so suddenly, I think a lot of us were fearing the worst. As it is, I'm still holding out hope that we can have a community wide get-together at some unspecified date in the future, and everyone can thank Rich face-to-face for all his hard work. I don't know if you'll ever read this, Rich, but you're in my prayers. Be well.

The bright side is that Console Gold (not to mention KD, Agt. Fox and all the others) have been so accommodating in rolling out the welcome mat for us. If there is to be a spiritual successor to Gone Gold, I think it's Console Gold, and I'm glad for it.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »

I have nothing but the highest respect for Rich and I wish him the best.

But...

I'm confused about:

Rich's health problems unfortunately do not allow him to continue the site.

It appeared that Rich's commitments to GoneGold were pretty minimal at this point - and many, many offers of financial assistance were offered if it was a cost issue.  To be blunt - why pull the plug on a site that seemed to function adequately in his absence?
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 08:39:49 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
The only thing I'm sorry about is that we didn't get to shower accolades on him before the end.  He deserved them.  

Who's to say we can't? I'd be all for us somehow organizing some way to say thanks to him.  We can all get pissed over this, or show some class and gratitude for what he gave us out of his own pocket. There's no way I'll believe that Rich wants it to be this way.

We could send him cards, or something. Ideas?

I live in Indy, so if whatever we wind up doing requires a personal drop-off, I'll be the first to volunteer.  If not, I'm still in.  A bit short on ideas right now though; I'll think on it.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 08:40:19 PM »

I don't see how any sane person could think of bashing Rich for letting his labor of love continue even though he couldn't have a direct hand in it. That's what GG was, it's obvious to me - his labor of love. Sure, it started out as an exercise, as a way to learn HTML, then web programming, to clean up the game closet, maybe get some "in" with the gaming publishers... but in the end he poured his heard & soul into it, and that's what made it so appealing and made it feel like home.

If it's gone, it shall surely be mourned - gone, but certainly not forgotten.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 08:44:30 PM »

One thing that was done in the past was just simple gift certificates for games (and a few games, IIRC).  MJ made a post as to how much Rich appreciated it.  That could be done again.

Another idea is a new PC or updates to his current PC.  Who couldn't use a new GeForce 6800 GT?

PSN ID: evilhomer3k
noxiousdog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 08:49:48 PM »

I would be all for a final thank you.

I don't think anything I could do would in anyway repay the hours of enjoyment or the wealth of knowledge I have gained because of his brain-child.

In the meantime, you're welcome to discuss R&P here.
OOTP Commish: HCL
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 08:51:37 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 08:53:32 PM »

There was also a reference that Rich had let someone else take over the site and that it had "gone to hell".  I assume the "shutdown" was part of that "gone to hell" part.

I'd like to hear more about this.  The reason there weren't updates to GG was because they were Rich's domain and no one else felt we had the authority to do updates.  I continued doing the piddly Weekly Values thing, but eventually lost interest because nothing else was happening in terms of front-page content.

I hope it wasn't Rich's words that the site "went to hell".  Quite honestly, his lack of communication to a very willing staff handcuffed us all from doing much of anything.  Certainly his condition may have stopped him from such communication, but I'd hate to hear he was upset because we didn't keep things updated.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 08:54:51 PM »

I think that little tangent is best left unexplored.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 08:55:29 PM »

It's weird posting on another forum, but I'm glad Console Gold is here to keep alive what Rich started.  Good to see some familiar names too.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 08:57:28 PM »

I met Rich once at the "C&C Renegade" special event in Indianapolis once.

I was at that event.  Did we meet?
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »

Thanks for the update RPG.  Really appreciate you taking the time to share this with us.

Rich's health problems unfortunately do not allow him to continue the site.  He is spending a lot of time in rehab apparently and I wish him all the best (as I think we all do).  Looking back it is apparent that other concerns in Rich's life probably outweighed Gonegold.  Rich is no longer running Gonegold.

I don't understand how this only recently became relevant.  My understanding is that Rich didn't have a lot to do with the site in recent months/years.  

There was also a reference that Rich had let someone else take over the site and that it had "gone to hell".  I assume the "shutdown" was part of that "gone to hell" part.  I can only assume his wife doesn't want to add to Rich's stress is the reason for the hang-ups.

I know a couple of the likely parties which this person may be referring to, but it would *shock* me to find out that Rich wouldn't like the job his chosen steward had done and then would react, not by letting that person know what he disagreed with, but rather by just yanking the rug out from under everyone.  This does not seem to jibe with Rich's style, at least as I had understood it for the past five years.

Very odd.  This is far from giving me closure, but instead confusing the heck out of me.  Sometimes it's better to be far removed from a situation, I suppose.

~The Meal
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 09:02:21 PM »

A fond fare well to, Rich, then.  I'm not happy about the exit nor the manner it which it was made, but you still did great things for my day to day life, even when those great things were just leaving us the legacy of the community which you nurtured.

I hope the "gone to hell thing" was just an interpretation.  That doesn't sound like the Rich I remember through the few emails we shared, and if that is the direction his spirit is headed, then the world is brutal place and deserves to urinated on more often.

May the pain be tolerable and may love of family conquor all.  I hope to see you in better days and better ways on some corner of the Internet again some time.

Mike
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2004, 09:04:38 PM »

Quote from: "J.M. Diller"

There was also a reference that Rich had let someone else take over the site and that it had "gone to hell".  I assume the "shutdown" was part of that "gone to hell" part.

I'd like to hear more about this.  The reason there weren't updates to GG was because they were Rich's domain and no one else felt we had the authority to do updates.  I continued doing the piddly Weekly Values thing, but eventually lost interest because nothing else was happening in terms of front-page content.

I hope it wasn't Rich's words that the site "went to hell".  Quite honestly, his lack of communication to a very willing staff handcuffed us all from doing much of anything.  Certainly his condition may have stopped him from such communication, but I'd hate to hear he was upset because we didn't keep things updated.

I didn't get a chance to explore this much because the person I talked to didn't want to seem to explore it (and I didn't want to pry, we hadn't talked in awhile).  I made the mental leap that perhaps Rich thought the new person person would just takeover and get running with it...and they didn't.  BUT, I can tell you that it wasn't the SITE that went to hell, it was the TRANSITION from their tone.  Sorry if anyone might have thought I implied the other.  I think everyone who worked with Rich on the site did an awesome job,
 (Although I might have disagreed with their actions at some times, I'm generally disagreeable so no biggie)  biggrin
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2004, 09:07:41 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2004, 09:09:43 PM »

In other words Rich decided he couldn't handle the site, decided to pass it on to someone else, and the process of passing it on is what went to hell.

Hum.  That is a bit more understandable, but try not to be offended by our skepticism.  The people who worked the closest with Rich on the site were apparently taken as much by surprise as the New Guys were.  That some third party would know about the disposition of Rich's (one time) pride and joy, but his trusted lieutenants wouldn't is a bit confounding.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2004, 09:10:29 PM »

I think this tells us that we shouldn't send him thanks or certifcates or something... The way his wife hangs up on us, and he didn't let us know of anything, implies that he no longer wants anything to do with us.

Nonetheless, I wish him luck in wherever life takes him.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2004, 09:10:57 PM »

Quote from: "The Meal"
Thanks for the update RPG.  Really appreciate you taking the time to share this with us.

Rich's health problems unfortunately do not allow him to continue the site.  He is spending a lot of time in rehab apparently and I wish him all the best (as I think we all do).  Looking back it is apparent that other concerns in Rich's life probably outweighed Gonegold.  Rich is no longer running Gonegold.

I don't understand how this only recently became relevant.  My understanding is that Rich didn't have a lot to do with the site in recent months/years.  

There was also a reference that Rich had let someone else take over the site and that it had "gone to hell".  I assume the "shutdown" was part of that "gone to hell" part.  I can only assume his wife doesn't want to add to Rich's stress is the reason for the hang-ups.

I know a couple of the likely parties which this person may be referring to, but it would *shock* me to find out that Rich wouldn't like the job his chosen steward had done and then would react, not by letting that person know what he disagreed with, but rather by just yanking the rug out from under everyone.  This does not seem to jibe with Rich's style, at least as I had understood it for the past five years.

Very odd.  This is far from giving me closure, but instead confusing the heck out of me.  Sometimes it's better to be far removed from a situation, I suppose.

~The Meal

Um, let me ask this...and I am PURELY speculating.  Isn't there a member of the staff we haven't heard from yet nor has anyone else (I thought I saw this on another thread)?  What if the shut down was a surprise to Rich and he couldn't get it back? (passwords changed and no way to contact other person)  I hope if this is the case it isn't eating on Rich.  **** happens.  I REALLY got the impression that Rich had "moved on" and that he didn't have the control any more.  Sorry I didn't pry more.  
I was actually thinking of starting a "What really happened to Gonegold?" thread in the hopes that whoever took it over had things go to hell and was just to ashamed to admit the needed help.  I have $20 in my pocket right now to help the site get restarted if someone needs it.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2004, 09:11:11 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
I don't see how any sane person could think of bashing Rich for letting his labor of love continue even though he couldn't have a direct hand in it. That's what GG was, it's obvious to me - his labor of love. Sure, it started out as an exercise, as a way to learn HTML, then web programming, to clean up the game closet, maybe get some "in" with the gaming publishers... but in the end he poured his heard & soul into it, and that's what made it so appealing and made it feel like home.

If it's gone, it shall surely be mourned - gone, but certainly not forgotten.

Well said. It's easy to imagine gonegold.com shifting from a hobby to a responsibility to a burden. I know he kept wanting to get back to work on it only to have some new death or diagnosis stop him. Hopefully this is like a weight of his shoulders.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2004, 09:11:33 PM »

Well have we heard from the guy who ran the forums and the server?

RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004, 09:12:29 PM »

I edited my initial post...I've added details.  I hope if GG comes back I'm not banned nor linched in Georgia.
Peacedog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 09:12:55 PM »

I'll be speaking with Stephen later this evening.
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 09:18:06 PM »

Like everyone here, I have nothing but the utmost fondness and respect for Rich, and wish him well in the future. That said:

I'd be all for us somehow organizing some way to say thanks to him. We can all get pissed over this, or show some class and gratitude for what he gave us out of his own pocket. There's no way I'll believe that Rich wants it to be this way.

I don't know about that.  Rich has made it very clear that for whatever reason (probably too much emotional baggage) he has no interest in contact with the GG community at this time. I say respect his wishes and leave the guy alone.  Maybe an email from ONE PERSON saying here's where to find us, and leave it up to him to reach out when the time is right.

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
Seekre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 09:22:29 PM »

RPGHero - thanks for the update and special thanks to the Console Gold Forum for their warm welcome to all of us refugees
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2004, 09:22:44 PM »

Thanks for the edits.  With some of the recent joke posts that have appeared, you can understand why we were a bit suspicious of anonymous sources.

/edit - does your name start with a 'J'?  There was one person I met at the Be A Renegade event with Rich that was a GG regular, but I could never remember their screen name.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2004, 09:23:19 PM »

So when I was wondering in a post yesterday if anyone is in contact with Rich's brother down in Georgia apparantly someone is?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 09:25:59 PM »

Well that about settles it. If you talked to the big mans brother, who is closer than anyone (including former staff) to him, I would say that is about it.

Very interesting...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 09:26:52 PM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"
So when I was wondering in a post yesterday if anyone is in contact with Rich's brother down in Georgia apparantly someone is?

Yes, I contacted him strictly out of concern for Rich.  His brother is absolutely the way Rich portrays him.  The man knows how to live  biggrin

The site being down bums me out.  Rich being okay makes me happy enough that I'm karmicly (sp?) even.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 09:29:30 PM »

Quote from: "Blackhawk"
Thanks for the edits.  With some of the recent joke posts that have appeared, you can understand why we were a bit suspicious of anonymous sources.

/edit - does your name start with a 'J'?  There was one person I met at the Be A Renegade event with Rich that was a GG regular, but I could never remember their screen name.

Nah, I kept a low profile, I would have been only somewhat memorable that I drove all the way from Detroit with a buddy of mine to attend.  I mostly got pwnd, had a lot of fun and was jealous that people in Indy had such a cool place to hang out.

Did I mention I had an awesome time?  biggrin   I still have the special t-shirt.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 09:35:55 PM »

Did I mention I had an awesome time?  biggrin   I still have the special t-shirt.

Gah!  I missed out on the shirts.  I still have the mouspad and poster, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: