http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Screen savers... worth saving?  (Read 1508 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2004, 12:06:59 PM »

I really hated the new Screen Savers. The new set was an eye soar, the new host Alex Albrecht was a new level of annoying and the show had very little tech. However I do realize that my inital reaction my of just been a reaction to change. I heard that Kevin and the people who ran the screen savers were sensitive to the changes and were going to do some tweeking for older fans. So a couple months went by and I'd figure I'd give it another chance. And to my surprise, the show has gotten worse. They have Sarah Lane dressed up and cating like a 14 year old hopped up on sugar, Kevin and Alex think that talking loud and acting excited about everything is cool, and something has gone wrong with the audio and it actually hurts to listen to it. As if there is some sound ment to drive away anyone over the age of 15 or something. The actual content of the show was all fluff but at least it wasn't cooking with heat sinks. What is weird is they actually do the intro twice now bumpering a 3 minute G4 sports segment at the beginning of the show.

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 02:26:34 PM »

I have not watched it it over a month because I do not have cable in my new place.  You say the show got worse?  It was already a train wreck.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 04:48:57 PM »

I've noticed that since Patrick Norton left, and the new guy took his place they show Sarah Lane's cleavage alot more than the use to. It's not the greatest cleavage in the world, but it ain't half bad either.
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 05:39:12 PM »

It's not the terrific show it was when Leo was there, but it's still better than most things on tv.

Sarah is the best part of the show now, not just because she looks good, but she's got a lot of personality and is clever.

The new guy is ok. But what is missing now is first of all Leo is a great entertainer, and Leo and Pat both knew a lot about technolgy, past and present, that gave the show some depth.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 05:57:59 PM »

I enjoyed Patrick and Leo, Patrick probably more.  I tried to watch it lately and thought "Who are these people?"

I miss the old show.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 06:03:13 PM »

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 07:23:15 PM »

You need to somehow get a hold of the new Call for Help, Rob. While I still enjoy watching The Screensavers, many people I've talked to say that Call For Help is back to its roots.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 07:27:31 PM »

I turned on the SS the other day for like the second time since the change and they had that guy who does the mods showing off a "pimp" mod case. He was dressed up like one too. The combination of him and that god awful annoying new host with the stupid hair was just too much. Leo could be annoying at times too but this show is just utter crap now...

The only stuff I can watch for more than 5 minutes on G4 now is XPlay since that seems mostly the same and I have grown to like Adam somewhat and how he rips on stuff like Final Fantasy and such, and the other review show Judgement Day. The shorter guy Talarico or whatever his name is can be annoying but the other one is ok.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 09:27:12 PM »

I posted a while back that I would give SS a month. Well, I can say for right now I'm sticking around. I've gotten used to Alex for the most part, which was my main contention.

Right now I'm hoping there will be more live calls (They do 2 if we are lucky) and less crap (TV dinners I'm looking at you).

I would say the one thing I miss the most was the tech news at the beginning. In the old days they talk about 2-3 stories at the start of each show, and while they sort of talk about new things I'm thinking they don't do this anymore because neither really have enough "water under the bridge" to talk at length about something.

To other programing Judgement Day is a nice counter balance to X-Play. Simply for the fact that you have two people giving more pros and cons with a bit less we can be hip that XPlay tries to do. As far as Tommy Tallarico is concerned the fact that he was involved with a lot of the music from the older console days means he gets my respect.

Oh and since this is turning into a rambling if anyone is turning away from G4TechTv because of the whole SS deal give Icons a shot. It has a nice History channel feel to it only it talks about the gaming industry.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 09:35:16 PM »

Never seen it, except for this that was just sent to me: http://www.g4techtv.com/flashpop.aspx?video_key=8874

I like it.  nod

LiveTAG: happydog
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 10:12:43 PM »

I was really excited about getting a channel dedicated to gaming but after watching it a couple times I've discovered I'm an old man and don't get the appeal of G4.

Maybe if I was ADD, ADHD and all the other disorders kids these days have I'd be able to understand but I don't so I rarely watch G4. I may stop when flipping channels and they are doing in-game shots while talking about the game.

Zathras
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 03:07:41 AM »

How to overclock a toothbrush?

Puh-leeze!

Cthulhu in '04!  Why vote for the lesser of two evils?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 10:56:21 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"

To other programing Judgement Day is a nice counter balance to X-Play. Simply for the fact that you have two people giving more pros and cons with a bit less we can be hip that XPlay tries to do. As far as Tommy Tallarico is concerned the fact that he was involved with a lot of the music from the older console days means he gets my respect.

Oh and since this is turning into a rambling if anyone is turning away from G4TechTv because of the whole SS deal give Icons a shot. It has a nice History channel feel to it only it talks about the gaming industry.

I have Judgement Day and Icons on season passes before the merger. So I'm not against G4. In fact if I read right from the forums, most of the changes to the Screen Savers came from their own TechTV producer who wanted to make the show like it is now over at Tech TV but couldn't.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: