http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Road  (Read 2293 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:28:21 AM »

a post apocalyptic trip from the autor of 'No Country for Old Men'.  it looks to be better, and may have an actual ending  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »

Not sure about this one. It got bumped forward a whole year. It was pretty much ready for release last fall, but they held back because there were too many 'award contenders' on the screens. The hopeful thing about this one is that it's directed by John Hillcoat, who directed the excellent western 'The Proposition'. Frankly, I think I want to read the book first; its supposed to a great book.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:40:23 AM »

I finally started reading this today.  Been meaning to for a while.  No impressions yet because I'm only ten pages in, but I liked the one other book of his that I read.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:30:12 AM »

I really liked the book, but man is it bleak. If the film comes anywhere close to capturing the feel of the novel, you're not going to leave the theater feeling upbeat about mankind's future.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:06 AM »

Goddamn that looks like a downer.

The book is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get to it.  I dunno.  Looks super depressing.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:36:32 AM »

After all the hype the book got I thought it was pretty disappointing.  Not bad, but when it was over I just felt like "That was it?  Really?"

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »

Hmmm, I don't know.

I really loved the book and this movie was really nothing how I envisioned it to be. "An Epic Journey?" I never really got that from the book.

There were scenes from the trailer that I remember from the book, but it just didn't feel right.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:50:45 AM »

Might be good.  I loved the book, but I'm interested in how it will translate from the source material.
I liked the ambiguity about the apocalyptic world in the book, but looks like it's explained somewhat from the trailer.  The fact you didn't know how it happened made it seem even more bleak and frightening.
I do hope it turns out good.  Hillcoat's The Proposition was excellent.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:44:18 AM »

Esquire saw it and says it's "the most important movie of the year."  Can't wait!  I read the entire book in a single sitting.

http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »

I have feeling the watching this and The Wrestler back to back might push a lot of people into deep depression.   Add the Crow in for good measure
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »

According to the Esquire article, the trailer is not very indicative of the whole movie. All the clips showing the destruction of the world and the like are never shown in the actual movie. The author thinks the film is a fairly faithful adaptation.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »

That was a very weak trailer.  But then again, the source material doesn't lend itself to a strong, action-packed trailer. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »

I worry about this, simply because the book seems like a series of vignettes with a broader overarching plot than a straightforward story. Still, The Proposition is one of my favorite movies (as bleak as it is to watch), and I hope this is as good. We'll see.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:58:12 PM »

Without giving away too many spoilers, why are they being chased by rednecks?  It's like that river movie but  post-apocalyptic.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 15, 2009, 12:58:12 PM

Without giving away too many spoilers, why are they being chased by rednecks?  It's like that river movie but  post-apocalyptic.

Not a huge spoiler, but this is what I recall:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Pretty sure it's not explicitly stated in that scene what the guy wants.  It's more of a general sense that it's every man for himself and running into a group of armed strangers in the wilderness is a bad thing.  Among the horrible things that people could do to you (and a young child), a big theme of the book is that people have turned to cannibalism to survive.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 15, 2009, 12:58:12 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Because they are FOOD

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 02:01:28 PM »

The book was one of the greatest things I've ever read. Very dark, yet gripping and compelling. I have no hope that the movie will live up to how awesome the book was in my opinion, simply because...

Spoiler for Hiden:
in the book, they had very few scenes with the mother, and never mentioned what the disaster was

In the trailer, they spend the first thirty seconds showing the disaster, and the rest of the first minute with scenes with the mother.

So I doubt they'll be as true to the book as I would hope. One of the key points of the book is that the father and son were never named - and I doubt they'd be willing to go the entire movie without giving them a name.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on May 15, 2009, 02:01:28 PM

The book was one of the greatest things I've ever read. Very dark, yet gripping and compelling. I have no hope that the movie will live up to how awesome the book was in my opinion, simply because...

Spoiler for Hiden:
in the book, they had very few scenes with the mother, and never mentioned what the disaster was

In the trailer, they spend the first thirty seconds showing the disaster, and the rest of the first minute with scenes with the mother.

So I doubt they'll be as true to the book as I would hope. One of the key points of the book is that the father and son were never named - and I doubt they'd be willing to go the entire movie without giving them a name.

Again, according to the Esquire article
Spoiler for Hiden:
the disaster is never shown or explicitly dealt with in the movie. And while the mother has a bit more of a role in the movie than in the book, it's not much more. I think they showed her a lot in the trailer since she's being portrayed by a famous actress.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on May 15, 2009, 11:18:42 AM

I have feeling the watching this and The Wrestler back to back might push a lot of people into deep depression.   Add the Crow in for good measure

the Crow depressing?  you should have gone with Star Trek Nemesis  Tongue

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »

I've always told my wife that Pittsburgh is a depressing place.  And not only depressing, but post-apocalyptic.   icon_lol

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »

The Crow is damn dark and depressing...and the graphic novel conveys a sense of pain and inner agony so clear and so direct at times it is overwhelming.

I listened to The Road and it also felt overpowering at times.....as did Blood Meridian.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:00:30 PM by Jaddison » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on May 15, 2009, 02:01:28 PM

One of the key points of the book is that the father and son were never named - and I doubt they'd be willing to go the entire movie without giving them a name.

The current cast listing for the film simply has Viggo Mortensen as "The Man" and the actor playing his son as "The Boy". Considering the nature of the dialogue (mainly between father and son), I don't think it will be an issue not giving them names.

16-bit and loving it!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »

I read The Road and was underwhelmed.  I'll see the movie because Viggo is usually excellent and the material lends itself to being a decent movie, but I really don't understand the overwhelming praise for the book.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »

Never heard of this,but am definitely interested - Also, Viggo is a cool guy. Having thrown down a few beers with him once,you couldnt tell he was a megastar from the way he was.

A new one
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »

I’m excited about the film, I thought the Road was an excellent story.  It’s a very bittersweet tale in an extremely vivid setting.  I’d also argue it’s one of McCarthy’s most readable works along with No Country for Old Men.

On my first read, I was under the impression it was a nuclear war.  But you're quite right, the book is quite ambiguous.

From the book....
Spoiler for Hiden:
The clocks stooped at 1:17.  A long shear of light and then a series of low concussions.  He got up and went to the window.  What is it? she said.  He didnt answer.  He went into the bathroom and threw the lightswitch but the power was already gone.  A dull rose glow in the windowglass.  He dropped to one knee and raised the lever to stop the tub and then turned on both taps as far as they would go.  She was standing in the doorway in her nightwear, clutching the jamb, cradling her belly in one hand.  What is it? she said. What is happening?
    I dont know.
    Why are you taking a bath?
    I'm not.

Reading that passage gave me the impression of some kind of missile strike, and the instant power loss made me think nuclear.  But most towns seem to be still intact (except for decay), and I don’t remember any worries about radiation and the like.

16-bit and loving it!
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 05:44:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 15, 2009, 04:36:32 AM

After all the hype the book got I thought it was pretty disappointing.  Not bad, but when it was over I just felt like "That was it?  Really?"

Yep same for me although I had the book on AudioCD.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »

Interesting trailer.  I really enjoyed the book and it will be interesting to see the differences between the book / movie.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on May 15, 2009, 04:34:38 PM

I’m excited about the film, I thought the Road was an excellent story.  It’s a very bittersweet tale in an extremely vivid setting.  I’d also argue it’s one of McCarthy’s most readable works along with No Country for Old Men.

On my first read, I was under the impression it was a nuclear war.  But you're quite right, the book is quite ambiguous.

From the book....
Spoiler for Hiden:
The clocks stooped at 1:17.  A long shear of light and then a series of low concussions.  He got up and went to the window.  What is it? she said.  He didnt answer.  He went into the bathroom and threw the lightswitch but the power was already gone.  A dull rose glow in the windowglass.  He dropped to one knee and raised the lever to stop the tub and then turned on both taps as far as they would go.  She was standing in the doorway in her nightwear, clutching the jamb, cradling her belly in one hand.  What is it? she said. What is happening?
    I dont know.
    I'm not.

Reading that passage gave me the impression of some kind of missile strike, and the instant power loss made me think nuclear.  But most towns seem to be still intact (except for decay), and I don’t remember any worries about radiation and the like.

I think he just happened to mention that the clock stopped at that time.  It seems that whatever the disaster was, it must have been 7 or 8 years previous (depending on how old the boy is).  I assume the clock would run on batteries and like everything else in this post-apocalyptic world, those would be in short supply and they would all die eventually.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 18, 2009, 12:00:28 PM

Quote from: Windows95 on May 15, 2009, 04:34:38 PM

From the book....
Spoiler for Hiden:
    I dont know.
    I'm not.

I think he just happened to mention that the clock stopped at that time.  It seems that whatever the disaster was, it must have been 7 or 8 years previous (depending on how old the boy is).  I assume the clock would run on batteries and like everything else in this post-apocalyptic world, those would be in short supply and they would all die eventually.

would an EMP fry a battery operated device?

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »

This movie is being released tomorrow! Can't wait. Here's a great summary from Wired talking about how the Director went around the U.S. looking for real backgrounds that would fit the story without having to resort to CGI. Looks like PA is pretty much the best place to go for these settings.  icon_twisted

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 08:43:58 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, though I think the early trailers showed too much and used way too many colors.  I think the word "gray" was the most-used in the book.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »

It was an excellent, dreary and bleak book that I read in one sitting.  Damn depressing and probably too realistic.  I don't think I'll see this in the theater though.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »

Quote from: ericb on November 24, 2009, 09:32:28 PM

It was an excellent, dreary and bleak book that I read in one sitting.  Damn depressing and probably too realistic.  I don't think I'll see this in the theater though.

There's no a way a film will be able to capture the sparse narrative effectively.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »

I read that it's opening on fewer than 100 screens in 35 major markets. They scaled back expectations because it's competing with a cartoon about a fox (2,000 screens).

It won't get me out of the house, but I do look forward to renting the DVD.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 03:46:37 AM »

Wait, they're scaling back the release of a movie based on a best-selling Oprah's book club pick starring Viggo Mortensen in order to avoid competition with the new Wes Anderson movie? His last two were good, but I didn't think they were big ticket box office affairs.  The Road has the potential to hit both the post-apocalyptic geek fans and the soccer mom Oprah fans.  That seems strange to me.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 03:58:18 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 15, 2009, 04:13:27 PM

Never heard of this,but am definitely interested - Also, Viggo is a cool guy. Having thrown down a few beers with him once,you couldnt tell he was a megastar from the way he was.
Wait, what? When was this?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 25, 2009, 03:46:37 AM

Wait, they're scaling back the release of a movie based on a best-selling Oprah's book club pick starring Viggo Mortensen in order to avoid competition with the new Wes Anderson movie? His last two were good, but I didn't think they were big ticket box office affairs.  The Road has the potential to hit both the post-apocalyptic geek fans and the soccer mom Oprah fans.  That seems strange to me.

Normals expect uplifting family-friendly crap during the holidays. Not really Cormac McCarthy's audience.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »

It seems like the film most likely to push up those holiday suicide numbers! 

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2009, 11:27:12 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 25, 2009, 08:56:53 PM

Normals expect uplifting family-friendly crap during the holidays. Not really Cormac McCarthy's audience.

I'd be surprised if the Wes Anderson movie provided that.  It's a family movie in disguise!

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 02:21:01 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 25, 2009, 11:27:12 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on November 25, 2009, 08:56:53 PM

I'd be surprised if the Wes Anderson movie provided that.  It's a family movie in disguise!

Quote from: The Boston Globe
Is this really a family film? No more or less so than “The Incredibles,’’ which covered similar psychic turf in a more exuberant, less eccentric fashion. Actually, “Fantastic Mr. Fox’’ rescues the very phrase “family film’’ from an industrial entertainment complex that has warped it beyond all recognition. Anderson deals with generational dynamics - a dad who needs to be forever young, a son looking for the best way to grow up - in a way everyone can access, from kids to grandparents. The movie isn’t funny ha-ha but funny-beguiling, and I think most children will be puzzled and fascinated with it, the way you can be taken with something weird but true.

Which is to say that Anderson’s whimsies work better in this context - with more wit and playful warmth - than in his ostensibly grown-up movies.

So yeah, it's probably a subversive version of the sunshine and lollipops that its target audience will be expecting. In fact, it sounds quite good. You can probably see why it's going to leave The Road in the dust.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: