http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:36:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Road To The Grudge Is Paved In Suck  (Read 2716 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2004, 04:36:22 PM »

Ok, so Kathode and I and another famous game designer dude watched The Grudge last night. Let me say right now, The Grudge sucked. It was awful. It wasn't scary, it wasn't suspenseful. It wasn't creepy, it wasn't clever or original. The cinematography was mediocre, the "writing" laughable, the plot idiotic.

As a "horror" or "suspense" film, the Grudge fails miserably. Several times in the theater people chuckled at things that were supposed to be frightening.

If The Grudge were the sequel to Tuck Everlasting, it would be named Suck Everlasting.

Seriously. There was no point to this movie, no plot, nowhere to go, and the ending...wow.

2 hours of my life I desperately want back. The fact that we as Americans made that movie #1 is a testament to what RMorton calls our willingness to except pure shit as entertainment.

Thank you, I am done now.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 05:17:41 PM »

I already knew that. Ive had zero interest in it. I knew it was another Jap import like The Ring which I disliked and it also starred SMG who I cant stand.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 06:23:31 PM »

As a "horror" or "suspense" film, the Grudge fails miserably. Several times in the theater people chuckled at things that were supposed to be frightening.

I've been noticing that in all horror movies lately, I watched The Saw last night and it was the same thing. Scenes that were supposed to be terrifying were causing laughter...

I enjoyed The Grudge, however. I never have very high expectations for horror movies, a few cheap thrills is all I ask for and it delivered. I felt some of the scenes were suspenseful.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 07:37:09 PM »

THANK YOU for confirming what I've seen in most the reviews of this movie.

The wife and I will probably go see "SAW" on halloween night.

I'm looking forward to it, hope it's freaky scary.  :twisted:
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 08:37:56 PM »

I dunno, I liked it.  There was some interesting stuff going on, but a lot of it was probably more interesting for someone who analyzes horror films on an overly deep level.  I liked the mood it created, I liked some of the scares.  Not the best horror flick I've ever seen, but definitely solid.

Saw is on the list for this week.  I've got a bad feeling it's going to turn out to be another 8mm, however.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 09:26:10 PM »

I avoid horror and comedy movies .....horror movies are not scarey and make me laugh...not been scarey since I was a kid...too bad too.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 03:11:10 AM »

Saw it last night.  It was D-U-M, dumb.  Not remotely scary, nor did it make a lick of sense.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 07:45:34 AM »

Thanks for the warning. I think I'll even skip renting it.

If you guys want a cool supernatural/horror suspense thriller, check out Close Your Eyes, new on DVD. It stars Goran Visnjic of ER as a hypnotist helping track down a creepy serial killer in London. It's very reminiscent of The Exorcist III, which anyone who's seen it can tell you: ROCKS.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 03:54:38 PM »

What a rash a bad horror flicks lately.  The last one to scare the piss out of me was The Ring.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 04:50:41 PM »

The Ring didn't even scare me in the least. Nice camera work but otherwise I was pretty bored with the whole affair.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 05:44:37 PM »

The ring didn't scare me at all either, although I did find some of its imagery disturbing.

Thought it was pretty stupid altogether, though. I am just not that big a fan of horror movies overall.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 05:55:08 PM »

My wife and I watched the Japanese version (Ju-On) last night on DVD and I was left confused.  The movie made no sense whatsoever - it was like a bunch of loosely connected stories centering on some kid that meowed a lot.  It jumped around so much I felt like I was on a trampoline.  Has anyone seen the original that can explain what the hell the movie was about??

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 08:20:41 PM »

The Ring was the best horror movie in years. Very scary, very fun.

I love horror movies. In fact, I'm writing one! Back to it.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 08:25:39 PM »

Well I should admit that I have been watching horror movies since I was about 4-5 years old. My mother is a huge fan of horror movies; so I grew up watching them. So I've gotten used to them all.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 09:07:01 PM »

As a note to my previous post:

The ONE movie to really freak me out was The Exorcist. I was about 10 years olds when I first saw that. My mother and her boyfriend were watching the movie in the living room while I was in my room playing Final Fantasy on the Nintendo 8-bit console. Well, I was hearing some freaky noises coming from the living room and decided to save my game and go check out what the racket was all about.

My mother and her boyfriend were sitting on the couch huddled together and I walked up and sat down infront of the TV and leaned against the couch. My mom in all her wisdom warned me that this movie is very scary and I should probably go to my room. (I had the destict feeling that she was trying to get rid of me so I said, "I'll be alright. I like scary movies."

Bad attitude. Parents are surprisingly wise at times.

So there she was on the bed. all green and grey and nasty looking. And then I heard the most disturbing voice in cinema history project itself from my mothers stereo. The voice of a demon. The voice of perversion. The voice of EVIL.

"Your mother sucks cocks in Hell, Karras, you faithless slime"

I went to bed that night scared shitless and believing that a demon would possess me.

Fast forward. I am now 25 and when I watch The Exorcist I laugh at the demons comments. I understood why my mother and her boyfriend laughed now too. The is some funny dialog coming out of that little girls mouth.

Though I can see why the movie can be scary for some.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2004, 03:11:35 AM »

I saw it tonight, and actually liked it. As a movie (plot-wise) I think it was a mess, but I really liked the creep factor.

The Ring was by far the better movie - it had a cohesive narrative to go along with the scares. The Grudge seemed more like a bunch of Japanese spook scenes loosely strung together with a thin storyline.

I may be a bit biased. I'm a big fan of ghost movies, because often they don't rely on blood and gore. They scare you through a sense of unease and an unrelenting tension, and I think The Grudge accomplished that. Not perfectly by any means, but enough to satisfy me.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 03:08:28 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Freaking Robot spies report to your squid overlords that we are on to you. Hehe just kidding but the Ring scared the hell out of me still does. Can't watch it all the way through I just get freaked out. I'm thinking the Grudge will freak me out equally. Guess I'm a chicken shit *shrugs*

Ascendent

The Grudge has maybe one jump out of your seat moment and it comes precisely when expected so it shouldn't make you jump Tongue , from there on out you are more likely to laugh at the weakness of the scares.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2004, 03:28:54 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "Ascendent"
Freaking Robot spies report to your squid overlords that we are on to you. Hehe just kidding but the Ring scared the hell out of me still does. Can't watch it all the way through I just get freaked out. I'm thinking the Grudge will freak me out equally. Guess I'm a chicken shit *shrugs*

Ascendent

The Grudge has maybe one jump out of your seat moment and it comes precisely when expected so it shouldn't make you jump Tongue , from there on out you are more likely to laugh at the weakness of the scares.

My wife is rather suseptable to jump-out-of-your-seat scares and got a good 6-7 out of the movie. Most she saw coming but still scared her pretty good. She said she thought it was scarier that The Ring.

All in all, it was a decent scary movie i thought.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 05:24:09 PM »

Well, I saw The Grudge on Friday night. My thoughts are that the film has decent horror moments, but in general, the film doesn't make much sense; it doesn't hold together. Apparently, the illogical plot is a legacy of the original film, which has been described as an 'episodic horror' film. I don't think the director ever intended to make a horror film with a straight plot, and thus, the film has problems.

Now, the audience was something else. My friend and me were just baffled (and my friend was just angered and annoyed) by the audience's reaction. We went to a midnight screening... and we should've known that the audience were going to treat the screening like your typical midnight movie, making off-color comments, goofing off the film, laughing innapropriately at stuff that was neither scary nor funny. Also, what is the deal with black people and movies? Do black people find anything scary? The grand majority of the innapropirate laughter and stupid comments at the screening came from black audience members. (I'm not racist.. I'm just observing)  :?

Remind me to not send an invite to Daehawk and Rage to my horror films.  Tongue
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2004, 10:46:32 PM »

I had the same problem at my screening of it.  I should've known better than to go see a horror flick at seven in the evening, but the woman wanted to go then.  In the row in front of us were a team of seven or so twelve or thirteen year-old girls that giggled, squealed, and talked through the whole thing.  

I actually feel bad about this next one.  Behind us must have been some poor sould who was both blind and hard of hearing.  Fortunately, this person had a good friend with him, a rather large young man, who was nice enough to describe, loudly, what was going on at any given moment on the screen.  "She's dead." or "It's dark." and the like.  While it did drive me nuts, I didn't say anything because I felt bad for this obviously disadvantaged friend.  I never did figure out which one was the blind kid though...

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2004, 04:25:55 AM »

Here's my opinion on this movie- nicely done!

There were several good scares, the image in the window being my favorite.  The story/plot was simple yes, but made sense. It was told in an out of sequence way that should be easy enough for anyone who watched any post-Pulp Fiction movies to follow.  I haven't seen the original(that becomes a priority now) but I have seen the Japanese version of the Ring and the American, and I think this version of The Grudge is superior to the American Ring and closer to the essence of what makes the Japanese version so cool.  Even PG13, this movie is way better in every way than Saw.  It has a nice doom and gloom feel that is perfect for a ghost story.
Grinfin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2004, 05:30:27 PM »

I saw it on Friday and it really creeped me out--I had chills wash through me whenever Miss Black Eyes was on. The meowling kid also got to me. Not since Poltergeist's clown has a film had such an effect on me. But they overdid it. At a certain point you just had to laugh at yet another set up coming. Pacing....

The best part of the film came from a member of the audience when he was poked from behind during a tense moment. Poor guy yelled and literally jumped out of his chair. I'm sure he'll have some kind words for the pokester.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2004, 07:17:53 PM »

I liked it alot but it makes me want to see the original now.  My favortie scene was the apartment scene with the sister.  Lord that was scary.  smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: