http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 01:49:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Contest Thread  (Read 1021 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 06:59:59 PM »

(From Google's cache of Qbe's thread)

After some discussion in December, a number of GGers have chosen to resurrect The Contest of last year. After some debate and discussion we've settled on a set of rules which differs somewhat from the original Contest. For the enlightenment and amusement of those who aren't participating, here are:

The Official Rules of The Contest

The Contest is a vow of abstinence from new game purchases. Your purpose(s) in participating may differ from those of other participants, but your goal is the same: to be the last to spend money on computer or video games.

You will ante up a game when you enter The Contest. That game will go to the winner of The Contest.

The central rule of The Contest is simple: do not spend money on computer or video games. Any game related purchase (games, accessories, computer upgrades for gaming) disqualifies you from The Contest.

The Contest begins at 00:01 on January 1, 2004 and runs until only one participant remains who has not disqualified himself.

The Contest naturally must work on the honor system. You may be the only one who knows if you've disqualified yourself; your obligation is to inform the other participants and to send your ante to the winner of The Contest when one is determined.

Details:

Trading: in the original Contest, trading was the only method allowed for obtaining games.
Gifts: in the original Contest, receiving games as gifts was not allowed.
Game rentals: game rentals are not allowed.
Giveaways/freebies: in the spirit of "Pay it Forward Freebies", you may only receive a freebie game if you offer one up in return.
Participation: in order to remain in The Contest, you must post at least twice a month in the official Contest thread at Gone Gold Forum. This lets the rest of the group know that you are still alive and participating.
Demos/shareware/warez: demos are no problem, since they may very well get you inflamed and cause you to forfeit your game. Shareware is fine, but you can't register it. And warez/abandonware are right out. Don't even think about it. Ditto for emulation and illegal ROMs (i.e. those you don't legitimately own--and there's no such thing as "the 24-hour rule").
Freeware: If you have it, play it. If you download legitimate freeware, have fun. If you need to pay for it (e.g. January Computer Gaming World's DVD with 5 full games) after the contest begins, it isn't freeware and violates The Contest.
Continuing/subscription-based games: Participants in MMORPGs are allowed to keep or cancel their current accounts but may not spend additional money on nonrequired expansions or upgrades. OOTP players are allowed to upgrade when their league participation requires them to do so. Players of either type of game who spend the majority of their gaming time on such games should not enter The Contest; those whose participation in such games rises over 50% of gaming time should withdraw from The Contest.

This is the list of participants who've signed in, along with the games they've chosen to ante up (if specified):

Raven VII (new game)
dev/null (new game)
matt

Lord Ebonstone [withdrew 1/6/04]
ThomasCovenant [out 2/13/04]
Hipolito (Knights of the Old Republic) [out 2/15/04]
Lord Corwin [out 2/17/04]
Sudy Nym [withdrew 3/1/04]
warning (Temple of Elemental Evil) [out 3/19/04]
Andrew Mallon (Star Wars Jedi Academy) [out 3/30/04]
JR (new game) [out 4/5/04]
junkie (Tron 2.0) [out 4/8/04]
Qbe (Mafia) [out 5/1/04]

May the best man (woman, whatever) at avoiding temptation win!

Does anyone have the email addresses of Qbe and matt? To let them know that we've moved here for the time being? I don't want to "win by defaut".
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 07:20:33 AM »

I still have my copy of Jedi Academy (or a different game if the winner doesn't like that one) sitting on my desk waiting to be sent to the eventual winner of the contest. If the other's don't show up in a reasonable time frame, I'd say you'll win by default.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 06:50:23 PM »

^bump^

Found the thread cached on Google and posted the first post above, with the particpants and the three remaining contestants. Hoping anyone would know matt and dev/null's email addresses to let them know we've moved here for now. If no one could reach them, the Contest would be considered over, and I would be considered the winner. I don't want anyone to send me any games, since I won by unusual circumstances, and I don't think it's fair to send me the games that I didn't really win.

In any case, it had been fun, and I hope it would live on.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 04:44:00 AM »

At any rate, I vote we have a 2005 contest.  I think I can pull that one off. smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 10:46:53 AM »

My copy of Temple of Elemental Suck is still ready for whoever turns out to be the winner.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 06:54:44 AM »

Man, this thread died. smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 07:04:49 AM »

OUT!!!1111one
Pages: [1]   Go Up