http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:23:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NHL is officially back TONIGHT!  (Read 2473 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2005, 09:08:50 PM »

My life has had a huge void due to having no hockey season last year.

Finally, at long last, the NHL is back.  FIFTEEN GAMES TONIGHT!  I love it.

Too bad I'm unable to watch any   :cry:   I really wish that ESPN would devote a good chunk of Sportscenter to hockey highlights.  Usually it's MAYBE showing one goal a game or something if THAT.

If they want to help the revitalization of hockey, they need to show more highlights and get sports fan excited for the sport.  The new rules were already being showcased (by NHL 06 even, which I thought was pretty neat) on ESPNews yesterday, showing how it's going to be a more open game this season due to the blue line changes as well as the two-line passes being nixed.

I also hoped that some games would be shown on ESPN or ABC or something.  I don't get OLN here, which is a shame, so I suppose listening to radio broadcasts on NHL.com will suffice.

Who else is excited for the NHL season?!  It's going to be a great one (no Gretzky pun intended)!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:24:47 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
If they want to help the revitalization of hockey, they need to show more highlights and get sports fan excited for the sport.

Just to play Devil's Advocate (he's gotta have at least one! :wink:), why would they want to?  It's not like they've got exclusive, or even majority, rights on the games broadcast.  Any increase in the sport's popularity means someone watching a non-ESPN channel for those 3 hours of sport.  I'm just sayin'.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:00:45 PM »

I can't wait.  I've been thinking about it all day.  Like Depwood, I've missed hockey in a bad way.  Watching hockey has been part of my routine for years and when it was gone I didn't know what to do with my winter nights.

As for more clips on ESPN, since they have nothing to do with the NHL anymore, I doubt we'll see anything more than what we're used to.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 01:09:28 AM »

Rookie of the year suits up for his first game tonight in Jersey...Zach Parise!!!

Thanks for being my advocate CS, but it would be nearly impossible for ESPN to show less hockey. As is stands now, the combination of OLN, HDNET, XM and Sirius means that more people than ever will have access to the game. Sure, they might not have the viewership that ESPN does, but putting games on once a week at 3 in the morning, on ESPN2 isn't exactly giving you much exposure.

ESPN has bigger things to broadcast, Outdoor Games, Poker and more basketball than Shawn Kemp has kids. It's really is the "BooYeah" network and I'm glad I have one less reason to watch ESPN.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 02:05:17 AM »

I wonder how many people jumped off the Pens bandwagon tonight...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 12:16:14 PM »

It is only opening night but I like what I saw.  The big question is whether the refs will continue to make those calls.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 01:26:23 PM »

Ok, let me just say Brodeur was insane last night.  My pens shot so many pucks at him in the first period, he just shrugged it off.  That first goal the Devils got just deflated the pens and they started trying to make the perfect shot instead of just continuing to play thier game.  I am very impressed at how free wheeling the devils were.  Parise is indeed very impressive!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 02:47:24 PM »

Ok, let me just say Brodeur was insane last night.

He was out of his head, but he usually is.  :wink:

I am very impressed at how free wheeling the devils were. Parise is indeed very impressive!

They had to change and it looks like it's going to work. How many speedy 5-10 guys is the NHL limit? I think they have about 10! Now they just need to free themselves of Malakhov!

I hope Parise can keep it up over the long season!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 02:52:01 PM »

No comments on how insanely aweful the Flyers looked?

One game into the season, and my heart is already beginning to constrict.

Devil - I'm getting box seats to a Devil's game this year.  Plan accordingly.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Ok, let me just say Brodeur was insane last night.

He was out of his head, but he usually is.  :wink:

I am very impressed at how free wheeling the devils were. Parise is indeed very impressive!

They had to change and it looks like it's going to work. How many speedy 5-10 guys is the NHL limit? I think they have about 10! Now they just need to free themselves of Malakhov!

I hope Parise can keep it up over the long season!

Brodeur really is the best goalie in the world right now...So out of curiousity what did you think of the pens performance devil?  I honestly see them as a #7 or #8 seed.  They need to get some chemistry with having so many new faces....T-Bo also has to perform better than he did last night.  Not to take anything away from the devils last night, but I would say 3 of thier goals were directly due to T-Bo poorly handling an initial shot then giving up a bad rebound.  He was often out of position and overreacting to shots.  I was also dissapointed in the performance of Brooks Orpik, thought he had a really bad game... not suprisingly he took all last year off.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 09:48:54 PM »

Dear Atlanta Thrashers,

Please get Ilya Kovalchuk back on the ice.

Thank you.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 12:55:39 AM »

Ponch - Flyers being awful is to be expected! A nice, spring Flyers v. Devils matchup could be in the cards...

Ark - When it's all said and done, he may be the best goalie EVER

As for the Pens, I agree. From what I could tell, they seemed disjointed. Maybe they need more time to get used to each other, maybe they need LESS superstars or integrate the lines better. T-Bo looked a bit rusty too. Who knows? I still see them no lower than a 3 seed. They'll get it together.

Flipping around last night (nice to see the Bruins still suck!!) the guy that REALLY stood out was....Lindros! He was everywhere! Might be short lived but he was on fire!!!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 02:14:43 AM »

Hah Lindros.  Him and Leetch both just need to hang up the skates.  Getting way too old!

But then again, my favorite player is Steve Yzerman.  And the same can be said of him.  Ah well though.

Brodeur is really a fantastic netminder, I agree.

Just nice to see hockey back!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 01:19:32 PM »

-Devils jump out to a 2-0 lead I switch to the...
-Angels game when they take a 5-0 lead so I go back to the...
-Devils game and now they're LOSING 3-2 so I turn back to the...
-Angels game and now THEY'RE LOSING 6-5 so I turn back to the..
-Devils game and they continue to get smoked 5-2 so I go back to the..
-Angels game and they've come back to lead 7-6 and I stick with them until the end of the game.

Moral of this story?

Poncho sucks!

(Stupid Tittykaka goalie!)

biggrin

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 07:00:44 AM »

Holy crap, did anyone watch the Pens-Sabs game on OLN tonight?  Fast end-to-end action, great scoring chances, fantastic goalkeeping.  I can't wait for the Sharks homeopener on Wednesday.  Too bad I'm broke and don't have tickets. :cry:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 07:10:32 AM »

In order of oddities:
Sabres are 3-1 right now... if they keep this up, Ima shoot myself in suprise... if they make the playoffs, I wont be as suprised, but I dont think they'll do it... just off to a fast start, lol.

Ottowa is probably still the best team in the league.  If not... I dunno... but I still dont believe in the devils just yet, it's early kids.

I get CBC and ESPN, so I get PLENTY o hockey smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 08:22:16 AM »

Don't get OLN here, which is a shame.  Ah well though - the ESPN highlights/NHL Radio will have to suffice!

I'm kind of disappointed with the Pens so far.  They have a bunch of talent.  Though, I know they'll at least get it together and finish strong.

Detroit is 3-1, pretty nifty.

I love the shootouts.  Great rule change in my opinion.

Marek Svatos is a young player to watch.  He's quite a dynamic player for the Avs.  Also got a hat trick tonight.  Actually, I'm quite comfortable with the Avalanche now, being a Detroit fan.  The rivarly days with Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty seem so long ago.  I wouldn't even say they have much of a rivalry anymore . . . if anything, they have a greater rivalry with the Canucks due to Steve Moore and such.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 12:13:19 PM »

Honestly the Pens right now are making a lot of fundamental mistakes.  Bad breakout passes, not taking the right man in the defensive zone.  They aren't hustling for loose pucks.  Gonchar isn't Gonchar right now, Tarnstrom is playing like a man with a chip on his shoulder about arbitration and is pouting out on the ice.  It is going to take some time for chemistry etc... but the fundamentals should be taken care of NOW.  Way too many give aways in our own zone, poor clearing attempts, not protecting the crease etc.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 05:59:20 PM »

I'm glad Svatos is stepping it up, we need another scorer with Moneysberg gone.  I think the Pens will make the playoffs, they are going to put it together.  They have lost a couple close games and one where they scored 6 goals.  The defense needs to get things going and I think they will start winning some games.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 10:52:23 PM »

Let's hear it for the Thrashers!  Offensive explosion and their best player hasn't even hit the ice.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 11:42:12 PM »

Lemme add, does everyone else agree that the changes for the most part are for the better?

I think they should have banned the defnsive trap a long time ago.. anyway it is now kinda out the window-- ohh and no red line!!!  

Now, if the Kings can keep their goalies in check... and we can stay healthy, heck we look pretty good so far-- not much to play against yet but....

Man is it good to have hockey back.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 12:07:32 AM »

Most of the changes are good except for two:

1. I HATE the fact that the goalies cannot touch the puck in the corners. It's an idiotic rule to penalized goalies who are good at handling the puck. Why not let them play the corners and trigger breakouts?

2. The rule about shooting the puck over the glass makes no sense. You get a two minute penalty for firing the puck into the stands if it does not touch the boards/glass first. If the puck hits the boards/glass and then goes into the stands, it is not a penalty. That is a pointless rule.

I'll be going to the Sharks home opener wednesday night. Hopefully they will play better than they have in the first three games on the road. It's been like watching a live version of EA NHL hockey set to rookie skill level.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 12:10:54 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
It's been like watching a live version of EA NHL hockey set to rookie skill level.

LOL, that sounds horrofic.

TheMissingLink on PSN
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 12:18:57 AM »

Link, I agree with you 100% about the goalie puck handling... skills.

As for the puck over the glass-- well it was always like that for the goalies but now new to the other players-- obviously it is to prevent delay of game - which is what the penalty is called now- and the players are now very aware of it.  At 1:30 left to play in the last Kings game, one of the players tossed one  over and just as it went over, you saw the look in his face... a big OH SHIT........

I bet in a month we don't see the penalty anymore than we do when goalies do it.  I hope  slywink

Good luck to the Sharks.... every year they seem so close to just breaking out and kicking everyone's butt....
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 01:00:44 AM »

1. I HATE the fact that the goalies cannot touch the puck in the corners. It's an idiotic rule to penalized goalies who are good at handling the puck. Why not let them play the corners and trigger breakouts?

I agree!

Seems like all the rules are kinda anti-Devils, but they've already evolved. So no big deal.

I like the new rules for the most part so far, but I think it might be too much for defensemen to take. They are like CBs in football now. No touching!

Just going to be a rough transition for a while...

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 02:00:23 AM »

Most of the changes are good except for two:

2. The rule about shooting the puck over the glass makes no sense. You get a two minute penalty for firing the puck into the stands if it does not touch the boards/glass first. If the puck hits the boards/glass and then goes into the stands, it is not a penalty. That is a pointless rule.

I'll be going to the Sharks home opener wednesday night. Hopefully they will play better than they have in the first three games on the road. It's been like watching a live version of EA NHL hockey set to rookie skill level.

I say let the goaltenders play the puck in the corners but then they are free game when out of thier crease.

Puck over the glass - this was always the case for goaltenders, it now applies to any player in the defensive zone.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 02:33:21 AM »

I say let the goaltenders play the puck in the corners but then they are free game when out of thier crease.

YES!!! Done!!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 03:38:45 AM »

If the goal of the rule changes is to speed up the game, and teams have been intentionally firing the puck into the stands so they might get a line change/breather when on the penalty kill, it makes perfect sense.  The idea being that it's exponentially harder to intentionally hit the glass and still have the puck go out of bounds.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2005, 04:15:04 AM »

Thank god hockey's back, as a Canadian I felt one of my family members was kidnapped.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Thank god hockey's back, as a Canadian I felt one of my family members was kidnapped.

You dont' have to be Canadian to feel relieved, man!  My Sharks kicked the Blue Jacket's teeth in yesterday.  Can't wait to get the Blackhawks back in on Saturday to get revenge for that ass kicking they gave us a few nights back.

And I couldn't believe it when I turned to ESPN while waiting for the game to start and saw that they were showing Xtreme Bullriding.  Are you freaking kidding me?  You're going to tell me that Xtreme Bullriding is a better sport to show than the new look NHL?  I hope the bigwigs at ESPN are at least a little peeved now that hockey's transitioning into something that's almost as watchable on tv as it is at the rink.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005, 09:52:22 PM »

I was at the Sharks game last night. Columbus was turned into roadkill by the Sharks speed and Kyle MacLaren's cement butt. The Jackets had a real hard time keeping up and Marc Denis got NO help from his team on defense when the Sharks scored two goals that came off of fourth or fifth rebounds.

Even though I hate the delay of game penalty for firing the puck over the glass, Im liking the speed and offense of the new league.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 12:24:06 AM »

Cool!

Always thought McLaren was an underachiever in Boston. Hope he works out for you guys though!

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2005, 06:54:05 AM »

Okay, I don't know what this is all about but it's damn funny.

http://home.comcast.net/~stadiumpublishing/nhlacademy/index.html

Flannery O'Connor
depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 08:14:59 AM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
Okay, I don't know what this is all about but it's damn funny.

http://home.comcast.net/~stadiumpublishing/nhlacademy/index.html

Wow what the heck is this about?!  Nutty!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 01:52:23 PM »

I am *so* holding out for a robot monkey!

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2005, 09:17:39 PM »

Did anyone watch the Sharks/Blackhawks game yesterday?  The Hawks took more penalties than some teams do in a week.  They went shorthanded 11 times I think and went down 5-to-3 three times.  Too bad the Sharks powerplay is anemic right now or the score would've been double digits.

Flannery O'Connor
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 04:28:27 AM »

I was at the Sharks/Blackhawks game (season tickets, yeah!). Two things: the Hawks were coming in on the 2nd game of a back to back, so they were no doubt tired by the 3rd period, and they could not keep up with the Sharks team speed. The Hawks goalie, Anderson, also played a whale of a game. The Sharks would have scored several more goals if it were not for him.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2005, 08:24:22 AM »

So what were the changes made to hockey rules?

What do you guys think of the changes?

The last time I watched hokey was way back in high school, got free tickets to see the Mighty Ducks at the Pond.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 12:06:05 AM »

I've been to the last two Kings games and I have to say I love the new emphasis on actually calling penalties by the refs.  It cuts down on a lot of the chippy bullshit that happens on the ice.  The loss of the red line makes me happy too since it opens up the ice and creates some fairly exciting plays.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005, 12:32:39 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
What do you guys think of the changes?

Well, I know the purists don't like it, but since the NHL is clamping down on the fighting it might make some people happy.  I can't believe the number of people I run into whose number one reason for not watching hockey is that they believe it is a bunch of drunk thugs beating the shit out of each other (on ice).  Maybe this won't immediately win them over, but reversing that image can't hurt.  I can only assume more people are turned off by the fighting than will turn away because they don't do it as much.

Other than that, I like the new rules.  Certainly opens the ice up and leads to more uninterrupted two-way play.  And I love shootouts.  Now I don't have to spend $100 to watch nobody win.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: