http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the New Star Trek- now with impressions and spoilers!  (Read 32190 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 18, 2009, 01:42:42 AM »

just got back from the theater...fantastic movie in just about every regard.  while there may be a few plot holes if you care to analyze it that closely, the story was to put together well enough to make one hell of an entertaining movie.  couple a story that successfully reboots the franchise with actors who pulled off some really great interpretations of the classic characters (loved McCoy, Chekov, and Scottie), and i think they've actually come up with a good way of breathing some new life into a movie franchise that has been struggling for quite a while.  i really wasn't sure what to expect when i first saw previews for the new Star Trek, but i have to admit that my initial thoughts were that they looked to be completely ruining a classic series.  i'm glad to say now that my thoughts were totally unfounded.  i really think the new Star Trek is a great movie for fans, as well as people who have never taken an interest in the story before...just plain entertaining whether you liked any of the old stuff or not icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 18, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »

Almost as good the second time around. Even my 6 year old grandson liked it.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 18, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2009, 12:40:58 AM

weekend estimates are 43 million.  damn, I was hoping it would crush Angels and Demons but I guess Tom Hanks new hairdo helped carry the movie ahead by about 5 million.  this weekend brings out the big guns.

I heard that it's the most successful franchise reboot, beating out Batman Begins, Superman Returns and whatever else.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 18, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on May 18, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2009, 12:40:58 AM

weekend estimates are 43 million.  damn, I was hoping it would crush Angels and Demons but I guess Tom Hanks new hairdo helped carry the movie ahead by about 5 million.  this weekend brings out the big guns.

I heard that it's the most successful franchise reboot, beating out Batman Begins, Superman Returns and whatever else.

Hopefully it doesn't lead to the death of the franchise like Superman Returns seems to have done.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 18, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 18, 2009, 06:11:10 PM

Hopefully it doesn't lead to the death of the franchise like Superman Returns seems to have done.

The key difference between the two is Star Trek was an enjoyable movie.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: May 18, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 18, 2009, 08:03:34 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 18, 2009, 06:11:10 PM

The key difference between the two is Star Trek was an enjoyable movie.

Not to mention that the sequel won't have to deal with an illegitimate bastard half-breed son.

Well, maybe just the half-breed part... (Spock)

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 18, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »

I didn't realize so many people disliked Superman Returns.  I thought it was pretty good.  Wha' happen'?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 18, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on May 18, 2009, 08:31:49 PM

I didn't realize so many people disliked Superman Returns.  I thought it was pretty good.  Wha' happen'?

After the trailers made it look action packed it turned into a snooze fest. Luthor, while played well by Spacey, was a rehash if the Hackmans villain from the first film, superman junior, stalker Superman, he whole OKG he may be dead in what is supposed to be the start of a new franchise and Superman the speech giver are a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Heck, Superman 3 had more menacing moments in it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2009, 08:38:18 PM

After the trailers made it look action packed it turned into a snooze fest. Luthor, while played well by Spacey, was a rehash if the Hackmans villain from the first film, superman junior, stalker Superman, he whole OKG he may be dead in what is supposed to be the start of a new franchise and Superman the speech giver are a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Heck, Superman 3 had more menacing moments in it.

The big problem with making a Superman movie is that it is nearly impossible to find a "challenge" for Superman. "Oh no, there's Kryptonite nearby...again..."

Smallville at least recognizes this and has found an ok way to deal with it. Clark wont kill anybody, and always looks for a different way to find a solution. Unfortunately the last few seasons have used this as a crutch, with all of the secondary characters standing on the sidelines screaming "Kill him/her/it Clark!" and when he refuses they call him weak...until he finds a way to do it without killing he/she/it.

/derail

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 18, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »

I agree that Superman is a very limiting character because he's just too powerful and that Kryptonite is not a fun plot device.  I'm not looking forward to many more Superman movies, but I liked the first one a good bit.  Now I can't wait for the Supergirl reboot.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 18, 2009, 10:06:51 PM »

Green Lantern first - do we go with the yellow or wood? Either version could be killed with a No. 2 pencil.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:02 PM »

I didn't read this thread, because... well... it's goddamned long, and it seems like it gets too treky...

Anyway... I really don't like star trek.

I thought this was great.

That's all.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 19, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »

Going to see this tonight - been avoiding reading the whole thread due to spoilers - so excited!  nod

A new one
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 19, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »

I thought the movie rocked hard until the plane sequence was over, which was pretty much the first half hour or so. Afterwards, dud. All hail the Richard Donner version and for those of you who haven't seen the Donner cut of Superman II, you are seriously missing out. I watched it recently and literally threw away my other Superman II dvd. The Donner cut is the one for me henceforth. It is DRASTICALLY different in key areas and even if some of it is rough (they culled footage used in actor tryouts for example) the end result is soooo good.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 19, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 19, 2009, 03:35:04 PM

I watched it recently and literally threw away my other Superman II dvd. The Donner cut is the one for me henceforth. It is DRASTICALLY different in key areas and even if some of it is rough (they culled footage used in actor tryouts for example) the end result is soooo good.

did they at least leave in the saran wrap?

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 20, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 18, 2009, 09:18:26 PM

The big problem with making a Superman movie is that it is nearly impossible to find a "challenge" for Superman. "Oh no, there's Kryptonite nearby...again..."

Smallville at least recognizes this and has found an ok way to deal with it. Clark wont kill anybody, and always looks for a different way to find a solution. Unfortunately the last few seasons have used this as a crutch, with all of the secondary characters standing on the sidelines screaming "Kill him/her/it Clark!" and when he refuses they call him weak...until he finds a way to do it without killing he/she/it.

/derail

There are 75 years of SUPERMAN stories around, some of them quite good without the use of Kryptonite.  There ought to be one good movie in all that. If they REALLY wanted to do the first Superman movie (Pre-Crisis and Pre-Byrne) again (without doing that movie) they should try "Last Son of Krypton" by Elliot S! Maggin.  The not-quite novelization from 1978. http://www.adherents.com/lit/bk_Maggin_LastSon.html
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: May 20, 2009, 04:00:40 AM »

BACK ON TOPIC:

I was not excited to see this movie.

I went cuz I needed to get out.

OMFG I wanna go see it again. I'm no star trek fan (although I enjoyed TNG). I have watched a bit of each of the iterations; I have to say that they did this series justice and proves the JJ.Abrams is competent despite Cloverfield*cough**cough*BlairWitch:UrbanAssault*cough**cough*.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 20, 2009, 06:04:49 AM »

Saw it last night - and loved it!! Its light entertainment, but when has Startrek ever been anything but that? Sure, you could nitpick it, but I must admit, all in all, loved the movie - it was fun, actionfilled, had spaceships, aliens, Spock, vulcandeathgrip, the old crew, more spock and best of all, it oozed startrek atmosphere!

It really sets the path for either a series, or more movies. Personally, I'd love a series with this cast, although I fear it would be a letdown after one has seen this movie

A new one
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »

Take a picture of it and put the picture in a museum.  Can it take timed shots?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »

Quote from: Kev199 on May 20, 2009, 01:41:25 PM

huh?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 20, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 20, 2009, 01:47:05 PM

Quote from: Kev199 on May 20, 2009, 01:41:25 PM

huh?

if you have to ask then you don't need to know  Tongue

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 20, 2009, 11:44:57 PM »

Finally saw it.

HOME-FREAKIN'-RUN!

Blew.me.away.

SO much better than I thought it would be.

Go J.J. go!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »

Saw it tonight and loved it but there was too much "shakey cam" for me, made it hard to focus on the action.  I'm getting old I guess.  Oh and I hate (HATE) movies that have some sort of applause scene at the end (ok Star Wars (the original) gets a pass on that), it just looks hokey to me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 21, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 21, 2009, 09:37:24 AM

Oh and I hate (HATE) movies that have some sort of applause scene at the end (ok Star Wars (the original) gets a pass on that), it just looks hokey to me.

anytime I see a scene like that I have to resist the urge to let loose a Wookie roar.

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2009, 06:05:48 AM »

Saw it tonight and loved it but there was too much "shakey cam" for me, made it hard to focus on the action.  I'm getting old I guess.  Oh and I hate (HATE) movies that have some sort of applause scene at the end (ok Star Wars (the original) gets a pass on that), it just looks hokey to me.

Yeah, the shakey cam was one of my disappointments about this movie. Great movie, but just too much shakeycam. It becomes particularly jarring.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2009, 07:11:40 AM »

really?? I didnt notice any shakycam? Perhaps I've become part of the hip MTV generation then?  ninja

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2009, 07:11:40 AM

really?? I didnt notice any shakycam? Perhaps I've become part of the hip MTV generation then?  ninja

yes you have.  ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:11 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2009, 07:11:40 AM

Too much lens flare, yes, but I didn't feel like there was too much shakeycam.  I was in an IMAX theater with subwoofers under every seat, though, so maybe the butt vibrations cancelled it out.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »

I didn't notice any shakeycam either. Or perhaps it was because shakeycam was only used during the action sequences? And when there was only dialogue and no action there was definitely no shakeycam.

That's right, Paul "shakeycam during dialogue" Greengrass. I'm talking about you.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 22, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »

hmm, perhaps in the scene where they..eh, okay spoikes coming up

Spoiler for Hiden:
where they fly down towards the platform to disable it? And perhaps during the fight as well? Cant remember, but that was a damn exciting part of the movie, so I probably didnt notice if it was there, but it makes sense during the flightscene, to add to the rush, so to speak

A new one
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 22, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »

Maybe it's my background but I after seeing the movie the part that most makes no sense is why a Cadet straight out of Star Fleet Academy would get command of the Enterprise.  There aren't any other officers with experience around?  Kirk jumps all the ranks from ensign on to get command of the Enterprise straight out of the Academy....yeah right.

You also need to read the prequel graphic novel to have any idea how a miner came to have and command a single ship that is so powerful it can defeat the Klingon fleet.

It was also sort of jarring to see simplistic piping in the now hugeamongous engine room....They have a fancy valve so Scotty can be saved but good old fashioned valves everywhere else.

Also in this Enterprise there either is or is not an elevator off the bridge because in one scene there is, when Spock leaves and then in another the door opens and there is a deck with lots of people walking around.

Original series we have an older Kirk who had other assignments and served on other ships, Picard was older and had been around, Same with all the Star Trek Captains......except now we have a very young Kirk skipping all that seasoning and jumping  right to command.  Guess that will play well with the younger crowd.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 22, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »

No clue how it works, and not sure it matters, but - Isnt the point of starfleet academy to educate officers? And, due to all the rest of the fleet being somewhere else, its ONLY academy people thats aboard the enterprise, right? The captain said earlier that they needed what Kirk has, like his father, thus, the reason for giving him command.

Spoiler for Hiden:
spock is also fresh out of the academy, and is what, a commander? They are trained to be officers, all of them, so thats all there is to take from

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 22, 2009, 09:42:55 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spock is faculty in the new film.  He created the Kobayashi Maru test in the current film.  He was also a professor over Uhura in her classes.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 22, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 22, 2009, 09:42:55 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spock is faculty in the new film.  He created the Kobayashi Maru test in the current film.  He was also a professor over Uhura in her classes.

Spoiler for Hiden:
hmm, are you sure he is faculty? I mean, yes, I know he's been creating the Kobayashi Maru (yes, I spelled it after your spelling :-D) but I still thought it was just because he was brilliant

A new one
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: May 22, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2009, 10:32:56 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 22, 2009, 09:42:55 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
hmm, are you sure he is faculty? I mean, yes, I know he's been creating the Kobayashi Maru (yes, I spelled it after your spelling :-D) but I still thought it was just because he was brilliant

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spock is a year older than Kirk, and if he entered Starfleet Academy at 17, which is around the age of entry according to TNG, he would have entered in 2247, with graduation in 2251. The movie takes place in 2258. As one can hold rank while in the Academy (in the original universe, both Kirk and Saavik held the rank of Lt. JG while at the Academy, and Kirk taught lower level classes while still a cadet), it's very possible that Spock could graduate in 2251 and be a commander in 2258. He certainly was not a trainee.

Interestingly, Spock in the original universe didn't reach the rank of commander until early 2267, about halfway through Season 1 of TOS. Twice during that season, Spock's rank is read by the computer... the first time it is a lieutenant commander, the second time he is a full commander.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 23, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
At the end of the movie it would appear the "fleet" has returned judging by how packed the auditorium is.  The idea that command of the fleets flagship would be given to the equivalent of an ensign is absurd.  But is does fit very nicely with a current theme i see all the time in real life....I don't need experience i should be the boss right now.  I wonder what anyone over 25 does in this new Trek universe......or maybe this Trek universe has merged with the Logan's Run universe.

The only precedent that is even in the ball park is when they fired all the US sub commanders early in the WW II and replaced them with younger hungrier officers.......they did not however hand over command of any capitol ship to an ensign.

You did bring up another beef I have with the plot...Spock as an instructor is having an affair with a student.  Spock would never do that, ever.  But I guess they had to lay to groundwork for romance
warning

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:19 AM »

Saw it tonight and loved it.

I loved the "Fencing!" line and the red shirt was perfect.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2009, 03:51:40 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on May 22, 2009, 06:05:48 AM

Yeah, the shakey cam was one of my disappointments about this movie. Great movie, but just too much shakeycam. It becomes particularly jarring.

We just saw it today. I had two complaints: shakeycam made the action too hard to follow, and much of the music was over the top. Otherwise these two trekkers had a blast. Leaving aside any trouble with quibbles, this movie was firing on all cylinders.

The McCoy actor was channeling DeForest Kelly perfectly, the Spock actor meshed with Leonard Nimoy, and the Kirk actor knew better than to try to play Shatner playing Kirk. They even withheld Simon Pegg's scene-chewing Scotty until late in the movie. Good judgment all around.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 23, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »

Big thumbs up from my 74 year old mom, whom I took to see it today.  icon_smile She loved it, really got into it (cheering, clapping), said she loved it repeatedly. She knows TOS's characters just enough to be familiar. icon_smile

I had to convince her that Zachary Quinto is not really Leonard Nimoy's son, among other things...

The theater was still pretty packed, and there was still a pretty thunderous round of applause at the end (telling in a good way for a film that's been out for a while).  icon_cool

I'm not a big fan of shakey cam, claustrophobic hand-to-hand fighting scenes either, but it seems to just be considered a requirement today, along with hyperactively edited trailers with frantic music that seem to want you the viewer to have a seizure. I think film editors and directors in general today just need to take a freakin' sedative, but clearly I'm an old, out-of-touch, fart.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: May 23, 2009, 11:24:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 23, 2009, 11:13:31 PM

The theater was still pretty packed, and there was still a pretty thunderous round of applause at the end (telling in a good way for a film that's been out for a while).  icon_cool

Holy cow. That's amazing for a film that is this 'old'.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: