http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:41:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the New Star Trek- now with impressions and spoilers!  (Read 31889 times)
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »

I really enjoyed it. I went in with no expectations and tried to meet the film on its own terms, and felt that pretty much all elements were handled greatly, from the cast to the pacing and even the feel of it. All I ask is that now that this universe is established, beef up the plot itself for the next movie and get a more charismatic bad guy. I would be happy to see Klingons.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »

Just got home from this movie and absolutely loved it. As a long-time Trek fan, I can't imagine a better movie to re-launch the franchise. It suffered from some of the same issues that any "intro/origin" movie has to deal with - letting us know who the characters are, why we ought to care about them, etc., which can make it hard to have a really complex plot at the same time, but I thought Abrams handled it brilliantly. One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in ages and the best Trek movie in decades.

I just wish I had the time and money to go see it 3-4 more times.

Now I'm going to leave this thread before some tool comes in and kills my buzz with 50 reasons why it sucked.  biggrin

Formerly Sith Lord
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »

Wash. Post weekend has a little Q&A with Quinto (Spock). It's OK but you probably read most of his anecdotes in it elsewhere by now

New 'Trek' Star Is a Chip Off the Old Spock
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/07/AR2009050701459.html?hpid=topnews
Have you ever been so grateful for your eyebrows?

I've been talking about them a lot lately. I'm just glad they grew back.

Were you worried about that?

I was worried about it. I was receiving some conflicting reports from people. It certainly gives me pause. The only part of continuing with the franchise at all that gives me any amount of pause is the future of my eyebrows. So, I don't know. We'll see. I might have to get them insured.
icon_lol
I'm dying to see it but I might have to wait until about next Thursday.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »

Warning: I'm gonna rip this movie so if you're a Trekky fan and sensitive to negative criticism, you may want to skip my post  icon_wink

I saw this last night, I was never a Trek fan so I basically saw movie because Hollywood sold me on their summer blockbuster package. That being said, I thought the movie was average to below-average. The special effects were the highlight for me, I enjoyed the space scenes and the USS Enterprise itself was really cool inside and out. The cast/characters were weak, none of them stood out to me in any way and the comedy was cheap. I mean come on, they relied on some poor kid's accent to provide the comedic relief half the time. Somehow none of the scenes held any weight, I watched Kirk alternate between cracking jokes and proving he's intelligent, act like a douche in the presence of every female in his vicinity, and get his ass kicked by pretty much everyone he initiated a confrontation with. Spock (sp?) was a nerd version of Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber, and the supporting cast didn't contribute in any way except to make a lame attempt at making the audience laugh (which the audience didn't, most of the time).

The dialogue and character development simply wasn't there, perhaps this movie was geared at those who already know everything about the Trek universe but I couldn't make an emotional connection with any of the characters so many of the scenes were two dimensional to me. I'll rent this movie when it comes out on blu-ray because it's pretty and not the worst movie out there, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:14:25 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »

just remember folks, Ridah doesn't like anything.

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »

I skipped Ridah's thread as he suggested, but this movie was stuffed from start to finish full of Trek goodness. I honestly feel deeply sorry for anybody who didn't like it. They're missing a little part of their soul.  crybaby

Formerly Sith Lord
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »

Quote from: Sith Lord on May 08, 2009, 09:47:00 PM

I skipped Ridah's thread as he suggested, but this movie was stuffed from start to finish full of Trek goodness. I honestly feel deeply sorry for anybody who didn't like it. They're missing a little part of their soul.  crybaby

a part?  he has no soul.  you should see him try to dance.  If Shakespeare wrote a tragedy about dancing it would have Ridah as the star  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »

I'm very much a non-Trek fan.  In fact - thanks to an overly zealous and obnoxious Trekkie roommate - I developed a pretty severe distaste for all things Trek.  As such, I had completely ignored this film...up until it started getting such great reviews.  I'm was thinking about giving it a look, but after Ridah's impressions (which I'm guessing would closely mirror my own), I will probably save my one movie a year for "9" instead.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2009, 11:27:48 PM »

I am not a trekkie either and I thought the movie was amazing.  Loved it smile

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »

OK, I can finally read this thread smile

I really enjoyed the movie, although I would certainly agree that someone who is fan will get a lot more out of it than someone who is not. There is a lot of fanservice in there, but it was done in respectful and clever ways.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't read a lot about the movie beforehand, so I assumed it was a reboot or retelling or along those lines. I really don't generally like time travel/paradox stories, but I really appreciated the way Abrams knit this story into everything that came before it. Well done.

I did have some questions about the timeline, and I'm sure I can read up on the internet to find out if they messed anything up. For example, they make a great little reference to Archer and his beagle, but I kind of assumed that Archer would have been long gone before Kirk was born. Perhaps not, and the beagle might not have been Porthos but a descendant or other. Not a big deal even if they didn't get it right.

I thought the Spock/Uhura relationship came out of left field, but my wife and I thought that it was possible that the relationship might have ended long before TOS, or there are a number of ways the death of Kirk's father might have created minor changes in the ways things happened. Again, not a big deal.

The only things I didn't really like were 1) the whole swollen hands bit, which seemed really out of place and 2) Winona Ryder. Not that I have anything against Winona Ryder, it just seemed very odd that they took a relatively young actress and made her look older for a pretty small role as Spock's mother. It was distracting.

I was also surprised at the lack of Abrams-verse cameos. Not even Greg Grunberg? EDIT: according to IMDB, he was actually in it, but just his voice  icon_lol

In the end, I didn't really think the movie was as tightly paced as it could have been (in particular, Kirk's crash landing on the snow planet and subsequent encounter with the local wildlife felt a little odd, although it was an understandable means to an end) and maybe didn't feel as epic as I wanted it to be. I also wanted them to put in some of the movie/TNG music, but that's just nitpicky. Overall though, I did really enjoy it, and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Star Trek universe.

Oh, and btw the name for real fans is "Trekker" smile
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:18:59 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 09, 2009, 03:08:05 AM

Feh, I've been a Trekkie since before we were required to call ourselves Trekkers.

Formerly Sith Lord
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2009, 01:07:09 PM »

Fantastic movie. Tons of fun. That wtf look Kirk gave Spock and Urhura on the transporter platform was priceless...Kirk was every trek fan right then, I think. The fat hands thing was hilarious. They guy playing McCoy absoultely nailed the part.

All in all, a time fine time at the movies and it was damn good to the Enterprise in action again. My wife sat there after it was over and said, "Let's watch it again!" LOL

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »

Quote from: Sith Lord on May 09, 2009, 11:56:00 AM

Feh, I've been a Trekkie since before we were required to call ourselves Trekkers.

That's how I recall it; "trekkies" are TRUE fans... "trekkers" are TNG upstarts......     icon_lol
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2009, 01:44:11 PM »

Terrific movie.  Any chance they can get JJ Abrams to reboot the Star Wars franchise?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

I just got back from seeing it.  I went in expecting awesome and I got awesome times 50.  I liked the way they handled all the characters- I was worried about the age differences for a couple but they handled those perfectly, and the reason for Scotty's assignment was hilarious.  Hopefully now that all the setup is done we can get more time with the characters who got underused next time around.

11 stars out of 10  icon_twisted

ps.  what is it about green skinned women that make them hawt?

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2009, 11:23:23 PM »

Took the family to see this today.

Two  thumbsup from all who saw it, even my 9 year old who doesn't like Star Trek.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2009, 01:41:21 AM »

Excellent movie from someone who never saw the original series and is a borderline Trek fan.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2009, 05:41:23 AM »

Star Trek is back can't wait till the next movie loved Karl Urban nailed Bones McCoy.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2009, 05:55:54 AM »

I did have some questions about the timeline, and I'm sure I can read up on the internet to find out if they messed anything up. For example, they make a great little reference to Archer and his beagle, but I kind of assumed that Archer would have been long gone before Kirk was born. Perhaps not, and the beagle might not have been Porthos but a descendant or other. Not a big deal even if they didn't get it right.

I just figured it would have been a descendant, but remember McCoy himself appeared in the first Next Gen episode at the lively age of 137  icon_wink

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »

Saw this last night with the girlfriend and her parents, and we all enjoyed it. I really want to love this movie, but I just can't (at least yet). But I really, really, like it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I did love the way they were able to reboot the franchise without tossing away and ignoring everything that was done previously. And when Leonard Nimoy's part wasn't just a cheesy throw away cameo like I thought it would be, it was very integral to the story (and well done).

My two biggest complaints for the film was the lack of a really big space battle between the Enterprise and the Romulan ship, and the f***ing row of assholes sitting behind me at the theater. They start off on a bad note by talking all the way through the previews, but I can understand this. They were the loud types that liked to be heard, but you could tell were Trekkies and were really excited for the film. I was actually glad they were there, because I thought maybe it would make it feel like some of the midnight showings on Thursday. Unfortunately, I was wrong. They would scream at the screen, yell "YES!" just before one of the characters delivered one of their classic lines, and when Nimoy started his "space, the final frontier" speech, they all started screaming and repeating it line for line with him...except every one of them was at a different part of the text.  mad

Outside of that I really liked everything else. I find it funny that everyone is saying that the guy who played McCoy nailed his part. I walked away from the movie thinking he was the only one that didn't nail the part.  icon_biggrin All of the other actors seemed natural and I didn't really think of them as trying to recreate classic characters, but McCoy's just seemed forced to me.

While I'm not a huge Star Trek fan by any means, I did grow up watching TNG and Voyager, and really enjoyed both those series. Watching the new movie reminded me about how much I enjoyed watching those shows, and how I so far have pretty much liked everything Star Trek, even the recent movies which weren't that good. I came into this movie with probably unfair expectations. They didn't live up to what I wanted, but it was damn close. A big  thumbsup

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »

One word:

DAMN.

I loved that movie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2009, 05:14:26 PM »

see Gratch?  don't listen to Ridah..  he's wrong wrong wrongity WRONG  icon_lol

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2009, 08:42:11 PM »

I'm not a very big fan of Star Trek and was always a Star Wars guy who made fun of Trekkies.  I really enjoyed this movie and put it with Wrath of Kahn as the two ST movies I wouldn't mind watching again and again.

I'd definitely rather watch those two than Ep I-III slywink
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: May 10, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

Put me into the "Holy shit this movie absolutely ruled" category.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
meh
« Reply #224 on: May 10, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »

I wanted to like it, I really did. And I dig JJ Abrams stuff so much.

But, blah. So blah. I don't get the overwhelming positive reviews at all.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »

Excellent film and a great reboot to the series.........................but, my little quibble is with how Kirk went from Cadet, to Captain, in basically 2 days. That seems extremely far fetched but I guess was necessary for "movie reasons". Also, it seems this really messes up the universe of Star Trek in that now, this early in the timeline, there are NO Romulans and only 10,000 Vulcans? All of the great stories on TNG and DS9 that involved those two civilizations, are basically non-canon and don't really happen.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »

Quote from: jblank on May 10, 2009, 09:41:51 PM

Excellent film and a great reboot to the series.........................but, my little quibble is with how Kirk went from Cadet, to Captain, in basically 2 days. That seems extremely far fetched but I guess was necessary for "movie reasons". Also, it seems this really messes up the universe of Star Trek in that now, this early in the timeline, there are NO Romulans and only 10,000 Vulcans? All of the great stories on TNG and DS9 that involved those two civilizations, are basically non-canon and don't really happen.

there's still Romulans.  the Romulan homeworld thing didn't happen until about 150 years after Nero showed if I'm understanding the timeline right.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 10, 2009, 09:47:12 PM

Quote from: jblank on May 10, 2009, 09:41:51 PM

there's still Romulans.  the Romulan homeworld thing didn't happen until about 150 years after Nero showed if I'm understanding the timeline right.

That's correct. The supernova doesn't occur until many years in the future, and now could be prevented, given what they know. The issue regarding Vulcans does still apply. I am curious what they will do about the Klingons. Abrams has said that he didn't want to use Klingons as the enemy because they have been portrayed as friends of the Federation in too many tv series and movies and it would have felt odd.

I didn't mind Pike's assignment of Kirk to first officer as he obviously felt very strongly about Kirk's abilities. However, that Starfleet would extend the battlefield promotion past the crisis seemed a bit far-fetched.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »

Just got home from seeing it. Loved it. Was not what I was expecting at all. The story is not old Trek so that was a surprise. Totally different universe now sorta.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 10, 2009, 10:00:13 PM

I didn't mind Pike's assignment of Kirk to first officer as he obviously felt very strongly about Kirk's abilities. However, that Starfleet would extend the battlefield promotion past the crisis seemed a bit far-fetched.

you have to wonder how bad they were hurting for people.  It seemed like they shipped out most if not all of their seasoned cadets to go to Vulcan with the fleet that was around Earth, and out of all those ships only the Enterprise survived.  sure, they were going to meet up with the rest of the fleet, but they never gave solid numbers about how many ships were left.

plus:

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »

Anyone notice when they left spacedock to go to Vulcan Pike says esitmate 3 minutes to Vulcan? Seemed awfully fast. Then when they are travelling back Kirk had time to walk 14 miles, get to the outpost, figure out trans beaming tech and get back to the ship then turn around and get to earth not long after the Romulan ship?

EDIT: I also LOVE the sound..the BOOM...when they go to warp. Sweet. I was hoping to see more ship fighting..I mean a fleet come on..what a wasted chance.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:53:48 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2009, 10:55:07 PM »

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't they say that the rest of the fleet was at somewhere else? And wasn't this location where the Klingons lost like 40 some odd battleships when they went against Nero and lost? If so, then it seems that the Federation and Klingons are on friendly terms at least.

And as far as Kirk's promotion goes - Pike did make him First Officer. His orders would've held until they could at least contact Starfleet (remember that they had coms problems for a lot of the movie). I guess that not that many people get command experience in Starfleet training or something.

And since it seems that spoilers are up again (at least I see them under previous posts):

Spoiler for Hiden:
I absolutely love this use of time travel in this movie. While, yes, the concept is heavily overused, it turned out great for the film. I knew that Leonard Nemoy was in the movie, so him showing up wasn't a total surprise for me, but the reason why was just great.

Plus, because the timeline had been rewritten, it allows old Trekkie fans to remember the shows they grew up with, as they're still 'there' as far as Star Trek history goes. On the same line, J.J. did such a great job with this movie that he really let the characters be their own selves, while still giving plenty of homage to those that watched Trek forever.

Fun tidbits for those that watched the other shows:

- A Tribble is sitting on Scotty's desk when you first see him.
- Somewhere in the film they mention the captain from the TV show Enterprise and how he always had a beagle.
- Captain Pike (from the unaired Original Series pilot, later converted into a show).
- Bones mentioning Nurse Chapel.
- Still no seat belts in the ships. biggrin

I know there are others, but I don't know what/where offhand.

And Daehawk - if I remember right, Spock only told Sulu to go Warp 3. And Pike used 'maximum warp' when they first left for Vulcan.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 10, 2009, 10:55:07 PM

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't they say that the rest of the fleet was at somewhere else? And wasn't this location where the Klingons lost like 40 some odd battleships when they went against Nero and lost? If so, then it seems that the Federation and Klingons are on friendly terms at least.

the only reason they knew about that was because Uhura picked up a transmission (remember what she said to her green skinned roommate- mmm... green skinned hotness.....  what? oh yeah, uh, before she started to undress..... Uhura in her undies.... hotness....

huh?  oh, sorry, got sidetracked again...  Uhura intercepted a transmission about that, and it didn't happen over Vulcan.  I don't think they actually called up Starfleet to tell them they needed to see Uhura in her undies again about it.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 10, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »

And Daehawk - if I remember right, Spock only told Sulu to go Warp 3. And Pike used 'maximum warp' when they first left for Vulcan.

I remember Kirk heading to Earth and someone said warp 4 and I was thinking 4 is max? Seems slow. I mean TV Enterprise was a warp 5 ship.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: May 11, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 10, 2009, 11:14:54 PM

I remember Kirk heading to Earth and someone said warp 4 and I was thinking 4 is max? Seems slow. I mean TV Enterprise was a warp 5 ship.

They're just taking their time for reasons unknown I guess. When the Enterprise first jumps to warp (to Vulcan), there's a big idiot indicator on the top of the main viewscreen showing what warp speed they're going. I unfortunately didn't catch what it said when they jumped though.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 11, 2009, 01:57:51 AM »

I guess the reboot worked - the movie made almost twice as much in its first three days as the last movie did in its entire run, and it should become the highest grossing Trek movie of all time by next weekend.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2009, 02:17:42 AM »

Loved the movie and I really enjoyed the characters, but Kirk got his ass kicked ALOT!!   Anyway, great reboot for the series.  I expect a new TV series now...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 10, 2009, 10:55:07 PM

- Somewhere in the film they mention the captain from the TV show Enterprise and how he always had a beagle.

Specifically:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Scotty was assigned to the Federation outpost on Hoth because he tested his super interplanetary transporter theory on Admiral Archer's prize beagle.

The number of intervening years make it unlikely the pooch was Porthos, but in the original timeline McCoy lived long enough to tour the Enterprise-D with Data, so maybe the average lifespan for dogs in the future is like fifty years.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:24:50 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 11, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »

BTW did anyone else think the USS Kelvin was a kool ass ship? Well before its spectacular demise. I love that model of ship. Destroyer if Im not mistaken.

Kinda lame that a mining ship could best so many Federation main warships..even if it is from the future.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 11, 2009, 03:01:15 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 11, 2009, 01:57:51 AM

I guess the reboot worked - the movie made almost twice as much in its first three days as the last movie did in its entire run, and it should become the highest grossing Trek movie of all time by next weekend.

I'll be doing my part in making it so by seeing it again next weekend.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: