http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the New Star Trek- now with impressions and spoilers!  (Read 31859 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:15:02 AM »

plus a whole lotta new ones just released!

I gotta say I like what I see  nod
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:09:54 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »

Wow Urban looks like McCoy. Didn't think it would work.

Kirk is too tall.

Uhura is a fox.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:07:06 AM »

Okay, fill me in... what the heck are you talking about?  A new TV series, a movie, what?

I am so out of the loop, lol - but Star Trek remains one of my favorite series/ movies, so plz give some details so I can catch up!

Thanx, very much...  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:09:31 AM »

It's a new Star Trek film being directed (or produced?) by JJ Abrams.  Not sure where it's set, but it's supposed to be the original crew fresh out of Starfleet academy.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »

Thanks, Turtle - I totally missed this!

I really think Star Trek will never die... it was such a ground-breaking show at it's inception, I believe that it will continue, in some form or other, for a very long time.  Let's hope this movie does it justice.

Star Trek, Live Long and Prosper!   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:30:14 AM »

just wait until the next re-vamp-

STAR TREK: THE NEXT G's!

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:18 AM »

In looking at the picture of the main crew, I'm not blown away.  BUT - they could have done a whole lot worse.

And I agree on Urban.  They did a bang up job with him it seems.  Impressive. 

I hope the movie kicks major ass.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:26:13 PM »

I simply cannot wait for this film!  I love the new crew.  And you guys should see Zachary Quinto as Spock.  My god did he nail the Spock look perfectly.  I'm going to be a young boy on Christmas morning next May when this film is released.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »

Entertainment Weekly also has a cover story -- it's online now and I should get the print issue Friday-Saturday at home:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502,00.html

On page 4 is a *SPOILER* warning so keep that in mind if you check out the link.

It has a few photos, not sure if it's the same batch as Aint It Cool, or different. I have an easier time envisioning Pine as Shatner/Kirk now. Amazing what a little hair styling can do.  icon_razz

I hope Trekkie fans (I consider myself one) realize if the movie doesn't have any appeal beyond Us, then it's going to be a $150 million failure (getting that big a budget really ups the stakes). If it doesn't broaden the appeal, then it will have Failed Its Mission.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:00:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 16, 2008, 12:26:13 PM

I simply cannot wait for this film!  I love the new crew.  And you guys should see Zachary Quinto as Spock.  My god did he nail the Spock look perfectly.  I'm going to be a young boy on Christmas morning next May when this film is released.

looks like he's about to cut that guys head open.. er... I mean do a mind meld  icon_lol

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »

the only person i (only just)recognise from the first picture is Simon Pegg as Scotty(which from that picture doesnt look like any,LOL..at the back in the dark red)

didnt know Sylar was in it,he does look the part

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »

Let me preface by saying that I am a huge fan and very much looking forward to the movie....and no one was more disappointed in Enterprise- I so wanted it to be awesome.

But, is it just me or these photos make the show look like some teen-angst-ridden CW version of One Tree Hill in space or some such show?  I hope I am wrong but I see those photos and I can't help feel a sense of doom.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »

Quote from: walTer on October 16, 2008, 05:55:36 PM

But, is it just me or these photos make the show look like some teen-angst-ridden CW version of One Tree Hill in space or some such show?  I hope I am wrong but I see those photos and I can't help feel a sense of doom.

I don't feel any sense of doom but my first impression was exactly what you said.  I thought it was a new Star Trek Academy show, not the movie.  I think the thing is that little cutie boy on the far left and the hot young Uhura are what caught my eye first, and it immediately made me think of 90210/CW/One Tree Hill lol.

That later picture of Spocklar has not instilled any more faith in me either, his expression is exactly the same as Sylar.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 06:42:47 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 16, 2008, 06:38:08 PM

That later picture of Spocklar has not instilled any more faith in me either, his expression is exactly the same as Sylar.

Bah...Syler took his cues from Spock!!  slywink

Other than Kirk being a bit of a 'pretty' boy...I think they did a great job at casting.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »

Let me preface by saying that I am a huge fan and very much looking forward to the movie....and no one was more disappointed in Enterprise- I so wanted it to be awesome.

Yep, that's what I feel.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 16, 2008, 06:49:31 PM

Yep, that's what I feel.

I agree. And while I'm a huge Trek fan (well, short of Enterprise which was a joke and the last few movies that were only so-so), so I'll give this movie a chance, frankly it worries me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 07:30:12 PM »

It's a small detail, but I do like the texture on the uniforms now.

Anyone notice that's a big thing in these updates and also in superhero comic movies?  To help update the uniforms they're always given some kind of texture, often hexagonal textures to improve their look on screen, especially with all the HD filming.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »

Man, Pine really looks like Adrian Grenier (Entourage) with a different haircut.  Which I don't think is necessarilly a good thing.  But I like pretty much everything else their showing so I'm definitely looking forward to it.  
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 16, 2008, 06:38:08 PM

Yeah, he does have the exact same look on his face as Sylar.  Spock never looked that angry or intense - you know, except for the times when he got infected by a virus or there was some other premise (mind meld, lol) to allow him to be mad, sad, happy, etc.  I'm still looking forward to seeing Quinto in the new movie, I just hope he isn't merely Sylar in a space suit. icon_confused 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 10:55:48 PM »

I don't think he's going to be Spocklar.  Leonard Nimoy likes him, and Nimoy is very careful with how Spock is handled.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »

Come on guys (and girl) have some faith.  I believe this is going to be the rebirth of Star Trek.  And everything I've been reading on trekweb.com about Quinto and Spock and the movie in general points towards nothing to worry about.

The first full length trailer is going to be attached to the new Bond film in November.

XM Channel 76
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 12:21:37 AM »

I am looking forward to it - but I'm also a little concerned.  The set may be an attempt at trying to make it look not-like Enterprise.

Although it's full tilt sci-fi cheese, I am happy to see that little go-go skirt too.

Funny seeing Kirk and McCoy in their poses like that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 03:53:21 AM »

you can almost hear Kirk saying

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 06:33:01 AM »

From reading the EW article, it doesn't sound that that will be the case at all.

Abrams says he was also drawn to the project because he believed in and wanted to evangelize Trek's unabashed idealism. ''I think a movie that shows people of various races working together and surviving hundreds of years from now is not a bad message to put out right now,'' says Abrams, whose infectiously upbeat energy and disdain for cynicism are among his most marked attributes...That ethos may seem cornball to an America darkened by a decade's worth of catastrophe, but after an election season that has seen both presidential nominees run on ''hope'' and ''change,'' Star Trek just may find itself on the leading wave of a zeitgeist shift away from bleak, brooding blockbusters and toward the light.

I really hope so.  I'm beyond tired of all these dark, depressing movies and TV shows.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 02:37:53 PM »

Some new shots:
Kirk:

Spock:

Bones:

Sulu:

XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »

impressive.  now only if they had stuck to their December release  crybaby

Because I can,
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2008, 02:47:09 PM

impressive.  now only if they had stuck to their December release  crybaby

I hear you.  Would have made a great film to see this holiday.  The same thing happened with the latest Harry Potter film.  Moved to Summer 09 when it should have opened in next month.

XM Channel 76
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »

I never got into Star Trek.  Certainly not the TV show, although as a kid I remember watching some of the films at least once.  But because so many other franchises have had such successful reboots I'm a little intrigued by the new Star Trek.  If reviews are positive I may give it a try. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »

Quote from: Unagi on October 17, 2008, 12:21:37 AM

I am looking forward to it - but I'm also a little concerned.  The set may be an attempt at trying to make it look not-like Enterprise.

Although it's full tilt sci-fi cheese, I am happy to see that little go-go skirt too.

seeing them with upto date top of the range equipment around them may make me NOT buy into this..Star Trek was always known for me as using dodgy looking computers and what have you

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 17, 2008, 04:43:33 PM

I never got into Star Trek.  Certainly not the TV show, although as a kid I remember watching some of the films at least once.  But because so many other franchises have had such successful reboots I'm a little intrigued by the new Star Trek.  If reviews are positive I may give it a try. 

I was just about to post this very same thing. Tell me, how long have you been reading my thoughts exactly?  eek
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 07:12:41 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 17, 2008, 06:05:16 PM

seeing them with upto date top of the range equipment around them may make me NOT buy into this..Star Trek was always known for me as using dodgy looking computers and what have you

Dodgy looking computers?  For the original Trek, sure (probably a limitation of budget/60s tech?).  For later Treks?  I'm not so sure that applies.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 08:17:14 PM »

So, one question - does the TV show Enterprise 'exist' as far as canon goes? Here's to hoping it doesn't, and they're just going back to the old-school Trek show.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »

Actually, it does.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 10:07:19 PM »

What is the new release date for this?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 10:56:42 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 17, 2008, 07:12:41 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 17, 2008, 06:05:16 PM

Dodgy looking computers?  For the original Trek, sure (probably a limitation of budget/60s tech?).  For later Treks?  I'm not so sure that applies.

thats just it,the original was dodgy looking,next gen and generations looked better,now this is meant to be set before them all,and we have pretty much hologramatic dashboards everywhere,they could at least make it look less cool and shiney...it looks like it set 1000 years AFTER all the star treks

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »

Well it is supposed to be a 'reboot' of the franchise isn't it? Think of the updates to the Battlestar Galactica show. (Aside from the Starbuck choice...)

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 12:43:19 AM »

they'd better have Spocks Viewmaster!

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 07:01:11 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on October 17, 2008, 10:07:19 PM

May 8, '09... rather precise for something 8 months away, and that had been scheduled for holiday release, but that's what they seem to be saying now.

I saw several other pics of Quinto as Spock (including in this thread) - without his Sylar look - and he really looked perfect.  Now I can't wait, I'll see it regardless of reviews. I grew up with the original Trek tv series, before we understood that Shatner's great acting was, indeed, over-acting, lol.  I hadn't even heard of this movie a few days ago, and now I can't wait! 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on October 18, 2008, 07:01:11 AM

I grew up with the original Trek tv series, before we understood that Shatner's great acting was, indeed, over-acting, lol.  I hadn't even heard of this movie a few days ago, and now I can't wait! 

I read somewhere they said they were making this one for fans of movies, not Star Trek, which could be interesting.

oh wait, found it (spoilers on the page but there's a warning before hand:

Abrams made his perspective clear: ''We weren't making a movie for fans of Star Trek,'' he said. ''We were making a movie for fans of movies.'' From there, the team hashed out the specifics.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on October 18, 2008, 07:01:11 AM

Quote from: Kagath on October 17, 2008, 10:07:19 PM

May 8, '09... rather precise for something 8 months away, and that had been scheduled for holiday release, but that's what they seem to be saying now.

Hell, Iron Man 2 already has it's 2010 release date nailed down.  That's normal for movies.  Plus, Star Trek wasn't delayed from the holiday release because it needed more time- it was purely a marketing decision on Paramount's part.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: