http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 07:05:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Mummy movie is...maybe not so good  (Read 3234 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

Frasier:  NOW you've done it!  You're about to get a stern talking to, Mr. Imhotep!  I will administer such a tongue lashing... 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 09:18:04 PM »

cue stage: In walks Frasiers dad with his old service revolver, and shoots Imhotep

Frasiers dad: Leave my boys alone, mommy!

Cue end credits

A new one
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »

You guys sure got a lot of mileage out of an extra i... icon_lol
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »

I've seen the trailer about 100 times in the last month in front of movies and on TV commercials. Studios only blitz their commercials when the product is shit (see: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer).
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

Quote from: noun on July 31, 2008, 09:27:55 PM

I've seen the trailer about 100 times in the last month in front of movies and on TV commercials. Studios only blitz their commercials when the product is shit (see: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer).

I've seen far more Batman commercials than Mummy ones - it's quite false to suggest only shit movies get blitzed.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 03:17:59 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 31, 2008, 07:00:03 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on July 31, 2008, 06:41:11 PM

"Look man, you're good looking, you've got a decent physique and a great personality...

Perhaps there's a more deep seated reason for your hatred for the man?  Hmmm?

Fraser needs some sun. The dude could have been cast in Nightmare before Christmas, or one of the ghosts in Matrix II: The downward spiral.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »

It's now at 13% Rotten with 60 reviews: 52 rotten, 8 fresh. Anyone who goes to see this is practically throwing their money down a hole, I'm afraid.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »

... or it's the "in" thing to bash. I'd put forward that Ebert tends to enjoy films, and with me he has a ~80% hit ratio.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 01, 2008, 02:29:02 PM

... or it's the "in" thing to bash. I'd put forward that Ebert tends to enjoy films, and with me he has a ~80% hit ratio.

yeah, i tend to look at ebert's reviews before anyone else.  as someone mentioned somewhere else, he reviews films in the spirit in which their made, instead of trying to hold everything up to citizen kane standards.

but i'll probably still just rent this one.  too many movies coming out over the next few months.   icon_smile

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2008, 12:30:55 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 01, 2008, 02:29:02 PM

By the time I saw it yesterday, the Tomato Meter had it at 9%.  Honestly I don't know why it got torched so badly, it was pretty much 100% exactly what I expected based on the previews.  A fun, mindless romp mixing eastern and western mythology and some (sometimes poor) humor and some decent special effects.  I don't remember much of the first 2 movies, but I guess they had a "deeper" more epic storyline, and of course Rachel Weisz is so much better than Maria Bello.  FYI, this one has definitely moved completely away from the Imhotep mummy-based adventure.  Other than that, I'm not sure what the expectation was, but it seems to me it's just getting bashed for the sake of bashing.  And like X-Files, I think following too closely behind Dark Knight is again a detriment; in X-Files case it was a bit too serious/heavy handed, and in Mummy's case, probably too light-hearted.  Just as X should have come in the winter, I think Mummy would have been much better received in a spring/March type release.

Now granted I'm a bit biased because I'm Chinese and any time you throw in Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh in the mix, I'm just happy to see them on screen.  There's also a new young Chinese actress I wasn't familiar with playing Yeoh's daughter who was pretty cute.  On a side note, I watched the recent DVD release of "Tai Chi Master" featuring Jet Li and Michelle the night before, and while they both are clearly younger, they sure don't seem to have aged much in the last 15 years.  Anyway, I enjoyed seeing Michelle in particular and thought she did a decent job with the material she was given.  Plus she still looks cool in a fight and she had some nice outfits that added nicely to the visual element inthe martial arts sequences.  Sorry another diversion, I just had to mention how many times I saw wires in the Tai Chi Master movie mentioned above lol.

Couple of other notes: I don't know why there's so much nitpicking on the son's age.  Brendan Fraser looks like he could be in his early 40s (it feels like forever since I saw him as that frozen caveman) and the son is pretty cute-ish, looks like he could be in his early 20s.  Certainly if you bought Sean Connery as Harrison Ford's dad, it shouldn't be that much of a deterrent.  I did find it interesting that Brendan had a gratuitous shirtless scene (looking damn fine I might add) but the son did not.  Odd.

Anyway, if you've seen the previews, you pretty much know what you're going to get.  The entire "story" is pretty much summarized in the trailer.  If it looked fun to you and you aren't too picky, you'll probably have a good time at this movie.  If it looked annoying, well, don't bother then.  For what it's worth, my 11yo niece claimed she liked the movie more than Wall-E and I even heard some audience applause at the end of the movie.  My personal favorite line in the film: "you speak Yeti?"
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2008, 03:33:13 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 05, 2008, 12:30:55 AM

Couple of other notes: I don't know why there's so much nitpicking on the son's age.  Brendan Fraser looks like he could be in his early 40s (it feels like forever since I saw him as that frozen caveman)
+

Brendan Fraser is 39 in reality, so the age thing seems like a weird issue for people to bring up.  I guess they don't think of him being that old. 

Anyway, box office numbers suggest that Rotten Tomatoes be damned this time around.  A $40m US take isn't bad at all and the movie has already made about $100m if you look at worldwide numbers.  People who think this spells the end of the franchise are probably going to be disappointed.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2008, 01:48:07 PM »

Quote from: noun on July 31, 2008, 09:27:55 PM

The wife and I DVRed the recent SciFi marathon of Eureka: Season 2 and catching up on it as time allows. Each episode has at least two commercials for what I have now dubbed "Mummy 3: Asian Mummy Time!" Each time I notice the commercial as we fast-forward through, I must proclaim "Hey! Asian Mummy Time!" It drives my wife nuts.  icon_twisted

Quote from: Sarkus on August 05, 2008, 03:33:13 AM

Anyway, box office numbers suggest that Rotten Tomatoes be damned this time around.  A $40m US take isn't bad at all and the movie has already made about $100m if you look at worldwide numbers.  People who think this spells the end of the franchise are probably going to be disappointed.

Depends on the second week drop. Anything more than the typical 50% summer drop could still spell the end of the franchise in any major (read: theatrical release) way.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:50:36 PM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 05, 2008, 01:48:07 PM

Depends on the second week drop. Anything more than the typical 50% summer drop could still spell the end of the franchise in any major (read: theatrical release) way.

you got to love direct to DVD.  even the horror that was The Scorpion KIng even got a direct to DVD sequel very recently.  Still plan on seing M3 though, just not sure when I can make it to a theater again in the next couple of weeks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »

Saw the movie on Tuesday. It was exactly what I thought it would be: Pure cheese, but fun. Only cost me $4 to see it, and I got my money and time's worth. Weisz missing was the biggest detriment to the movie really, otherwise, it was similar to the first two.

Quote from: spigot on July 31, 2008, 02:22:29 PM

This just looked bad from the get-go. Way to milk a franchise. What's next? Peruvian mummies? Zombie mummies from outer space?

Spoiler for Hiden:
spigot's comment about Peruvian mummies is actually very funny given the very final scene in the movie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 02:00:56 AM »

saw it today.  aside from the theater's projector having trouble keeping the top half of the screen in focus all the time the movie was pretty fun.  I would have loved to see a longer fight between Yeoh and Li, and Maria Bello's replacing Rachel Weisz was a bit jarring (although I did chuckle at the joke they made about the change), but otherwise it was a good summertime distraction.

They're talking about the Mummy 4 too (spoilers).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: