http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 11:57:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: The closest option below to how I feel about the new broadcast team of TIRICO, THEISMANN & KORNHEISER is...
1. Theismann is a moron, plain and simple.  My 9 year old daughter could make more intelligent comments than he does.  Kornheiser fails so miserably at being funny, he is actually painful to listen to; and Tirico can't control that booth to save his ass
2. I think option 1 is way too kind.  Put everyone out of their misery and take them all out back and shoot them in the head.  Every Monday night the trainwreck actually gets worse!
3. I think they are ok.
4. I never thought I'd say this, but for the love of God, bring back Michaels and Madden!  These three are so bad, I have to turn the sound down during the game!
5. Monday Night Football?  What network is that on again?
6. Actually, I think they are pretty darn good.  (Yes, I realize if I choose this option, I am admitting to everyone I am a total moron, but hey, my opinion is as valid as yours!)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Monday Night Football Broadcast Team  (Read 2265 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2006, 11:59:57 AM »

So - after enduring a bad MNF loss by my Steelers, as well as the outright painful experience of listening to Theismann and Kornheiser again last night, I wanted to know how everyone felt about this "team" of announcers.

Let 'er rip!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 12:22:38 PM »

Joe T. Heisman is best taking in small doses and Kornheiser is failing in his attempt to be humorous. Tony, if I wanted comedy, I would watch comedy. Despite being in the chair formerly occupied by Dennis Miller, that does not mean you need to be a comedian.

I say dump them both and bring Dick Vermeil and Ron Jaworski up from their "B" team.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

LOVE Mr. Tony on PTI.

They are 2 games into the season. Settle down.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »

I like him on PTI also.

This is not PTI.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »

I've always liked Turico and think he's very solid.  Kornheiser is OK - not too good, not too bad.  I absolutely can't stand Theismann, and have a very hard time listening to any game he is calling.  His nasally whine drives me nuts.

So far, I'd give the team as a whole a C+ grade.  Get rid of Joe, that would go up to a B+.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »

These guys are awful.  The Dennis Miller experiment went better than this train wreck.  Theismann is, and always has been, a overbearing blow-hard who won't shut up...and is made worse by is inane and often incorrect observations.

Kornheiser is just plain bad.  He's not funny and comes across like a whiny old man whose ham sandwhich has mustard instead of mayo.  Ok, that's a bizarre comparison, but go to any Deli in FL and you'll see what I mean.  He's a better writer than announcer. 

Turico is fine, but he's overwhelmed by the other two.

As for bringing up Jaws, you can't.  The Eagles don't play every MNF game, so he'd have nothing to talk about.    Tongue

Can we raise Howard Cosell from the dead?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 19, 2006, 12:24:00 PM

LOVE Mr. Tony on PTI.

They are 2 games into the season. Settle down.

Uh Devil, first impressions mean a lot, particularly on TV. I don't need to give them 16 games to figure out that I don't like 2 of the members of the crew, especially when Theismann has been around for what 10+ years on ESPN?

Kornheiser is fine on PTI and thats where they should have left him.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 19, 2006, 12:44:13 PM

These guys are awful.  The Dennis Miller experiment went better than this train wreck.  Theismann is, and always has been, a overbearing blow-hard who won't shut up...and is made worse by is inane and often incorrect observations.

Kornheiser is just plain bad.  He's not funny and comes across like a whiny old man whose ham sandwhich has mustard instead of mayo.  Ok, that's a bizarre comparison, but go to any Deli in FL and you'll see what I mean.  He's a better writer than announcer. 

As for bringing up Jaws, you can't.  The Eagles don't play every MNF game, so he'd have nothing to talk about.    Tongue

Did you not watch the "B" game last week between the Chargers & Raiders? Jaworski did a fine job on there with Nessler and Vermeil and I enjoyed that entire crews performance.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:19:47 PM »

Overall I see more commentators saying things that are simply not true and contradicting themselves at every turn. One example this weekend was when they stated how great  Steve "Air" McNair was and how he slid right into the offense because he made a few good pass plays, and then minutes later when he started to struggle they were saying how he needs time to "gel" with the offense.  saywhat

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 01:21:54 PM »

Lets see... the intro of the football cyborg city thing was horrendous.  The MNF song, with all the other "stars" was horrible.  The announcing, was atrocious.  I made it through the first quarter before turning it off in disgust.  The production of MNF overall was just pitiful.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 01:44:51 PM »

Dr. Z always rips the MNF and Sunday night crews on CNNSI.  I agree with him as well.  He also liked the Monday night 'B' Crew.  Jaworski is great.  I always really like Esiason as well.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 02:09:54 PM »

On a side note, how long has it been since there was a really good MNF game?  Even games that look good on paper have turned out to be complete duds on MNF.  The first game last week wasn't bad, but most of last year's matchups were a complete disaster, and both the OAK-SD & JAX-PIT game were dreadfully boring.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:57:29 PM »

"I think I can safely say... Big Ben IS BACK!"

two players later

"Big Ben was not nearly as good as he was last year"

"What, didn't you just say two players ago 'Big Ben is back'?"

Not sure who is who... but it was bad. Very bad.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 03:01:53 PM »

Er, I liked Michaels and Madden.  Al Michaels is one of the best broadcasters in sports and Madden just cracks me up in a senile Grandpa kind of way.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 03:28:01 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 19, 2006, 12:45:35 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on September 19, 2006, 12:44:13 PM

Did you not watch the "B" game last week between the Chargers & Raiders? Jaworski did a fine job on there with Nessler and Vermeil and I enjoyed that entire crews performance.

Ditto, they actually had insight stuff to say and Vermeil had a nice blend of experience and humor.

About the MNF team, I think they're okay.  I rate them below Michaels & Madden (who I actually really enjoy), and waaaay higher than any crew CBS can throw at us.  I think they're okay. 

That said, I really think that with some time they'll get better.  And I don't get all the Theismann hate.  If every guy said the most correct thing ever time and didn't have these sometimes outlandish comments, it would be one helluva boring broadcast.  I think the three bring a somewhat unexpected dynamic, to be honest.  And Kornheiser's doing okay.

TheMissingLink on PSN
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 04:32:27 PM »

All I can say about this is that Kevin Harlan needs to call more prominent NFL games.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »

I thought Dick Vermeil did a great job as being the "third" person on the team.

Plus - low scoring or not - last night's game was awesome.  AWESOME.  I <3 my Jaguars!  GRAAAWWWLLL!  First we're blanking Pittsburgh, next we'll be winning the Super Bowl!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 06:49:34 PM »

Dr. Z always rips the MNF and Sunday night crews on CNNSI.

Dr. Z's Super Bowl: Carolina over Miami

The Z must be for the snoring when he's sleeping instead of watching the games.

OUT!

Maybe I just don't care enough.

If it's not Keith Jackson, Vin Scully or Mike Emerick on the good side or whoever does the Sabres and Caps games on the bad side, I don't really care.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 07:15:41 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 19, 2006, 06:42:35 PM

Plus - low scoring or not - last night's game was awesome.  AWESOME.  I <3 my Jaguars!  GRAAAWWWLLL!  First we're blanking Pittsburgh, next we'll be winning the Super Bowl!

Ya'll keep playing like that, and you'll deserve to win it all.  The Steelers are rarely manhandled, but the Jags outslugged Pittsburgh last night.  It was a great performance against a great team.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 07:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 19, 2006, 07:15:41 PM

Quote from: depward on September 19, 2006, 06:42:35 PM

Ya'll keep playing like that, and you'll deserve to win it all.  The Steelers are rarely manhandled, but the Jags outslugged Pittsburgh last night.  It was a great performance against a great team.

So true.

And, if you heard Cowher's press conference after the game, he pretty much said the same thing. 

No excuses, no complaints, no whining. 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:25:17 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 19, 2006, 12:34:07 PM

I like him on PTI also.

This is not PTI.

Amen!  I like him and his Candian brand of humor on PTI, but his jokes on MNF fall so flat I am embarrased for him.

Mike Tirico is decent, but I liked him better calling college games.  Might be because I like college a lot more, but there seems to be a lot less ass-kissing by announcers calling the college game.

I love Jaws.  More Jaws!  If I never heard Theisman's voice again I don't think I'd even notice.  I used to like Madden in that "senile grandpa" way, but it's just so awful now that it just makes me sad.  I am really hating the deal NBC got from the NFL.  But at least I get the NFL Network so I don't have to put up with it until kickoff.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 11:01:17 PM »

I see Theisman as a necessary evil.  If it wasn't for him that show would be dead in the water.  At least he adds something (although it may be something no one wants).   Tony K, he's great on PTI and I wish he'd bring that character to this show.  Sometimes it feels like he's trying but mostly I get the impression that he's trying to do something different for MNF, maybe to avoid appearing like a one trick pony.  Either way, he needs to get more aggressive to counteract Theisman.

The play by play guy is good enough but then I think ANYONE can do play by play.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 12:39:27 PM »

One thing that Monday Night Football has had a problem with the last 7 years or so, is that they forget the star of the show is the game, not Dennis Miller, not Tony Kornheiser, not Hank WIlliams, not Terrell Owens and Edie from Desperate Housewives, not John Madden, and DEFINITELY not Joe T. Heismann. They don't ALWAYS have to be saying something, ya know what I mean? Just talking to keep 5 seconds of silence from coming through, is not necessary, sometimes the silence is good. I don't need flashy elaborate intros, just give me the game, presented in a semi-serious manner, with an adequate amount of discussion, play-by-play, and analysis. The other stuff is just fluff to me, but maybe in planning rooms in New York City, they think I am the minority. Who knows, maybe I am.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 01:19:16 PM »

Dr. Z's Super Bowl: Carolina over Miami

The Z must be for the snoring when he's sleeping instead of watching the games.

OUT!
This from the guy who predicted the Colts to go 8-8 last year.  Please...

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 01:25:59 PM »

Yeah - I was off on the Colts last year.

I may not be able to tell you who will win it all, but I can tell you who won't: Indy.

Besides, I'm not being paid for my NFL predictions and I'm MUCH closer to reality than Dr.Z.

Throw me his money and resources and we'll see where we come out.

I'll remind you: Dolphins v Panthers

At least he didn't go with the Colts but that is even worse.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 01:34:23 PM »

I don't really like any of them.  At all.  I would much rather listen to Michaels and Madden.  Also, I cant stand how they have to bring a celebrity into the booth every game now.  These celebrities usually don't know shit about football and I couldn't care less what movie they are currently filming.  It is annoying and takes away from the football.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 03:18:48 PM »

Throw me his money and resources and we'll see where we come out.

I'll remind you: Dolphins v Panthers

At least he didn't go with the Colts but that is even worse.
Ehh, I'll take the Panthers too.  Quite a few others picked them as well.  I remember a certain minor devil picking them to do well too smile.

The Dolphins, ehh, whatever.  He's a sports writer, suppposed to take guesses every now and then.   I'll take him over the me-too guys on ESPN that have taken the Colts every year for the past six years.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »

Panthers are the mini-Colts.

Every year they are picked to be there from the NFC, but they are not part of the Holy Trinity (Colts, Giants and Falcons)

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 10:12:02 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 20, 2006, 07:08:11 PM

Every year they are picked to be there from the NFC, but they are not part of the Holy Trinity (Colts, Giants and Falcons)

Why would you pick ANY of those teams?  Hell, I live in Atlanta and whenever they win my friends and I just blink in amazement every Sunday and exclaim, "Wow, they didn't find a way to blow that one."

Colts, like the Iggles are just natural born chokers.  They are the Braves of the NFL.  The Giants.  They are the Giants, but last year I would have said, "The Steelers.  They are the Steelers."  As for the Atlanta Falcons.  They are an Atlanta team and therefore can never be champion of anything.  The Braves winning the World Series in 1995 caused Pluto to be de-planetized among other things.  The effects are still rippling through the fabric of our universe.

If I have to pick one of those three I'll take my chances on the Giants. icon_frown

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 12:50:09 PM »

I'm not calling them The Trinity because they are good, but because the national media LOVES them.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 02:18:40 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 21, 2006, 12:50:09 PM

I'm not calling them The Trinity because they are good, but because the national media LOVES them.

What about the Panthers?  It's ALWAYS the Panthers!

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 02:32:56 AM »

Is Theisman for real?  Can anyone be as stupid as he is?  How in the hell did this guy run an offense at a professional level?  He made one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard tonight.  Vick side-stepped a defensive lineman that was coming at him full speed and threw a 4 yard touch pass, touch, not touchdown pass.  After the play Theisman said, "Michael Vick is the ONLY quarterback in the NFL that could make that play."  Really Joe?  I've seen almost every QB in the league make that play... even white QBs.  It isn't that impressive to side-step a defensive player that is coming at you full speed.  God.

Also, Kornholer just stated that the Saints are the worlds second favorite team.  Fuck, yeah Katrina was bad and all but this shit has gone over the fucking line tonight.  I think Kornholer said it best after the Saints blocked the punt and scored their first td, "You couldnt have written a better script."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:42:52 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 01:11:31 PM »

I watched last night and found nothing offensive or shocking. They suck, but everyone sucks.

Look - I was at a Pats game a few years ago against Buffalo when Bledsoe was on the Bills. They give the audio feed of the TV broadcast in the bathroom at the stadium, so I was taking a leak and hear Phil Simms tell me that "Drew Bledsoe is the greatest drop-back passer in the history of the NFL." At this point in the game, Drew had thrown 4 picks. I think someone should have asked Phil if THE SECOND BEST drop-back passer in the history of the NFL would have thrown 6 or maybe 8 INTs in that game?

They all come in with scripts and stick to them. Usually not smart enough to adapt to what is actually happening.

Last night the goals of the broadcast were love of New Orleans and (as usual) love of Vick.
That's the script. Stick to it!

By next week we will all know what the announcers will be talking about before the game even starts. Forget the game itself, it's almost irrelevant.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 05:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 26, 2006, 01:11:31 PM

I watched last night and found nothing offensive or shocking. They suck, but everyone sucks.

Look - I was at a Pats game a few years ago against Buffalo when Bledsoe was on the Bills. They give the audio feed of the TV broadcast in the bathroom at the stadium, so I was taking a leak and hear Phil Simms tell me that "Drew Bledsoe is the greatest drop-back passer in the history of the NFL." At this point in the game, Drew had thrown 4 picks. I think someone should have asked Phil if THE SECOND BEST drop-back passer in the history of the NFL would have thrown 6 or maybe 8 INTs in that game?

They all come in with scripts and stick to them. Usually not smart enough to adapt to what is actually happening.

Last night the goals of the broadcast were love of New Orleans and (as usual) love of Vick.
That's the script. Stick to it!

By next week we will all know what the announcers will be talking about before the game even starts. Forget the game itself, it's almost irrelevant.

Maybe we should guess the script for next week's game.

Does Favre still have it in him?
Will Favre retire even if he plays well this season?
Is McNabb really back?
Does anyone really care about this game?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 11:43:40 PM »

The announcers script was not the script I was referring to  icon_wink

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 11:50:18 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on September 26, 2006, 11:43:40 PM

The announcers script was not the script I was referring to  icon_wink

smoke

I knew what you meant.  Looks as if that story you wrote for creative writing may be some sort of prophecy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 02:02:30 AM »

I knew what you meant, but it got me thinking of the script that they had.

There will be lots of what Graham said next Monday.

McNabb and Favre.

AND...

The week after, Philly plays Dallas. We all know how much ESPN loves their TO!

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 04:36:28 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 27, 2006, 02:02:30 AM

I knew what you meant, but it got me thinking of the script that they had.

There will be lots of what Graham said next Monday.

McNabb and Favre.

AND...

The week after, Philly plays Dallas. We all know how much ESPN loves their TO!

I'm one of the biggest Favre fans you will ever meet and even I tire of the way they talk about him.  Yes, we know, he had a phenomenal career and isnt off to a bad start this season, but seriously, the way they talk about him is borderline homosexual.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 02:35:32 AM »

OK - I've been watching ESPN from 8:00 to half time and here's my list of Worst to Best:

Stewart Scott - Couldn't possibly be worse

Michael Irvin - A joke

Berman - A cartoon. Far worse than Madden at this point

Tom Jackson - I've never heard a guy so wrong and yet so confident about it

Theiseman - In love with himself

Mr Tony - A bit out of his element but not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be

Steve Young - Hardly speaks

Terico - Solid

So to recap, 3 of the top 4 guys involved with football tonight are in the booth. It could be MUCH worse!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 11:08:51 AM »

You're out of your mind.  Kornheiser is an embarrassment.  Every single solitary time he opens his mouth to attempt to be funny, he makes me cringe.  Over half the time he speaks, Terico flat ignores him.  He's fast becoming a sad joke.  Theismann is borderline asshat.  Although, to his credit, he actually did make a few comments last night that at least made sense, which is a g-i-a-n-t step in the right direction, but he's still a moron.

I agree Berman has crossed over to near-bufoon status now though.  But at least he and Irvin finish their sentences most of the time, unlike for example, an unnamed ex-Bear/ex-Saint coach.

LD

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: