http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:16:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Doctor Who and his companion start this weekend.  (Read 8230 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 24, 2010, 12:17:48 PM

but they can levitate. Or is that only in the new version?

It was actually introduced in the classic series in its last Dalek story "Remembrance of the Daleks" (7th Doctor).

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 24, 2010, 01:17:24 PM

It was actually introduced in the classic series in its last Dalek story "Remembrance of the Daleks" (7th Doctor).

you, sir, are now the owner of this thread.   icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 24, 2010, 02:29:42 PM

Heh. While there are more obsessed fans than me, it has been my favorite show for around 30 years. smile

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2010, 04:49:20 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 24, 2010, 03:18:23 AM

here is a Dr Who themed pic to get us back on track icon_wink

attempt number 2  Tongue

the olde Daleks couldn't fly.  IIRC they even tried getting away from them using stairs the first time they showed up in the new series and were unpleasantly surprised.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2010, 08:21:13 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 24, 2010, 02:52:20 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 24, 2010, 02:29:42 PM

Heh. While there are more obsessed fans than me, it has been my favorite show for around 30 years. smile

my friend, that was a compliment, not an insult!   icon_wink

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2010, 03:17:55 AM »

Tonight's episode (in the UK), Time of Angels was SUPERB. Can't wait for the 2nd part next week.

-John

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2010, 09:54:36 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 25, 2010, 03:17:55 AM

Tonight's episode (in the UK), Time of Angels was SUPERB. Can't wait for the 2nd part next week.
Awesome episode.  We weren't expecting a two-parter and caught us by surprise when it ended.  This one had some great writing and genuinely creepy moments. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »

The US episode (for those not pirating slywink ) was not bad. I started a bit slow but the story got more interesting as it went along. The Doctor had an anti-human outburst I don't think we'd heard the likes of since Eccleston.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2010, 12:59:57 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 26, 2010, 12:14:34 AM

The US episode (for those not pirating slywink ) was not bad. I started a bit slow but the story got more interesting as it went along. The Doctor had an anti-human outburst I don't think we'd heard the likes of since Eccleston.

why can you guys not see it on BBC iPlayer,or is it blocked like MSNBC videos are for me?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s8dwd/Doctor_Who_Series_5_The_Time_of_Angels/

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 26, 2010, 12:59:57 AM

why can you guys not see it on BBC iPlayer,or is it blocked like MSNBC videos are for me?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s8dwd/Doctor_Who_Series_5_The_Time_of_Angels/

Correct, it is blocked (although I didn't know about that feature).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 26, 2010, 01:09:29 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 26, 2010, 12:59:57 AM

Correct, it is blocked (although I didn't know about that feature).

ahh,okay

i had it on last night but wasn't paying attention that much(first time an episode of Dr Who has been on a TV i have owned since the Sylvester McCoy days)..some of what i saw looked cool..while other parts made me roll my eyes up,like the old days icon_lol

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2010, 03:00:15 AM »

Good lord, was the acting for the human/aliens for the Slitheen in "Aliens of London", "World War Three" jarring.  Fart jokes?  Really?

At least following that up with "Dalek" was able to show how good things can really be.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 28, 2010, 03:00:15 AM

Good lord, was the acting for the human/aliens for the Slitheen in "Aliens of London", "World War Three" jarring.  Fart jokes?  Really?

I hope we never see the Slitheen again.  that's one race that can safely disappear forever.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2010, 12:10:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 28, 2010, 04:49:58 AM

Good lord, was the acting for the human/aliens for the Slitheen in "Aliens of London", "World War Three" jarring.  Fart jokes?  Really?

I hope we never see the Slitheen again.  that's one race that can safely disappear forever.

[nerd]it's a family, not a race. They are Raxicoricofallipitorians (something like that). [/nerd]

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »

At least following that up with "Dalek" was able to show how good things can really be.

Yeah AoL/WWIII is an infamous one. It was apparently huge with the UK kids who saw it, but the farting plus the ridiculous pig man (sadly not the only pig man in the new Doctor Who) really put me off it in a big way. I don't really know anyone who likes that one.

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 28, 2010, 12:13:57 PM

Yeah AoL/WWIII is an infamous one. It was apparently huge with the UK kids who saw it, but the farting plus the ridiculous pig man (sadly not the only pig man in the new Doctor Who) really put me off it in a big way. I don't really know anyone who likes that one.

that explains why they were big in the Sara Jane Chronicles, since they were targeted at kids IIRC.

Because I can,
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2010, 02:27:01 AM »

This Saturdays episode statesside (victory of the daleks) was the worst episide of doctor who I think I've ever seen. So much of it made no sense.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2010, 02:32:35 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on May 03, 2010, 02:27:01 AM

This Saturdays episode statesside (victory of the daleks) was the worst episide of doctor who I think I've ever seen. So much of it made no sense.

Actually IMO it wasn't anything more than a massive prequel for (probable) dalek episode span later in the season.  It wasn't bad but the next two episodes are much, much (much) better.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2010, 02:54:37 AM »

What hurts most is the premise of Victory of the Daleks had so much potential.  People who saw the previews drooled on their remotes.  Then we get a mess that ends with the question "Did you ever fancy someone you shouldn't?" used to defuse a bomb.

I look forward to the promise of more Daleks, but hope they'll be much better used when they return.

And I agree, the next two episodes are a marked improvement.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2010, 03:02:21 AM »

The Dalek episode was such a clear reboot.  It was all just a way to get a new shinny Dalek model out and have them escape.  I suppose it had to happen if they want to have them around more but it was just clearly just a filler to explain why they are around when Morraft wants to use them in the future.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »

Yeah, I agree, the episode was very weak. WWII fighters in space? WTF?

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2010, 03:47:48 AM »

The bomb defusing was probably the worst of it, but it lacked a certain something. Most Doctor Who adventures have a sense of fun, a sense of urgency to the situation, and you always feel like the explanations are plausible when they get out of situations, even when it comes down to technobabble. This episode was pretty flat - I didn't get the sense of urgency like from other episodes.

The threat was stupid (Germans are coming because all the lights are on - apparently no one in London knows how to unplug a lightbulb --- oh noes! The switch doesn't work! --- and apparently the Germans can't figure out where London's at when it's dark out); It was so bad, the writers needed to add a second threat that also made no sense. A better threat would have been the old inferior Daleks that were incinerated -- a habit of bad guys I've never liked. Having lackeys can be useful -- send those Daleks to London and have them blow stuff up. Send down one of the new Daleks so you can see what they can do because every new more powerful generation just seems exactly the same!!! Doctor pursues, the other new Daleks get away, bad stuff happens. And more of the supporting cast can have something to do.

Additionally, this was another forced foreshadowing episode. Amy didn't see the other planets or never heard anyone talk about that? You'd think it'd be something people would talk about once and a while. Where were you when JFK was shot? On Sept 11th? That day we all got enslaved by robots from outer space and there were other planets in the sky?  And then - oh look. It's the crack to the prison world where prisoner zero escaped.

I loved the first episode, liked the second one (it was a good building point. You could really respect Amelia for her compassion for the star whale), but this episode was awful.  
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on May 03, 2010, 03:47:48 AM

Additionally, this was another forced foreshadowing episode. Amy didn't see the other planets or never heard anyone talk about that? You'd think it'd be something people would talk about once and a while. Where were you when JFK was shot? On Sept 11th? That day we all got enslaved by robots from outer space and there were other planets in the sky?  And then - oh look. It's the crack to the prison world where prisoner zero escaped.

I didn't have a problem with that part. The point was that Amy couldn't remember the Daleks, as if history had changed. At first, you didn't know if it was due to something that Churchill did, but at the end it is clear it has something to do with the cracks. There was one in the whale ship as well. I don't think they go to the prison - that was just one of the cracks. They are just this season's "Bad Wolf", etc.

The bomb was definitely the worst part. I would have preferred if The Doctor just turned it off with the sonic screwdriver. What actually happened made no sense at all.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2010, 12:53:43 AM »

yeah, I think Amy not remembering is a hint at something bigger.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2010, 04:11:57 PM »

I didn't like the bomb defusing part either. And, I am not overly wild about the new look Daleks (they look cheap to me). But, I enjoyed the rest of that episode. Watching the Daleks serve tea, etc was quite a hoot. I also thought the guy playing Churchill was great.

The next 2 eps coming up in the US are just terrific.

-John

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »

I will give Amy's outfit outstanding marks  ninja

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »

how far behind are you guys?...i had another episode with those creepy Angels again this week

reminded me of playing What Time is it,Mr wolf? at school

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 21, 2010, 09:05:46 PM

I liked Eccleston's Doctor, but his character would occasionally express his superiority in a way that could offend you - not that Eccleston has anything to do with it, but his character was written with a very bi-polar view of humans. He would often talk about how great humans were, much like Tennant's Doctor, but, for example, in the episode where Rose tries to change her father's timeline, he says something like, "I did it again, I chose another stupid ape!" That's a very harsh thing to say and it makes you wince a bit. Tennant's Doctor never went to that extreme. Even though he would often talk about how clever he was, he never insulted humans to that degree.

There was some jealousy in Chris's character with Harkness which added a different depth. I enjoyed them both equally, but for very different reasons. Tennant was ... likeable - he came across as a brilliant child with wonder in his eyes, whereas Chris's doctor had that same charm, but muted in a more mature fashion.

One of the first episodes with David was where he lost his hand, and that's where he stated he didn't have the compassion. One chance was all he was willing to give. He almost died in the Atmos episode to kill the attackers; the same thing happened with the Christmas star.

To contrast, Eccleson announced "Everybody Lives! Just this one time, everybody gets to live!" as a relief from his recent past (Time wars). He was fantastic in that episode - I'd have to say that was one of my favorite ones (IIRC it was the WWII ep. with "Are you my Mummy" ... that whole phrase with the gasmasks freaked my GF out all the time.. icon_twisted it has not been forgotten. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »

I've finished re-watching the reboot seasons 1-4, and am now on the "New Doctor" episode, with Waters of Mars, etc.... before I get to the first 5 eps of the new season.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 04, 2010, 06:25:58 PM

(IIRC it was the WWII ep. with "Are you my Mummy" ... that whole phrase with the gasmasks freaked my GF out all the time.. icon_twisted it has not been forgotten. smile

That showed up again in the ATMOS episode when Tennant puts on a gas mask. That was a fun little reference.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 04, 2010, 06:25:34 PM

how far behind are you guys?...i had another episode with those creepy Angels again this week

I didn't really like that story arc.

Spoiler for Hiden:
  It seemed sloppy.  Tennant's doctor stopped them by forcing them into a position in which they were forced to look at each other for all eternity (or until the maid moved them).  In this story, they're walking around looking at each other all over the place without any such concern. 

The story didn't add anything to them, either.  I would've enjoyed a deeper look into what they are, as opposed to making them the Aliens from a James Cameron film. 

Moffat (who I think is a much more talented writer) appears to be taking his queue from the Die Hard films when it comes to action scenes lately.  The doctor, when faced with an enemy, utters some grandiose statement about how much of a bad ass he is and then pulls an ace out of his sleeve.  While I have no problem with the latter, the former should be used sparingly or it gets to be cliche very quickly.

And call me old fashioned, but I like my doctor to be asexual.  The current trend of pairing him up with hot chicks who fall for him is getting old.  That's why I grew to like Donna Noble so much.  The show become about the adventure and less about the lovelorn soap opera it could descend into.  However, if I'm not mistaken, Molly's infatuation may prove to be artificial, if the closing moments of last week's episode are any indication. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 04, 2010, 09:13:48 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 04, 2010, 06:25:34 PM

I didn't really like that story arc.

Spoiler for Hiden:
  It seemed sloppy.  Tennant's doctor stopped them by forcing them into a position in which they were forced to look at each other for all eternity (or until the maid moved them).  In this story, they're walking around looking at each other all over the place without any such concern. 

The story didn't add anything to them, either.  I would've enjoyed a deeper look into what they are, as opposed to making them the Aliens from a James Cameron film. 

Moffat (who I think is a much more talented writer) appears to be taking his queue from the Die Hard films when it comes to action scenes lately.  The doctor, when faced with an enemy, utters some grandiose statement about how much of a bad ass he is and then pulls an ace out of his sleeve.  While I have no problem with the latter, the former should be used sparingly or it gets to be cliche very quickly.

And call me old fashioned, but I like my doctor to be asexual.  The current trend of pairing him up with hot chicks who fall for him is getting old.  That's why I grew to like Donna Noble so much.  The show become about the adventure and less about the lovelorn soap opera it could descend into.  However, if I'm not mistaken, Molly's infatuation may prove to be artificial, if the closing moments of last week's episode are any indication. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
i was quite surprised at the ending with Amy(i thought she was under a spell or something),but i haven't seen anything of any of the new doctors,so i presumed they gave him some sex appeal,unlike the doctors i grew up with

anyway,next week,..Vampires in Venice,or so it seems

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2010, 09:29:14 PM »

argh, why do i keep wanting to call her molly??? 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2010, 12:49:10 AM »

just watched part 2 of the Angel episodes.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Amy, macking on the Doc!  icon_lol

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2010, 03:23:56 AM »

Anyone know if there's going to be a marathan running I can catch up on? Haven't seen any of the new season frown.
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »

It just so happens that there will be a marathon this coming weekend.  Saturday the 29th.

Comcast has BBC America in On Demand.  Might actually be a better way to see it, I don't think they are cut like the broadcast episodes are.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:33:16 PM by Hamsterball_Z » Logged

(HBZ)
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Hamsterball_Z on May 24, 2010, 03:29:52 PM

It just so happens that there will be a marathon this coming weekend.  Saturday the 29th.

Comcast has BBC America in On Demand.  Might actually be a better way to see it, I don't think they are cut like the broadcast episodes are.

From the current series the only one you have to worry about being edited is the first, The 11th Hour. it is only getting a 60 minute slot in the marathon and that means it's butchered pretty badly. All of the other episodes are short enough to fit without editing.

-John

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »

While I still think Matt Smith makes a fine doctor (even if he overdoes the weird Rain Man mannerisms a bit), I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of the stories.  Moffat, as I've stated before, is my favorite Who writer so maybe my expectations were too high, but I've only enjoyed a couple of the stories so far.  And I've found the whole Amy/Dr./dorkmeister love triangle grating.  

The only bright spot for me is that I did catch this past weekend's show (torrent version) and it was much better than I was hoping it would be.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2010, 03:05:10 AM »

no comments on the latest one?
I enjoyed it and was also pretty surprised at the ending... didn't see it coming......
I am mixed about next week.... Can't wait to see it again, but sad that the series is ending....
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2010, 03:28:41 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 24, 2010, 06:02:51 PM

While I still think Matt Smith makes a fine doctor (even if he overdoes the weird Rain Man mannerisms a bit), I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of the stories.  Moffat, as I've stated before, is my favorite Who writer so maybe my expectations were too high, but I've only enjoyed a couple of the stories so far.  And I've found the whole Amy/Dr./dorkmeister love triangle grating.  

The only bright spot for me is that I did catch this past weekend's show (torrent version) and it was much better than I was hoping it would be.

Yeah, exactly. I've stopped watching. I just don't get the sense from him that he's travelled a lot. He doesn't evoke that aura.  I still see him as a young guy trying to be the Doctor instead of just being the Doctor. Moffat's a favourite to many, and I liked many of the stories when he was writing them during Davies' run, but to me I don't think he's a great showrunner.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: