http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Doctor Who and his companion start this weekend.  (Read 8417 times)
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »

BBC America is having a Dr Who  marathon today, so I started watching.  (it was either this or Bigfoot in Oklahoma on Travel Channel).           I'm starting to get into it. 

Best lines so far-
"Who are you?"
 "I'm the Doctor."
 " I asked your name, not your rank." 
 "Just the Doctor."
 "So, it's your name and  psychological condition?"
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 02:32:57 AM »

Well, I don't really know what to think of this episode yet. It was an odd one.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 02:37:52 AM »

I actually rewatched 11th Hour tonight. I just love it. I like it more with each repeat viewing.

As to quotes, one of my favorite DW quotes from The Waters of Mars:

Adelaide (pointing a gun at the Doctor): State your name, rank, and intention.

Doctor: The Doctor, Doctor, Fun.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 05:53:28 AM »

'Hello, I'm the Doctor. Basically... run.'

AWESOME.

and the new companion is totally HAWT.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 02:20:30 PM »

I thought it was a really entertaining and funny (the kitchen scene was great), and at times, touching.

I didn't realize (and learned from watching the special they showed before the episode) that Russell Davies was leaving the show. Steven Moffat seems to be just as much a Doctor Who geek, though, and I've loved all the episodes he wrote during the previous seasons, particularly "Blink". (As an aside, I can't believe Carey Mulligan played Sally Sparrow - she looks like a little boy now).

And yes, Amy Pond is distractingly cute.

BTW, I am curious to see to what degree they leave everything from the previous 4 seasons behind. Tennant's final episode really ties up what happens with all of those characters. It is clear that we will be finding out who Alex Kingston's character is, and the weeping angels will be back, and not coincidentally, those episodes were written by Steven Moffat. I imagine they will find some way to bring the Daleks and Cybermen back (even though they all seem to have been completely destroyed), but Rose/Mickey/Martha/Donna/Grandpa - it seems their stories are over.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:43:04 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 19, 2010, 02:20:30 PM

I thought it was a really entertaining and funny (the kitchen scene was great), and at times, touching.

I didn't realize (and learned from watching the special they showed before the episode) that Russell Davies was leaving the show. David Moffat seems to be just as much a Doctor Who geek, though, and I've loved all the episodes he wrote during the previous seasons, particularly "Blink". (As an aside, I can't believe Carey Mulligan played Sally Sparrow - she looks like a little boy now).

And yes, Amy Pond is distractingly cute.

BTW, I am curious to see to what degree they leave everything from the previous 4 seasons behind. Tennant's final episode really ties up what happens with all of those characters. It is clear that we will be finding out who Alex Kingston's character is, and the weeping angels will be back, and not coincidentally, those episodes were written by David Moffat. I imagine they will find some way to bring the Daleks and Cybermen back (even though they all seem to have been completely destroyed), but Rose/Mickey/Martha/Donna/Grandpa - it seems their stories are over.

Finished the third episode...you'll understand more about the Daleks after that one.  Alex Kingston and the weeping angels are back in the fourth episode and it looks awesome.  Third episode wasn't bad but I'm really looking forward to the fourth one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »

I imagine they will find some way to bring the Daleks and Cybermen back (even though they all seem to have been completely destroyed)

they always come back; I think in the last 4 series each one of them has been thought to have been wiped out at least 2 different times.

Because I can,
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »

It did feel like they moved into a new era for the show

- New Doctor
- New opening credits
- New companion
- New visual style (the special effects seemed ramped up a bit - and there were a few more camera gimmicks like the scene with the cell phone)
- Same old Doctor Who feel I've loved these past four years.

That said - I loved The 11th Hour. It didn't take me long to accept Matt Smith as the new Doctor. It really shows that the 'regeneration' episode is a great chance for a new doctor to prove himself. Thrust into a particularly tough role where he needs to convince the audience that yes, he is still the doctor ---- and he nailed it.

I didn't like...

Spoiler for Hiden:
the omnious claptrap that prisoner zero was spewing at the doctor at the end. I realize they're introducing the season's story arc, but to me it felt very heavy handed. It was more fun when it was more subtle like the kind of awkward but nifty 'bad wolf' revelation, or the Harry Saxon / You are not alone revelation. Even 'he will knock four times' was fun. Cute little clues that build the mythology but don't really take you out of the episode.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 19, 2010, 04:57:23 PM

I imagine they will find some way to bring the Daleks and Cybermen back (even though they all seem to have been completely destroyed)

they always come back; I think in the last 4 series each one of them has been thought to have been wiped out at least 2 different times.

Yeah, actually it probably won't be hard to explain the Daleks coming back (and I am just speculating here), since the Cybermen fell out of the void into 19th century London, something similar could happen with the Daleks. Because IIRC, the group that the Doctor fought at the end of season 4 was a brand new group generated from the DNA of that one guy. As for the Cybermen, maybe they fell out all over the place. It doesn't really matter, they've never needed much of an explanation for anything to get to be able to tell the story they want to tell. smile

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »

David Moffat seems to be just as much a Doctor Who geek, though, and I've loved all the episodes he wrote during the previous seasons, particularly "Blink". (As an aside, I can't believe Carey Mulligan played Sally Sparrow - she looks like a little boy now).

I think you mean Steven Moffat, yes? I'm just saying, cause I loved his work on Coupling - probably my favorite BBS show.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »

Quote from: raydude on April 19, 2010, 05:35:16 PM

David Moffat seems to be just as much a Doctor Who geek, though, and I've loved all the episodes he wrote during the previous seasons, particularly "Blink". (As an aside, I can't believe Carey Mulligan played Sally Sparrow - she looks like a little boy now).

I think you mean Steven Moffat, yes? I'm just saying, cause I loved his work on Coupling - probably my favorite BBS show.

Um, well, his friends call him David.  ninja  icon_redface

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »

Quote from: raydude on April 19, 2010, 05:35:16 PM

Oh, you use to dial in and download the episodes? Ah ha! Got you back! slywink

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2010, 05:50:56 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 19, 2010, 05:44:57 PM

Oh, you use to dial in and download the episodes? Ah ha! Got you back! slywink

Haha! I knew that looked wrong for some reason smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 19, 2010, 05:03:59 PM

Yeah, actually it probably won't be hard to explain the Daleks coming back (and I am just speculating here), since the Cybermen fell out of the void into 19th century London, something similar could happen with the Daleks. Because IIRC, the group that the Doctor fought at the end of season 4 was a brand new group generated from the DNA of that one guy. As for the Cybermen, maybe they fell out all over the place. It doesn't really matter, they've never needed much of an explanation for anything to get to be able to tell the story they want to tell. smile

Well, Dr Who without Daleks would be like Star Trek without Klingons. You just know they'll be back.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 19, 2010, 06:15:36 PM

Well, Dr Who without Daleks would be like Star Trek without Klingons. You just know they'll be back.

So you are saying that the Doctor will be friendly with the Daleks in the future? slywink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 06:30:14 PM »

I want to see more of Doctor Who's daughter.

A LOT more.  unibrow

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 19, 2010, 06:30:14 PM

A LOT more.  unibrow

Agreed. They really set her up for a spin-off show. Well, except for the fact that she travels around in a regular old rocket shuttle and doesn't have a time machine.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »

The doctors daughter and amy pond sitting in a tree....

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 19, 2010, 06:35:11 PM

Quote from: Purge on April 19, 2010, 06:30:14 PM

A LOT more.  unibrow

Agreed. They really set her up for a spin-off show. Well, except for the fact that she travels around in a regular old rocket shuttle and doesn't have a time machine.

Who knows (ooo, the pun) ... perhaps the Tardis will have a hatchling.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2010, 11:24:02 PM »

It seems like the only person from the first 4 series who might be back is Captain Jack. Moffatt has specifically mentioned that he wouldn't mind the 11th Doctor meeting him (though I don't think it happens this season).

As to the Doctor's "daughter", there was a rumor at the time that episode aired, that Moffatt specifically requested that she not be killed off. The belief being that he wanted to bring her back at some point. I have no idea whether or not that's total bunk. There was also a rumor that the actress who played her and David Tennant were an item. That would be interesting the Doctor dating his daughter. And, if that's not weird enough for you, the actress who played the Doctor's daughter is Georgia Moffet, daughter of Peter Moffet aka Peter Davison, the 5th Doctor. So she really IS the Doctor's daughter! smile

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2010, 11:46:36 PM »

they could bring in the daughter once the Doctor reaches the end of his regenerations....

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2010, 01:33:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 19, 2010, 11:46:36 PM

they could bring in the daughter once the Doctor reaches the end of his regenerations....

Speaking of that, Moffatt mentioned in an interview that the regeneration limit is....

“…addressed in a very, very cheeky way by an old friend of mine and I’m not going to tell you anymore about that,” said Moffat, telling us to “wait and see.”

-John

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 19, 2010, 06:23:14 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on April 19, 2010, 06:15:36 PM

So you are saying that the Doctor will be friendly with the Daleks in the future? slywink

You never know. Wasn't there an episode where the Doctor had to ally with the Daleks in order to fulfill something? Maybe there will be an episode where he goes far in the future where the Daleks want to hug instead of kill, and then hugging to death... icon_lol
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 06:23:02 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 19, 2010, 11:24:02 PM

There was also a rumor that the actress who played her and David Tennant were an item.

not too shabby, tennant, not too shabby at all.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 07:53:41 PM »

He also dated Sophia Myles (Girl In The Fireplace)for awhile, too...

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »

I have a simple rule of thumb:  if you ever appeared on Moonlight, you are dead to me.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »

I've just started watching the new ones with Eccleston off of Netflix.  I've rented some of the Houghton ones, but since those rely on getting the actual discs, progress is going to be slow.  

I'm three episodes in on the '05 series and enjoying it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 21, 2010, 07:54:54 PM

I have a simple rule of thumb:  if you ever appeared on Moonlight, you are dead to me.

OMG my wife still holds out hope that they are bringing that show back. Every once in a while there is some rumor about it. Of course, she'll watch anything with vampires and romance, because she's like a girl and stuff.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 21, 2010, 07:55:48 PM

I've just started watching the new ones with Eccleston off of Netflix.  I've rented some of the Houghton ones, but since those rely on getting the actual discs, progress is going to be slow.  

Eccleston is fun, but once Tennant takes over it's a whole new ballgame.  The show just skyrockets after that. 

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 21, 2010, 07:58:59 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 21, 2010, 07:55:48 PM

I've just started watching the new ones with Eccleston off of Netflix.  I've rented some of the Houghton ones, but since those rely on getting the actual discs, progress is going to be slow. 

Eccleston is fun, but once Tennant takes over it's a whole new ballgame.  The show just skyrockets after that. 

The Eccleston doctor was so different from Tennant's doctor. Eccleston seemed brilliant, likeable and charming, but also somehow very cold. Hard to describe as it's been a while since I've seen those episodes. The switch-over to Tennant, who just seemed so much more cheerful and fun really brought a huge change in the nature and tone of the show. It felt less serious and a good deal more fun. The show really takes off. After Tennant, the Eccleston doctor was just...kind of forgettable, unfortunately. Only doing one season will have that effect.

Matt Smith, OTOH - I can't say enough good things about him taking over the role. I can't wait to see more episodes.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »

I liked Eccleston's Doctor, but his character would occasionally express his superiority in a way that could offend you - not that Eccleston has anything to do with it, but his character was written with a very bi-polar view of humans. He would often talk about how great humans were, much like Tennant's Doctor, but, for example, in the episode where Rose tries to change her father's timeline, he says something like, "I did it again, I chose another stupid ape!" That's a very harsh thing to say and it makes you wince a bit. Tennant's Doctor never went to that extreme. Even though he would often talk about how clever he was, he never insulted humans to that degree.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »

My only problem with Smith is that he needs to tone it down with the flailing arms when he's walking.  He looks like a special ed kid at times.  Other than that, I think he's a fantastic doctor.  He's got a Tom Baker feel to him.  Tennant didn't really get all that mad with this sidekicks...and when he did it was very fleeting and more like a tantrum.  Baker could explode at his companions and scold them in such a way that he made them feel pretty badly (without being too demeaning as Teggy mentions)...and Smith seems to have that ability as well.

Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »

I was pretty happy with it.

Eccleston was fantastic- he definitely played the Doctor as on the edge after losing everything in the Time War. I wish he would have stayed at least another season.

Tennant gave a great performance as the constantly evolving Doctor, and I like the edge of madness that he toyed with in the end.

The only moment I cringed in the Smith episode was when he started using David Tennant's "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey" phrase. Other than that, it seems like a good fit. Can't wait for more.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2010, 01:14:09 AM »

not sure if any of you would be interested in this

we have a music game show here in the UK called 'Nevermind the Buzzcocks',and late last year(Chrimbo Special) there was a Dr Who special with guest presenter David Tennant with Dr Who Guests(well,two)

it's a music quiz,but it has a lot of Dr Who stuff in there for this episode...and yes i know there maybe some 'English' jokes that may fly over your head,but its a good episode and i thought you guys may enjoy it,Catherine Tate makes me laugh(she's out of her god damn head!!)

part 1:-10 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gobpF7EBvzc

part 2:-10 minutes 4 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvV8UW1k3SE&feature=related

Part 3:- 8 minutes 38 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm44sVkmsSc&feature=related

Part 4:- 1 minute 53 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8XOFHpkgg0&feature=related

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2010, 02:43:30 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 24, 2010, 01:14:09 AM

and yes i know there maybe some 'English' jokes that may fly over your head

I am currently watching Coupling and a bit in one episode was that everyone fantasizes about celebrities while they are having sex, which causes some kind of psychic link, bringing those celebrities together. At the end of the show 2 of the characters are in bed and they flash to the two people who were their secret fantasies. I had no idea who these people were but it was very obvious that it was very funny to British people biggrin

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2010, 03:18:23 AM »

Teggy:-
Spoiler for Hiden:

Quote from: Teggy on April 24, 2010, 02:43:30 AM

and yes i know there maybe some 'English' jokes that may fly over your head

I am currently watching Coupling and a bit in one episode was that everyone fantasizes about celebrities while they are having sex, which causes some kind of psychic link, bringing those celebrities together. At the end of the show 2 of the characters are in bed and they flash to the two people who were their secret fantasies. I had no idea who these people were but it was very obvious that it was very funny to British people biggrin

i put this in spoiler so not to derail the thread too much

I have never watched it(never even knew it was British)...If its what i have looked up then its Mariella Frostrup who Steve fantasizes about is a TV presenter who usually presents arts shows,not really that embarrassing as she is quite nice(IMO)..or at least not as bad as his fantasy could of been

however,for Susan if its Angus Deayton,then jesus christ,he was a presenter for a politics comedy quiz show(Have i got news for you)..before he got caught with a prostitute and had numerous other affairs and doing coke and made all the front pages,he was in that Mr Bean Sketch when Bean was making a sandwich on the park bench

here is a Dr Who themed pic to get us back on track icon_wink
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:22:13 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:05 AM »

I will point out the obvious: Every episode of Coupling (which was BRILLIANT!) was written by one Steven Moffatt who is, of course, the current show runner of Doctor Who! smile

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2010, 04:49:20 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 24, 2010, 03:18:23 AM

attempt number 2  Tongue

Because I can,
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2010, 04:57:10 AM »

not sure if any of you would be interested in this

we have a music game show here in the UK called 'Nevermind the Buzzcocks',and late last year(Chrimbo Special) there was a Dr Who special with guest presenter David Tennant with Dr Who Guests(well,two)
That was pretty damn hilarious. Thanks.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2010, 04:49:20 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 24, 2010, 03:18:23 AM

attempt number 2  Tongue

but they can levitate. Or is that only in the new version?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: