http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:15:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New 52: Justice League #1  (Read 1080 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

Today is the relaunch of the DC Universe, starting with Justice League #1. I'm eagerly anticipating this release, and ready to download it through my DC app on my iPad when it's released at 2:00pm EDT. In this first month, there's probably between 17 and 20 of the new books I plan to check out. All digitally, of course.

Is anyone else going to be checking the new DC books out? Impressions of JL #1?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »

like I mentioned in the relaunch thread I'm actually cutting back on my DC buying because of this.  I'm only getting 4 of their new titles, down from about 10.  I looked through the preview issue they put out and just couldn't get excited about any of them beyond the core Batman books (Batman, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin and Batman: The Dark Knight).  I figure if anything else catches my eye as they go on I'll just go the collected paperback route off of Amazon.

now I'm really loooking forward to Schism and Regenesis with the X-Men titles.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2011, 02:14:02 PM

now I'm really loooking forward to Schism and Regenesis with the X-Men titles.....

You know they're based on the timeline from the movie X-Men: First Class, right?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 31, 2011, 03:19:17 PM

You know they're based on the timeline from the movie X-Men: First Class, right?

no, they're all based on that new Candian timeline with mutant mooses.  they say the new X-Base is going to be in Vancouver but any idiot can tell that it's actually Bangkok.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2011, 03:21:33 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 31, 2011, 03:19:17 PM

no, they're all based on that new Candian timeline with mutant mooses.  they say the new X-Base is going to be in Vancouver but any idiot can tell that it's actually Bangkok.

I will use my antler powers to stop the Cuban Missile Crisis, eh.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »

IGN gives Justice League #1 an 8.0.  they say it's a bit on the slow side in pacing but Lee's art is great, and apparently issue #2 is almost 2 months away  saywhat

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »

I'm excited about getting this stuff on iPad. Not sure yet what titles. I know Marvel is slowly doing this as well, but I wish they would hurry up.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 06:02:42 PM »

yeah I've been enjoying reading the occasional comic storylines on the ipad and this new move from DC will probably push me to buying even more.

I've been trying to read through the Flashpoint specials to prep for giving the new comics a chance but they've been releasing them sooooo slowly. Would like to see how that turns out before buying the new comics (which I believe are based on the outcome of the Flashpoint right?)

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 04:38:05 AM »

The digital availability is the killer feature for me, but even that aside, I liked JL #1. Jim Lee's art is great, and it was something of a different feel from the "old" DCU. However, like most comics, I feel like there's just too few pages of story in this one. Nice, dramatic pose for the "cliffhanger," but not a whole lot else in this one.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »

I've never read a comic in my life but once I heard of a "reboot" and same day availability for downloads, I became "IN!".

I'm gonna grab Justice League, but maybe you guys can help with some of the other stuff. I'm a Batman fan, but it looks like there's going to be about 32,000 different types. Any recommendations?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 01, 2011, 11:02:26 AM

I'm a Batman fan, but it looks like there's going to be about 32,000 different types. Any recommendations?

Batman and Detective comics have been the core Batman books for awhile, so those will probably remain the two basic Bat books.  if you only had to pick two I'd go with those.

Batman & Robin will focus on the Dynamic Duo of Bruce Wayne and Damian Wayne(even though Robin will probably appear in all the Batman titles), while Batman: The Dark Knight was supposed to be a more supernatural title centered on Batman-  whether or not that remains the same is uncertain.  Batwoman is Barbara Kane and Batgirl is Barbara Gordon again.  Nightwing will be Dick Grayson again and the first issues seem to center on a circus.  Red Hood and the Outlaws will feature Jason Todd (former Robin killed by the Joker then resurrected by Talia al Ghul).  Birds of Prey is a team title, although I haven't been following their new line-up, and Catwoman will be her adventures where it sounds like she is going to be flipping between good and bad.

Because I can,
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 01, 2011, 11:02:26 AM

I've never read a comic in my life but once I heard of a "reboot" and same day availability for downloads, I became "IN!".

I'm gonna grab Justice League, but maybe you guys can help with some of the other stuff. I'm a Batman fan, but it looks like there's going to be about 32,000 different types. Any recommendations?

I just started reading them through the iPad apps as well. Now that they're going to offer same-day availability - I'm probably going to need to set a limit on myself to keep from overspending.

As for good comics - I'm really enjoying the core flashpoint series which I believe is what leads up to the big reboot. And I did notice that there is a free preview issue that came out yesterday that showed off a bunch of the new titles. In that issue - I was pretty impressed with how some of the characters looked in this reboot and that art looks really great.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »

They had a digital sale yesterday on every issue of Mark Waid's follow up to Irredeemable, Incorruptible.  99 cents an issue.  I picked up all 7 that were available.  I'll have to keep checking in as those make purchases much more palatable.

P.S.  If you love quirky horror comics, I cannot stress how good Witch Doctor is.   Here's a free preview issue for your enjoyment.  Love it, love it, love it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:40:54 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »

I don't get it. I've read that these are reboots for the entire universe, but they are continuing existing storylines? How does that work?

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 01, 2011, 05:08:59 PM

I don't get it. I've read that these are reboots for the entire universe, but they are continuing existing storylines? How does that work?

Jim Lee was on NPR yesterday afternoon and the way he described it was not that it was a true reboot insomuch as it was a revamping or streamlining.  He explicitly stated that they're throwing out a ton of history that was accumulated over the decades that DC has been publishing comics and going back to the core of the books:  Batman is a vigilante driven by the memory of his parents' murder, Superman is the last son of Krypton sent to Earth in order to save his life, Hepcat is a sex god delivered to the women of this world as a gift from the heavens, etc..

They're going to pick and choose the history they want to incorporate into the characters as they go along.  That way the essentials (Clark loves Lois, apokolips is a really bad place run by a really bad guy, etc.) are still there to build upon, but the clutter of years of different writers has been swept away in order to allow new readers to jump in without knowing the often intricate backstories of these characters.

I read the JLA issue last night and I have to say, other than some minor quibbles, it wasn't too bad.  But GL is just coming across as an amazing a#$hole...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »

I had the same question. I guess this is not exactly akin to the Marvel Ultimates line.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »

The characters you've known and loved are essentially the same, they just woke up with amnesia yesterday.   icon_wink

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »

I would have preferred a hard reboot. For folks who don't know a lot of DCU history, this will probably be pretty easy to pick up. For folks like me, who are soaked in DCU history, figuring out what is or isn't "real" backstory anymore is a real headache.

Still, this is crazy ambitious, and I hope it works.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 01, 2011, 06:35:33 PM

I would have preferred a hard reboot. For folks who don't know a lot of DCU history, this will probably be pretty easy to pick up. For folks like me, who are soaked in DCU history, figuring out what is or isn't "real" backstory anymore is a real headache.

Still, this is crazy ambitious, and I hope it works.

As long as they incorporate very basic story lines back into the characters, I'll be okay.  My beloved Legion of Super-Heroes has been revamped, rebooted and reimagined at least a dozen times over the years.  I gave up on a title I loved because it stopped making sense years ago.  I'm looking forward to what they do with them now.  Hopefully we'll get a return to the type of stories found in the pre-crisis Legion books.

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 11:50:35 PM »

I downloaded Justice League on the Ipad yesterday.   I thought it was a good read.   At 3.99 though, I thought it was a little pricey but I'll probably ready a few monthly.  I thought there were going to be more titles available digitally but I only saw Justice League.  Have the rest not been released in print yet?
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on September 02, 2011, 11:50:35 PM

I downloaded Justice League on the Ipad yesterday.   I thought it was a good read.   At 3.99 though, I thought it was a little pricey but I'll probably ready a few monthly.  I thought there were going to be more titles available digitally but I only saw Justice League.  Have the rest not been released in print yet?

I read something that said the prices would decrease over time. i.e. after 30 days price will be $1.99 and then 30 days later down to $.99.

Not sure if I'm remember the timelines right (or even if that article is gospel) but i'm hoping it's true.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 02:29:54 AM »

Some comics will be $3.99 (too much, IMO), and in 28 days will drop to $2.99.

Most comics will be $2.99 (about right, IMO), and in 28 days will drop to $1.99.

When I first started reading comics, Superman books were 75.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 03:14:32 AM »

I might pick some up at the $2 price point. I was collecting a lot a few years ago, and even with discounts couldn't justify it. That said, look to impulse creations or other online shops for 30% discounts on new print copies... rather have 30% off print than digital at full price...
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 03, 2011, 02:29:54 AM

When I first started reading comics, Superman books were 75.

In MY day, when I started, they were $0.12 and "All in color for a dime!" still had meaning. icon_biggrin

I stopped buying after they went past $0.25 for the regulars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 03, 2011, 02:29:54 AM

When I first started reading comics, Superman books were 75¢.

ah, the goold old days.  I remember when they went to a buck, then 1.25, and they were at 1.50 when I took a break from collecting.  3-4 bucks an issue is getting kind of ridiculous, I limit myself to 100 bucks worth of comics a month but if they were still under 2 I'd be getting a whole lot more.

I figured with me losing four DC titles I might as well go through what I get and cut down on the ones I get from Marvel and Dark Horse.  it's kind of a sad commentary on their pricing when I think how much I won't be spending by cutting out about 10 titles.

Because I can,
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 04:29:33 AM »

It should be noted that the quality of comics today is much higher than it was in 1989. The plotting is more complex, and the writing (generally) better. The quality of paper for the print editions, and the quality of the color and printing is exceptionally better. The basic DC book today is printed in a format nicer than 1989's "Prestige Format," which ran $1.50 an issue back then.

So, all in all, I don't consider $2.99 to be too expensive for a comic book, given today's quality. $3.99 is too much, though. Gosh, for half that I could get a book with no ads and a chromium cover in the early 1990s!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »

I liked the book. Green Lantern is really douchey, but I never liked him anyway. I mean really, a super hero who's afraid of yellow?
 icon_wink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 04, 2011, 04:29:33 AM

It should be noted that the quality of comics today is much higher than it was in 1989. The plotting is more complex, and the writing (generally) better. The quality of paper for the print editions, and the quality of the color and printing is exceptionally better. The basic DC book today is printed in a format nicer than 1989's "Prestige Format," which ran $1.50 an issue back then.

So, all in all, I don't consider $2.99 to be too expensive for a comic book, given today's quality. $3.99 is too much, though. Gosh, for half that I could get a book with no ads and a chromium cover in the early 1990s!

physical quality I'll give you, but i feel the writing has declined immensely since the 80's and early 90's.  Perhaps I've just left the demographic they're targetting long behind me, but the majority of major titles I've picked up and perused over the years have been significantly worse than those halcyon days of yore.  Back then, the writers were attempting to deconstruct the superhero myth in some cases, bolstering them with stories grounded in humanity in others.  The titles I've checked out over the years (especially from Marvel) have been teen angst and soap opera stories for the most part.  

As for the price, I'll take cheaper newsprint and less glossy covers if it means not paying almost the same as a paperback novel for a 30 page comic book.  I'm a cheap bastard.   icon_wink

edit:  i should note that i think indie titles have become the gold standard in story these days...and fortunately, some of those indie writers are finding their way to the big leagues, so hopefully i'm just out of step and need to read a bit more from the majors.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:11:03 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: